ScreenGurus Writers Thread

Show off your creativity! Also come here for signature and avatar requests, community projects and competitions.
Shaun2k5

ScreenGurus Writers Thread

Post by Shaun2k5 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:16 am

As part of our working arrangement with SONM, we're extending the option for you guys to get your work published on ScreenGurus. What this means in the simplest terms is that if you have an interest in possibly jumping into the gaming industry; this is a good opportunity to get your work out there. Test the waters and such.

If there's a piece of gaming news that you want to write about, go for it. If there's a current issue burning in your mind and you fancy having a say about it; why not go for it? Is the NX annoying you? Are microtransactions winding you up? Then here's your chance to vent. The idea of this thread is to create an area where you can talk about ideas and work towards submitting pieces for the website in a more forum-friendly manner.

How Will This Work?

Very simple really. If you have an idea for a piece you want to write, just fill in the following form;
Article Title:
Brief Description of Article content:
I'll get back to you ASAP, approving or declining the idea.

If approved, you can get on with putting your idea into action. Go wild. You PM me the piece when it's done and that's all she wrote really. I'll offer feedback, and if it's good to go - it'll make it to the site.

If declined, 99% of the time offer up a reason for it and suggest alternatives.

What Will Get Accepted?

Opinion Pieces: If you want to write about something modern or retro - that's fine.
Reviews: Retro reviews or modern reviews are welcome.
Lists: Yes, we post lists and yes we will accept them so long as they're not insanely silly.
Videogame/Movie/Television/Wrestling posts: Yes, you're more than welcome to post about anything within these four areas.

What Will Get Rejected?

Advertising Pieces: We have a very strict advertising policy. AKA, we don't really like it if people write things with the explicit intent of advertising their stuff. You can link to your blog/Twitter/Youtube channel at the end of the piece and where appropriate.
Gallerys: We don't do image galleries.
Anime/Music/Tech: Right this second we don't have these areas covered.

Will I Be Credited?

Everything you post will be credited fully to you, and will be posted in the second post of this thread clearly indicating it was your work also. Everything posted on ScreenGurus will be posted under the SONM username; but your name will be attached to it there.

Any Requirements?

The only thing we ask is that any pieces submitted are 500 words in length and be of decent English standard.
Last edited by Shaun2k5 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaun2k5

Re: ScreenGurus Writers Thread

Post by Shaun2k5 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:21 am

Noticeboard Post

Review Codes

From time to time, we will be posting review codes up for games that you guys can claim and review for yourself. We're still discussing with the SONM admin team exactly how this will work - but those who contribute will likely go to the front of the queue for any titles that end up here.

Last edited by Shaun2k5 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

euan707
NNID: Cameron
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2551-9050

Post by euan707 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:49 am

Would say an article about a video game's soundtrack and how it affects how the game plays ect be accepted? Music is the only unique thing I could write about but I think it's an important factor in a lot of games.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

Shaun2k5

Post by Shaun2k5 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:35 pm

euan707 wrote:Would say an article about a video game's soundtrack and how it affects how the game plays ect be accepted? Music is the only unique thing I could write about but I think it's an important factor in a lot of games.
Sounds great! I'm naff at picking soundtracks so it would just be 10 Final Fantasy songs.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Article Title: Are we on the verge of a local multiplayer resurgence?
Brief Description of Article content: A quick look back at local multiplayer on consoles, how it became less fashionable as online grew in popularity, looking at some recent successful examples (maybe towerfall, nidhogg 2, overcooked), and looking forward to the Nintendo Switch and how it may lead to a resurgence in local multiplayer.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Have a couple of things in mind for this, haven't got much going on next week so I'll try to hammer out something then. Is there a strict upper word limit on things or just keep it to ~500?
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Shaun2k5

Post by Shaun2k5 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:41 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Article Title: Are we on the verge of a local multiplayer resurgence?
Brief Description of Article content: A quick look back at local multiplayer on consoles, how it became less fashionable as online grew in popularity, looking at some recent successful examples (maybe towerfall, nidhogg 2, overcooked), and looking forward to the Nintendo Switch and how it may lead to a resurgence in local multiplayer.
That sounds like a great article. Local multiplayer is a huge thing for me so would be a good read :)

And there is no upper limit on articles

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:31 am

How about an opinion article about the Switch - why despite the love and gaming community clamouring over it, it'll end up to fail dismally?

Shaun2k5

Post by Shaun2k5 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Warmij wrote:How about an opinion article about the Switch - why despite the love and gaming community clamouring over it, it'll end up to fail dismally?
That'd be fun to be honest.

I'm doing a piece this evening discussing why I'm not so hot on it because Nintendo hasn't discussed hard facts.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Shaun2k5 wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:Article Title: Are we on the verge of a local multiplayer resurgence?
That sounds like a great article. Local multiplayer is a huge thing for me so would be a good read :)

And there is no upper limit on articles
PM'd B)

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Shaun2k5 wrote:
Warmij wrote:How about an opinion article about the Switch - why despite the love and gaming community clamouring over it, it'll end up to fail dismally?

I'm doing a piece this evening discussing why I'm not so hot on it because Nintendo hasn't discussed hard facts.
I'll get an article to you soon but I'm not sure when because I'm pretty busy this week, but I have some definite points which need to be addressed

Shaun2k5

Post by Shaun2k5 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:09 pm

Warmij wrote:
Shaun2k5 wrote:

I'll get an article to you soon but I'm not sure when because I'm pretty busy this week, but I have some definite points which need to be addressed
No rush at all!

I'm very pleased to announce the first article went up - check it out.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:28 am

Super cool to see that up there B)

Interested in seeing what else we put out there next!

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:34 pm

I'd like to write a review of Gurumin 3D, which came out on Thursday on the 3DS eshop, if I can!

Shaun2k5

Post by Shaun2k5 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:34 pm

Pleased to announce the second piece has gone up!

http://www.screengurus.com/2016/10/31/g ... view-2016/

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:03 pm

It goes up under an SONM name? That's weak, dude. I was thinking about doing something, but if I'm limited to an SONM writer credit with my username then I don't see a point. The only person that benefits from that is OR for exposure, nobody else.
Bucket

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Got to agree with Nofes that it would be much more appealing for everyone to get their actual name on the article. This something you could change Shaun? I imagine more than a few people feel the same.

Shaun2k5

Post by Shaun2k5 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:33 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Got to agree with Nofes that it would be much more appealing for everyone to get their actual name on the article. This something you could change Shaun? I imagine more than a few people feel the same.
I'm cool with that. What would be the best way to enact that?

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:10 am

I would suggest updating the OP to let people know that when they submit a piece they can also include their real name in the PM. If they do use that, and if not use their SONM username?

Having the link back to SONM at the bottom of the article is fine enough without needing things to be also under the name SONM, I think :)

(As the SONM user only has the two articles of my own up, maybe you could just rename that one to Scott Hall and then future articles from others can go under their own name?)

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:30 pm

Is your site WordPress? You could add in additional stuff for people to submit directly pending approval and editing.
Bucket

Shaun2k5

Post by Shaun2k5 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:06 pm

If people are comfortable giving me their email addresses that's fine I guess.

euan707
NNID: Cameron
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2551-9050

Post by euan707 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm looking at doing a multi-forum poll in the new year looking at what the most popular WiiU games were, and it would be cool to have a more official platform to post the results, as well as posting them on the forums.

It would run pretty similarly to this, but across SONM, GRcade and GNamer.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU