VR

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: VR

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:38 am

Ape wrote:To be fair, VR might be something that is included in more than games. Samsung's adverts seem to suggest that they are considering making a phone that has Virtual Reality capabilities.

Unsure on the tech myself.
It's undoubtedly going to be used outside of games - I would predict VR will find more uses /outside/ of games, to be honest.

AR is already used in many applications, like in the construction of aeroplanes. I'm pretty sure I read that they had trialed using VR for remote teaching (by virtually assembling parts).

WithLoveAndSqualor
NNID: KingDanana
3DS Friend Code: 2320-6489-5789
PSN ID: KingDanana
Xbox Gamertag: King Danana
Steam ID: King_Danana

Post by WithLoveAndSqualor » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:51 pm

i'll buy the PSVR on launch but i can't see myself using it for too long, at least not for VR games, because literally none of them that have been shown interest me. if they pull out a killer app for the VR at E3 then great, but from what i've read you can use the headset to play regular games and watch films in (kinda like a little personal cinema on your FACE) so that could be fun to mess around with.

hololens will bomb though, there's no way that i can see that working, at least not in the capacity that microsoft wants you to believe it will. it'll be another kinect, full of promise but incredibly broken.
UNTOUCHABLE
HAIL TO THE KING/FM\ twit

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:56 pm

The issue with Hololens (and AR in general) is that I don't think it's a primarily gaming-based technology. Games are generally about being fully immersed into the game world, which VR offers at a new scale but AR doesn't.

Plus we have VR games being made to work across multiple VR platforms, while Hololens software will be locked to Hololens.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:57 pm

It's a gimmick that'll last a couple of years at best, and while I'd like to try it out to see what it's like, I won't be buying one as I think it's too expensive and with PSVR I'll have to also buy a PS Move and Camera, so you're talking over £400 without any games.

The games themselves look frankly like tech demos, the only title the looks interesting is the London Heist game.

I'd rather save for a NX
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

masofdas
PSN ID: masofdas

Post by masofdas » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:47 pm

It's cheap for what it is PSVR, I've tried all the VR headsets and I just don't see it as a gimmick like motion controls which were pretty naff for anything but Wii Sports.

You do need a camera which does sort of make sense why not bundled in as OR may have bought one at launch over 2 years and he doesn't need a second one.

On Move, some games will use move and work better with Move but all games will work with the DS4.

But Sony are doing a starter bundle of PSVR, camera, 2 moves and VR Worlds for $500 (I guess £450) that even buying PS4 on top it's still only going to be slightly more then the Rift but you'd think people buying the PSVR this year will be people already with a PS4.

I can see it being the big Christmas item this year VR.
PSN, NNID, Gamertag, Steam, Twitter, Tumbler, Twitch: masofdas. YouTube: masofbiohaz. New 3DS FC 3110-7071-6098
Image Image

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:43 am

I was at a design office a few weeks ago with work and had a go on that Oculus Rift thing. They had taken a laser scan of a wind farm site than modelled it in a design suite (AutoCad Plant) so it was like a really detailed 3D photo than they hooked the Oculus and an x-box controller to a laptop so you could walk around the site. This Oculus was an early version - so the commercially available one maybe improved but it was certainly bigger and clunkier than I imagined.

I think I will get a VR and I can see it being a big part of gaming in the future rather just a fad / novelty. But I don't think we'll see any much of an indication of VR potential for a while. I would imagine like lots of new technology the first one's will be a bit crap and once it's been tested by the public will be superceded by something much better within a couple of years. Even if VR games doesn't blow me away yet, it would be quite cool to watch films and stuff on it.

The PSVR at under £400 sounds worth a punt.

Edit: sod it, I want one and I'm going to pre-order one today. Which is the best, which would you get? Presently lean towards psvr??
"soylent green is people"

masofdas

Post by masofdas » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Vive is the best but it's the most expensive and I think will has the least amount of stuff in development.

I've gone for PSVR due to cost and amount of stuff in the works for it.
PSN, NNID, Gamertag, Steam, Twitter, Tumbler, Twitch: masofdas. YouTube: masofbiohaz. New 3DS FC 3110-7071-6098
Image Image

mav

Post by mav » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:30 am

The core issue for me is, VR will be isolating, one of the core threads with Nintendo is they make multiplayer games that are not.

That is part or the reason I love Nintendo games.
Nintendo ID: Mav-i-am

Can usually be found playing, Mario Maker, MK8, MH3U, Splatoon.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:32 am

That's partly true for console games, although I think there is scope for asymmetrical gameplay with VR similar to how some games (like Nintendoland) did it with the gamepad. Look at Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - that's a local multiplayer game that makes great use of VR.

Fieryice

Post by Fieryice » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:40 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:The issue with Hololens (and AR in general) is that I don't think it's a primarily gaming-based technology. Games are generally about being fully immersed into the game world, which VR offers at a new scale but AR doesn't.

Plus we have VR games being made to work across multiple VR platforms, while Hololens software will be locked to Hololens.
I think Hololens would be cool for turn based strategy games, but I can't see it working too well with other genres. Maybe RTS, but I imagine it would be tedious trying to command lots of units on an AR table.
Now with more F in my name. Not as dirty as it sounds.

masofdas

Post by masofdas » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:54 pm

On local VR multiplayer, PlayRoom VR has a game on it where the VR wearer is the godzilla like dinosaur looking down on the world where the players using the TV are the little robots trying to avoid it.

Very much NintendoLand type stuff which comes with all PSVR's along with a demo disc.

I think Hololens / AR will have more practical uses as you could imagine someone sort of studying to be a surgeon using it.
Image Image

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Fieryice wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:The issue with Hololens (and AR in general) is that I don't think it's a primarily gaming-based technology. Games are generally about being fully immersed into the game world, which VR offers at a new scale but AR doesn't.

I think Hololens would be cool for turn based strategy games, but I can't see it working too well with other genres. Maybe RTS, but I imagine it would be tedious trying to command lots of units on an AR table.
This is pretty much the only application I can think of with the Hololens that interests me, it seems like a technology that would do a decent job of laying out a grid or something and giving you a small, 3D environment to work with but beyond that there's not really much that I can think of that would utilise it brilliantly. There's just a limited number of things that I think having a real world environment/background would add to, I suppose taking inspiration from some of the pre-existing AR games something along the lines of Pokémon Go could use it as well albeit in a more restricted environment than would probably make it particularly enjoyable.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

samus_killer
NNID: samus_killer
PSN ID: samus_killer
Xbox Gamertag: SamusKiller

Post by samus_killer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:53 am

I really want to get PSVR, but I'm holding off until nearer its launch so I know what games I'll be able play on it and if I've actually got the disposable income to drop £350 on. Still, I already own a PS4 and the camera, so that's a plus.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 am

I really want VR to do well but there's nothing really appealing to me right now and, while I'll buy a mediocre album or game if I see promise and want to see what happens after some experience, £350 is a bit of a stretch.

I will also hold off, but not sure what I'm even looking for.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Fieryice

Post by Fieryice » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:43 pm

JenovaPX wrote:
Fieryice wrote:

This is pretty much the only application I can think of with the Hololens that interests me, it seems like a technology that would do a decent job of laying out a grid or something and giving you a small, 3D environment to work with but beyond that there's not really much that I can think of that would utilise it brilliantly. There's just a limited number of things that I think having a real world environment/background would add to, I suppose taking inspiration from some of the pre-existing AR games something along the lines of Pokémon Go could use it as well albeit in a more restricted environment than would probably make it particularly enjoyable.
Yup, and it's the kind of thing that I'd like to try once at a convention or something for free rather than pay 300 quid for it to do it whenever.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:16 pm

I think I will get the PSVR, I am holding off a little while though as I am going to wait for the bundle that includes the PS camera (which it needs) and the movement controllers to be announced / available for pre-order.

