OS-tan Mafia. Mafia win!

For all your forum games, competitions and quizzes.
Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Re: OS-tan Mafia. Mafia win!

Post by Aren142 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:36 am

Shio hime wrote:Part of the reason there was a mafia announcer was to evidence that you can't necessarily assume allegiance from role. At least I intend to keep it that way in my future games.
Good. This is partly what made this good.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Nintendo Ninja

Post by Nintendo Ninja » Mon May 02, 2016 10:49 am

Shio hime wrote:Part of the reason there was a mafia announcer was to evidence that you can't necessarily assume allegiance from role. At least I intend to keep it that way in my future games.
But my whole role was designed for the game to assume my allegiance lol

Also while I remember to mention it letting the Mafia act and kill was something that should probably have been mentioned to both sides initially. Or at least to watcher/tracker.
Also if it sounds like I'm nitpicking, I did actually really like the setup on the whole. It seemed to revolve considerably around my role with lots of red herrings like Edd, Kok and to an extent GH which would have screwed the village quite easily unless they were found out early and they also worked to make my role a bit less OP than it at first seemed. Even if my role did sort of kill conversation a bit as village leaders suck. But yeah, just trying to give some constructive feedback.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Mon May 02, 2016 11:09 am

Well your role was to confirm your allegiance beyond all doubt to the other villagers. I wondered what your role would do in this game and how you would use it. Overall I'm very pleased with how it played out. I threw in red herrings like Miller and Unlucky Guy as well as the Mole to account for the fact that the village was stacked on information gathering roles. The SK also had a number of concessions so that he might actually stand a chance this game but he gooseberry fool that up night 1.

I think it's fair to admit (and pretty obvious) that role distribution was not entirely random; I pretty much gave people roles I thought they would play well or roles that I haven't seen them play before. Some people got a bit shafted (sorry Edd) with joke roles and stuff but we'll see what we can do about that next game.

Yeah there were a couple of rule trips I had that I didn't really think about until much later in the game like giving the mafia an option to choose who to send in a priority order to account for (not) being lynched etc. as well as things like killing and acting (although if Hoyle had caught one of Garf or G he would have got 2 visit results which would have given the game away).

I'd like to hear what more people thought of the unicycle setup and what they thought of the role list and things like no role PM sharing but still being able to share the information in your PM.

I'll probably try to keep mixing it up with my more role heavy games, but for the most part it will just depend on how I feel like hosting at the time.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Decretum
NNID: Kotchi miteru?
PSN ID: Kotchi minaide!
Xbox Gamertag: Wanawanawana
Steam ID: Wana nanda??

Post by Decretum » Mon May 02, 2016 11:19 am

No role pm sharing is always a good idea tbh
And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Mon May 02, 2016 11:21 am

I certainly prefer it.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

euan707
NNID: Cameron
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2551-9050

Post by euan707 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

Think the Unicycle setup works well for these games, provided the phases are long enough for everyone to check in during them.

As for the roles, I think they all worked reasonably well. I'd agree with Nun thay mafia should only have 1 action a night, and if not that it should be made clear to everyone.

Also I got the result for another role night 1 but I'm sure you're well aware of that. A minor slip up and considering it was the only positive result I got I shouldn't really complain.

Thanks for hosting Shio.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

Decretum
NNID: Kotchi miteru?
PSN ID: Kotchi minaide!
Xbox Gamertag: Wanawanawana
Steam ID: Wana nanda??

Post by Decretum » Mon May 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Not sure why but sonm mafias just adopted this idea of action or kill for the mafias which I don't really agree with.
First off it essentially requires you to make a nearly entire vanilla mafia or they all need roles, and even then you need all the roles to be equally strong or else the game becomes "put your roles in the firing line not the players"
Having action or kill means you may have to throw a mafian under the bus who is actually a better player for the team just bc you have that one guy with the op role.
I don't necessarily think it needs to be stated how the mafia works since that's removing another method that the mafia can use to play around the village, people hust need to accept the game isn't black and white nor is it set in stone.
And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death

Nintendo Ninja

Post by Nintendo Ninja » Mon May 02, 2016 1:21 pm

The main reason I bought it up is just that it messes with the watcher results (and insomniac etc I guess) a fair bit as you could see Guwuh target Rik and assume, quite rightly that he wouldn't be able to have killed another player that night. I don't think it really came into play this game outside of Pi announcing and killing the same night which afaik wasn't brought up in thread as evidence to lynch Rik but it would be unfortunate to get wrecked by something like that at a later date.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I think the Mafia kill+action on the same night only becomes an issue when you have tracking/forensics roles because it can give the game away too quickly but also makes a little less sense flavour wise. But if those sorts of roles aren't in play, then I see no reason why not. But then you have to take into account things like a village hooker, is it going to block one action or both. I usually like including at least one Mafia role that related to how they kill, i.e. ninja/poisoners/etc, because then the player's not being put under the bus by his teammates having better roles than him, he's actually adding an extra contribution by being the killer. Though I've never been too sure if that logic works or not.

I definitely like the no role PM sharing. Keep that. Made us work to catch people. None of the copy/paste dissections.

Unicycular phases were decent enough, but not perfect because you were essentially having to plan a phase ahead while still trying to lynch someone, so you couldn't act accordingly like having "well, if this guy's Mafia, then we can know this, this and this and do these things to win it". And with things like Row's last minute swap, it can be quite easy to lose a target when you normally only expect to miss if they die during the night. It does speed up the game a lot though.

The one thing I will say about Edd's role was that it was quite easy to believe when he claimed it as early as he did. I hadn't claimed a tracking role at that point so it would've been difficult to make up successfully with an idea of that sort of role in the game. It also made so much sense to have a role to make sure the tracker and watcher weren't getting 100% accurate results when there was a miller and innocent Mafia to throw the cop off.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

MintChocChip
NNID: TSF
PSN ID: 4
Xbox Gamertag: LYF
Steam ID: thelethalgenius

Post by MintChocChip » Mon May 02, 2016 8:22 pm

The only argument worth anything against unicycle is losing the target to a night action as they were lynched, but this can be prevented by just asking for two targets, and if the first is lynched the second is used. Everything else is irrelevant, as all it does is speed the game up.
fluffyKittan - He's used to sitting in teamspeak with us where people don't cry when somebody tells you to go drink some H2SO4 for being bad at what you're doing
regg - I entirely surrender to your superior wit.