Currently playing

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Re: Currently playing

Post by Kappa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 pm

just beat thunderblight ganon and oh boy that boss sucked. have to parry or perfect dodge except he has two different delayed melee attacks LOLOLOLOLOLOL get fucked. for all the options the game gives you everywhere else thunderblight is a great disappointment. for calamity ganon i know he gets twatted by the divine beasts you recapture but you could justify him getting stronger by having the elemental aspects of ganon returning to him on kill as opposed to just having a straight advantage over him but you're more powerful since you had to go through capturing the divine beasts you are more able to handle it. at least i only broke two weapons on him and still have the stunlock pair of weapons if something actually hard comes up
i'm loving the exploring aspect and the different ways you can go about it. discovering shrines and how to get to them is honestly more fun than going through the actual shrines themselves. the options you have when exploring coupled with the large draw distance of the game give you so much information over the bethesda "lol just look at the compass that has your objective markers it's really fun i promise" which means my minimap is just a compass as opposed to my do everything map. botw is such a refreshing take on the whole open world thing so it's really good for me who's open world experience mostly consists of skyrim and fallout 4 (both of these games are legitimately bad if you disagree fucking fight me). the fast travel system is negative on EV because blood moons buff up monsters and their weapons so you can refresh on your weapons if your stash got ruined by a major test of strength. i've been talking with user: Shio hime about the fast travel and it does legitimately enhance the experience as opposed to other open world games (read: mainly skyrim) where it would completely ruin the game if it did not have fast travel on the basis that there's actually worthwhile stuff to do whilst travelling but there is an actual tradeoff between going fast and obtaining meaningful resources which drives you do unexplored territory organically.

new page new kappa

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Just got to the first boss (well maybe the boss with it being a demo) in Octopath Traveler, safe to say I'm really liking this game so far. Looks great, the music is decent, the voice acting is good. Primrose's backstory and the characters associated with her are good. I'll be playing through the demo with the soldier afterwards. Definitely looking like a day 1 purchase though.

Anyway Kappa, what makes Skyrim (never played Fallout 4 so can't comment) a legitimately bad game in your opinion? While it's not perfect I've still loved the time I've put into Skyrim and will do again when it comes out on the Switch later this year. Saying that I may feel differently when I do play Skyrim again as I'll have put at least 102 hours into Zelda, hopefully more as after Mario and Rabbids that's my next Switch game to play.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Started Metroid: Samus Returns, already got the first few powerups, beaten the first Metroid and progressed to Area 1. Really liking the game so far, it definitely feels like a Metroid game but there are a few things I don't like so far, I think the melee counter thing is a bit overdone in every enemy having a charge attack, it's caught me out a lot of times so far and I've lost health because of not being used to having this counter attack, but if you do use it then it seems enemies become completely immobilised.

Also not keen on having the A button be Scan. Sometimes I accidentally hit the button when I mean to jump and end up scanning the area around me to reveal where all the secrets are, something I've been trying to avoid (this is also something I wasn't overly keen on about Prime 3's observatory).

Other than that I like this game so far. Will be interesting when I've finished it to see the full map and how it compares with the original Metroid II map. That said, the areas being called "Area 1", "Area 2" etc is a bit lazy on naming and seems to be a common trend with Metroid games outside of the Prime series that aren't based on Zebes. It's just like "Sector 1", "Sector 2" from Fusion and Other M again.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 am

Dragonball is good and people should be excited. Wish the beta came with a practise mode to feel things out but it's still strong ArcSys. Still super shaky doing 3v3 though, always played solo characters whenever I can so I've been eating eton mess.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Played Samus Returns for a couple of hours. Got to the 3rd zone and got the lightning armour.

I'm really impressed with the game so far, the melee counter and the free aim are really nice additions to 2D Metroid combat which has always been quite bland once you're good at the game with jump + shoot being the only things to do. Not fond of there being an "I'm bad at Metroid" pulse, but I can just not use it so it's not like it'll change the game in any real way for me. Also a little annoyed that wall jumping in this game doesn't even require a tiny amount of skill like the previous 2D Metroids.

So far so good though, by the looks of things should easily beat the game today or tomorrow and move on to hard mode. Also looking forward to what speed tech is found in the game and whether or not it qill become a speed game for the franchise. Nice to see Samus returning to what really made the franchise what it is, well done Nintendo.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Ape

Post by Ape » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:26 pm

I think it has more speedrunning potential than Other M and Federation Force certainly did. It might not be to the levels of something like Super Metroid or Zero Mission though because it's a remake of a linear Metroid game, not anticipating too many instances of being able to sequence break (although I've seen some tweets who claim they have managed to do it).

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Yeah let's just forget Other M and Federation Force exist.

I think there's definite potential for sequence breaking, but not on the same level as RBO.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Think I've done Primrose's portion of the demo, I've beaten the boss and now I'm just wondering around, found the other character to join my party. Will have a wander before starting the it other path.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Ape wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:26 pm
I think it has more speedrunning potential than Other M and Federation Force certainly did. It might not be to the levels of something like Super Metroid or Zero Mission though because it's a remake of a linear Metroid game, not anticipating too many instances of being able to sequence break (although I've seen some tweets who claim they have managed to do it).
I haven't tried infinite bomb jumps that much here, but I've spotted a few places you can probably get through early if you can. And depending on the category you can probably just tank a few of the acid pools, but I don't know how viable that would be.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:24 pm
Anyway Kappa, what makes Skyrim (never played Fallout 4 so can't comment) a legitimately bad game in your opinion? While it's not perfect I've still loved the time I've put into Skyrim and will do again when it comes out on the Switch later this year. Saying that I may feel differently when I do play Skyrim again as I'll have put at least 102 hours into Zelda, hopefully more as after Mario and Rabbids that's my next Switch game to play.
obviously im not kappa but i find skyrim interesting to talk about
I think one thing that immediately let me down about it is the movement options; you can only really dash and walk(or ride a horse but oh my god the collision detection, also it really doesn't feel that much faster). I think this gooseberry fool sucks because you have this huge fantasy world that you want to explore but you can't really do it in good time, and it makes the fact that there is little meaningful content or cool level design along the way all the more glaring. I also dislike the way its overall narrative works (at least the bit of it I played); it's structured in what seems to be more typical of a film or linear game. This doesn't work at all because I literally forget whatever the gooseberry fool it is I'm doing or why it matters or who this character is because it's such an irrelevant detail and seems so disconnected to the game itself because I really don't get how it is meant to affect what I am doing.

While I guess the style appeals to some people, I find the depressingly grey and realistic european fantasy art style the game goes for to be boring as all hell. Every locale looks the same, which kind of gooseberry fool with the gameplay because everything in this open world resemble each other; thus if the map didn't tell me I probably wouldn't be able to tell if I had been somewhere before. Also it's depressing as hell lol and I don't think that's the feeling the game wants me to feel, judging by its "epic" sounding orchestral score

Also it's probably a western rpg thing I don't understand but wow the combat is lame; enemies barely and rarely react to hits and there's practically no sense of impact.
yes so gooseberry fool skyrim basically

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Kappa

Post by Kappa » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 pm

agree with vtheyoshi says, the game has very little depth. just grab dualcast/knockback perk if you range and if you want to melee just walk forward and walk back. you're also not at all important in the world of skyrim, the quests are pure busywork consisting of "lol look at the compass at the top of the screen instead of this cool world we made ignore that". there is little/zero chance to actually do any meaningful roleplaying which is a bit of a bummer since those games are advertised as roleplaying games. the ui is really really bad, doesn't even work well on console but on pc it's a travesty. fast travelling is completely essential as there's nothing to do walking across the land but then also make a bunch of quests require you to go across the distance of an entire country which really puts a big damper on the whole open world deal, nothing more than going to a level select screen. the business practice of bethesda also disgusts me, they get praised for releasing no man's sky-tier early access games at full price and expect people to mod it into something playable instead of putting out a polished project. fallout 4 got released in the same year witcher 3 and metal gear solid 5 came out, two far far better games that actually let you roleplay and the process of playing those games is actually fun, bethesda games' only purpose is to waste time and to maybe get an alright looking screenshot.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I actually liked the graphical style Bethesda went for in Skyrim, it made for some fantastic views especially night when you had the aurora borealis covering the sky. I also really liked exploring the world by just wondering about (much like I did in Zelda) and not doing much, granted this gradually became less and less the more quests I got which did require you to travel to the other side of the map. The worst graphical/art decision I found was the caves, sure there was loads of them but a lot of them were very similar which kind of made exploring them nowhere near as much fun as it was to start with.

I'll also agree about the combat, melee is plain awful in my opinion. Magic is fun until it stops getting more powerful (meaning enemies just become bullet sponges) and you can spam expert and master level spells for 0 magic cost. Bows and sneaking around is good fun though, it's certainly the option I'll be going for again by using a bow and a couple of daggers.

As I said I may actually end up feeling differently about it as I haven't played Skyrim since before Breath of The Wild released and I'll undoubtedly be putting at least a few more hours into it in the two months before Skyrim comes out.

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:43 am

Robbo-92 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:32 pm
Think I've done Primrose's portion of the demo, I've beaten the boss and now I'm just wondering around, found the other character to join my party. Will have a wander before starting the it other path.
I've completed the demo with both characters and really, really enjoyed it. The battles are strongly reminiscent of Bravely Default (this is no surprise as it's by the same team) but with another layer of strategy on top. Factor in each character's special abilities and the fact that there'll be eight stories to complete from launch and you begin to worry that the game is going to take up a lot of your time. Not that I mind. 8-)

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Yeah I agree with what Kappa said
Robbo-92 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 pm
I actually liked the graphical style Bethesda went for in Skyrim, it made for some fantastic views especially night when you had the aurora borealis covering the sky. I also really liked exploring the world by just wondering about (much like I did in Zelda) and not doing much, granted this gradually became less and less the more quests I got which did require you to travel to the other side of the map. The worst graphical/art decision I found was the caves, sure there was loads of them but a lot of them were very similar which kind of made exploring them nowhere near as much fun as it was to start with.
Idk maybe it's down to personal taste but I really don't get it, and it doesn't help that like every other game that the west spat out between 2009-2015 had a similar graphical style and uninspired art direction
Yeah I do agree about the caves; even different sections of the same ones looked too similar to each other
Robbo-92 wrote:
I'll also agree about the combat, melee is plain awful in my opinion. Magic is fun until it stops getting more powerful (meaning enemies just become bullet sponges) and you can spam expert and master level spells for 0 magic cost. Bows and sneaking around is good fun though, it's certainly the option I'll be going for again by using a bow and a couple of daggers.
My friends were telling me that the very same stealth archer archetype you mentioned is the meta of this game; it's completely broken compared to the rest to the point that most people just gravitate towards it naturally

Yeah honestly I can imagine it will be very hard going back to Skyrim after playing something like Zelda, which is inherently far better structured around the open world game design philosophy in every facet of its design.
tbh I got bored of Skyrim after maybe 20 hours, may give the Switch ver a chance cuz muh third party support and I've only ever played it on my eton mess laptop

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
I actually liked the graphical style Bethesda went for in Skyrim, it made for some fantastic views
Call me a sucker for snow and ice, but I loved the sections of the game in those areas. The combat could have been made a little more intense..
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Met wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:43 pm
Metroid is good again, guys.
It still has some catching up to do, but it's getting there.
Bucket

Decretum
NNID: Kotchi miteru?
PSN ID: Kotchi minaide!
Xbox Gamertag: Wanawanawana
Steam ID: Wana nanda??

Post by Decretum » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Skyrim is poo I have said so from the beginning and I maintain my stance
And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Decretum wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 pm
Skyrim is poo I have said so from the beginning and I maintain my stance
Think a lot of people may disagree with you on that one, but I'll agree it's far from perfect but it doesn't stop me from loving it.
Bix wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Call me a sucker for snow and ice, but I loved the sections of the game in those areas. The combat could have been made a little more intense..
Combat could have definitely been better, hopefully this is the one area that's gets improved most when The Elder Scrolls 6 comes out, if Bethesda are actually making one rather than focusing on the Online series of games.

@Vtheyoshi, Archer is definitely the way to go, it's broken but still manages to be fun in my opinion at least. I'd say giving Skyrim a go on the Switch but that's coming from a fan of the game to start with anyway. I'm actually looking forward to giving it another go after playing Zelda, just to see how far huge open world games have come.
ZeroJones wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:43 am

I've completed the demo with both characters and really, really enjoyed it. The battles are strongly reminiscent of Bravely Default (this is no surprise as it's by the same team) but with another layer of strategy on top. Factor in each character's special abilities and the fact that there'll be eight stories to complete from launch and you begin to worry that the game is going to take up a lot of your time. Not that I mind. 8-)
Very similar to Bravely Default in the way the player can store up extra turns, although you get the for free this time so it's a little easier. The story is kind of interesting, the demo seems to imply you'll be able to get some of the other travelers as part of your team, does this mean only a characters opening chapters vary and once you've done a few chapters the story will merge? Or will you need to play it 8 times to get the full experience? (Which wouldn't be a bad thing unless each persons story takes an overly long time to complete, meaning a lot of play time for 100%). Definitely day one for myself though, liking the Knights demo although not as much as Primrose's story as her back story was really interesting.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:08 pm

As I couldn't get a copy of Metroid, I got Dishonored Death of the Outsider instead and it's more of the same so far, which is great, can't wait to try out the new powers/
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

DekuHero
NNID: Deathbringer2206
PSN ID: Deathbringer2206
Xbox Gamertag: Ghostface2206
Steam ID: Deathbringer2206

Post by DekuHero » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Around this time last year I posted in this thread about playing and finishing Persona 4 then wondering which one to play next but it was only last month that I finally got around to playing and finishing Persona 5 and then after that I took a quick break to play through the pacifist run of Undertale since it was ported to PS4 (I've played it once before when I marathoned it while staying with my friend, but going through at my own pace was much more immersive) then I started Persona 3 (FES) and it is great, I like the style it has and the differences from the other 2 I've played were interesting but of course the whole thing about not being able to control your party is a bit annoying, it's not game-ruining or anything though, it just makes me spend the game wishing I could control them. (properly control them, I know about changing tactics and such but that's so close to almost controlling them you may as well just let me control them y'know?) (I know P3 Portable has party control but I would rather play the original, warts and all, and I don't have a PSP)

Also going off the added accessibility in P5 I bet if they make P6 it'll make it so you don't get a game over until your whole party is dead rather than just you, it's annoying when you have things like Mamudo and it only kills you and you get a game over, it doesn't make much sense when applied to the in-game logic either, since your friends can revive each other all they want but when you go down it's suddenly all over. No one's gonna miss that just like how no one misses the old ones when game over meant go all the way back to where you last saved regardless of when that was.

My main plan is that after I finish this I'm going to probably do the genocide run of Undertale (which I've never done at all) and then I'm going to do a Final Fantasy marathon of sorts, I'm going to start from VII (which I have on PS1 and is the only one I've played, and I didn't get very far) then hunt down copies of VIII and IX to play those, then play X, XII and XIII which I own but haven't played, then finish off with buying and playing XV. It's probably just because I'm in a turn based JRPG kinda mood right now, I'll get round to the ones before VII one day but right now I feel oddly determined to do this for some reason. I also think after that I'll do an even shorter Dragon Quest marathon consisting of VIII and IX, neither of which I own or have played (my brother used to have IX and it's one of the many games I wish he hadn't sold), by the time I've finished with IX they'll probably have done the international release of XI so I'll play that too hopefully. Oh and my friend recently got into Kingdom Hearts and I promised him I would marathon all those games too since I've had KH1 and 2 on my shelf for ages now, and marathoning that series would actually mean I would have to play all the titles in it to get the full story because even people who skipped on the GBA game between the first 2 were confused as hell when they got to KH2 apparently.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:58 pm

I'd miss insta-game overs when your MC dies, even from eton mess like mudo and hama. It's a core function of combat and completely changes how you approach combat and while it can be frustrating I'd 100% say that the strategy it adds to things outweighs the negatives every time. If you're not taking the threat of death from certain enemies into consideration then that's kind of on you.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am

It was handled badly in P4 because it felt like a completely arbitrary limitation of the battle system that didn't make sense in the game world at all, and felt counter-intuitive in gameplay because you can revive everyone else. They should have found some way to justify it really.

Kappa

Post by Kappa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 pm

they aren't actually high schoolers, theyre demons that are no longer in service because you're dead

Ape

Post by Ape » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Made some notable progress in Metroid Samus Returns, managed to defeat a Metroid and then picked up the Bombs and Spider Ball. Then made the mistake of trying to use the game's Miiverse community to take an in game screenshot while the connection wasn't stable and ended up on a screen I couldn't do anything on and had to turn the game off. Thankfully I only lost the Spider Ball.

Finding Bomb Jumping ridiculously easy in this game though it's been 10 years or so since I was playing all the Metroid games altogether so I must have learned the technique properly now.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am

Done the Spanish Grand Prix in my F1 career, qualified 5th and finished in 4th. My favourite F1 game to date, really is that good. Still not ventured online mind as that might take the shine off things.