Life Is Strange: Before The Storm - The Thread

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Ash
NNID: Ash_Harrison1
3DS Friend Code: 4571-1063-1653
PSN ID: Ash_Harrison1
Steam ID: FightAshFight

Life Is Strange: Before The Storm - The Thread

Post by Ash » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:26 pm

Life Is Strange is an episodic graphic adventure video game developed by Dontnod Entertainment and published by Square Enix. It is available for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and consists of five episodes released periodically throughout 2015, and had a limited edition version released on Microsoft Windows, Playstation 4 and Xbox One at the start of 2016.

The game's plot focuses on Maxine Caulfield, a photography student who discovers that she has the ability to rewind time at any moment, leading her every choice to enact the butterfly effect. After having foreseen an approaching storm, Max must take on the responsibility to prevent it from destroying her town. The player's actions will adjust the narrative as it unfolds, and reshape it once allowed to travel back in time. Fetch quests and making environmental changes represent the forms of puzzle solving in addition to using branching choices for conversation.

Launch trailer (slight Episode 1 spoilers):

I guess we may as well have news about Life is Strange 2 too I suppose. Here is news when they confirmed a second one and here is them talking that they'd use a new cast. - GuitarHero

Discuss everything to do with Life Is Strange here (which stops us filling up currently playing) without the need to censor half of the conversation as is currently happening.
Last edited by Ash on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Re: Life Is Strange - The Thread (Spoilers inside past OP)

Post by GuitarHero » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:22 pm

Ha ha you beat me to it, I was going to make a general story-driven/graphical adventure/interactive drama (have no idea what genre to call it) thread but this is as good as there aren't many other games worth talking about right now, off the top of my head at least.
Ash wrote:@GuitarHero - The game is definitely much more fun if you interact with everything before moving on. I was bursting out laughing at multiple things I'd missed on the first playthrough, so I definitely think checking everything before moving on is the best way of going about it.
Unfortunately with some areas it can just be so tedious to check everything, especially when you just want to progress the story.
Ash also wrote:When Chloe gets trapped on the train tracks her foot isn't even actually caught on anything when you look at it so I'm not even sure why you have to do that.
I was hoping for a Walking Dead style chop off her leg situation, but alas, that isn't possible...
Ash even wrote:The one thing that gets me about Max's powers is that she knew exactly when the tornado was coming and the location of the dark room, as well as the fact that it was kitted out for the apocalypse so why the hell did she not just warn everyone about it, and tell them to go to the dark room on Thursday night? Could've saved the whole town, as well as Chloe.
I guess it depends how her powers work really. Saving everyone could make the world implode if saving one person causes a huge storm.

That's the thing too, her powers aren't really explained at all. I do wonder in the second game if they'll explore the power at all, as its very mysterious otherwise.

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:32 pm

GuitarHero wrote:Unfortunately with some areas it can just be so tedious to check everything, especially when you just want to progress the story.
I think the area I enjoyed the most doing this was the locker rooms before you get in the swimming pool, there's so much stuff that just makes you laugh and wouldn't surprise you if you found it actually in a locker room. The "Victoria loves the D" written inside a crudely drawn penis in the boy's locker room.
GuitarHero also wrote:I was hoping for a Walking Dead style chop off her leg situation, but alas, that isn't possible...
That would've been... interesting, but I think that alternate timeline Chloe where she's in the wheelchair serves that sort of purpose.
GuitarHero even wrote:I guess it depends how her powers work really. Saving everyone could make the world implode if saving one person causes a huge storm. That's the thing too, her powers aren't really explained at all. I do wonder in the second game if they'll explore the power at all, as its very mysterious otherwise.
Yeah, her powers aren't explained well at all, but for me, I think that works better, as it certainly opens up opportunities within the game, such as why her powers don't work when Kate is on the roof. I don't think that'd be anywhere near as good were I able to rewind.

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:17 am

Ash wrote:That would've been... interesting, but I think that alternate timeline Chloe where she's in the wheelchair serves that sort of purpose.
I suppose, plus the problem with wildly different decisions like to chop or not to chop would require whatever happened after that to be completely different depending on your decision. Although, that has happened at the end of Walking Dead Season 2 so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.
Ash likewise wrote:Yeah, her powers aren't explained well at all, but for me, I think that works better, as it certainly opens up opportunities within the game, such as why her powers don't work when Kate is on the roof. I don't think that'd be anywhere near as good were I able to rewind.
Definitely agree that it was necessary to limit the powers at certain situations as these events would lose all dramatic effect. Whereas most of the choices its fine to rewind, as everything is so grey you always have some doubt in your decision making.

I guess we may as well have news about Life is Strange 2 too I suppose. Here is news when they confirmed a second one and here is them talking that they'd use a new cast. I feel that second one is needed as the first game's story was wrapped up nicely, although I wouldn't be surprised to see a cameo or two.

jimbob555

Post by jimbob555 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Didn't like the ending really but I enjoyed the ride. I felt it was very silly to give the player two options that both pretty much erased their relationships with everyone by either having them never happen or killing them all. I understand it was a story about Chloe and Max but Chloe never came across as much of a likable character to me.

This might be the anime in me talking but I felt the original Madoka Magica series told the story a little better. About a friend timetraveling to try and save their friend over and over with cataclysmic consequences.

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:54 pm

@GuitarHero - I've stuck that last paragraph of yours into the OP, since I completely forgot that Season 2 is going to be a thing somehow. Bring it on.
jimbob555 wrote:Didn't like the ending really but I enjoyed the ride. I felt it was very silly to give the player two options that both pretty much erased their relationships with everyone by either having them never happen or killing them all. I understand it was a story about Chloe and Max but Chloe never came across as much of a likable character to me.
I actually quite like the ending, thinking about it. It's a clear choice of morality which fits with the rest of the game. Obviously the moral thing to do would be to sacrifice Chloe and save Arcadia Bay since you've seen what happens if you don't throughout the course of the game, however it's the relationship that you build up with Chloe that could cause the conflict of morality - could you really bring yourself to let your best friend be shot and killed right in front of your eyes? I know I couldn't personally.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:53 pm

yeah because chloe is trash tier.

also max had been living life without chloe anyway until they met in the parking lot, so if she just hadn't rewinded from the very beginning of the game she wouldn't have even met chloe.

to me, the decision was obvious.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:55 am

Oh my god, I just finished Episode 5 after a pretty long gameplay session so I'll post some incoherent ramblings because I can't sleep. Wow. One the best games I've ever played.

Some of the gameplay in that last episode was just extraordinary. Walking through the maze trying to avoid Jefferson and others with the spotlight. The creepy infinite corridor. And I was gooseberry fool creeped out going through the weird reverse-time school. I don't think I'm sleeping tonight.

Didn't save Kate. Got David fired because of it. Sacrificed Chloe. No regrets. Also kissed both Chloe and Warren, naughty Max.

Also best timeline is the one with the disabled Chloe. I would totally have stayed in that if I had the choice. (I didn't kill her).

Creepy Jefferson is creepy, I totally didn't expect that. Dontnod were playing with my emotions like a toy the whole time. Jefferson was totally my favourite character until I found out he was a psychopathic rapist murderer.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:40 am

row101 wrote:One the best games I've ever played.
3rd best for me personally, behind The Last of Us and Final Fantasy VII, but it's still a great place to be.
Some of the gameplay in that last episode was just extraordinary. Walking through the maze trying to avoid Jefferson and others with the spotlight. The creepy infinite corridor. And I was gooseberry fool creeped out going through the weird reverse-time school. I don't think I'm sleeping tonight.
Yeah, that whole dream sequence is just so fantastically done I can't really put it into words. Easily my favourite part of the game.
Didn't save Kate. Got David fired because of it. Sacrificed Chloe. No regrets. Also kissed both Chloe and Warren, naughty Max.
Kate was actually pretty hard to save to be honest, you had to say exactly the right things to her, which if you weren't following a guide or anything was near-impossible IMO. David gets fired if you blame him? That's the only option I've not seen, so it's interesting to know what happens. Nathan gets suspended and Jefferson gets nothing, which is strange at the time but given the story from then on it should've been obvious he was the killer from that. Couldn't bring myself to sacrifice Chloe, and I think everyone kissed her when given the opportunity. Warren though can gooseberry fool off, I friendzoned him in every timeline.
Also best timeline is the one with the disabled Chloe. I would totally have stayed in that if I had the choice. (I didn't kill her).
That's certainly one of the more interesting parts of the game, but I wasn't a fan of it personally. I was glad to see the back of it.
Creepy Jefferson is creepy, I totally didn't expect that. Dontnod were playing with my emotions like a toy the whole time. Jefferson was totally my favourite character until I found out he was a psychopathic rapist murderer.
Yup. I had the fact he shot Chloe spoiled by someone on Twitter back when Episode 4 released, but I had no clue that he was actually going to turn out to be the main villain of the game. I guess that's a testament to just how good of a game Dontnod have created here.

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:41 pm

My favourite part of the game was with disabled Chloe, as it was such a shock, but I wouldn't have wanted to stay there that's for sure!

About the dream sequence at the end, I thought it was a bit weird gameplay-wise. The only other "stealth" bit I can think of was in the swimming pool and it did seem to drag on a bit just to lengthen the episode out. I did like everything else in the dream sequence though, that's to be said.

Also, was Kate hard to save? When you visited her, she was showing signs of feeling suicidal - curtains shut, very dark room, scary drawings, extremely teary, head down... telltale signs. After that, I felt like you had to do everything to try and be nice to her (bar say go to the police, the thing she wanted, as it would make better sense in the longer run) and show most importantly that she wasn't alone.

I also friend zoned Warren every time in my first playthrough, I was trying to get with Chloe from the get-go.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Yeah, saving Kate is based solely on what you say to her on the roof, nothing aside from that matters. You can be the nicest person in the world to her, but if you gooseberry fool up on the roof then there's no chance you can save her.

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Ash wrote:Yeah, saving Kate is based solely on what you say to her on the roof, nothing aside from that matters. You can be the nicest person in the world to her, but if you gooseberry fool up on the roof then there's no chance you can save her.
No, they do affect it. Certain choices will make it easier, but yeah there are some that you will have to either work out. The family/bible one you can find out if you look round her room.

Looking back, I got the first option wrong but got the rest right (two incorrect and you have one dead Kate) so I just recovered enough.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Ash wrote:
Kate was actually pretty hard to save to be honest, you had to say exactly the right things to her, which if you weren't following a guide or anything was near-impossible IMO. David gets fired if you blame him? That's the only option I've not seen, so it's interesting to know what happens. Nathan gets suspended and Jefferson gets nothing, which is strange at the time but given the story from then on it should've been obvious he was the killer from that. Couldn't bring myself to sacrifice Chloe, and I think everyone kissed her when given the opportunity. Warren though can gooseberry fool off, I friendzoned him in every timeline.
I totally screwed over David, got him fired and sided with Chloe in the argument so he got kicked out of the house. Also I actually liked Warren's character and could probably sympathise with his role more than Max or Chloe and he became so damn alpha towards the end.
Ash wrote:
That's certainly one of the more interesting parts of the game, but I wasn't a fan of it personally. I was glad to see the back of it.
Idk, Chloe wasn't so messed up in that timeline, she wasn't happy for sure but I was pretty happy just watching them spend time together and glad that she didn't have drugs or money problems and stuff. I didn't expect Max to go back to undo the changes to be honest, I thought they'd just go with it.
Ash wrote:
Yup. I had the fact he shot Chloe spoiled by someone on Twitter back when Episode 4 released, but I had no clue that he was actually going to turn out to be the main villain of the game. I guess that's a testament to just how good of a game Dontnod have created here.
I had the opposite, someone spoiled to me that he was the main villain (only when I was midway through Ep3 though) but I didn't expect him to shoot Chloe or that the Dark Room was his. Also knew that the final choice was Bay/Bae from pretty much Ep1 because it was basically a meme but it was a pretty hard choice nonetheless even if I expected it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Ruari

Post by Ruari » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Elitist Pokeforum Scum
Hoyle: You aren’t particularly good at anything you do, but, bless you, you try.

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Mega Bump, fuc k da rules.

So, it's been confirmed that Dontnod are working on a Season 2 of the game.

It's also a PS Plus game for this month.

However, a prequel for the game has just leaked, showing a focus on Chloe & Rachel.

Here's all the images thanks to the Neogaf thread I found them on:

GuitarHero

Re: Life Is Strange - The Thread - Season 2 & Prequel?

Post by GuitarHero » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Not sure how I'd feel about a prequel, as prequels rarely turn out good. Though willing to give it a chance as they could make it pretty separate from the first season.

Also, I hope the sequel is definitely with a whole new cast as previously said, since the other story is complete and it feels concluded.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 pm

PS+ hurray!

I now have no excuse not to play this game B)

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:56 pm

LIS is certainly deserves a sequel just hope it lives up to the original.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Crash N.Sane Trilogy Top 10 games of 2017 so far Horizon
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Ash

Re: Life Is Strange - The Thread - Before The Storm

Post by Ash » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 am

Microsoft's E3 conference gave us a first look at the prequel, which we now know is called Life Is Strange: Before The Storm. Focuses on Chloe and Rachel, 3 episodes long with the 1st arriving August 31st.

Here's a dev blog about it.

Trailer:

A sorta dev-log thing:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It comes in 2 editions, Standard and Digital Deluxe. Standard is priced at £13.99, Digital Deluxe is £19.99. Both are available on PSN, XBL and Steam right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also gameplay coming tonight (12th June) at 8pm on the IGN E3 stream.

Ash

Re: Life Is Strange: Before The Storm - The Thread

Post by Ash » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 am

Small update, but it's been confirmed there's a Platinum trophy for the game!
(Idk if this had been confirmed before or not, but this is the first time I've seen about it)

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Nice to see it's getting a platinum, thought it wouldn't happen cause it's only three episodes like that mini Walking Dead series.

Is there going to be a physical version?
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Crash N.Sane Trilogy Top 10 games of 2017 so far Horizon
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:15 pm

I think it was said in the E3 panel that there's no plans currently, but they're not saying no for definite.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Only discovered this game recently thanks to PSPlus, i'm on episode 5 right now and i have absolutely loved playing it.

The prospect of a sequel therefore is something i'm really looking forward to.
ImageImage