Currently playing

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Re: Currently playing

Post by Robbo-92 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Just finished chapter 1 in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so far it's doing a much better job of keeping my attention than XCX did when I first played that. Hard to say what it'll be like towards the end but so far the story is pretty decent as well. I really quite like the art direction they opted for as well, very good game overall so far.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out on what the DLC will actually contain, mainly what the extra story content will be next year as while the other bits will probably be ok it's the story based DLC that would be getting my money more than anything else bundled with the expansion pass. Still wonder if they'll do an XCX2, hopefully if they do it'll feature Elma as the player character. How XCX ended they could easily do another game on the planet Mira.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:57 am
I finally got chance to play DOOM when it launched in Switch in November and I loved it, didn't leave my Switch till I'd completed it! Sure it had the odd slowdown here and there but all in all it seemed like a great port.
Yeah man honestly it's been so hard to put down; I'm a fairly big fan of the original two games by this point but I think this one might actually be even better; it's got one of the best overall gameplay loops of any action game I've played in recent memory
Shio hime wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:12 pm
Fusion contains the best scene/dialogue in the series. I wont spoil it for you but you'll probably know when you get there.
No idea when I'll get back to Fusion haha but I'll look forward to that
Hopefully I get back to it soon tho, as much as I find 2D games awkward to control the more action focused Metroid is pretty cool and I love the difficultly especially

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:27 pm

On Chapter 3 of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 now.

Monolith actually made the characters likable again. The after battle dialogue is actually funny again especially after you get Tora and Poppi in your party.
I like how this game actually has characters notice how differently Nopon speak to everyone else and then since Poppi is programmed to speak Nopon, one after battle quote asks why Poppi speaks differently and she just claims that everyone else adds "extra words"

Also, can I say that I love how Tora is almost the complete opposite of Riki. Riki saw his party members as sidekicks but Tora...

Currently been eaten alive by a giant fish... because that's NEVER happened before in video games.
It is also VERY easy to not make story progress in this game, especially with the knowledge that the skill trees are actually very important later in the game and you need to upgrade your Blades to progress. In terms of playable characters I suspect the three that I have are going to be the only three characters you get, seeing as party customisation appears to be solely linked to the Blades. If there are more playable characters I suspect there won't be any more than 5.

I like having a high amount of customisation to your skills and party members in RPGs (probably because of Pokemon, but even so) so I'm not too keen when the game dictates who you use and subsequently what their abilities will be (hello Final Fantasy IV). So, games where you have full control or almost full control over who is in your party are ones I tend to like. It's too early to see if that will be the case in this game but I would be surprised if the game threw too many more playable characters at you, especially since Tora can't use any Blades other than Poppi.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Fusion is the eton mess, SA-X still genuinely terrifies me in some of the chase segments

Currently hopping between Bloodborne and Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein is pretty dope but Bloodborne is just something else. Love the insight mechanic, just hit 40 and now there are weird eldritch monster things just chilling out on walls and buildings everywhere and it's the best thing. Getting into the harder segment of the game now I think, just beat Vicar Amelia and Witch of Hemwick (found them both weirdly easy considering ow much trouble I had with earlier bosses, Witch only took one attempt). Now I've got the choice of the Frontier which holy gooseberry fool why does everything want to kill me I can't deal with all this poison, and also the Forbidden Woods and again holy gooseberry fool even the floor wants to kill me, also gooseberry fool the poison bit with all the eels why is there so much poison now
Also got access to Hypogaean Gaol ages ago but straight up gooseberry fool that eton mess I can't deal with it
Basically, this game is slowly turning me into a quivering bag of nerves and I gooseberry fool love it

Oh yeah and I should probably finish Uncharted 4 at some point but oddly little motivation to, just hasn't grabbed me as much as the previous ones (2 is still the best)
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Rik wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 pm
Oh yeah and I should probably finish Uncharted 4 at some point but oddly little motivation to, just hasn't grabbed me as much as the previous ones (2 is still the best)
Uncharted 4 is my personal favourite but 2 is certainly a strong contender. I find it a tiny bit strange it hasn't grabbed you - it's not the best game but it certainly drew me in and one of the few games I didn't mind playing for a long time in one session. I hope you return to it, because there's definitely a good game in there.
Worth playing to the end if you're a fan of the series, because the ending really does give the series some nice closure
Where are you so far?
"soylent green is people"

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:07 am

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, spending far too long exploring the first large area you come to but I dare say levelling up my party won't to any harm in the long run.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Cruizer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm
Rik wrote:
Uncharted 4 is my personal favourite but 2 is certainly a strong contender. I find it a tiny bit strange it hasn't grabbed you - it's not the best game but it certainly drew me in and one of the few games I didn't mind playing for a long time in one session. I hope you return to it, because there's definitely a good game in there.
Worth playing to the end if you're a fan of the series, because the ending really does give the series some nice closure
Where are you so far?
Actually finished it last night while I had the house to myself and could put a few hours in, dunno why exactly it didn't grab me as much, might just be I've gone off this style of game. Liked the ending though, did a good job of rounding off all the themes it'd been exploring, only part I didn't like was the awkward QTE swordfight. Epilogue was The Good Feels tho, bookended the series quite nicely (while giving them plenty of scope for more spinoffs following Sully and Sam).
Story wise I reckon it was a lot better than 3 but 2's still my favourite. Tempted to get the trilogy now, only ever did one playthrough of 1 and 3 so it'd be fun to go back to them again.

Also, Bloodborne getting better and better, love the enemy design in the woods (fighting a normal looking villager and then surprise! sneks!). Went back to Hypogaen for a bit and found Darkbeast Paarl and got murderbolted as well.
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 pm

Was on Sonic Heroes last night after moving my Wii into my room rather than being shoved into a corner where the main TV is, and felt like an idiot upon realising I'd been doing special stages wrong this whole time. It took just one or two hours to claim the rest of the emeralds and complete the last story.
Had fun with it, and Doube Dash, so I know that my love of Gamecube hasn't declined any.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:11 am

Rik wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm
Cruizer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm
Rik wrote:
Where are you so far?
Actually finished it last night while I had the house to myself and could put a few hours in, dunno why exactly it didn't grab me as much, might just be I've gone off this style of game. Liked the ending though, did a good job of rounding off all the themes it'd been exploring, only part I didn't like was the awkward QTE swordfight. Epilogue was The Good Feels tho, bookended the series quite nicely (while giving them plenty of scope for more spinoffs following Sully and Sam).
Story wise I reckon it was a lot better than 3 but 2's still my favourite. Tempted to get the trilogy now, only ever did one playthrough of 1 and 3 so it'd be fun to go back to them again.
Glad you finished them. I hadn't played an uncharted game prior to the ps4 hd remakes (well worth getting by the way) and then played 4 not long after beating the first 3 but for me 4 stood out as the best, but to each their own.

Re. the sword fight at the end I thought that was one of the better final bosses(both the character and the gameplay) and I don't particularly rate the final boss fights on the previous installments (as amazing as 2 was in general I was really unimpressed with that last fight).

Yup,the ending was good I was glad
the brother didn't turn out to betray Nathan in a way that would irreversibly ruin their relationship as I suspected he may and that the brother got a pretty happy ending

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:26 am

I've still not got around to playing 4 despite enjoying the previous 3. Not sure if it was because I played those 3 back to back but by the end of game 3 the seemingly endless waves of enemies definitely got a little tiring, the first game was the worst offender in this respect though. Is 4 filled with similar segments of numerous waves of enemies? I still mean to play it regardless but with all the other games I have to play it's still around the bottom of the list. If I know I won't be facing multiple waves of enemies in each battle and can just blast through it for the story I may be a little more tempted so I can cross of off my list.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm

I played it at the beginning of this year so my memory might be a little fuzzy.....

But from what I remember there was certainly a bit of filler in the game to stretch out the total playtime, there was alot of big set pieces that sometimes felt like interactive cinematic sequences but the amount of scenes where you had to gun to down ridiculous hordes of enermies was much less in 4 than the other games, but I maybe mistaken.

I would say if you enjoyed the stories of the other ones and liked Nathan as a character definitely play this one (4 was favorite characterisation of Nathan just because he wa a bit more vulnerable and likable, I loved his relationship with his brother too). The cut scenes and the story gave me the Last of Us vibes. Its also one of the best looking ps4 games i've played.

There was a bit where you're cliff climbing in the Highlands, which for me stands out as one of my all time favorite individual gaming moments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got Lost Legacy for Christmas - anyone know if its any good?

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm

This could well be the most unexpected (and awesome) reward i have ever come across in an Assassin's Creed game (or any game for that matter over the last five years).

ImageImage

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:21 pm

No idea re The Lost Legacy not played it either!

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

As big a deal as Uncharted 4 was, I actually prefer Lost Legacy. You'll likely find it refreshing thanks to the slight cast refresh and other small gameplay additions.

Although besides striking that balance of diversity in it's setting and characters with familiarity (especially to 4 in terms of combat, stealth and climbing) it's mostly the pacing that puts TLL a cut above 4 and closer to 2.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Finally got around to playing through Super Mario 3D World. I think I'm on World 6 now but I've been finding it pretty boring. It's what I expected, basically bigger 3D Land - which is I suppose what it was made to be. It delights me with something new and refreshing every so often but overall it still feels a bit soulless. Like an isometric NSMB, except I hope this '3D' series isn't going to become as ever-longlasting as the 'New' series.

It's just a little thing but I do like how Peach doesn't need saving this time and is in fact one of the playable characters, even though I barely have any intention in playing her because she moves so slow. I've been mainly using Toad and Mario. Not too crazy about the way they handled the characters and their different properties.

