Currently playing

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Re: Currently playing

Post by Robbo-92 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm also back on XCX, still got a couple of weeks to complete it and Shovel Knight before Zelda BoTW launches on 03/03, just getting a few side missions done before starting chapter 10. Party ranges from 43-38, I'll probably grind to level 50 and try to have at least one level 50 Skell before I even attempt mission 12, still a while to go before that though.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437

Post by Ape » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:47 pm

You should be able to do that Chapter on those levels, the boss was level 39 I think and I was in the early 40s. Sounds like you are higher level than I was during this point.

Just beat Chapter 11. Definitely sheds new light on the events surrounding the beginning of the game and answers some questions about the motivation behind a certain plot twist. And I see the requirement for Chapter 12 is simply "Obtain the Skell Flight Module" which I've already done.

So basically I'm at the point where I can either go straight to the final chapter and eventually final boss of the game or do some sidequesting and affinity missions to get more characters and see some side stuff. I want to get everyone up to at least Level 50 so I might as well do affinity missions before moving on and finally completing this game.

Done a few of these already.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Giving Dragon quest builders a break. As great as the story is, I feel like putting some time between chapters the best way to not feel too burnt out between each re-set and get the most enjoyment out of the experience.

That said, started tales of Xillia. Bit bummed out theres no jp option but I'll live. Apparently Judes story makes more sense than Millas on the first playthrough so went with him

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:24 pm

One of the issues with later affinity missions (not for getting the character as a option for your party but delving deeper into their story) you have to have quite high affinity, which is something that I really can't be bothered with frankly as affinity seems to take a long time to level up in this. I'll probably get to chapter 12 and then grind till level 50, buy four level 50 Skells and hope for the best. On a plus note I have mastered two more classes, just the shield trooper, full metal jaguar and the bottom one that's not galactic knight.

My attitude towards XCX may come across that I haven't enjoyed it that much (saying I can't be bothered with grinding for the affinity missions etc) but I actually really have, even the story has got a lot better than I thought it was ever going to be (reading around it sounded pretty dire) but having now put about 105 hours into it I'll be glad to see the back of it, definitely not planning on doing much (if any) of the post game stuff and not going to replay it like I plan to do with Xenoblade Chronicles before I play XC 2 when it comes out (thankfully there's new game + on that though making a subsequent playthrough for the story much easier). Probably more ready for something different after putting 60 + hours into XCX over the past month.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:17 am

beansontoast wrote:Giving Dragon quest builders a break. As great as the story is, I feel like putting some time between chapters the best way to not feel too burnt out between each re-set and get the most enjoyment out of the experience.
What chapter you at? If you want to know the total number it's 4

I think the game helps keep it fresh by having differing materials/rooms/items between each chapter, so you never really repeat yourself

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Currently going through mission 11 on XCX now, found a video showing a decent spot to level up quite quickly so I used that to get all my party up to level 50 so I can get some level 50 Skells before the last mission, doubt I'll be able to buy 4 without leaving the game on doing nothing for a few hours (well after I'd grinded to level 60, may as well use the time semi productively) as I only have about 5 million, didn't realise just how much level 50 Skells cost, reckon I should be good to buy 2 though which will hopefully mean I'll do it first time.

Edit, mission 11 done, cracking straight on with the final mission. Deciding to give it a go with my current set up, the boss of mission 11 went down very easily even with 3 level 30 Skells, might just invest in a fourth level 30 before I start the missions objectives.

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Got bored and decided to start playing through The Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Superstar Ultra. It was going great, until I got to the first boss (the fish thing) in which every rule of hitboxes went out the window. I had to stop playing, lest my Wii U Gamepad be damaged.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Well that's Xenobkade Chronicles X finished :) last mission is actually pretty good however you are locked in from a certain point, meaning you can't level up anymore without having to do the segment again, just a heads up for the people still playing. In the end I finished it with a team of 4 between 53 and 51, 4 level 30 Skells. The only issue was probably the 4 level 30 Skells, could have definitely done with 1 or 2 level 50 Skells as by the last part I was down to just one Skell although in the very last part Skells are rendered useless as the boss saps the fuel from them.

Actually a very enjoyable altogether, still no Xenobkade Chronicles in my opinion but I could definitely see a sequel being made after Xenoblade Chromicles 2 has been released. With how it ends I kind of hope there is a sequel, definitely leaves a bug question to be answered.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 pm

trying to play hitman
Bucket

Ape

Post by Ape » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:18 pm

Dang, you finished before me. We were almost neck and neck in progress too.

Attempting the final boss now, on my third attempt with Level 50 and 51 party members and Level 30 Smells. Got to phase two first attempt and then died, second time round I forgot to get into my Skell before the final boss battle actually started and so I was the only one who actually had a Skell during the first phase. About to do attempt number 3.
Also really should have named a Skell 3DS if I knew the final boss was going to be called Vita. I guess Sony is the Great One.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:03 am

Yeah I just beat you Ape, I probably wouldn't have if I'd done it how I planned, which was to grind to level 60 and have 4 level 50 Skells in use but in hindsight that'd have made the last fight too easy, I do kind of wish I'd stuck myself in a level 50 Skell with how quickly my team lost their respective Skells though.

I kept failing at one particular stage and in the end just lowered the level of the boss this turned out to be the very last part as well to get it finished, I might go back to it later in the year and get all the characters up to level 60, my character mastering all the classes (this also helped in the last boss battle, I looked for an Astral Cursader (Javelin/Sniper) build online and put some supporting skills with it to finally use up all those BP I've been acquiring, shame you can't favourite a set up though as it resets each time you switch class) all affinity missions done etc. The idea of farming for ages to get the best Skells is hugely off putting though so unless you can tackle the 90+ tyrants in the stock 50 Skells that won't be getting done any time soon.

I really liked the nods to Xenoblade Chronicles and other things such as the Vita as well.

Anyway as I said for the time being at least that's me done with Xenoblade Chronicles X, now onto my next game which will be.......
Time to sharpen my shovel, it's Shovel Knight!
Yeah I didn't need to spoiler that really.

Ape

Post by Ape » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:19 am

Well, this final boss is proving to be a challenge with my current levels an equipment. After the fourth failed attempt I decided that given my own experiences with final bosses like this I would be best off grinding up a bit more and increasing my levels so used the level grinding trick to quickly get up to Levels 52 and 53. Managed to get extremely lucky on the second phase of the fight where a Super Weapon did just enough damage to end it and skip the entire recovery phase where he puts up a shield and you have to destroy another enemy just to be able to attack him again, all the while he recovers health.

Then I ended up dying to the final boss. Need to preserve my skells for this final fight.

On another note:

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 am

I feel like I got pretty lucky at times as well, even in the very last stage where their level was lowered from 50 to 45 they still deal plenty of damage, only took out the one party member when their level was lowered though and that was Celica who was level 51. When he calls the shield I think you're better off just taking out the small orbs he sends out, attacking him in between before finally destroying the level 50 shield, or get lucky with a super weapon and skip this stage!

Ape

Post by Ape » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:39 am

Actually, at this point I'm grinding for succulent meat, so that I can improve the HP stats of my characters in ground combat. My avatar character Cross was still rocking something like 5300 max HP and the same goes for Irina, but both are now above 7000.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:03 am

I never really looked into all the augments (or soul voices for that matter) you can apply to increase health and the like, just went with the gear I found and the weapons I bought, neither of which were anything amazing as the game seems to want you to create your own which I didn't really have much interest in.

Edit, elected to restart Shovel Knight, I was only a couple of hours into it anyway so I wasn't exactly too far through it, just completed the first level again, besting the Black Knight in the process.

Edit 2, well that's King Knight and Specter Knight down, loving the writing in Shovel Knight :)

Ape

Post by Ape » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:20 am

Just beat Xenoblade Chronicles X now. Ended up lowering the difficulty for the fight against Lao and because I didn't want to do the fight before that again I just did the entire final fight on foot and didn't use overdrive, prioritising reviving anyone who died with a full TP gauge of 6000 TP. Persistence and attacking to our strengths was enough. I don't think I even needed to revive anyone in the second stage of the final fight.

