Dark Souls 3

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
HassyTheSassy

Re: Dark Souls 3

Post by HassyTheSassy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:51 pm

just killed pontiff sulyvahn and GODDAMN that's been the best boss in this game so far by a fairly huge margin

bit of a difficulty spike, too: bosses before this were either fairly tame and predictable with blind spots granting you near impunity against the bosses' moveset, or semi-scripted set piece fights similar to BoC/dragon god where you just hit designated targets to destroy body parts and deal significant damage. this guy, meanwhile............. if you don't adapt to his full moveset, you're gonna have a hard time.
:mrgreen:

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:38 pm

God gooseberry fool damn AW reminds me of one of the Bloodborne DLC bosses far too much but I loved that boss so I'm kind of okay with it.
Bucket

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:44 pm

spoilers dude
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:51 pm

komodo joe wrote:spoilers dude
i'll put a spoiler on you in a minute

like a car spoiler

sop you can go fast
Bucket

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:53 pm

i'll speed round to your house and spoil the next Dark Souls 3 boss then keep just out of your distance as you chase me down the street
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:47 am

Found a nice little bug with the AW fight, if you leave enemies alive outside the boss arena he'll aggro towards them as well as anything in the boss arena too giving some nice backstab opportunities. Also RIP all the mushrooms in the swamp, a nice little easter egg there.

Speaking of references one of the boss weapons is a pretty nice reference, I appreciate the wolf sword not mentioning him by name, just calling him the first Abyss Watcher and I like the aged and worn look of it. I feel that's a decent way to handle references like that, and it's relevant rather than the rather forced references we got with DaSII. Still so far with the lore that's been dropped and everything else that's in it this really feels so much more like a sequel to I rather than a sequel to II and I've no complaints with that.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:48 am

So, I just found Izalith, as in demons and chaos and fire and Dark Souls 1 Izalith. Will probably have a wee look around tomorrow.

Also reached the place where frostbite is finally going to get it's play. But the first place seems WAY more interesting.

Also gooseberry fool finding the pyromancer guy. gooseberry fool finding Sward to continue his quest. This is some eton mess, FromSoft.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:48 am

Invaded this guy who was already dealing with an invader. Lured him into an area with beefy enemies and just stood in the way of his escape as he fell down a pit as he rolled around in fear.

It's the little things.
Bucket

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin
Xbox Gamertag: Knight Corin
Steam ID: Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:41 pm

doing a dex playthrough for my second file
it's a shame all the interesting dex weapons are in the latter half of the game

Met

Post by Met » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Yeah, I found myself defaulting to a damn broadsword for my dex build. Finally got my Uchi to a point where scaling makes it worthwhile and switch between that and the Hollowslayer Greatsword to keep my Lucatiel set going and also because Goddamn dex-based greatswords.
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

HassyTheSassy

Post by HassyTheSassy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:47 pm

i've been usin a sharp uchi and it's been v. effective thus far but since the uchi is like one of the go-to dex weapon in souls game i do kinda wanna try s/t else now

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Got the uchi on my first visit to Firelink so that's been my main go to so far, been doing a decent job for the most part aside from against a couple of NPC invaders.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:35 pm

Just fought one of the dumbest bosses. HLW.

That's 7 now. IG, VotBR, C-RG, CS, AW, DotD, HLW. I'm thinking I've missed a path somewhere so I've been backtracking a bit and I managed to jump into two questlines I completely missed. Didn't find any new places apart from a sneakily hidden covenant that's driven someone away from the hub.

OH WELL.
Bucket

Met

Post by Met » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Yeah, I'm sure I've missed a ton of quests as the shrine is getting emptier and emptier. I think I've fully explored any side areas I could have found but there are a few enemies that I just can't work out: the wolf thing in Irithyll and the giant worm in Izalith. One I just walked the long way around like I assume you're meant to, but the other has some loot around them.

Anyway you know what everyone loved about Anor Londo? No, not the interesting lore or cool enemy designs. What people loved was navigating narrow walkways under fire from people with greatbows. Well, good to know that's back.

OH BOY, JUST WHAT I WANTED!

In other news:
I do appreciate that one silver knight staring at a painting of Gwynevere earlier in Irithyll. And this whole place is just screaming Anor Londo at me. I saw you go to AL at some point but I'm not sure if it was just this they meant or if J still have that to look forward to, like Izalith.

