Scapegoat sometimes draws stuff maybe?

Show off your creativity! Also come here for signature and avatar requests, community projects and competitions.
Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Hey all! Thanks for checking out my page! In my spare time, I like to make Let's Plays on YouTube of my favorite games. I try to 100% these games and do a decent amount of editing in my videos because I feel that it is important. This post will contain links to all my LP's as they come, if you want to watch them then go ahead, but if you have any critique, I'd love to hear it! I'm always looking for ways to improve, and any feedback is awesome, even if it's bad feedback it lets me know what I can do to improve.

Videos
[/color][/b]

But videos are not all I do! I'm currently studying Game Design at college, and starting next year will be learning 3D Modelling in University. I plan on becoming a Game Asset Developer when I am older, and I love 3D modelling! While I haven't done anything worthy just yet, expect to see some of my work in the future!

Models
[/color][/b]
Coming Soon!

Sometimes, I do like drawing, not very often, but I might feel in the mood now and then, so I'm leaving this section here in case I decide to draw something.
Art
[/color][/b]
Coming Soon!

I've recently taken an interest in sprite art, so I thought I'd give it a go whenever I felt up to it.
Sprites
[/color][/b]
This is some sort of paint turret thing. It shoots paint balls. Still need to learn how to animate sprites because it's just a static sprite at the moment :/
[/color]
Last edited by Scapegoat on Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: Scapegoat's Videos and Art

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:30 pm

That is a nicely arranged OP.

Also gave a brief watch to some Spyro (because spyro is great of course) and it definitely seems above the average Let's Play standard, so good work

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:07 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:That is a nicely arranged OP.

Also gave a brief watch to some Spyro (because spyro is great of course) and it definitely seems above the average Let's Play standard, so good work
Thank you very much! I am a perfectionist at heart so I like to make everything pretty and polished off (I spent 3 hours straight working on an assignment that I was later told was only worth a pass and didn't need much detail)

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:53 pm

I reviewed Pokemon Omega Ruby, I'd really like feedback on this as I struggled with scoring the game. What do you guys think? Any criticism is hugely appreciated as I can only get better by knowing what i did wrong. Thanks!

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Great matching of visuals to your speech. My main point for improvement would be that you tend to overuse 'nice' to describe aspects of the game. Alone saying something is 'nice' is not very useful as a description, and it is worse, like anything, when repeated.

But yeah, glad to see another video!

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:05 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Great matching of visuals to your speech. My main point for improvement would be that you tend to overuse 'nice' to describe aspects of the game. Alone saying something is 'nice' is not very useful as a description, and it is worse, like anything, when repeated.

But yeah, glad to see another video!
Looking back through my script, I pretty much started every paragraph off with "[Insert Feature] is very nice". Thanks for the criticism, I wouldn't have noticed that otherwise. I'll definitely work on it in the future.
Thanks for the post, I appreciate it when people take the time to write something, be it criticism or otherwise.

Tentacle

Post by Tentacle » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:34 am

- Channel branding is very nice and clean, especially the thumbnails. Fantastic work on those! Having an established identity early on YouTube can really help you separate yourself from every other Tom, Dick and Harry doing content.

- Microphone is clean and the audio balance lines up well with the gameplay. Nothing else really needed to said.

- Review work can be improved upon. Lack of background audio made moments of dead-air and general gaps awkward, so utilise rips of the games OST whenever possible. You also don’t seem as comfortable on the mic reading larger scripted work than that of typical LP’s and it comes across in your voice. Often I read mine in an overdramatic voice the first time to loosen up and ease myself into a script a bit better. Finally use a variety of descriptive words, like OR mentioned. When writing a script, press F5 in word and search for certain words to see how many times you use them.

- Try and take advantage of creative outlets. r/NormalbootsUnited is dedicated to sharing gaming content, plus ThatOneVideoGamer and ScrewAttack both have parts of the websites set up to host user made videos. SONM will get the odd subscriber maybe, but you need to take advantage of every site around!

Keep up the good work dude
YouTube | Twitter | Ask.fm | The Artist Formerly Known As Random-Hero

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Updated the OP.

I recently took an interest in sprite art, so I thought I'd try and learn how to sprite. I gave it a quick go and came up with a sprite for this paint turret. I really need to learn how to animate sprites. I also suck at making large sprites. I really need to practice more. Here's the sprite anyway, let me know what you think of it and if anyone has any good resources on learning to sprite I'd love some links to them

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:43 am

Yeah finally updating this shiz because new let's play and stuff.