Final team levels were 54 for Cross, Irina and Elma, 55 for Lin. I had one level 50 Skell on Cross. Watching a post credits cutscene right now.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:25 am

Edit, double post, only just noticed.
Last edited by Robbo-92 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:25 am

What did you make of the ending Ape?

Ape

Post by Ape » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:19 pm

I felt the way they concluded it was interesting, was expecting everyone to get real bodies back again even if the manner in which they did so was different as per the twist before the final boss battle. In the end, only one stasis capsule was actually in there and it turns out it was Elma's real body and she was an alien all along. Bit of an intersting plot twist but it does show Monolith's desire to give an explanation to everything, like why the humans have all this advanced technology which you would initially assume is just because it takes place 40 years later and technology has advanced to such a state that it would be possible to build that kind of stuff. But no, the ending explains it well, that Elma was an alien that came to earth to warn humanity of the planet's impending destruction and therefore becomes the instigator in the events of the entire game. And in the end it's just the backup power system that gets used up to help all the mims be preserved for longer.

I would have been fine it that alone was the ending. Then the post credits scene played and they decided to throw a whole bunch of plot twists at you. Like the fact that the database containing human consciousness and memories having been destroyed since you got there which is just a complete out of nowhere twist and frankly bizarre. Leads you to believe that there's something more to this planet and then they go and show you that Lao is still alive. Was a very interesting way to end the game, especially considering the last line of the entire game is "This story never truly ends."

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the locks on the Lifehold Core look like cigurettes and couldn't resist taking the joke of the big skell being called the Vita a step further. General Luxaar got the Vita from the Great One, that means that Sony is the Great One.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:34 pm

definitely hitman
Bucket

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:45 pm

hope you enjoyed not getting closure for that twist ending because I don't think we're ever getting a sequel

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:51 pm

i'm an elma person

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:45 pm

I actually like the way it throws new questions and potential plots at you in the post credit scene, leaves you wanting to play more, explore more of Mira (is Mira bigger than the five continents you explore in XCX?) to discover the answers.

Why can all the Mimesones remember their personalities and memories despite the core being damaged beyond repair? What is so special about Mira that all races can seemingly interact with each in their native tongue without learning it? Why did Lao wake up at the end despite seemingly being killed for good right at the end? Why did Earth actually believe Elma when she rocked up claiming to have knowledge of an impeding alien attack, I mean she brought plenty of advanced technology with her potentially making her story more plausible but still a person arriving like that would have caused a lot of doubt, obviously the story being set X years after she appeared probably answers this as they would have most likely asked these questions themselves. Who are the Sammarians? What race is Elma? She said what system/world she's from but never if she actually came from there?

If there is a sequel (I hope there is personally) I hope they actually give you a set main character, such as Elma as she was more or less the main character in X anyway, they could have probably just made her the main character in XCX anyway as its not like the created player has much of an impact on things.

Ape

Post by Ape » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:53 pm

In the meantime, I think we'll just have to go by theories, like Alvis being Mira as a way to tie the two games together, seems something of a stretch.

Anyway, now committing full time to my playthrough of Pokemon SoulSilver and have just beaten Falkner. Took two attempts to beat him on HeartGold with the following team:

http://i.imgur.com/dV5miyC.png

So for this one I grinded to the levels of my second attempt, (everyone was level 13) and it was a cakewalk.

His Pidgeotto didn't even get a chance to use Roost because it got paralysed on red health and my Mareep then outsped it and KO'd the Pidgeotto. One badge back, seven more to go.

Having second thoughts over Hitmontop considering it was a pain and a lot of effort to go through to get in the first place, but I figure that if I get a good Heracross from headbutting trees then I could have a solid fourth team member for taking on Whitney. Actually going to be filling out the team a lot quicker this time around, half the team will be different from before and unfortunately that looks like being the Battle Frontier core from my HeartGold team.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Finally got a copy of Nioh and it's absolutely brilliant.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Yooka Laylee Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Resident Evil 7
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker