VR

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

VR

Post by Kesskuron » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:44 am

Just curious to see how people feel about VR. With the Oculus, Vive and the PSVR it looks set to be the thing for this year, but do you see it actually lasting? Or will it be a fad? Is anyone excited for it/planning on getting one/tried one already?

Personally I'm not interested currently; I'm yet to see any actual games made for VR that I'm sold on enough to sink the money into it. I'd need to see something that was made with VR in mind that was more than just a standard first-person game glued to your face to get me considering one. It has interesting possiblities, but as it stands there's nothing I've seen in development for any of the various headsets that really excites me. But then again I feel as though VR is the kind of thing you need to experience to really appreicate rather than look at second hand by way of photos and video.

So yeah, what do people think?

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: VR

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:49 pm

I am very excited for VR, and will be jumping on with PSVR on release. At £350 it is certainly a lot more attractive than the other options.

I think a big important difference between the different VR systems and the previous generation's failed attempts at novel peripherals (like Kinect and Move) is that many of the VR games in development are multi-platform, and will be playable across several different VR devices. Obviously there are also exclusives, but this allowance of multi-platform releases should help prevent a lack of games due to a small userbase.

Funnily enough it seems like VR might actually be what is needed to complete the picture and make motion controls and motion tracking actually make sense - for example with PSVR using the PS camera and the move wands.

Sony are also making a big deal of there being 50 VR games to be released between October and the new year. That's a lot of games and gives me more belief that VR will have the software support behind it.
Kesskuron wrote:Personally I'm not interested currently; I'm yet to see any actual games made for VR that I'm sold on enough to sink the money into it. I'd need to see something that was made with VR in mind that was more than just a standard first-person game glued to your face to get me considering one.
The first time I saw some gameplay from Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes I was pretty much sold - that is a really cool use of VR, and while the game is certainly playable without it it does seem to really add to the experience. RIGS Mechanized Combat League seems like an obvious system seller - mech based combat in VR, what isn't to be excited about. Werewolves Within announced yesterday looks to be another interesting use of VR in allowing for local board-game like experiences in virtual reality. From more typical games I am looking forward to playing Star Wars Battlefront VR and the recently announced Golem looks cool.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:57 pm

I think it'll last, but after initial high sales it'll probably be a slow burn.

Sony are putting alot behind PS VR, but a lot of people are going to be sceptical of a $400 PS4 peripheral, especially when there's a really good chance that'll be launching alongside a new Nintendo console.

VR as a platform has a bright future ahead of it, the hardware that's launching this year probably doesn't have that luxury. The headsets are very reliant on technology that's rapidly advancing, PS VR is very much a flag in the ground with really no scope for Sony to launch a higher specced version for the PS 4 later. Vive and Oculus don't really have that going for them and they are pretty expensive bits of kit, I'm not too sure how their customers will react when the Rift 2 and Vive 2 appears a year later substantially improved.

Either way it looks like this Christmas season I'll seriously consider picking one up, but not until then.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:01 pm

barrybarryk wrote:The headsets are very reliant on technology that's rapidly advancing, PS VR is very much a flag in the ground with really no scope for Sony to launch a higher specced version for the PS 4 later.
In a way this can be seen as a good thing, as it prevents:
barrybarryk wrote:Vive and Oculus don't really have that going for them and they are pretty expensive bits of kit, I'm not too sure how their customers will react when the Rift 2 and Vive 2 appears a year later substantially improved.
If I know PSVR is very likely to stay as it is, at least in terms of being able to play all the games released for it, then that makes me happier to buy into it.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeah, I think it'll be a good thing for PS VR and makes me more likely to pick it up. Especially since it's considerably cheaper.

I'm not particularly concerned with having the 'best VR experience' because that's going to change every six months for the next few years, but I'll buy in to a stable supported platform.

Fieryice

Post by Fieryice » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:27 pm

I've tried the Oculus Rift at a convention, I saw the FortressCraft demo and the one where you're on a rollercoaster. It was cool but it wasn't mind blowing. Or mind frying, which was good.

I heard there was an F-Zero like racer game for VR. THAT I would want to play.

Or you know what, the next F-Zero (if and when it comes out) should have VR compatibility. It would be both glorious and terrifying.
Now with more F in my name. Not as dirty as it sounds.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:23 pm

While i can see that it's probably a pretty fun experience, VR is still a little too gimmicky for my liking.

I can imagine forking out £350 for a headset, playing a couple of games, then eventually getting bored of it and returning to more traditional modes of play.
ImageImage

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:47 pm

D.J wrote:While i can see that it's probably a pretty fun experience, VR is still a little too gimmicky for my liking.
My thoughts exactly. Its far too early to know if this is a hit and a possible/alternate route for mainstream gaming to take or if its just a phase that'll fizzle out in a few years. And I'm neither confident enough in it nor hopeful enough in it to buy one and find out. Plus, £349.99?? Not a chance.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:07 pm

it's a eton mess gimmick that is only a cool concept when you're 12 years old.

as DJ said, if I got one I'd spend maybe 1 hour messing about with it before returning to my JRPGs and Fighters.

like, I actually can't see it going anywhere until it reaches the level of nervegear which it might actually never reach. as it is now it just looks like a 30 minute time waste with a £400 price tag.

bort

Post by bort » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:42 pm

i played the oculus at a friends house about a year and a half ago (he was studying game development and got given a dev kit from his uni for one of his modules), and i wasnt convinced at first but honestly it was a whole lot of fun. even the stupid demos of stuff like dinosaurs chasing you round a city felt more immersive and, i suppose you'd call it stressful but in a fun kind of way. we tried a bunch of stuff for a few hours and at the time tf2 was supporting it and that was a lot of fun.

im not gonna drop for oculus or psvr for a long while i imagine, just because of the price tag, but honestly its probably worth it for the potential diversity in your experiences with them

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:53 pm

Not really seeing the gimmickiness to it that so many people are talking about. Maybe they're misusing the word but what I see is an early piece of kit that will very likely have a very intrinsic place in gaming in the near future, how near that future is seems debatable but it certainly seems like the next logical step towards an immersive experience. Yeah it's unrefined, yes it's likely going to have a lot of problems at launch, yes it's got that high price tag, and yes the things being offered on it right now are unsurprisingly not the most gripping of things but none of these make it a gimmick. Whether you like it or not this is in all likelihood a stepping stone in the direction gaming will very likely adopt, not some cheap trick to sell you something.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Scapegoat wrote:it's a eton mess gimmick that is only a cool concept when you're 12 years old.
If you no longer think VR is cool gooseberry fool I feel sorry for you

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:05 pm

I would definitely have to try before I buy, as its not something I've experienced before. Definitely want to give it a go at some point

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:10 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:it's a eton mess gimmick that is only a cool concept when you're 12 years old.
If you no longer think VR is cool gooseberry fool I feel sorry for you
don't be. Like I said, I'm not interested until it gets to the stage (if ever) where it becomes a completely immersive experience such as nervegear. VR was a cool concept when I was younger. Now it's here, I don't care about it. tbh there's no way you could get a fighter to work on VR, and until we reach the aforementioned pinnacle JRPG's will not work either. It'll be good for horror games primarily, I would say platformers would work well on it but tbh the thought of playing mirrors edge on an oculus already nauseates me. As such, there are no games that would interest me when VR is concerned, as such, I can't say I'm all that excited for it.

I don't like having to use SAO as an example here but it's the most obvious example.

To put things in another light, when I was younger, I thought the concept of motion control was rad as gooseberry fool, and then the Wii came along and my dreams came true, until the gimmick wore off and after a day or two it was just another method of control. When Kinect was first announced, I remember being super hyped - imagine full body control over a game! Then it came out, and again, kept me entertained for the best part of an hour before I gre bored of this new control scheme. When I was 5, if you told me that in 10 years we'd have full body motion control for games and the start of virtual reality, it would have blown my mind. Now I'm 19, I can't say anything really blows my mind.

To be honest, we're at the stage now technologically that nothing really wows me anymore. Great, tablets are invented, and I don't give a eton mess. New phones are the same old same old with added gimmicks. Smart watches are cool but they're nothing groundbreaking. I'll be wow'ed when we find the cure to cancer, or when teleportation is invented, or when we put a human on Mars. The most wow'ed I've been in a long time was when these screenshots of a mod for battlefront showed up, truly stunning graphics, however, for whatever reason VR just doesn't excite me. It just feels like more of a hassle than an improvement.