I will be interested to see what games become available around launch, but won't be too deterred if there isn't much of a library as more games will come out if it succeeds plus it can play all existing PS4 games and view films via a "cinematic mode" that simulates a five-meter screen.

Quite an exciting time for gamers, they've been talking about VR for years (since before the Nintendo Virtual Boy) and after I used Octimum Rift as mentioned above for a practical use outside gaming it finally seems we're taking baby steps to virtual reality being a thing.
"soylent green is people"

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:59 am

I have not read much about PSVR or seen any games but I have one on order to give it a go, I don't imagine it will be something that I will use very much but something that I am interested in trying out
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Why don't you find out more about it and see what kind of stuff is coming out on it before you spend £350?
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 pm

JenovaPX wrote:Why don't you find out more about it and see what kind of stuff is coming out on it before you spend £350?
considering that he eton mess out at least £1000 every second I don't think the usefulness of his investments matters too much to him

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 am

Does anyone who's planning on getting one imagine spending several hours one after the other playing the thing. I mean when I get the time these days I can easily plough that into a game .. but I'm not so sure I would be doing that if it was VR.

VR is a companion to something else and not able to stand alone and play everything you want. At the moment I cannot justify the purchase. Looks snazzy though ... and I bet going online in a VR game would be ultra immersive/ weird (in a cool way).
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

masofdas

Post by masofdas » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:55 pm

To me it's going to best for likes of Rigs a MP game where you will likely only play a few matches or something like a Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is a only about 4hrs long and more on the experience side.

I hear people have played EVE Valkyrie for over 5hrs in one sitting with no issues.
Image Image

Fieryice

Post by Fieryice » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Bix wrote:Does anyone who's planning on getting one imagine spending several hours one after the other playing the thing. I mean when I get the time these days I can easily plough that into a game .. but I'm not so sure I would be doing that if it was VR.

VR is a companion to something else and not able to stand alone and play everything you want. At the moment I cannot justify the purchase. Looks snazzy though ... and I bet going online in a VR game would be ultra immersive/ weird (in a cool way).
An online VR game? What if you had ping issues, lag or your brain disconnected from the server? I jest, but I imagine VR ping issues would be super weird...

I tried the Merge a couple of days ago. It's powered by a smartphone, and it was a bit pants frankly. The orientation changed by a whole 90 degrees between the start and the end of my session (which was about 5 minutes), and I was told by an official that it "was better on the swively chair", which I wasn't on, which didn't help, but it' still a problem.

Plus the screen didn't really fit the set. The Oculus took me into another world, the Merge put big black lines around the screen. The screen quality wasn't great either, I tried changing the focus but it didn't really help.

All in all the Merge isn't brilliant. It's a bit pants. Don't get one.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:26 pm

Today I tried out VR for the first time at the National Videogame Arcade in Nottingham, where they have a HTC Vive in an open space with a guy talking you through a custom made game "Unseen Diplomacy".

It was goddamn incredible my god. Absolutely amazing.

Mr.Kattykat
PSN ID: MrKattykat
Steam ID: MrKattykat

Post by Mr.Kattykat » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:09 pm

I would like very much to try VR before sinking several hundred pounds into it, but being in the land that time forgot, there are no places that demo VR at all. :(
i like to put trolls in their place

masofdas

Post by masofdas » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:30 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Today I tried out VR for the first time at the National Videogame Arcade in Nottingham, where they have a HTC Vive in an open space with a guy talking you through a custom made game "Unseen Diplomacy".

It was goddamn incredible my god. Absolutely amazing.
Now i doubt your getting a Vive, due to cost of the thing plus the rig. It is incredible on Vive but the other two aren't as good, that if you now looking at PSVR as I know you got a PS4, I would lower expectations.
Image Image