gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Being Dicks

Having any problems with the site? Can you think of a way to make SONM better? Post here. Also includes forum news.
User avatar
abx
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 pm
NNID: abraxian
3DS Friend Code: 888888888888
PSN ID: abx_will
Xbox Gamertag: abxwill

gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Being Dicks

Post by abx » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:45 pm

There is absolutely no reason to lock threads such as this. Discussion wasn't being bitter either way and as such I can only deduce that Quarg has decided to lock the thread because of dissent.

Sarah was doing a fine ass job of defending the opposition as were plenty of other members. Not a single warning for conduct. So why was it locked?

Moderators are no longer under the thumb of Future/ONM and so have no longer got any real reason to lock eton mess unless actual harm is being done. Heavy handed moderation is just gonna force people away.

Sort it out.
Last edited by abx on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image
high off the second-hand fumes

User avatar
Complexitive
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Complexitive » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Since you posted this thread first, I'll delete the one I created and post it here (although you don't need to be such a dick about it):


I'm not really sure I understand why that debate thread was really locked - we can't simply lock threads where debate arises, simply because everyone doesn't simply agree with each other. Even though I will admit that some of the posts may have been a little condescending towards others (I don't think I quite understood what that image was really trying to say myself), I wouldn't say that it was a particularly hostile topic at that point.

It was quite an interesting read, and new stuff was being contributed to that debate (even if there was some repetition), and I don't quite understand what the need for locking it is. I'm not trying to bash the mods, as they have done a great job in setting this up, but I really hope that locking threads that contain conflicting views will become standard practise. I understand if it was getting nasty, but it really wasn't.

Perhaps others will disagree with me, but I don't think the lock button should be used quite so liberally; there was some genuinely interesting content being contributed, and there was little reason to lock. That's really not in the best interest of a discussion board, to be honest.

Not trying to have a dig here - I do respect that sometimes some calls have to be made, and I respect that fact that modding isn't a science. I just don't want to see a habit of mods locking threads simply because the discussion doesn't consist of people agreeing with each other.

User avatar
abx
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 pm
NNID: abraxian
3DS Friend Code: 888888888888
PSN ID: abx_will
Xbox Gamertag: abxwill

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by abx » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 pm

yeah also; what he said
Image
Image
high off the second-hand fumes

User avatar
Wrathy
Posts: 1970
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:45 pm
Contact:

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Wrathy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 am

I don't think it's really fair for me to comment on this either way, because quite clearly I have a stake in the thread (and would like to reply to Met - pretty clearly I had no interest in locking it, because I think discussion about these issues is infinitely more important than gooseberry fool red leader standing by threads) but I will say thanks for raising this, at the very least.

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5900
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 am

Nice and diplomatic I see!

I can't speak for Quarg, but while I agree that there was valid discussion being had in the thread, and still potentially more to be had which locking prevents, there were also other people that were posting a lot of spam and even calls for locks in the thread. Even if the thread is opened back up, a short lock will have done no harm in ensuring that people post with valid discussion.

You should also bear in mind that as mods we act mostly autonomously and with our own discretion on what we deem acceptable, and while of course we all try to sing from the same song sheet, as we have transitioned over from ONM and the rules on what is acceptable have changed somewhat, it will obviously take some time to adjust and for us to settle in on what should and shouldn't be allowed. This kind of discussion probably wouldn't have been acceptable on ONM, I think we would all agree. As you say we are no longer under Future/Nintendo/ONM rule, so things can and should be relaxed, and maybe this is one of those cases. But if one mod makes a decision on something it would be wrong and counterproductive for any others to overrule or immediately reverse it.

Basically, cut us some slack if you could. The complaint is valid but the tone here seems a little excessive, no?

That at least is what I have to say on it.

