Let's discuss this site.

Having any problems with the site? Can you think of a way to make SONM better? Post here. Also includes forum news.
Stanson

Let's discuss this site.

Post by Stanson » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Okay, so this site was basically made because ONM shut down, the magazine ended and of course the forum shut down following that. ONM were the Official Nintendo Magazine...the official magazine for Nintendo within the UK. In fact, Nintendo UK actually advertised when a new issue was out, did a few promotional things with them too. This is also why you couldn't exactly trust ONM's reviews of brand new Nintendo games because you knew they were going to be biased as hell.

Anyway, because it was the OFFICIAL Nintendo Magazine, they had a reputation to upkeep. Nintendo has had a very family friendly ethos since about 2005 when the DS first burst onto the scene. There was a lot of furore on the old forums about the moderators at times but ultimately, you had to respect the job they had to do. There were Admins on the forum like Tom East or Chris 'The gooseberry fool' Scullion, but they couldn't be expected to be monitoring the forum all the time. That's why there was a moderating team, people who could be trusted to keep the forum in check. Especially given how popular the forums were at their peak (merging with CVG boosted the sites numbers too).

But that was then and this is now. This site has been set up as an off-shoot for the few people who want to keep in touch with the community that they grew to know and interact with on ONM. That's not an issue. But there's no 'higher force'. This is not an Official Nintendo Messageboard. You don't have to keep in line with the ethos of Nintendo, there's nobody to please. In fact, there is not even an Admin team. There's just a small community of people who want to discuss eton mess with each other. A lot of people on here have known each for TEN YEARS. An entire decade. We're familiar with each other, at least the nucleus of the site is.

So why are the chains still on? It is absolutely bizarre that there is strict moderating on here that is comparable to ONM. There is ZERO reason for it. I can understand if there's a massive spam attack, a prolific spammer that comes up from nowhere....but moderating/restricting what can only be described as banter, often heated discussion, between members (such as myself) who have been here and there on these sites for AN ENTIRE DECADE? Is that how you treat their loyalty to this community? As far as I am concerned, the moderating team that exists now is on an ego trip. That is the only reason that can be used to described this. It seems bonkers to me that this site is moderated the way it is.

Just wanted to give my two cents.
You win.

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Re: Let's discuss this site.

Post by fluffyKittan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:06 pm

R.I.P. Stanson, died 18-04-2016.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

AlterntiveAntagonist

Post by AlterntiveAntagonist » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:06 pm

i agree

PiGreat
NNID: PiGreat
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5928-1641
PSN ID: PiGreat
Steam ID: PiGreat

Post by PiGreat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:09 pm

agreed

wonder how long before OR storms in and puts a swift end to this
RichardUK wrote:I don't believe anyone is actually poor in this country
THE ADVENTURES OF A GUY ON HIS QUEST TO BECOME A WEEABOO | BONUS COMMENTARY | RANDOM eton mess[/centre]

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:13 pm

PiGreat wrote:agreed

Can we not point fingers and generalise please this thread was perfectly passive aggressive before you showed up. I don't really care which way this discussion goes so I'll shut up now, but I don't think it's fair to assume people will react in such a way without giving their reasoning for what they do.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin
Xbox Gamertag: Knight Corin
Steam ID: Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:15 pm

if a starving north korean pointed their finger at kim jong un would it not be fair

Decretum
NNID: Kotchi miteru?
PSN ID: Kotchi minaide!
Xbox Gamertag: Wanawanawana
Steam ID: Wana nanda??

Post by Decretum » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:16 pm

fluffyKittan wrote:
PiGreat wrote:agreed

Can we not point fingers and generalise please this thread was perfectly passive aggressive before you showed up. I don't really care which way this discussion goes so I'll shut up now, but I don't think it's fair to assume people will react in such a way without giving their reasoning for what they do.
Don't talk to some guy or his son ever again
And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death

HassyTheSassy

Post by HassyTheSassy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:17 pm

wouldn't pointing fingers be the OPPOSITE of generalising?!?!?!?!?!
:mrgreen:

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:18 pm

not if you point enough fingers

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Meh, it's fine. The main issue is with everyone else eton mess all over the place, really.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

MintChocChip
NNID: TSF
PSN ID: 4
Xbox Gamertag: LYF
Steam ID: thelethalgenius

Post by MintChocChip » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:21 pm

gooseberry fool me, I agree with Stanson. What is this forum coming to?
fluffyKittan - He's used to sitting in teamspeak with us where people don't cry when somebody tells you to go drink some H2SO4 for being bad at what you're doing
regg - I entirely surrender to your superior wit.