Just started a Pokemon Colosseum Let's Play, so if you like you can give it a watch. Would really appreciate feedback, this video is the first usage of a brand new intro and outro I've made for myself, so I'm really looking for critique on that especially.

Now I'm out of work and don't have college assignments pouring out of my ears I'm gonna give this whole Let's Play thing a serious attempt, so hopefully I can keep uploads a little more consistent with this LP. Heck, I have plenty of time, might even take up sprite art/modelling/drawing again.

Expect to maybe see some terrible drawings or sprites in the nearish future.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm

The intro and outro are great - short, clean, to the point. There is nothing more frustrating than a 30 second opening spiel, so good work on that.

Volume got me at the start, as you started with the super quiet game audio then your voice jumped in ultra loud because I had turned it up. Then when the opening cutscene started, you could have done with raising the game audio so it was easier to watch.

I'm also not a fan of people reading out in game dialogue, but y'know that's me. I'm sure some people like that in an LP.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 pm

You raise some fantastic criticism OR, I never really considered turning the volume of the game up during cutscenes, watching it back through you're right about that intro, would hurt headphone users especially if they turn up the volume to full not expecting the voice to be so loud. Definitely something to fix in future episodes.

As far as the eton mess voice acting goes, it's certainly not for everyone, I'm by no means any good at it, but I like voice acting the dialogue to give a little flavour and potentially comedy to otherwise boring-ish parts of the game. Also gives the characters a little personality to me, and it's super fun to put on voices for the characters. In future episodes I give Miror B a sort of flamboyant yet deep voice, really fun to attempt. As you say, voice overs are not for everyone, it can even drive some viewers away, but it's all about fun to me so I'll keep doing what I'm doing on that front. Someone out there has to like terrible voice overs as much as me.

Thanks for the criticism! I'm glad you liked the intro/outro, I really didn't want a super long intro like some people have, I wanted something that fit the theme of my channel and provided some sort of concrete beginning to the video, so I'm pretty pleased how it turned out. Didn't mind making the outro 30 seconds as if people don't care for it it's at the end of the video so they can just click off anyway at that point.

Really glad you checked out my video in any case, for someone as small as me every single view is really nice to see, let alone actual criticism!

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:43 am

I spent the last hour drawing Kanzaki from Beelzebub and for once it turned out not terrible so I thought I would share:
I'm too scared to try and colour it in so I'll probably leave it as is.

Was actually very fun I'd forgotten how fun drawing can be so I might attempt something else soon. Maybe Oga or something, I'm not sure yet we'll see.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Yes hello so I drew Chitoge and I've begun colouring her in as you can see my colouring skills need a lot of work and as it turns out trying to keep a steady line while using a mouse is very difficult but hey I think it's turning out alright here is my progress:

I will update if I finish her and if not I intend to draw Rem and Ram from Re:Zero next so look out for best meidos coming soon in a thread near you.

I also might draw best girl Kanbaru from Monogatari but we shall see whether I have the willpower to not slack off like I usually do.

tune in next time for more how to not colour things in featuring scapegoat.

OrangeRakoon

Re: Scapegoat sometimes draws stuff maybe?

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed May 11, 2016 9:45 am

Are you freehand line drawing with a mouse? What software are you using?

There is probably some kind of line tool/path tool that might work a lot better for doing neats

Scapegoat

Re: Scapegoat sometimes draws stuff maybe?

Post by Scapegoat » Wed May 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Sketched it on paper, then scanned in the paper and drew over the sketch with a mouse.

My method is bad. I'm using Photoshop. My scanner is good but pencil lines don't tend to work very well when transferred to digital mediums especially when they're on watercolour paper, which results in the lines not looking very sharp when scanned in. As such I try to go over the lines with the brush tool to make them a little sharper and not as thick, but as I'm using a mouse it ends up with my lines looking pretty shaky. Furthermore, my lines are far too thick, as my pencil lines are also really thick so if I don't go over them with a thick brush then there are large gaps in the drawing.

I own a really old graphics tablet but idk where the stylus is. I'd like to be able to draw completely digitally, which would solve most of the problems I'm encountering, but without a tablet it's not very doable. Also need to get better at blending tbh.

I'm gonna keep practicing though, if my willpower permits me to. If anyone has any tips on getting nice and thin outlines from my scan that'd be awesome. I just can't seem to figure out a good way to do it. Maybe I should just try and draw thinner lines from the get go rather than trying to fix them in Photoshop.