Sonic Mania/Forces

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
beansontoast

Re: Sonic 25th games: Sonic OC's are now a thing

Post by beansontoast » Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 pm

-Those CD style hand drawn cutscenes
-Stardust speedway

ho baby

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Re: Sonic Mania/Forces

Post by DarkRula » Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 pm

Mania is looking golden. And the price is cheaper than I was expecting as well.

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:15 am

Really looking forward to this. If you'd said to mid-90's Zero that he'd one day enjoy playing Sonic games on Nintendo consoles, he'd have laughed you out of town.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Mania just looks stunning, I wish there was a physical version releasing.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Sonic Mania Trailer wrote:RUN
FLY
CLIMB
*& GLIDE
**& PUNCH TOO
Amazing. Like, even the designs are more appealing to kids imo. Why would anyone pick/play Forces over this? Forces looks so so awful, not just in comparison, just as a game. Is it me, or have all the modern sonic games got this dark tone to them now? And I don't mean like, Majora's Mask kind of dark atmosphere, or like blood or something. Just look at how boring and dull the Forces trailer looks. Like, I get it, it's edgy, the city's being destroyed right? Oh, I wonder who the villain's gonna be that could have done something so bad right? so 'epic' and 'grand' of an adventure right? No. It just looks like a brown mess. Now look at Mania. How bright and colourful it is. It exudes personality and something creative. And you get to play as Tails and Knuckles again too! In the modern sonic games, you'll be lucky if you get to play as a 2nd sonic, let alone any other character.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Well, the easiest answer is that not everyone prefers 2D games, so Forces obviously would appeal to them even with Mania being everything that Sonic should be.
Modern Sonic these days just seems confused on everything, even if the gameplay can be fun at times.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am

Honestly, I think both games look really good and will get both of them.

I like the old school 2D Sonic games, but I also like the modern Sonic games too. I'm a bit bored of the narative amongst some that there hasn't been a good Sonic game since the mega-drive, there's been plenty Adventure 2, Colours, Generations, Lost World, even the day levels of Night and Day were pretty good. I'm not that interested in customisizable Sonic - but if in Forces we just get a serviceable unofficial Generations sequel - I'd be really happy.
"soylent green is people"

NAS

Post by NAS » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:37 pm

I really enjoyed the 2D/3D hybrid design introduced in Unleashed; and after mastering several of the levels to the point of being able to maintain a near-constant speed boost, I found myself repeatedly returning to the game because it was both exhilarating and fun. Learning a level, honing your reflexes, and being able to just boost through in a clean speed run is among my favourite experiences in gaming. That is why I care about Forces.

We've also barely seen anything from it, so it's too early to write off things like art and creativity - though I don't doubt that it won't boast the same level of 'coolness' as what you see in the games of yore. They do tend to ground the modern games more, besides Colours.

Regarding Sonic Mania, it does look - and sound - amazing.

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am

Of course not writing it off, it's not even out yet, just the trailer didn't give a good impression at all.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Ready for a vocal theme?

The Cheese Strikes Back.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 pm

actually amazing, tyson hesse man

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:53 pm

This gon' be good.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 pm

mania is out on tuesday right? probably pick up a copy on wed
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Gotta feel sorry for Sega uploading that opening 5 days early. Especially considering the entire game and opening/ending got leaked and streamed in full last night for those awake and aware enough to find it.

Usually I'm not one for the spoils, especially for Sonic - but as i won't get to play this game for months considering i have no applicable console for it to be played on yet... I let it slide. And alongside the community following that Mark chap across multiple streaming sites as SEGA shut him down again and again before giving up, it was good fun.

From what I've seen so far... this game is good. Like reeeeaaaally Good. They've nailed it for classic playability, references to past games (you thought The Sonic 2 Boss in Green Hill Zone was something wait until the Chemical Plant Boss surprise, it's genius...) but overall the game it really kills it for nostalgia levels, even during the new Zones - forget Sonic 4, this is the true followup if you want to feel like you're back in the 90's again.

I'm not posting any vids/image spoils (I'm sure you guys can find 'em). But I will detail the final list of Zones (barring an obvious 'final zone' that he didn't make it too in the play through) below. So at your own risk...
Green Hill > Chemical Plant > Studiopolis > Flying Battery > Press Garden > Stardust Speedway > Hydrocity > Mirage Saloon > Oil Ocean > Lava Reef > Metallic Madness > Titanic Monarch
On a game-size scale they weren't lying when they said it was comparable to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That's for sure.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Well, it appears there's there may be more of a connection to the two games coming out this year than we all originally thought...

DO NOT press below for Mania ending spoils if you don't want to read.
The Final "True"Ending was just leaked for Sonic's Playthrough... and it very clearly indicates that this game leads directly into Sonic Forces with that final cutscene, meaning this is to be taken as a prequel as such.

There were indications from the beginning of Mania that had fans speculating/on edge because The Purple Gem Energy Source that is the main cause of ruckus in Mania makes the exact same transfer noises as Infinitie's purple cube attack/colour scheme from the Forces Trailer. Not to mention the final base on Little Planet (Titanic Monach Zone) which is a giant Engman Death Egg Robo you have to climb looks suspiciously similar to those attacking in the Forces game. But Sonic's true ending consists of him being dragged through a wormhole with the Purple Energy Gem away from Little Planet before cutting to the credits whilst Tails and Knuckles watch from a distance. (If you don't collect all the Chaos Emeralds he is simply there with his friends as little planet is released into the distance)

Well, we all wondered how/why he ended up in Forces. So...

On another note, it's great to see that Knuckles Campaign does play very much like in S3&K - and he will have his own variations and paths through levels that Sonic cannot access. Hell, Green Hill Zone Act 1 is entirely different to Sonic's Act 1 and takes place exclusively underground. This makes me happy.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:33 pm

I really hope they do a physical copy of this later on down the line.
How much is the game?
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 pm

£15.99
I should know. I'm a few pennies short on my eShop account to buy it.
Still, I'll be topping up tomorrow ready for midnight.

shy guy 64

Post by shy guy 64 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:22 pm

im really enjoying mania, really fun
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 pm

It's certainly a great game.

Ploiper
NNID: ploiper
PSN ID: ploiper

Post by Ploiper » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:11 pm

i love and adore every bit of sonic mania. loves it loves it loves it
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 pm

My one piece of criticism I have is could they not have moved going supersonic to its own separate button? I know you tapped jump twice in the old games, but it's weird that basically you can't use the drop dash / fly / glide if you have more than 50 rings. There are plenty other buttons that could have been used.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

shy guy 64

Post by shy guy 64 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:51 pm

ok i think i somehow glitched a special stage, the chaos emerald seemed to suddenly back up into me

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 pm

I think the Chemical Plant boss glitched on me. Twice in a row I beat Robotnik, he went through his loss animation, and I was dropped through the floor and killed as if I had lost instead.
das a peepo

Ploiper
NNID: ploiper
PSN ID: ploiper

Post by Ploiper » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 pm
I think the Chemical Plant boss glitched on me. Twice in a row I beat Robotnik, he went through his loss animation, and I was dropped through the floor and killed as if I had lost instead.
ive had that happen once, but only the once so far
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 pm

I managed to glitch in one of the pipes as Tails.
I was going too fast and wanted to go the other way. Skidded right into one and was still standing inside it. Moved in the direction I wanted to go, and then the pipe physics start - while I was facing the wrong way, so instead of going through the pipe I instead just roll to the right endlessly, cutting through all the stage while dropping slowly downward as well.