SONM Pokémon VGC '16 Thread - Nationals 14th-15th May!

The forum for all Pokémon fans!
Decretum
NNID: Kotchi miteru?
PSN ID: Kotchi minaide!
Xbox Gamertag: Wanawanawana
Steam ID: Wana nanda??

Re: SONM Pokémon VGC '15 Thread - Nationals - 30th-31st May!

Post by Decretum » Sun May 31, 2015 3:13 pm

You may have/probably saw me as well then assuming you don't mean from afar.

Went 6-3, started pretty poorly (1-2 after 3 games) only to swing around and just miss out on top cut via a poor 1v1 matchup again. 2 of the losses were a chary vs ttar matchup (one vs screens the other in sand), both of which could have been avoided (1 should have been and I was p unlucky to be in that position) and could have gone differently as a result. At least other games had some nice hax for me to balance it (burning a politoed is always nice).
Battled RR/Gaz in round 7 I think, probably one of my favourites of the swiss (he could've won potentially/probably as well if he didnt tailwind).

Team was good in practice, a fair few people said they struggled to pick against it because of the balance (surprised me bc 2 fire types lol). Don't think there was really a weak member of the team, and my losses were down to me misplaying/being outplayed/me going full retard round 1 so I'm even tempted to stick with this team for a bit yet (maybe with a few tweaks)
And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death

Sabrofra
NNID: GameBoySam
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5595-5668
Steam ID: Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Sun May 31, 2015 4:16 pm

I was put against Xenoblade Hero in round 3... That team tho.

And also in round 9 I was put against my friend who I with that day (being Phil aka P3DS). We were both on 4-4 and wanted a positive ratio in end. Annoyingly, he wiped out my team with just his Milotic alone.

Gazooki

Post by Gazooki » Sun May 31, 2015 5:52 pm

I was indeed there. I was the guy who was giving out Skullgirls postcards. If you got one of em let me know :D

Disappointing event performance-wise, only got a 4-5 record on the first day. By the last couple of rounds I was just tired and getting increasingly bread and buttered off which led to me dropping from 4-2. To be fair the match that eliminated from Top Cut contention I should've tried to close out instead of setting up tailwind again. Didn't need it at all.

Replay tournament was super-fun though, had some great games and took on some top players. Ended up 15th and won a tenner. Yay.
REMEMBER ME!

Decretum

Post by Decretum » Sun May 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Rock Slide would've rip'd my arcanine and (likely) won it gg

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:48 pm

Didn't do so great. 4-5 on Saturday and 2-4 in the replay tournament. And since Koryo never showed up to Round 7, it was essentially a 3-5 matching what I got last year with MonoFire. I think I actually played well in most of my rounds, especially in the replay tournament, apart from the last 2 games. My team just didn't have the sort of support I'm used to since I had no Fake Out or Rage Powder/Follow Me. I was pretty disheartened in the end. Probably not helped by the disaster that was Saturday's organisation. The toilet conditions and apparent catering really didn't help matters.

I think all future tournaments I'm just going to be using ridiculous gimmicks and Monotypes. I might even try for TCG Nationals instead next year.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Xenoblade Hero
NNID: XenobladeHero
3DS Friend Code: 189115095006
PSN ID: Xenoblade Hero

Post by Xenoblade Hero » Sun May 31, 2015 7:50 pm

It was great to meet most of you at the Nationals! I went 6-3 in the end, interestingly going 4-0 then losing two games to timer and one game to a very unfortunate miss that my opponent was able to capitalise on completely. I would say the event was a massive stamina test more than anything, especially since registration was at 9 and the event ended close to the '13 time (but back then they got top cut done as well).

And yeah Sabrofra, it was unfortunate for us to get paired up. T'was a fun game though, I was so worried when you got Parental Bond onto Venusaur!
BGO Weekly Nights- They're (Not) Back (Yet)!
Youtube Nugget Bridge

Overall ONM Hunger Games Champion and winner of The ONM VGC Tour

Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Sun May 31, 2015 10:20 pm

Xenoblade Hero wrote:And yeah Sabrofra, it was unfortunate for us to get paired up. T'was a fun game though, I was so worried when you got Parental Bond onto Venusaur!
Oh yeah, it was a very enjoyable match. But then again if we didn't get paired up, we wouldn't have seen each other! I think I'll be retiring my skill swapper for next time though.

I think my team was way too bulky, and next time I really need a load more offence. I've had a few rethinks of potential Pokémon which I think can work, and easily take out some of the more common Pokémon out there.

Decretum

Post by Decretum » Sun May 31, 2015 11:18 pm

Sabrofra wrote:
Xenoblade Hero wrote:And yeah Sabrofra, it was unfortunate for us to get paired up. T'was a fun game though, I was so worried when you got Parental Bond onto Venusaur!
Oh yeah, it was a very enjoyable match. But then again if we didn't get paired up, we wouldn't have seen each other! I think I'll be retiring my skill swapper for next time though.

I think my team was way too bulky, and next time I really need a load more offence. I've had a few rethinks of potential Pokémon which I think can work, and easily take out some of the more common Pokémon out there.
252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 226-267 (124.8 - 147.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There is your offense. May as well paste my team here since I'm not making a report or anything.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 60 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Solar Beam

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Snarl
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Arcanine @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Helping Hand
- Close Combat

Scrafty @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Latias @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 132 Def / 92 SpA / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 HP / 52 Def / 148 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 am

Here's what my disaster of a team ended up like.
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Quick Attack
- Rock Slide

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpA / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Safeguard

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- U-turn
Ultimately, Hydreigon served no purpose because not a single team I faced had more than 1 thing it was effective against and I had other ways of dealing with those things that I needed to pick against the rest of the team. I really missed having Fake Out/Follow Me as I said. I was originally going to have Amoonguss but couldn't get hold of one with Regenerator. And Ferrothorn proved too useful to even let go. I couldn't deal with bog Rain. I knew this beforehand and just hoped for the best only to face it Round 2. Milotic really could have used a move other than Safeguard in that slot. Safeguard was more or less useless to me and I did get into situations where I would have liked anything else to be able to use and just settled for Safeguard only to not make any difference. The only time I did need it was against a Smeargle which outsped and put it to sleep before I could even use it.
<Princess> that's effort

Decretum

Post by Decretum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:42 pm

No Mirror Coat opportunities?

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Mirror Coat feels too situational. I would have thought Recover might be an idea, but doesn't suit how I ended up having to use Milotic. An offensive move of some kind would've been better. Maybe even Icy Wind. It doesn't really matter since the team's never getting used again.

Future team ideas currently include: Mega Steelix and Mega Manetric dual speed team, Carracosta and Mono Ice.
<Princess> that's effort

Decretum

Post by Decretum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:06 pm

First of the ideas sounds p cool, was tempted to try mega steelix myself when I heard it was a thing.

Also I'd say Safeguard is as situational as MC tbf from how it sounds it went

Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Anyone know who won on Sunday and what their team was?

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:50 pm

2014's German NAtional Champ known as Yoshi online. Don't remember his real name. I recall him using Aegislash, Sylveon and Landorus-T, but don't remember seeing more than that since the last round of the Replay Tournament was on at the same time.
<Princess> that's effort

Decretum

Post by Decretum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Both teams were pretty dull. The highlight for me was everyone clapping at some redundant move when the game was already over p much

evilpinkdragon
NNID: evilpinkdragon
3DS Friend Code: 358302156059
PSN ID: evilpinkdragon
Steam ID: evilpinkdragon

Post by evilpinkdragon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Coming back from the dead to quote everyone, yaaaay~!
Sabrofra wrote:Sadly didn't too well today, with 4 wins and 5 losses. My team might have not been the best so I'll be editing a few things.

I also saw Xenoblade Hero and EPD too which was awesome.
I went 4-5 in the end too, in contrast though I definitely blame myself for this. It was great to see you! You could have seen Dec too (I was clinging to him for most of the day aha), but I believe he was MIA/still battling when Xeno and I were talking to you. :')
Xenoblade Hero wrote:I would say the event was a massive stamina test more than anything, especially since registration was at 9 and the event ended close to the '13 time (but back then they got top cut done as well).

And yeah Sabrofra, it was unfortunate for us to get paired up. T'was a fun game though, I was so worried when you got Parental Bond onto Venusaur!
Agreed, it was an absolute stamina test which was pretty unfair. You'd think they'd learn from last year's mistakes, but I genuinely don't think Gordian Knot will ever get their act together, and we had a lower attendance than last year iirc which speaks volumes. Also that Parental Bond Venusaur thing sounds amazing.
Aren142 wrote:Mirror Coat feels too situational. I would have thought Recover might be an idea, but doesn't suit how I ended up having to use Milotic. An offensive move of some kind would've been better. Maybe even Icy Wind. It doesn't really matter since the team's never getting used again.

Future team ideas currently include: Mega Steelix and Mega Manetric dual speed team, Carracosta and Mono Ice.
Just as food for thought, I used Mirror Coat Milo and it was amazing. It's indeed situational and you need to be really careful using it especially vs. high-level players (was discussing this with Jamie Miller at one point, he was trying to reign in my excitement so I didn't misuse the move aha), but the two times I used it, I don't regret doing so. Both were in turn 1, vs double-special attacker leads. The first game I tanked a Zapdos thunderbolt and OHKO'd back, and the other game Milo took a crit Hyper Voice from Sylveon and OHKO'd it. I wish I'd brought Milo more during the day, but finding out IT DIDN'T HAVE COMPETITIVE during Round 3 really put me off bringing it unless I needed it's coverage ;~;
Regarding Dec's team: I love it and am rather proud that I contributed to it. Seems Raikou/Lati/Zard were a really solid core, and I think my decision to recommend Ludicolo ended up being fairly useful (really happy I had a shiny on standby for him too :3). Don't know if much needs changing up for the International Challenge but I imagine Dec knows what worked and what didn't better than myself and I look forward to discussing it with him~
Regarding my day: As I mentioned earlier I went 4-5 which I am genuinely disappointed at. I absolutely blame my own lack of preparation here, as I love my team. Only did 3 practice battles with this version of my team the night before Nationals, and hadn't practiced at all the whole season really (bar the NB Major which was with essentially Xeno's team) thanks to uni. That said, I feel my skill level has improved and I made some really nice plays throughout the day, most of my losses were close and the others were pretty much me failing team preview haha. I had such a blast though (aside from the dreadful organisation/stamina test), and feel motivated to do the IC this month and get some more battling done.
For anyone interested, my team is here~
Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 244 HP / 104 Def / 20 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Milotic @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Competitive (ended up being Marvel Scale, oops)
EVs: 244 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Recover

