My PS4 won't accept disks

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

My PS4 won't accept disks

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi guys

I turned on my PS4 last night and tried to insert a game disk but it make a weird noise and wouldn't let me insert the disk, it's like there's another disk in the console but there isn't.

I've tried a few things like turning the PS4 on it's side, pulling the plug out and power surging it, launching it in safe mode and updating it and holding the eject button loads of time but no dice.

If anybody got any idea what it could be your help would be most appreciated.

This video shows what my PS4 does.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Re: My PS4 won't accept disks

Post by D.J » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:45 pm

That's very much the kind of issues i had with my white PS4. In my case it was caused by the touch sensitive eject button going wrong, and so it kept trying to eject discs even though no disc was in the console.

Am i right in thinking that your PS4 is one of the earlier models (the one in the video is) with the touch sensitive eject/power buttons?

Unfortunately, if you do then it's likely that this is the issue you have, and unfortunately, the only way to find a permanent solution is to get a new console like i had to (Sony might provide a repair service, but with this problem, even that has said to be only a temporary fix as it's a hardware issue that is potentially present in all pre 1200* series PS4 consoles).

*all post 1200 consoles have mechanical buttons as a result of sony quietly fixing the problem for all subsequent models.
ImageImage

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:33 pm

I had the same problem a while ago, restarting it can help temporarily but the problem did come back after a bit. I've pulled off the rubber buffer beneath the button on the side/bottom of the console that is against the button and haven't had the problem since so that's worth a shot and saves the hassle of sending it to Sony. Simple fix that's worth trying.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Ranger
3DS Friend Code: 2492-5370-5927

Post by Ranger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:34 pm

I have a very similar problem, my ps4 will beep and eject my disks. The power surge thing is a temporary fix and I tried tightening the screw near the disk tray. I read it might be a problem with the eject button constantly getting pressed from underneath in the rubber part.

So I raised it by putting 2 game cases underneath on either side and it has given no problems for about a month now. (Hope that was the issue)

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:53 am

I tried the raising the console thing, but in my case it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

In the end i think my PS4 was just too far gone.
ImageImage

imbusydoctorwho

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:15 pm

I opened it up at the weekend and had a look at the disk drive, and in all honesty in looks fine. One roller is higher than the other but I put a disk in and turned the manual eject screw and the game when in fine, so I think the motor of the disk drive may have gone.
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 pm

This is why slot load drives are crap. They fail, alot.

You could try disassembling and reassembling the drive mech. If it's a mechanical problem just putting it together right could clear it right up, but they're not that straight forward to rebuild. I'd also say it's more likely there's a problem getting a turn on signal to the motor than the motor dying, those things are pretty solid and tend to last. The sensor for the eject signal and disc presence on the other hand have lots of things that can go wrong.

Considering the console has lots of reported issues with those dumb buttons you should really check there first.

imbusydoctorwho

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Gonna see how the Disk Drive works when I plug power to the console, it may help me to find out what exactly is wrong with it, gotta get some smaller screwdrivers first and some of the screws are really awkward.