gAmE oF tHe YeAr 2o1sixteen

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Commandervideo

Re: gAmE oF tHe YeAr 2o1sixteen

Post by Commandervideo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:23 pm

My favourite games of the year:
1 Monster hunter generations
2 Pokemon sun/moon
3 Super meat boy
4 Mutant mudds super challenge
5 Steamworld heist
6 Star fox guard
7 Kirby planet robobot
8 Boxboy 2

Best games I bought this year that didn't come out this year:
1 Rocket league
2 Volume
3 Pac man 256

Most dissapointing games of the year:
1 Shatae half genie hero
2 Star fox zero
3 Paper mario colour splash
Last edited by Commandervideo on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:30 pm

just out of interest in what way did you find Shantae disappointing?
"soylent green is people"

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Yubel wrote:
Nofes wrote: i don't understand why you think it was focus tested when it was announced that they're changing parts of the game after feedback

feedback that would have been a result of focus testing

i think you're making a strange argument here
Is it just me or did you just contradict yourself? If they changed parts of the game after receiving feedback - feedback that came as a result of focus testing - then how can you not understand why I'd think it was focus tested when it very clearly was.
these changes were announced after feedback from people that bought the game and played it, not people who tested it

keep trying though, it's fun to watch you try to argue with me

it's like sparring with a stupid 13 year old from onm again
Bucket

Commandervideo

Post by Commandervideo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:46 pm

What was most dissapointing was the fact there was no dungeons. The dungeons are my favourite part of the shantae games. Every shantae before has had dungeons, so I don't really get why half genie hero doesn't. There was only 3 decent levels in the game out of the 6 (mermaid falls, tassel town, cape crustacean). The worst levels were the castle level which was just a bit of maze and the final level (riskys hideout) which was something even I could of designed. And all these levels were just really linear to play through and it doesn't take very long to 100% (it took me 8 hours). It's only good points is that it looks and sounds great.

And I forgot to mention in my last post my most anticipated game 2017, which is yoka laylee, hopefully it comes to the switch.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Wasn't Half Genie Hero always supposed to be more of a linear experience than other games in the series?
Bucket

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Nofes wrote:
Yubel wrote:
Nofes wrote: i don't understand why you think it was focus tested when it was announced that they're changing parts of the game after feedback

feedback that would have been a result of focus testing

i think you're making a strange argument here
Is it just me or did you just contradict yourself? If they changed parts of the game after receiving feedback - feedback that came as a result of focus testing - then how can you not understand why I'd think it was focus tested when it very clearly was.
these changes were announced after feedback from people that bought the game and played it, not people who tested it

keep trying though, it's fun to watch you try to argue with me

it's like sparring with a stupid 13 year old from onm again
All I see is someone gradually amending their initial statement. My bad for reading "feedback that would have been a result of focus testing" in the past tense I guess but your wording is mostly to blame imo.

Anyways, let's not sink to petty insults and agree to disagree...or have I been sparring with an ignorant little dweeb this whole time.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm

dweeb
only real dweebs use that word anymore

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:15 am

oh yubel
Bucket

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:56 am

Vtheyoshi wrote:dweeb
only real dweebs use that word anymore
https://youtu.be/P2IaT2Ndke4?t=10s
ImageImage

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Favourite games of 2016
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Overwatch
Doom
Battlefield 1

Most Surprising
Infinite Warfare
Titanfall 2
Federation Force

Most disappointing
Street Fighter V
Star Fox Zero
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Nofes wrote:oh yubellend
never gets old.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:21 pm

dweebel

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Commandervideo wrote:What was most dissapointing was the fact there was no dungeons. The dungeons are my favourite part of the shantae games. Every shantae before has had dungeons, so I don't really get why half genie hero doesn't. There was only 3 decent levels in the game out of the 6 (mermaid falls, tassel town, cape crustacean). The worst levels were the castle level which was just a bit of maze and the final level (riskys hideout) which was something even I could of designed. And all these levels were just really linear to play through and it doesn't take very long to 100% (it took me 8 hours). It's only good points is that it looks and sounds great.