As I haven't played Odyssey yet this is one of the more beautiful Mario games I've played. Everything looks so polished. The sound is nice too. And I should mention that here and there the game can be pretty challenging (you get a ton of lives but still). The bosses are cool too, even if they are not so challenging.

Ape

Post by Ape » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:35 am

Made a bit more progress on Xenoblade 2 although not much. This despite the fact I was playing for something like 3-4 hours and that's mainly because I spent a while grinding on the game and also trying to find everyone's favourite pouch items. There's still a growth requirement for Dromarch to use his favourite Pouch items from the Meat Category by the looks of things.

Popped back on a bit more today and now fighting Akhos, he's Level 24...

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Been playing some more Pokémon recently as its a game I've neglected quite a bit since getting it. I've now caught a decent natured, fluffy Stufful and I'm now onto the second islands grand trial. Really hoping it starts to grab me a little more than it has done so far, I'm hoping I'll start to see more changes in the story when I get onto island 3 and hopefully Necrozma takes a bigger role (well so far it's been more or less non existent).

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 pm

The third island is where changes become more noticable, and you get to a last trial that is essentially a revisit of the captains, which adds a bit extra to the game. That's after all the Necrozma stuff, which sees a good fight against it before the ability to capture it.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Yubel wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm
As big a deal as Uncharted 4 was, I actually prefer Lost Legacy. You'll likely find it refreshing thanks to the slight cast refresh and other small gameplay additions.

Although besides striking that balance of diversity in it's setting and characters with familiarity (especially to 4 in terms of combat, stealth and climbing) it's mostly the pacing that puts TLL a cut above 4 and closer to 2.
Cheers for that Yubel, in that case I'll look forward to playing it soon. I'm still in full Mario Odyssey mode at the moment which continues to be awesome obviously.

Ape

Post by Ape » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 am

I have now reached a sticking point in Xenoblade 2.

On Chapter 3 the way I am going appears to be blocked by a dam. There was a magnifying glass icon in the middle of the dam but if I was to examine it then I would have to delicately jump between the sections of the dam to analyse it.

Could turn out that I don't even need to go that way of course but it's a bit annoying.

EDIT: Also this game's soundtrack has been top quality so far. A few tracks ARE derivative of the original and it is mostly in the same style but I don't think that matters when the music is so catchy...

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 am

Playing Breath of the Wild, wandering round the Gerudo Town like
das a peepo

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:40 pm

I see what you did there :)

How you finding BOTW so far?

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 pm

My only major gripe is the weapon durability, and how it basically forces you to use crap you find lying around, lest you break your favourite one.

Other than that, I'm absolutely loving it. The freedom to just abandon the story and go climb that huge mountain in the distance is a breath of fresh air (ho ho) that the series desperately needed. I've been so engrossed in side quests and exploration, I've only just finished the third Divine Beast, and I've no intention of charging in to the fourth.

I do wish there were easier ways to get meals and recovery items, though. Gathering up the materials for a decent meal can be tedious, and rinsing through them during a Lynel fight leaves you buggered for any future encounters.
das a peepo

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 am
Playing Breath of the Wild, wandering round the Gerudo Town like
>when want to gooseberry fool the NPCs and the player character
Or was that just me?

Problem I have with BOTW (and the reason I don't think it deserved to get the metacritic best game of the year accolade) is that I have no drive to do anything in the game. I finished the campaign with all but 10 or 12 shrines in just over 60 hours and since I put the game down I've never wanted to play it again. I don't want to get all the shrines, I don't want to do the side quests, I don't want to explore the world. It just feel to me like Nintendo absolutely nailed getting a popular franchise and attaching it to a game that's just nothing. It seems to me that they did the same thing with Samus Returns as well. I've played all the prime games twice, Zero missions easily 10 times, and Fusion is easily over 50 now. Will I ever bother to do a 100% run of Samus Returns? I seriously doubt it.

On the upside I've been playing Fire Emblem Warriors recently and holy eton mess it's blown me away. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. However it turns out that by applying some kind of simple Fire Emblem elements to the Dynasty Warriors base has transformed the game in a really good way. The campaign took me about 20 hours, but I've played nearly 60 now and still want to keep playing and doing stuff on higher difficulties, upgrading my characters, getting support conversations, etc.

For the record I think the best game of the year should probably have gone to Nier Automata, Persona 5, or Divinity Original Sin 2.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:48 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 pm
My only major gripe is the weapon durability, and how it basically forces you to use crap you find lying around, lest you break your favourite one.
If you were playing a shooter and found some ammo for a super powerful rocket launcher, you'd probably save it for when you really needed it.

Play BOTW with the same mindset towards weapons as you would ammunition in a shooter and you'll be so much better off.

Also as the game goes on you get better and better weapons and the problem becomes more running out of space than running out of weapons.