User avatar
abx
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 pm
NNID: abraxian
3DS Friend Code: 888888888888
PSN ID: abx_will
Xbox Gamertag: abxwill

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by abx » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Nice and diplomatic I see!
ty
OrangeRakoon wrote:I can't speak for Quarg, but while I agree that there was valid discussion being had in the thread, and still potentially more to be had which locking prevents, there were also other people that were posting a lot of spam and even calls for locks in the thread. Even if the thread is opened back up, a short lock will have done no harm in ensuring that people post with valid discussion.
That's what warnings and posts to remind people what discussion is cool and what isn't are for. Locks are supposed to be used to completely shut down an inappropriate subject (whatever the gooseberry fool that means) or inappropriate conduct (again)
OrangeRakoon wrote:You should also bear in mind that as mods we act mostly autonomously and with our own discretion on what we deem acceptable, and while of course we all try to sing from the same song sheet, as we have transitioned over from ONM and the rules on what is acceptable have changed somewhat, it will obviously take some time to adjust and for us to settle in on what should and shouldn't be allowed. This kind of discussion probably wouldn't have been acceptable on ONM, I think we would all agree. As you say we are no longer under Future/Nintendo/ONM rule, so things can and should be relaxed, and maybe this is one of those cases. But if one mod makes a decision on something it would be wrong and counterproductive for any others to overrule or immediately reverse it.
I understand that but unless something is CLEARLY wrong (ie; an active moderator of close to a decade ISN'T actively posting in a dubious thread) lay off the toolbox. You don't need locks and that tool is not why you are a moderator.
OrangeRakoon wrote:Basically, cut us some slack if you could. The complaint is valid but the tone here seems a little excessive, no?
you'll get used to it
OrangeRakoon wrote:That at least is what I have to say on it.
ty
Image
Image
high off the second-hand fumes

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5900
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:15 am

Just to come back on one point, locking for short "cool-off" periods has been used quite effectively in the past on ONM to return a thread to order, so using locks like that does have precedence. I think we have found it generally works better in some cases than handing out warnings. More often than not posts asking people to remain on topic or remind people what discussion is appropriate or not simply get ignored. That isn't to say I don't agree with what you are saying as a general method, but each situation is different.

User avatar
Complexitive
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Complexitive » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:18 am

Wrathy wrote:pretty clearly I had no interest in locking it, because I think discussion about these issues is infinitely more important than gooseberry fool red leader standing by threads
Exactly, yeah. Engaging in discussions about this is one of the best ways to become informed about things - although some people don't like accepting criticism on their view points, I always find myself coming out a little more informed, which is always a good thing, and locking threads like this completely stifles this.

The internet is awesome, because it allows you to discuss, disagree, and ultimately become more informed. I just hope the mod team has an internal chat about this - I want to be part of a community that promotes this, not stifles it. I'm sure that this was just an error of judgement, and that happens, but I think it's important from the outset that the mod team are in agreement.
OrangeRakoon wrote:I can't speak for Quarg, but while I agree that there was valid discussion being had in the thread, and still potentially more to be had which locking prevents, there were also other people that were posting a lot of spam and even calls for locks in the thread. Even if the thread is opened back up, a short lock will have done no harm in ensuring that people post with valid discussion.
The spam was completely unnecessary, I don't disagree, but that should have been removed, and a quick post from a mod about that would've helped! Even if a short lock will help, that was never the intention. I'm not trying to slate anyone, but that isn't really a fair reason for locking the thread.
OrangeRakoon wrote:You should also bear in mind that as mods we act mostly autonomously and with our own discretion on what we deem acceptable, and while of course we all try to sing from the same song sheet, as we have transitioned over from ONM and the rules on what is acceptable have changed somewhat, it will obviously take some time to adjust and for us to settle in on what should and shouldn't be allowed. This kind of discussion probably wouldn't have been acceptable on ONM, I think we would all agree. As you say we are no longer under Future/Nintendo/ONM rule, so things can and should be relaxed, and maybe this is one of those cases. But if one mod makes a decision on something it would be wrong and counterproductive for any others to overrule or immediately reverse it.
Yeah, that's understandable. That doesn't mean this isn't something that shouldn't be discussed - and I do hope it is, but the defensiveness in this post isn't exactly reassuring me in that.

User avatar
Cribs
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:04 pm
Steam ID: Cribster18

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Cribs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:19 am

why would you respond to people asking for a thread to be locked, it says in the rules not to backseat mod and I can't think of anything more indicative of that




basically terry should get warned tbh

User avatar
abx
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 pm
NNID: abraxian
3DS Friend Code: 888888888888
PSN ID: abx_will
Xbox Gamertag: abxwill

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by abx » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:22 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:simply get ignored.
Why would anyone listen to moderators warnings when they clearly show their only true ability is to lock eton mess? Your best method is to gain the respect of the community.
Image
Image
high off the second-hand fumes

Tentacle
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Tentacle » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:29 am

Cribs wrote:basically terry should get warned tbh
I should. Clearly my fault it all happened.