Milotic was a last-minute switch-in for Azumarill, which Xeno and I decided to put into the team but I was never sold on. Bred it in the car because all the Feebas/Milotic I had were Modest, EV'd it in the registration queue. Failed to check the nature though so It was Marvel Scale, luckily there was only one situation that directly affected (a Salamence switch-in not activating the ability and then living an Ice Beam, thankfully it was a Hyper Voice 'mence so I could tank it's hits nicely and still win). It did affect my team preview thought process for the rest of the day though, naturally!
But yeah, really loved this team. Heracross is still my baby! I may look through my team and see if there's any combinations it's particularly weak to, because in a few games I didn't feel like I had a lot for the opposing side, but maybe I was being too cautious. Shuca Heatran saved my butt a few times, it was fantastic, and switching Superpower for Knock Off on Lando was also a great decision for this team variant & much appreciated. This Cress was beautiful btw, only issue was the timer D; could have easily won games with Cress alone where I'd really ballsed up preview/the opening turns had the timer been 10 minutes longer, haha, and she did save me (or almost save me in the games I still lost) a fair few times.

Also found the final pretty interesting, going to watch it back though as I was at the back of the crowd and my eyesight isn't great, also some friends decided to go home towards the end of the second battle which meant I kinda missed the last few turns. I heard Markus (Yoshi) battled amazingly throughout the day and made some brilliant plays, though, so it seems he really deserved the victory,
So you can drag me through hell if it meant I could hold your hand / I will follow you cause I'm under your spell

Gazooki

Re: SONM Pokémon VGC '15 Thread

Post by Gazooki » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:41 am

Yeah seeing Yoshi do well is always cool. Faced him last year and he was a really cool guy. Helped that he liked my Mono-Fairy team :P
REMEMBER ME!

Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Just been searching around for some VGC '15 matches from last week, and I stumbled upon this one of the person vs EPD;

If I find any other matches of any people from SONM, I'll post them here.

evilpinkdragon
NNID: evilpinkdragon
3DS Friend Code: 358302156059
PSN ID: evilpinkdragon
Steam ID: evilpinkdragon

Post by evilpinkdragon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:09 am

Sabrofra wrote:Just been searching around for some VGC '15 matches from last week, and I stumbled upon this one of the person vs EPD;

If I find any other matches of any people from SONM, I'll post them here.
Ah, yeah, Sean was my Round 1 opponent. We battled in round 5 or something last year and I won, so we're even now :p he's a great guy~
In all honesty, I wasn't prepared to face hard Trick Room; the lack of practice against it really didn't help, ditto the HH Earth Power which I totally didn't expect D; Or him timer stalling me when it was just Cress left, which he admitted later :')
But yeah, I was using Cress wrong, lack of practice. This being linked is a tad embarrassing :v
On a related note, I think Xeno will maybe be uploading some videos in the near future.
So you can drag me through hell if it meant I could hold your hand / I will follow you cause I'm under your spell

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:15 am

Oh yeah, he was recording them after each round. Would be good to see those. I might at least upload some videos to GTS to view. Got some decent games from Regionals and the replay tournament.
<Princess> that's effort

Xenoblade Hero
NNID: XenobladeHero
3DS Friend Code: 189115095006
PSN ID: Xenoblade Hero

Post by Xenoblade Hero » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:32 am

A load of my Regionals battles are up on the Nugget Bridge Youtube in preparation for my report which I'll link when it's complete =)

https://www.youtube.com/user/nuggetbridge/videos
BGO Weekly Nights- They're (Not) Back (Yet)!
Youtube Nugget Bridge

Overall ONM Hunger Games Champion and winner of The ONM VGC Tour

Gazooki

Post by Gazooki » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:32 am

Xenoblade Hero wrote:A load of my Regionals battles are up on the Nugget Bridge Youtube in preparation for my report which I'll link when it's complete =)

https://www.youtube.com/user/nuggetbridge/videos
Am I in it?
REMEMBER ME!

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 pm

No, because you didn't Monotype.
<Princess> that's effort

Cinaclov

Post by Cinaclov » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Just so's I've said I've made a thread with the intention of listing and helping keep track of any smaller/grass roots live Pokémon tournaments happening over the summer whilst official VGC is on holiday. If you discover anything share it for others you might not have yet :)
Top 32 Pokémon VGC Birmingham, 2010.
3DS FC: 4897-6918-6814

Gazooki

Post by Gazooki » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:52 pm

http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/latios- ... ls-report/

Xeno's VGC15 report is finally up. Go read it, it's good. Also thanks for the shoutout dude, much appreciated.
REMEMBER ME!