Magiana/Magearna

The forum for all Pokémon fans!
TamzehVB
NNID: RedGuard587
3DS Friend Code: 068855986231

Re: Magiana

Post by TamzehVB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Aren142 wrote:Garbodor gets a lot more eton mess than it should. People seem to just jump on it for what it is and ignore the actual design. There are definitely worse things in that Gen. Just they're a lot more forgettable.
Like Stunfisk.
Still looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
Sig by LightSamus
Inane Ramblings

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:54 pm

komodo joe wrote:i mean muk pulled the same eton mess 20 years ago but with even less visual appeal
to be fair I find a lot of the designs from gen 1 very lacking.

yes I'm aware that it was mostly due to a lack of technology so the designs had to be simple, but they took a seal, made it white, stuck a horn on it's head and called it seel.

then they made it bigger, added more frilly fins and two little fangs and called it dewgong.

feels like they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel there. I mean Vanilluxe might be a gooseberry fool ice cream but at least it has more going on visually than some of the gen 1 travesties.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:30 am

Scapegoat wrote:yes I'm aware that it was mostly due to a lack of technology so the designs had to be simple
No it wasn't, it was that pokémon originally were supposed to be closely designed to match their real life counterparts. Also hence the non-fantastical storyline of the first two games, instead presenting a more realistic criminal organisation vs. the eco-terrorists or world dominators of later games.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:32 am

It basically comes down to: do you want creatures that could feasibly exist without too much of a stretch of imagination or do you want eton mess bells and whistles on your maths-book doodles?
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:01 am

JenovaPX wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:yes I'm aware that it was mostly due to a lack of technology so the designs had to be simple
No it wasn't, it was that pokémon originally were supposed to be closely designed to match their real life counterparts. Also hence the non-fantastical storyline of the first two games, instead presenting a more realistic criminal organisation vs. the eco-terrorists or world dominators of later games.
I stand corrected, however, I still stand by my opinion that Seel and Dewgong are boring designs with no progression between evolutions. Grimer and Muk are another example, and the amount of Pokemon in Gen 1 that just turned into 3 combined when evolving is lazy.

Personally I feel that while Gen 1 did have some great designs, the following generations had better designs in my opinion. The designs of the Pokemon from Gen 3 were fantastic, while Gen 4 added some great evolutions and prevolutions for existing mon. Gen 5 to me was Gen 1 with more interesting designs and concepts, and while as mentioned a few of those designs were scraping the very bottom of the barrel, designs such as Samurott, Leavanny, Meinshao, Joltik, Accelegor, Whimsicott... (the list goes on), were some amazing designs that really caught the eye and stood out to me, so I find that in comparison the designs in Gen 1 were for the most part lacking a certain flair.

It's really all a matter of opinion and my opinion is that Gen 1 was home to some of the blandest designs in the franchise.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:14 am

Yeah, you're free to like what you like but just don't mistake them for lazy designs when it's just that things nowadays don't represent the original aesthetic goals.

Again the whole turning into three thing isn't particularly lazy, it was an angle they were using for different ways in which evolution can happen. In Gen I you have a whole host of ways, you have pokémon growing to evolve, you have pokémon with unstable genetics, pokémon of the same species fusing together (not just becoming three), pokémon of different species fusing together, etc. What seems like a lazy idea actually had a decent amount of thought put into it to go along with the idea of introducing people to what evolution in pokémon games could be, again they further elaborated on it in Gen II with the day and night phases but then stopped with ideas until Gen V.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:53 am

Gen IV had the specific locations to evolve and the Ancient Power evolutions.

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:12 am

How many of you caught two Koffings in gen 1 then got upset when they didn't fuse into weezing like the handbook said?
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:24 pm

I did something similar for Slowbro.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Sawkrates
3DS Friend Code: 0018-1275-3373
Steam ID: Sawkrates

Post by Sawkrates » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:06 am

I feel like Magiana may have something to do with the Pokéball Factory to be honest, considering how much some of it's parts look like pokéballs. I am hoping for a Steel/Fairy typing, it just suits it.

Blaxel411
NNID: Black-wolf209
3DS Friend Code: 4811-7239-6713
Xbox Gamertag: Not on my life

Post by Blaxel411 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Ah gen one. Where Oak let's you pick between reptile, reptile and reptile!
I think we can all agree that i`m a great asset to the human race.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Re: Magiana/Magearna

Post by shy guy 64 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:22 pm

update guys its english name is Magearna and is called the artificial pokemon here
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Official artwork is a thing.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Tsunade

Post by Tsunade » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 am

To me it looks more like a steel/electric type, which would probably make more sense than fairy because of it being man made. I am curious to what gen it will be classed as, volcanion has only just been officially announced a couple of months ago (even though we all knew about him since x and y came out), so it'll definitely be interesting to see what it'll officially be.

shy guy 64

Post by shy guy 64 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:02 pm

shall we turn into the gen 7 thread if its announced?
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Or just make a gen 7 thread
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

shy guy 64

Post by shy guy 64 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Rik wrote:Or just make a gen 7 thread
well i suppose i was really offering to take charge of creating a database of any new pokemon revealed seeing as wel already have magearna's info in the op