HassyTheSassy

Post by HassyTheSassy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:06 pm

hahahahahaha of COURSE from found a way to insert ornstein into the third installment of the DaS series. i mean, we had the original in DaS and we had old dragonslayer in DaS2. gotta add in a skeletal variant of ornstein to complete the hat-trick. i'd joked about this for months prior to the game's release and HERE WE ARE

i'm not mad tho. it was still a p. cool and fun boss. also honestly it's quite different to the previous ornstein fights anyway

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:15 pm

HassyTheSassy wrote:hahahahahaha of COURSE from found a way to insert ornstein into the third installment of the DaS series. i mean, we had the original in DaS and we had old dragonslayer in DaS2. gotta add in a skeletal variant of ornstein to complete the hat-trick. i'd joked about this for months prior to the game's release and HERE WE ARE

i'm not mad tho. it was still a p. cool and fun boss. also honestly it's quite different to the previous ornstein fights anyway
that's not him

HassyTheSassy

Post by HassyTheSassy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Pepsi Supreme wrote:
HassyTheSassy wrote:hahahahahaha of COURSE from found a way to insert ornstein into the third installment of the DaS series. i mean, we had the original in DaS and we had old dragonslayer in DaS2. gotta add in a skeletal variant of ornstein to complete the hat-trick. i'd joked about this for months prior to the game's release and HERE WE ARE

that's not him
oh i figured. lore + he wields a big ass axe and greatshield rather than a spear. i was moreso just commenting on design and all

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:53 pm

HassyTheSassy wrote:
Pepsi Supreme wrote:

that's not him
oh i figured. lore + he wields a big ass axe and greatshield rather than a spear. i was moreso just commenting on design and all
yeah it's definitely meant to be a callback, but i took it as that being the regular armour worn by dragonslaying lothric knights and that it was based on (but modified and changed in a broken telephone sort of way) ornstein's armour, as he would've been revered by them for his dragonslaying abilities

Met

Post by Met » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:08 am

God gooseberry fool damn Aldrich DEVOURER OF GODS looks awesome. Just "what if Gwyndolin got ugly. But only the snake parts. What if Gwyndolin's snake parts became slug parts"?

Also, the build up to him is perfect. I kind of knew some of it was coming but when it started properly everything was great.

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:13 am

Is it just me or is the placement of bonfires really sporadic this time around? I'll go for a long while without one and then all of a sudden there's two within a minute of each other.

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:25 am

Kesskuron wrote:Is it just me or is the placement of bonfires really sporadic this time around? I'll go for a long while without one and then all of a sudden there's two within a minute of each other.
they have a system for placing bonfires which causes that to happen a lot. one at the end of every boss room and one at the start of every area, and if the area is big, one or two/maybe one secret one inbetween, so you often get these boss room and area starting bonfires close together

HassyTheSassy

Post by HassyTheSassy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:49 pm

damn one of the optional bosses

never felt so satisfied to defeat a boss in a souls game ever

ANYWAY, at end-game now. kinda feel like i need to take a break after THAT fight, but i definitely intend to finish this game tonight at the latest. just wanna do some side-stuff i may have missed before finishing the game; exploring paths i didn't look down when initially going through an area, collecting estus shards, etc.

Met

Post by Met » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Completed Sward's questline. Feels good helping that guy out.

Then went into the area after you get the ritual basin thingy. Took a stroll through the Consumed King's Gardens, fought said King, continued on my stroll and found Firelink Shrine...again. And now I'm very confused.

I also think I triggered a bad-end state but fixed it.

Anyway, now I'm playing around in Archdragon Peak fighting Havel the goddamn Rock.

Good times

Edit: Looking at trophy numbers and what I've heard of the endings I think I'm approaching the final boss. I'll keep this file at end-game NG to be ready for DLC so I need a new character to sweep up all the other trophies and endings.

I ran dex-katana set this time. Build me an interesting character, SONM. I was thinking Luck and a hollow weapon, but you get that ember extremely late and the only sword I know of before it is basically just a dex weapon.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:47 pm

Finished off the game. Noticed something about the final boss that's kinda cool.

It's literally the box art dude. It was there the whole time and we didn't realise. Cool ass throwback to Gwyn during the fight though, music and parts of the moveset.

Gonna keep this char in NG for the DLC when it hits.
Bucket

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Nofes wrote:Finished off the game. Noticed something about the final boss that's kinda cool.

It's literally the box art dude. It was there the whole time and we didn't realise. Cool ass throwback to Gwyn during the fight though, music and parts of the moveset.

Gonna keep this char in NG for the DLC when it hits.
his death animation is also the same as gwyn's from ds1