The forum for all Pokémon fans!
andymck

Re: Teh Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Thread

Post by andymck » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:07 pm

tbh the most over-centralizing pokemon in gen 1 ou was tauros by far

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:10 pm

yeah definitely. just from usage alone normal was more predominant than psychic (Chansey, Tauros, even Snorlax etc. were all more threatening than something like zam)
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:12 pm

Zam got killed by any phys move. It was basically used as a recover wall. exeggutor got sleep powder which made it better. Normal was so good because the onyl things in ou that walled it were gengar rhydon and golem.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

andymck

Post by andymck » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:13 pm

komodo joe wrote:yeah definitely. just from usage alone normal was more predominant than psychic (Chansey, Tauros, even Snorlax etc. were all more threatening than something like zam)
yeah tbh those three were automatically in most teams. then probably starmie exeggutor and alakazam, maybe one of golem/rhydon to replace one of those three.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:15 pm

I think I remember having Starmie as the default psychic mon to use. Not like it matters though, all the psychic mon were top tier OU mon anyway aside from Hypno and Mr. Mime. But yeah, normal has some real OP mon in it's court too.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

fluffyKittan

Post by fluffyKittan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Golem and rhydon needed to be considered because they walled zapdos and jolteon which could destroy worlds given the chance.
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:16 am

you guys just basically listed what makes gen 1 a snoozefest for me.

like weezing was trash as was a lot of my favourite mon which sucked especially in the e4 heck even lorelei was tough for my team.

also rip bug types they figuratively took a massive dump to the face in gen 1 none of them were even remotely useful the only bug type I ever struggled against was koga's venomoth and that was more poison type than bug type.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:50 am

In fairness bug types have been shat on all they way up to like gen v sans moves like u turn.
Destiny is Destiny.

fluffyKittan

Post by fluffyKittan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 am

Bugs and Japanese subculture m8. Also wheezing was one of your favorite pokemon? Are you a germophiloe or something?

Forry has been good since gen 2 tbh, and scizor weas at least in bl till gen IV. It's quiver dance that buffed the lower bugs but tbh the whole point was you got an easy to raise pokemon which evolved into 2nd stage at level 10, so is quite good early on before you can get things in the safari zone later to replace it. I think that's fair when you consider the original 151, most of which now are trash anyway.

Bee Doof
FKA Nintendoofus
NNID: Penguin5632
Xbox Gamertag: Bee Doof

Post by Bee Doof » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:47 pm

DUX

fluffyKittan

Post by fluffyKittan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Psyduck is the MVP of Pikachu's vacation, eating dem apples.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:57 pm

tbf tho both foretress and scizor are good because of that secondary steel type, they're more steel than bug type.

things picked up with u-turn and bug buzz making bug types not totally useless also like you said quiver dance is strong as gooseberry fool you can make a vivillon sweep almost the entire e4 + champion with a few set up.

also yes weezing is cool af I don't think poison types in general get enough attention same goes for ice types it's a shame really because I think they're really cool types.

fluffyKittan

Post by fluffyKittan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:52 pm

but poison get's buffed from gen to gen how can you say they get no attention?

And tbh forry is good because of utility not the steel (admitidly it helps a bit but only because of the daul typng it gets with BUG), if it didnt get spikes, toxic spikes, rocks, spin, volt switch or gyro ball (several of which are later gens I know) then it would have had less usage due to poor SpDef and 4x fire weakness and sturdy not acting like a sash prior to gen V. Also I forgot heracross, that thing with megahorn has always been a threat, it certainly isn't more of a fighting type than a bug it's as much of each as well (don't forget CC wasnt untill gen IV)

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:44 pm

fluffyKittan wrote:but poison get's buffed from gen to gen how can you say they get no attention?

And tbh forry is good because of utility not the steel (admitidly it helps a bit but only because of the daul typng it gets with BUG), if it didnt get spikes, toxic spikes, rocks, spin, volt switch or gyro ball (several of which are later gens I know) then it would have had less usage due to poor SpDef and 4x fire weakness and sturdy not acting like a sash prior to gen V. Also I forgot heracross, that thing with megahorn has always been a threat, it certainly isn't more of a fighting type than a bug it's as much of each as well (don't forget CC wasnt untill gen IV)
you raise a good point to be fair so I'll concede on parts of this. Truth be told, I forgot about heracross. That thing has been a beast since day 1. Oh yeah, and I guess pinsir wasn't all that terrible either, he got access to both swords dance and slash which as we all know was insane in gen 1.

I still feel that poison needs work, yeah they do get buffed every gen but they're still considerably weaker than other choices in my opinion. I can't even list a poison type that is overpowered off the top of my head.

and ice is pretty terrible unfortunately, there are a few select examples of good ice types but until gen 6 it didn't really even get considered.

steel remains the most op type imo. it feels like steel types have always just been these unstoppable beasts, you look at pokemon such as scizor, metagross, foretress, steelix... they're all very powerful, we really didn't need even stronger ones in the forms of ferrothorn and aegislash imo.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:05 pm

Eh, that's more because they're a niche mon but they've always been usable. Scolipede, Crobat, Amoonguss, Gengar and Venusaur are all solid mon and can be a pain to deal with in the right situation, but even then, things like Crobat back in Gen IV was the top tier anti-lead and Gengar's still really strong and always has been since gen I. They could do with more in the poison movepool I guess but they still have decent moves and with the addition of fairy types we've now got more things in the meta to use them on (particularly since grass was never a strong type).

EDIT: Oh, and stuff like Tentacruel used to be pretty strong too
Destiny is Destiny.

fluffyKittan

Post by fluffyKittan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Dark is easily the most OP type atm though, gen 6 wise.

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:08 pm

The 2DSes are now available to pre-order on Nintendo's UK store.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/elysium.sea ... k%C3%A9mon

*EDIT:
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

OmegaPit

Re: Teh Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Thread - Pre-order Naow!!!

Post by OmegaPit » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:19 pm

*Looks at topic title*

Is it 2006 again?

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Re: The Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Thread - 2DSes up for pre-or

Post by RainbowGazelle » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 am

OmegaPit wrote:*Looks at topic title*

Is it 2006 again?
That better?
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Yes
Destiny is Destiny.

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Ignoring competitive stuff for a moment, has it been confirmed if these will include the original glitches and all the other charming features like how slow you moved etc?

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Nope, almost nothing's been said about changes which kind of implies that things have probably been left as is. They have said though that you can't interrupt things during online communications (by using things like the 3DS homepage) and the games won't support the save state feature, both of these are thought to be attempts to curb pokémon cloning so it seems like those glitches still exist in game.
Destiny is Destiny.

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Hmm cool. That's obviously the better route to have taken, though I can understand why Nintendo would hardly be shouting about Missingno. and all the other glitches. I had a bit of fear about "upgraded graphics" or something but hopefully that was just my overactive imagination...

fluffyKittan

Post by fluffyKittan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:18 pm

I mean missingo is basically so embedded in the pokemon cult following that removing it would be dumb tbh.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Yeah, I think they're aware that so many of the glitches in the original are a part of why those games are still played today. Hell, if people heard Missingno wasn't in it I daresay they'd actually lose sales. I would like to see a speed toggle on the emulation but that and the already announced online functionality really are the only changes I'd like.
Destiny is Destiny.