GAME OF THE YEAR 2017

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Cruizer

GAME OF THE YEAR 2017

Post by Cruizer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 pm

So that's just about another year closer to death - post your game of the year then.

Won't bother collating or ranking the choices - lets treat this as more of a discussion thread.

Game of 2017
Mario Odyssey.
Honourable Mentions - Zelda BotW (very, very hard choice between this and Mario for my game of the year),
Crash Bandicoot Remakes.

Best Game You Beat in 2017
Zelda OoT (gooseberry fool master piece)
Honourable Mentions Paper Mario Colur Spash (Funny, charming and clever - just a eton mess combat system)
Inside (cool short and sweet creepy indie title. Very thought provoking - if you haven't heard of it look into it-it's great https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_(video_game) )

Most Disappointing Game
Yooka Layee (I so, so wanted this to be good, I looked forward to it more than Zelda. I was a bit of an apologist of this game - part of me thought "it's supposed a retro style 90s platformer - it's detractors want it to be a modern game that it isn't supposed to be", it is quite enjoyable to be fair and I would recommend giving it a go but there's a reason people go crazy for Sonic Mania and this not so much).

Games Developer / Publisher of the Year
Nintendo (Switch, open world Zelda, Snes Classic Mini - Nintendo is back)

Your Personal Gaming Achievement of 2017
I finished Zelda OoT for the first time. Wasn't particularly hard but I have been trying on and off since 2002.

The Red Dead Redemption 2 Most Anticipated Game of 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2
"soylent green is people"

Ploiper
NNID: ploiper
PSN ID: ploiper

Re: GAME OF THE YEAR 2017

Post by Ploiper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am

Game of 2017

Resident Evil 7. the first game I got this year and ultimately my fave one. decided not to include binding of Isaac afterbirth plus as it has already been out in previous years. so out of all the new games this year, Resident Evil 7 takes it.

again, probably Resident Evil 7. I beat the game, then instantly started a new file and beat it all over again. and the only game I have felt like applauding when the end credits rolled in.

Most Disappointing Game

I would say Disc Jam, had all the potential to be as big of a hit as Rocket League but there just wasn't enough in the game. it was fun an all, but theres only so much enjoyment that I can get over only being able to play online.

has to be Nintendo, just been their year.

defeating Delerium as the keeper in Binding of Isaac Afterbirth +. its pretty damn annoying to do.

The Most Anticipated Game of 2018

Red Dead Redemption 2
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Game of the Year 2017

Super Mario Odyssey. Just beats out Breath of the Wild as I had a lot more fun and enjoyment with it overall and BoTW I didn't go back to after beating.

I have beaten so many games this year it must be some kind of record. I will say Mario Odyssey unless I finish Chrono Trigger this year, in which case it may be Chrono Trigger.

Most Disappointing Game

Can't say I've been disappointed by any game that came out this year that I bought.

Best Game Developer/Publisher of the Year

Nintendo

Worst Game Developer/Publisher of the Year

EA

Your Personal Gaming Achievement of the Year

Not had many true achievements but thanks to our household now having a PS3 and a PS4 I've had access to play games that I've wanted to play for ages which was why I ended up buying Soul Calibur IV, F1 2017 and Dark Souls along with picking up Crash Team Racing on PSN. This also expanded to other consoles which saw me pick up Kingdom Hearts II and Chrono Trigger, both of which proved to be very enjoyable. I also finally make significant progress on LEGO Star Wars II after getting the game eight years ago with my PS2.

Best Video Game Music of 2017

Super Mario Odyssey - Cascade Kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey - New Donk City
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Hyrule Castle
Sonic Mania - Titanic Monarch Zone Act 1
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Counterattack

Most Anticipated Game of the 2018

Kingdom Hearts III

>.>

If that doesn't come out then probably Pokemon Switch or Insomniac's Spider-Man game. 2018 will most likely be me playing my backlog though and getting more into Dark Souls, there's also Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to get through which I started recently and never finished.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Here's my choices...

Game of the Year 2017

Assassin's Creed Origins

Runner up: Cities Skylines

Cities would have won this overall had it not been for the error which corrupted my saved data.

Most Disappointing Game

I've not had anything i would deem disappointing, mainly since i don't ever get particularly hyped up about them anyways.

UBISoft - every game i seem to play of theirs nowadays, whether it be Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, or something else, i always find myself really enjoying them.

This extraordinarily embarrassing fail, it takes a lot of skill to play a game so badly.

Far Cry 5
ImageImage

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Less legit than this thread but Game of the Year went to Zelda BotW at the Game Awards which is nice, but we'll just have to see if SONM agrees to really give this game validation.

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:48 pm

GOTY 2017

Breath of the Wild. As my most played game of 2017, having soaked up about 5 months of my year, I can't help but recognise just how much this world encapsulated me and held my attention.

Runner up - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Most Disappointing game

...not applicable for me.

Nintendo.

Between the Master Trials in BotW, obtaining platinum in TLL, 100% in Metroid: Samus Returns and now having collected most of what are considered to be the hardest moons in Mario Odyssey...I'd say Odyssey has been more consistent in giving me that sense of accomplishment in smaller but more numerous bursts.

Detroit: Become Human
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Cruizer wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 pm
but we'll just have to see if SONM agrees to really give this game validation.
I must be the only one here who hasn't played it. :lol:
ImageImage

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Breath of The Wild is easily my game of the year, Mario Odyssey probably comes a close second.

Don't think it was really going to be anything else other than BoTW for myself, was really excited for it and it delivered.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:05 am

I think 2017 is probably the best year for gaming in about a decade.
Yubel wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:48 pm
Detroit: Become Human
I've never played a David Cage game and hadn't heard of that game until you mentioned it, but it looks incredible.
Robbo-92 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:39 pm
Breath of The Wild is easily my game of the year, Mario Odyssey probably comes a close second.
Objectively Zelda is the better game and I'm well aware of it's importance - but I just preferred Mario Odyssey just a tiny bit more 'cos Mario.