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5900
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:33 am

Posting just to say 'this should get locked' certainly doesn't help though - you know that the report button exists for that.

User avatar
Cribs
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:04 pm
Steam ID: Cribster18

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Cribs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:39 am

Tentacle wrote:
Cribs wrote:basically terry should get warned tbh
I should. Clearly my fault it all happened.


clearly you misogynistic pig

Tentacle
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Tentacle » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:43 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Posting just to say 'this should get locked' certainly doesn't help though - you know that the report button exists for that.
Reason I publically stated it should be locked is that because the general discussion goes against the point behind "How your feeling" as a thread, plus considering the fact a mod was involved I felt they would have directly and intentionally ignored the report to continue. If everything had remained in that thread, just the way things had been; I would not disagree with the lock. However it was moved, into a space focused on the discussion in hand. That lock I do not agree with
Cribs wrote:clearly you misogynistic pig
If only I had checked my forum privilege

User avatar
Warmij
FKA Regginator3
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Warmij » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:58 am

Mod Edit: Yeah no
Last edited by OrangeRakoon on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pointless, excessive and insulting nonsense that has no place here. Will probably complain about removal anyway

User avatar
PiGreat
Posts: 1110
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:00 pm
NNID: PiGreat
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5928-1641
PSN ID: PiGreat
Steam ID: PiGreat

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by PiGreat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:03 am

damn son
RichardUK wrote:I don't believe anyone is actually poor in this country
Image
THE ADVENTURES OF A GUY ON HIS QUEST TO BECOME A WEEABOO | BONUS COMMENTARY | RANDOM eton mess[/centre]

User avatar
Warmij
FKA Regginator3
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Warmij » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:21 am

Can't believe that was removed tbh. It's a spinoff forum with no official ties - stop being so frigid

User avatar
LFF
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by LFF » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 am

Well too bad, because it's out of your control.
I used to be part of the community, now I just watch it...

User avatar
Warmij
FKA Regginator3
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Warmij » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:04 am

Just posting to say thanks for unlocking that thread. We sure beat you guys!

User avatar
ミドリ
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by ミドリ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:42 pm

this could have been the only good thread on this forum but nobody understands
あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。

User avatar
abx
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 pm
NNID: abraxian
3DS Friend Code: 888888888888
PSN ID: abx_will
Xbox Gamertag: abxwill

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by abx » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:24 pm

gooseberry fool

EDIT: a swear filter. for gods sake
Image
Image
high off the second-hand fumes

User avatar
komodo joe
Posts: 2148
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by komodo joe » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:28 pm

gooseberry fool?
Image
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

User avatar
Wrathy
Posts: 1970
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:45 pm
Contact:

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Wrathy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:29 pm

you can turn the swear filter off

you are not being oppressed

grow up

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Thomas » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:29 pm

censorship is bard

User avatar
Nofes
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Re: gooseberry fool Off, And Stop Locking Threads

Post by Nofes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:35 pm

There is really no reason for moderation to even exist to the degree that it did on ONM. Why are you trying to emulate that so much when one of the best things about post-ONM was that we could enjoy this kind of place without such heavy handed moderation because of an affiliated brand? I'm not sure why you deleted Midori's thread when it was all just a bit of fun. Are we not allowed to have fun? I get that you guys are pining for what was lost, but holy eton mess, lighten up. I want to post here without feeling like I'm under the foot of a magazine because the moderators can't stop taking it so seriously. You're not associated with the brand any more, let this place flourish as something it CAN BE and don't ruin it because you don't want it to deviate from what WAS.

The reason some of the other offshoots were any good was that they weren't a carbon copy of ONM. If you want this place to become more than just a group of ONMers just emulating ONM, then you've created one of the most boring forums imaginable. Let this place be something interesting instead of something banal and eton mess.

Also, ban Corin.
Bucket

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests