Mage Hard- finally the last sodding bit

For all your forum games, competitions and quizzes.
JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Re: Mage Hard- finally the last sodding bit

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Eh, I think there are quite a few tweaks to be made as I'm sure you've figured. The combo string is definitely interesting but I kind of feel you can make them too long so the battles don't really present much of an issue, you can just spam to an extent. I figure you've kind of left them purposefully limitless to avoid clashing with the stamina system in Transcendence but maybe some rejigging with how many you can do before an enemy breaks out, like repeating combinations or something might have some impact on how likely an opponent is to break out of a combo, or you can have specific combos that chain together like a fighter that you can string together for more impact, etc. And yeah, group battles didn't really seem to gel amazingly, probably because so many people were involved, but that needs a little look at too.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Re: Mage Hard- finally the last sodding bit

Post by Garf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:05 pm

JenovaPX wrote:Eh, I think there are quite a few tweaks to be made as I'm sure you've figured. The combo string is definitely interesting but I kind of feel you can make them too long so the battles don't really present much of an issue, you can just spam to an extent.
Yeah, the plan for the main game is that low attack strength and high enemy HP will lead to the fights not being winnable in the alotted time. I might do an 'infinite breaker' for when the combo starts to loop, like in Skullgirls, so just looping two moves over and over also breaks the combo, in addition to the 'x3 in a row' rule.
JenovaPX wrote:I figure you've kind of left them purposefully limitless to avoid clashing with the stamina system in Transcendence but maybe some rejigging with how many you can do before an enemy breaks out, like repeating combinations or something might have some impact on how likely an opponent is to break out of a combo, or you can have specific combos that chain together like a fighter that you can string together for more impact, etc.
Yeah, the main difference between the Stamina/Magic in this game and AP in Transcendence is that AP restores at the end of the turn, while Stamina and Magic drain. I didn't put it in this for simplicity's sake, but matches have a limit of 5 turns in the full game, with the option to flee the battle at any time and go to the next day, where you will recover Stamina/Magic, but leave the weakened enemy able to be finished by other players. I might change one of the existing stats to improve how well your moves link, as well as make actual probabilities of a move dropping a combo. I did also start making combo lists, so I might try and finish those.
JenovaPX wrote:And yeah, group battles didn't really seem to gel amazingly, probably because so many people were involved, but that needs a little look at too.
Yeah haha. I'll come up with a way to solve it. There's going to be incentives to fight alone, as well. Thanks for the feedback