The Future of SONM - Super Discussion

Having any problems with the site? Can you think of a way to make SONM better? Post here. Also includes forum news.
Tentacle

Re: The Future of SONM - Super Discussion

Post by Tentacle » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:13 pm

euan707 wrote:So, I was thinking about the idea of a community games thread (See here) and, as someone said, it would be a huge amount of work at a kinda slow pace.

So, I have the idea of merging that idea with the SONM network idea, and came up with a new one which, I think, is much better. So, instead of having everyone play a game, one user could record themselves playing a game, then upload it to youtube for others to view, LP style. That way, it has the same effect of being a community feeling, but it would be much more organised and streamlined...

Thoughts?
I brought this up a few weeks back funny enough: http://www.sonm.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=538

ONM Daily was a cool concept that could easily be integrated into a format that fits around this new forum and front page. It doesn’t even have to be vlogs or let’s plays anymore, the front page and general “SONM Network” could be used to promote community game dates, movie nights or even twitch streams. Heck, I’ve seen a fair share of users with YouTube links in there sigs. I am sure many of them wouldn’t mind a platform to share what they produce or have an additional channel to experiment on with a different audience.

Of course, this all depends on who is willing to make stuff and how consistent they can be.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:18 pm

I have an idea, not sure how useful it would be.

Add a "Shoutbox". It's just a small chat box that people can use to talk in without the need for an actual topic. It allows for faster communication I guess. I've seen it used on forums before and it's worked pretty well.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Doesn't the Chatango or IRC serve the same function? Or HDYFRN?
Thank you.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:43 pm

They get very little usage in the reality of most websites. They're not a fully fledged chat and they're not a topic, they sit in some middle ground where they do nothing particularly well, if there were a desire for that then setting up an IRC channel or chatango would probably be the better route to take but even then there's not really much point considering people would make their own or join a pre-existing one if they wanted something like that.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:42 pm

The only place in the forum I could see that idea work is in sports to discuss live broadcasts.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:06 pm

More news! In the very near future, all things going well, we'll be announcing our first major affiliation, which we hope (and I have every reason to believe) will be of great mutual benefit to both sites. You'll have to wait until the announcement to see who it is, so stay tuned and look out for that!

Elsewhere, we are making progress on SONM Network. We're still in the development phase for this area of expansion, with lots still to decide and do and plenty that could change, but it's looking pretty exciting so far! Expect to hear more about that in the future.

And of course, while we have been working on the above expansions for SONM we have still been updating our new front page (which had an update today), which is still barely a couple of weeks old, and there has been a steady level of activity being maintained across the boards!

Pineapple
NNID: Waddl.D

Post by Pineapple » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:21 am

Looking forward to seeing our first major affiliation. Though speaking of which, have there been any updates on NONM? It doesn't look like any progress has been made with the site.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:45 am

I've attempted email communication (apparently it's how all the kids talk nowadays) but had no reply, and the site hasn't changed at all since it was first linked here. Our new affiliate link will be replacing NONM, as at the moment it's mostly acting as a placeholder so that the 'Our Friends' section isn't empty. Of course if something does happen with it we can always return to the idea of affiliation in the future, but at the current time dropping the link makes the most sense - it's not helping them when the website is empty anyway!

Tentacle

Post by Tentacle » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:44 am

NONM failed? What a shock.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:19 pm

wait
I think I was supposed to be a content creator for that site
eton mess

Oh well, no one else was doing anything there.

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:17 pm

Exciting updates!
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: FIFA 18 and Rocket League

Dark nemisis
NNID: DarkNemisis

Post by Dark nemisis » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:25 pm

I just want to say you guys are doing a great job! :D

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:18 pm

With our first major affiliation a few days ago, and the launch of SONM Network tonight, that completes the beginnings of the first trilogy of major expansions for Super ONM! Of course we would still love any feedback and further ideas from everyone, but now we will put our efforts into establishing and growing our current expansions. Please do check them all out (:

LFF

Post by LFF » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Somehow I missed the network chatter.

Oops.
I used to be part of the community, now I just watch it...

dxpoo

Post by dxpoo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:04 am

Not sure if i'm missing it, but remember the ONM forums had a Mock Cover thread? What if we have something similar with the SONM logo?

Thank you.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:42 pm

A mock logo thread would just be an open art thread that anyone can do really, as it is their have been several "Make a logo" type threads for seasons and releases and stuff so that's kind of an ongoing thing that's already set up
Destiny is Destiny.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:59 pm

As Jenova says, we have already held a couple of banner competitions (the current banners across the three themes are a result of the last one!) so we sort of do that already. And while it's not a 'cover' per se, if you suggest a front page article you can provide the artwork too and see your design up on the site ;)

dxpoo

Post by dxpoo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:49 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:As Jenova says, we have already held a couple of banner competitions (the current banners across the three themes are a result of the last one!) so we sort of do that already. And while it's not a 'cover' per se, if you suggest a front page article you can provide the artwork too and see your design up on the site ;)

I don't think I was clear with what I said, apologies.

I meant instead of using the old ONM logo, we use the SONM logo for the mock cover, or something fitting for it etc if you get what I mean.

So as if it was a mock cover, just with the onm logo replaced with a substitute sonm logo. There used to be a Mock cover thread on the onm forums, id assume this version would belong to the arts section as already mentioned?

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:33 pm

but SONM doesn't have a magazine.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:43 pm

wp sherlock

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:19 pm

dxpoo wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:As Jenova says, we have already held a couple of banner competitions (the current banners across the three themes are a result of the last one!) so we sort of do that already. And while it's not a 'cover' per se, if you suggest a front page article you can provide the artwork too and see your design up on the site ;)

I don't think I was clear with what I said, apologies.

I meant instead of using the old ONM logo, we use the SONM logo for the mock cover, or something fitting for it etc if you get what I mean.

So as if it was a mock cover, just with the onm logo replaced with a substitute sonm logo. There used to be a Mock cover thread on the onm forums, id assume this version would belong to the arts section as already mentioned?
It would belong to the arts section, but that's just a thread for someone to make, that's not really something for "The Future of SONM" it'd just be a regular arts thread where people would make mock covers.
Destiny is Destiny.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Feel free to go ahead and make the thread if you want to (:

Decretum
NNID: Kotchi miteru?
PSN ID: Kotchi minaide!
Xbox Gamertag: Wanawanawana
Steam ID: Wana nanda??

Post by Decretum » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:19 am

When do we get our twitch emotes.

Also a live streamer list.
Also people should stream.
And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death

Tentacle

Post by Tentacle » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 am

Decretum wrote:When do we get our twitch emotes.

Also a live streamer list.
Also people should stream.
I attempted a live-stream show in the past when I did a ONM wrestling themed show. LightSamus got butt hurt and banned it.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Can we get a button for embedding YouTube videos? It gets tiresome having to constantly type out the tags by hand, I don't think it would be too hard right? So we can just highlight the link and click a button and it will put the YouTube tags in for us? Something like that would be awesome and a huge time saver.