So long and thanks for all the fish

Having any problems with the site? Can you think of a way to make SONM better? Post here. Also includes forum news.
pokemaniac212
NNID: onetruemaniac
3DS Friend Code: 506939914753
Steam ID: pokemaniac212

So long and thanks for all the fish

Post by pokemaniac212 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm

When I was first modded almost 5 years ago, I promised myself that I wouldn’t be someone who holds onto the badge long after I could claim to be an active member of the community. Looking back on these last few months, I’m struggling to justify to myself that I still meet that criterion. And so, the time has come for me to meet that promise and stand down as a mod. Since one of the privileges of modship is being able to subject everyone to a long, rambling walk down memory lane on leaving, I’m going to do that now. If you don’t want to read that then by all means carry on with your day, you’ll find nothing else relevant here.

It’s strange to think that I can’t really think of a time before I was a member here anymore, and a mod for approaching 5 years now. When I first signed up to make a stupid comment on a news thread about Ashes Cricket 2009, I had no idea of the part this place would play in my life. I’ve watched over the death of ONM, and helped found SONM to replace it. To go over everything would take far longer than I have time to write, or anyone would bother to read, so I’m just going to list a few particular highlights here:

- Being modded. Can’t really not mention this can I. I still remember getting back from a night out in Fresher’s week of my second year of uni to a voice message from Rai asking if I’d join the team. As sad as I realise this sounds, it was the first time I’d achieved anything for non-academic reasons, and I can’t easily explain how much this meant to me at the time.

- Pokémon Dawn. Sadly never finished, but as the project that pushed me to become active on the forums, it has a special place in my memories of this place. Sadly I think the demo has been lost to the depths of history, but at least Jay has gone on to bigger and better things since.

- Kudos. The fact that there exists a novel-length story with me as the main character, namely a sword-fighting cross between Goku and Jesus, is perhaps the most bizarre thing to have happened in my life (and remains my go-to icebreaker “something you didn’t know about me”). I still have a flick through it every now and then. Cheers Kriken.

- Politics discussions. As much as I tend to take the role of the forum’s token right-winger, I can honestly say that my political views have changed based on discussions with the likes of Sarah, Jenova and PGTV down the years, and I would consider myself more of a centrist liberal these days than a true right-winger.

- Bronm. Now sadly dead for a couple of years, this was the place I really started to feel like a member of the community, and I have a lot of fond memories of the probably hundreds of hours wasted on that chat.

- Mafia. Frankly I’ve no idea how many games I’ve played, besides the 2 games I hosted down the years, and again I have a lot of memories. A few particular highlights are my vig game in the Metroid mafia, where I fluke shot the godfather part way through the game (I still feel a nighttime duel between Samus and Ridley was pretty perfect for the story of the game). Also Cyberguy inadvertently saving the godfather from a lynch by day shooting the princess in my own F-zero mafia (spent a good 5 minutes laughing when I received that PM) as well as Ducklett going completely rogue and voting against the mafia when we had effective majority vote to throw the game in one of the anime mafias.

- The hacking incident. Safe to say spending several hours helping to deal with what appeared to be a massive forum hack wasn't quite what I expected when I decided to log in while on holiday a few months after getting modded. That it basically led to the end of Dizzybow's interest in the forum was a massive shame, but it was certainly memorable.

I could go on and talk about a dozen other things, but I think I’ve bored you all enough already. I’m sure I’ll still hang around as a member for a while longer at least, and I have a lot of you on either twitter or facebook if I do decide to vanish at some point. Feel free to add me if you want to and haven’t already and thanks for all the memories.

Nintendonator3000

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Always a shame to see a mod go, but good luck to you Pokemaniac. I'm not an insanely active user here and I've never really gotten involved with all the events such as Mafia that you listed, but I've been a member for probably about 6 years now and it's you mods who keep the place running, so thank you ;)
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 pm

oh man pokemon dawn was the reason I lurked onm for years, weird seeing it brought up again after all this time.

sad to see you go anyway, hope you stick around as a member at least even if it's just lurking.

now our resident righty is rickyuk and I don't know how that makes me feel.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:10 pm

I've already said this in the modroom, but thanks again Chris for all the work you've put in over the years! You're one of the few ONMers I've met in real life, and I hope we'll still see you around!

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 pm

always good to see some more people taking the black ;) yeah thanks for the work and the post, enjoyed reading some of your memories there. We'll have to hang out again at some point, I'm sure I'll be around Brum again not too far from now!

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 am

I'm glad to have been the target of your final modding decision

RIP DIZZYBOW

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:13 am

RIP
o7
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Shame to see you go Poke, you've been a very good mod and i have a lot of respect for you.
ImageImage

pokemaniac212

Post by pokemaniac212 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Wrathy wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 pm
always good to see some more people taking the black ;) yeah thanks for the work and the post, enjoyed reading some of your memories there. We'll have to hang out again at some point, I'm sure I'll be around Brum again not too far from now!
Definitely, let me know whenever you're in the area.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 pm

You're welcome haha. Kudos to you, and good luck with life. Glad that onm/sonm has done some good in making you a little more liberal. :)

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Ah man, sad to see ya go. Hope you do stick around tho from time to time. Thanks for modding~
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

Minoru
NNID: PunishingLawyer
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8638-1569

Post by Minoru » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 pm

pokemaniac212 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm
- Pokémon Dawn. Sadly never finished, but as the project that pushed me to become active on the forums, it has a special place in my memories of this place. Sadly I think the demo has been lost to the depths of history, but at least Jay has gone on to bigger and better things since.
I have the demo on an old harddrive. Just started it up to check and it's working right. I'm not sure how to do it but if you want the files I could probably share them?
Visit my Zero Escape AC town. Dream Address: 7900-2291-4463

pokemaniac212

Post by pokemaniac212 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Minoru wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 pm
pokemaniac212 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm
I have the demo on an old harddrive. Just started it up to check and it's working right. I'm not sure how to do it but if you want the files I could probably share them?
Don't worry too much if it isn't easy, but would be cool if you could.

Minoru
NNID: PunishingLawyer
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8638-1569

Post by Minoru » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 am

pokemaniac212 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:59 pm
Don't worry too much if it isn't easy, but would be cool if you could.
Okay, I tried uploading it to Google Drive, see if this works. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03zx1 ... sp=sharing
Visit my Zero Escape AC town. Dream Address: 7900-2291-4463

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:32 am

Shame to see you go. Later alligator.