FalcoPunch
FKA PaperMacheTheSecond
NNID: Thanks Pepsi Supreme
3DS Friend Code: for signature

Post by FalcoPunch » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Stanson wrote:here's just a small community of people who want to discuss eton mess with each other. A lot of people on here have known each for TEN YEARS. An entire decade. We're familiar with each other, at least the nucleus of the site is.
There are some new people - those who've come from affiliate gaming sites but want to discuss Nintendo instead of games general. NX and Zelda 2016 are just around the corner!! This site has way too many memes and inside jokes.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:24 pm

gooseberry fool hell, maybe the mods want this place to resemble a reasonable forum. eton mess, or "banter", doesn't serve any purpose other than pissing off the silent majority of users, the people who want to have a pleasant community with high-quality discussion. This isn't 4chan, stop with the memes.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin
Xbox Gamertag: Knight Corin
Steam ID: Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:26 pm

you are gooseberry fool boring

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Because otherwise it'll be the same five or so people posting the same banter or whatever you want to call it constantly and everyone else would get bored of it and leave. I'm sure there are already plenty of people who don't post as much as they would or used to because of it.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

DizzyOlive

Post by DizzyOlive » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:39 pm

row101 wrote:gooseberry fool hell, maybe the mods want this place to resemble a reasonable forum. eton mess, or "banter", doesn't serve any purpose other than pissing off the silent majority of users, the people who want to have a pleasant community with high-quality discussion. This isn't 4chan, stop with the memes.
expecting "high-quality discussion" from ONM...
#StandWithStan

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:40 pm

There's no greater authority behind the forum, you're correct, so it's up to the owner to determine what kind of ethos he wants this forum to operate under. As it is, things aren't strict here compared to ONM but that doesn't mean this is a place to just do whatever you want nor should it be. This is a place for everyone ideally and that means concessions and compromises from everyone, it means stupid eton mess, memes and spam that derail and spoil things for others can't go unchecked and it means that other people have to compromise and accept that just because you don't like how someone's acting it doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong. This place isn't for just you, it's a place for everyone and if people disagree with that sentiment then there's no reason for you to be on here, if you're looking for a place with no "chains" and friends then by all means there's no shortage of places people can go.

This isn't ONM, it's its own thing, if you don't like the ethos behind it then in all seriousness, maybe you should consider why you come here. We're not about to change our position on this anytime soon and yeah, it's down to OR and the mods' decision just as much as it is down to the repeated reports we get about this kind of thing everytime it happens. We want this place to grow and be a good environment for as many people as possible, everyone needs to respect that.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

FalcoPunch
FKA PaperMacheTheSecond
NNID: Thanks Pepsi Supreme
3DS Friend Code: for signature

Post by FalcoPunch » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Doesn't the admin guy pay for this out of his own checkbook? Let him decide how to run things - if you don't like it go to 4chan.

PiGreat
NNID: PiGreat
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5928-1641
PSN ID: PiGreat
Steam ID: PiGreat

Post by PiGreat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:42 pm

richarduk pays for it with his offshore investments
RichardUK wrote:I don't believe anyone is actually poor in this country
THE ADVENTURES OF A GUY ON HIS QUEST TO BECOME A WEEABOO | BONUS COMMENTARY | RANDOM eton mess[/centre]

Mr. EE

Post by Mr. EE » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Edd wrote:Because otherwise it'll be the same five or so people posting the same banter or whatever you want to call it constantly and everyone else would get bored of it and leave. I'm sure there are already plenty of people who don't post as much as they would or used to because of it.
Exactly why I haven't been coming here as much lately.
Edd ~ EE is a cool guy.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:50 pm

It is also why I've been away from OT more than usual.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:52 pm

FalcoPunch wrote:Doesn't the admin guy pay for this out of his own checkbook? Let him decide how to run things - if you don't like it go to 4chan.
Yep, it's OR's money that keeps this place up and running.
Mr. EE wrote:
Edd wrote:Because otherwise it'll be the same five or so people posting the same banter or whatever you want to call it constantly and everyone else would get bored of it and leave. I'm sure there are already plenty of people who don't post as much as they would or used to because of it.
Exactly why I haven't been coming here as much lately.
Unfortunately something that we've had PMs from multiple people over the past week or so is that yeah, people post less because of it and we've had a few people leave as a result. Maybe it's funny to drive people away at the time or something or maybe it's something people genuinely haven't considered but it just makes it funny when you get those people complaining that this place isn't how they want it.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Decretum

Post by Decretum » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:53 pm

row101 wrote:gooseberry fool hell, maybe the mods want this place to resemble a reasonable forum. eton mess, or "banter", doesn't serve any purpose other than pissing off the silent majority of users, the people who want to have a pleasant community with high-quality discussion. This isn't 4chan, stop with the memes.
down with the qq mafia and 4chan memes we need more high-quality discussion like legalising guns I agree

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:01 pm

i get my topic posting privileges back and now i'm being told to go to 4chan like it's a special place and even worse the most boring topic on sonm pops up so let's post in it

haha you guys got hit by the PWN SQUAD lol rite nah it's just qq ruining another beautiful and serene forum totally
FalcoPunch wrote: This site has way too many memes and inside jokes.
when you come to an already established community it will have its own derived humour from things that have already happened
you participate in the feels thread? also lol go back to 4chan
i agree watching masturbatory posting of eton mess is not what this forum is all about

Decretum

Post by Decretum » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:03 pm

something something met's penis har har?