As soon as I can play Yakuza in full VR, by which I mean, nervegear like full immersion, I'll be wow'ed. Until that day, VR remains a concept that I'm not behind.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:29 am

Yeah but we need to go through this step to reach that degree of refinement. Right now you just sound like a petulant child decrying something as a gimmick just because you're not interested in it or because it's not as advanced as it'd have to be to warrant your enthusiasm. You saying you're not behind it in particular is just pretty ridiculous, this is absolutely a technology that warrants the support of the community even if not financially since guess what? If you want a nervegear type experience then this is a step that we have to go through to get to that level. Just like without the NES we wouldn't have the gaming platforms of today without the development of VR at this stage we won't have the VR of the future and I'd urge you to keep that in mind before you say that you're not behind it.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Mr.Kattykat
PSN ID: MrKattykat
Steam ID: MrKattykat

Post by Mr.Kattykat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:34 am

i mean a cure for cancer is great and all but wow have you seen these computer graphics?
i like to put trolls in their place

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:28 am

JenovaPX wrote:Yeah but we need to go through this step to reach that degree of refinement. Right now you just sound like a petulant child decrying something as a gimmick just because you're not interested in it or because it's not as advanced as it'd have to be to warrant your enthusiasm. You saying you're not behind it in particular is just pretty ridiculous, this is absolutely a technology that warrants the support of the community even if not financially since guess what? If you want a nervegear type experience then this is a step that we have to go through to get to that level. Just like without the NES we wouldn't have the gaming platforms of today without the development of VR at this stage we won't have the VR of the future and I'd urge you to keep that in mind before you say that you're not behind it.
wrong choice of words. I'm behind the development of it but I'm not on board with the actual tech right now if that makes any sense. Just doesn't interest me as simply put the genre's of games that work for it don't interest me.
Mr.Kattykat wrote:i mean a cure for cancer is great and all but wow have you seen these computer graphics?
you clearly didn't read what I said properly. Go back and read my comment before trying to make out believe that I'm more wow'ed by gooseberry fool computer graphics than a cure for cancer.

Fieryice

Post by Fieryice » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:15 am

So basically what we're saying is that it's still to early to say? Either it will be great or it won't be. We just have to wait and see as development progresses to see the direction it takes us in.

I still want to play a fast paced racing game in VR though. I don't care if I throw up afterwards, I want it to happen.
Now with more F in my name. Not as dirty as it sounds.

masofdas
PSN ID: masofdas

Post by masofdas » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:38 am

I've preordered my PSVR and I've tried 4 VR devices and quite a few things and all have been good that I'm sold on VR, it was just the cost entry as I don't have a good PC to use Vive (the best VR out there) but I do own a PS4 and £350 is far more manageable then buying a PC and Vive which is £689 on it's own.

@Fieryice look up Thumper it's going to use VR and there's also the Street Luge in the VR Worlds.
PSN, NNID, Gamertag, Steam, Twitter, Tumbler, Twitch: masofdas. YouTube: masofbiohaz. New 3DS FC 3110-7071-6098
Image Image

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I've never tried VR but it does look very interesting, I imagine for a few games it'd do a fantastic job of fully immersing you in the game world. VR could well be the next big thing for gaming, games are very immersive as they are but VR could definitely advance the medium.

D.J

Post by D.J » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:20 pm

I still remember the last time that VR was a big deal, so much so that they even made a game show using it...

ImageImage

IronHide
Steam ID: IronHide1981

Post by IronHide » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:31 pm

I have zero interest in VR, I really don't like first-person views in games as they tend to make me feel sick.

Besides that I wouldn't be able to use a VR headset anyway as I have to permanently use a headrest on my wheelchair and can't move my head very far.

I generally dislike any gaming/computing tech which increases the physical demands on the user as it prevents many disabled people from actually being able to participate.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:53 pm

To be fair, VR might be something that is included in more than games. Samsung's adverts seem to suggest that they are considering making a phone that has Virtual Reality capabilities.

Unsure on the tech myself.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:43 am

With the PlayStation one do you need to buy the PS4 camera as well?
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

D.J

Post by D.J » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:37 am

RichardUK wrote:With the PlayStation one do you need to buy the PS4 camera as well?
As far as i'm aware, yes.
ImageImage