And I forgot to mention in my last post my most anticipated game 2017, which is yoka laylee, hopefully it comes to the switch.
That's fair enough. I wasn't aware this game was part of a franchise before I got it so didn't have any expectations of this game based on previous installments (I got it because the youtube algorithm recommended it). On one hand, it is quite linear but personally as I just got it because I was charmed by the art-style and was just expecting a 2D side-scrolling platformer it actually has more substance than I expected - as well as some quite tight- platforming and clever game mechanics, it sort of has some almost RPG elements to it, with all the exploration and back-tracking it encourages you to do once you acquire certain abilities and it's quite dialogue heavy and has an interesting sense of humour.

I got this before Christmas and am in the middle of playing through - I'm enjoying it so far (though I'm upto collecting the light-shard so I've already passed the bits that you mentioned are the "decent levels", so it might all go down hill from here). But yeah I love the look and sound of the game.

Commandervideo

Post by Commandervideo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Cruizer wrote:
Commandervideo wrote:What was most dissapointing was the fact there was no dungeons. The dungeons are my favourite part of the shantae games. Every shantae before has had dungeons, so I don't really get why half genie hero doesn't. There was only 3 decent levels in the game out of the 6 (mermaid falls, tassel town, cape crustacean). The worst levels were the castle level which was just a bit of maze and the final level (riskys hideout) which was something even I could of designed. And all these levels were just really linear to play through and it doesn't take very long to 100% (it took me 8 hours). It's only good points is that it looks and sounds great.

That's fair enough. I wasn't aware this game was part of a franchise before I got it so didn't have any expectations of this game based on previous installments (I got it because the youtube algorithm recommended it). On one hand, it is quite linear but personally as I just got it because I was charmed by the art-style and was just expecting a 2D side-scrolling platformer it actually has more substance than I expected - as well as some quite tight- platforming and clever game mechanics, it sort of has some almost RPG elements to it, with all the exploration and back-tracking it encourages you to do once you acquire certain abilities and it's quite dialogue heavy and has an interesting sense of humour.

I got this before Christmas and am in the middle of playing through - I'm enjoying it so far (though I'm upto collecting the light-shard so I've already passed the bits that you mentioned are the "decent levels", so it might all go down hill from here). But yeah I love the look and sound of the game.
I personally think shantae pirates curse is the best shantae game, you should definitely try it out. You can get it for either 3DS or wii u.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks, like I say I'm enjoying this Shantae so far and I do enjoy the more challenging 2D platformers with decent dialogue in general - so I'll try priate's c*rse at some point too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh forgot we're doing most anticipated games; well I'm really looking forward to Yooka Layee, South Park, Crash Bandicoot - but in joint first place I'm going to have to say Zelda Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption.

-------------------------------------

Also I'm guessing we won't see season 2 of Telltale Batman. I love the first season and the end wrapped up the events of the first season really well but set-events in motion for season 2, so I was hoping for episode 1 of season 2 for maybe Q2/Q3 of 2017 - but had a quick glance at Telltale on The Wikipeda, they seem like a bit of a "cottage industry" with a hand-fall of very talented writers and there's often a gap of a couple of years between seasons, which isn't a bad thing but I want it now, darn-it.

Is Wolf amongst Us (or any other telltale series for that matter) worth a go, or would it feel like a bit of a steps-down after Batman? I probably won't play Walking Dead or Game of Thrones as I don't watch the series - I'm not familiar with the source material of Wolf Among Us, but I'm guessing that shouldn't be too much of a hinderance where as WD and GoT were probably intended to be played with some assumed knowledge of the series????????

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 am

I loved the wolf among us, my favourite telltale game by far is the two seasons of the walking dead, I would say you do not need any knowledge of the series at all to enjoy it, I feel the same as you about the game of thrones, I have never watched the TV series so it put me off from buying the game, I think the first episode of the game is free to download on Xbox and PlayStation so might be worth giving it as go

I really recommend the walking dead, the story with its twists and turns is really fantastic, I played a episode everyday and was excited to play the next to find out what was going to happen, I enjoyed it more than any TV programme
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Wolf Among Us is my favourite TellTale game I've played so far, had the most gripping story if I recall correctly. But as Richard says, I vaguely remember some of them having the first episodes free although that may have just been Life is Strange which isn't TellTale. But either way, would recommend Wolf Among Us which will hopefully also get a Season 2 at some point