After a few years in the wilderness it does feel good to be a Nintendo fan

Commandervideo

Post by Commandervideo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Best of 2017:
1 Rocket league
2 Mario kart 8 deluxe
3 Mario odyssey
4 Splatoon 2
5 Zelda: Breath of the wild
6 Snipperclips
7 Stardew valley
8 The binding of isaac afterbirth+
9 Monster hunter stories

Best game I completed this year that didn't come out this year:
Inside

Most dissapointing Game:
RiME

Personal gaming achievement:
Score of 1000 on tumbleseed

Most Anticipated game of 2018:
Hollow knight

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Game of 2017

Winner: Breath of the Wild

A very impressive feat for Nintendo, it takes the 30 year old franchise and completely changes everything. It's fresh, fun and utterly unforgettable.

Runner Up: Mario Odyssey

Probably Titanfall 2, had a lot of fun with the single player campaign and the kinetic and fast multiplayer.

Most Disappointing Game

Yooka Laylee, it looked great it the trailers and while nowhere near awful as some folk make out some of the world just lack imagination.

2017 was certainly the year Nintendo return to form and the year they got their mojo back.

Runners up have to be Bethesda for keeping the single player dream alive with some amazing single player adventures. And Ubisoft with their fun South Park game and Mario and Rabbids game.

Hard to pick one but here's a small list.
*God of War
*Monster Hunter World
* Detroit Become Human
*Pokemon Switch
*Spiderman
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Yubel

Post by Yubel » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:01 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Hard to pick one but here's a small list.
*God of War
*Monster Hunter World
* Detroit Become Human
*Pokemon Switch
*Spiderman
We're not really expecting Pokémon on Switch next year...are we?
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am

Obviously delays happen but didn't they say Pokémon for the Switch was planned to be releasing in 2018?

Yubel

Post by Yubel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:52 pm

I thought they'd only said they've pivoted development to the Switch at E3. Happy to be proven wrong by Nintendo come 2018.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:51 pm

doesn't take that long to make a hd sumo
Bucket

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 am

I'll give it a little honourable mention to Sonc Forces because someones got to.

I got this game for Christmas - it's not without it's flaws, it's certainly not the best game of 2017, it's not even this years best sonic game, but I enjoyed it [whilst it lasted] and it's probably as good as 3D sonic games get these days. Its not a long game, I've never associated longevity with value for money in Sonic games, but there was 30 levels and I wouldn't have particularly wanted anymore. There was alot to like; the 2D levels was as good as the ones in Generations, the graphics were alright, I felt like I had more control than other sonic games, it was nice having SOME Shadow in the game and the tone of the story was much more darker than other Sonic games and surprisingly they [just about] managed to pull it off.

Being able to create my own avatar fits Sonic games really well and there was loads of customerisation options - I would quite like to see this feature carried across to other installments.

Boss fights were a bit easy and dialogue was cheesy as gooseberry fool obviously, but they're never going to fix that. Game was a solid 'BetterThanAlrightIfYouLikeSonicGames / 10'.

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 am

Game of 2017

SteamWorld Dig 2. I have yet to play Breath Of The Wild, Super Mario Odyssey disappointed me, and L.A. Noire (the next best thing, to my mind) has a few niggles with the interview system (for me, at least). SWD2 was a stunning game, moving from the procedural generation of the first to designed levels with aplomb, and taking some of the sensibilities of the brilliant SteamWorld Heist with it. Great stuff.

Just wanted to say, this is a great idea, because Game Of The Year and Best Game You Played That Year are not always one and the same. Case in point: I'm going for Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the Wii U. I'd hated it when I first picked it up but it grew on me until the point where I could play the game how I'd wanted to from the beginning: invisible stealthy hacker guy for the win!

Most Disappointing Game

Super Mario Odyssey. You are rewarded for very small actions and too often for it to be as meaningful as it was in previous games. It didn't work for me. I was expecting the Earth and I got, like, North America. Or something.

Nintendo. They've kept experimenting (Breath Of The Wild, ARMS, the Switch itself) whilst being true to what they've always done.

Completing Metroid: Samus Returns with 100% of the items. I hold that game personally responsible for the ruination of the Circle Pad on my second 3DS. :evil:

That I know is for sure coming out in 2018? That'd be Dragon Quest Builders. That I hope is coming out in 2018? That'd be Pokémon Switch. ;)

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 am

Game of 2017
Hollow Knight, game is the type of game i dreamed of playing as a kid. Game is amazing goddamn

Best Game I beat in 2017
Doom 4. Like pointing and clicking on things to kill them? Play this before any other similar game, it's that damn good.

Most Disappointing Game
Super Mario Odessey. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and really well made. It just doesn't really have that much to say for itself other than it's pretty fun and really well made but feels like a bloody treadmill rather than going out and doing these cool things in these fun worlds.

Dev/Publisher of 2017
Nintendo. They're back and thank fuck for that.

Personal Gaming Achievement of 2017
I'm now gaming as a part time job with no money attached.

Most anticipated game of 2018
Whatever I play in 2018.

jawafour

Post by jawafour » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Game of 2017
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch). I have only plugged ten hours into it so far but I have really enjoyed it; it's packed with fun moments.

Best Game I beat in 2017
Sniper Elite III (PS4). I found this to be a cracking adventure and I really liked the stealth-and-snipe action. Excellent!

Most Disappointing Game
WWE 2K18 (PS4). It may not be a bad game as such but, as a newbie to the series, I am finding the controls to be really quite difficult to pick up. I want to enjoy the game but I am too lousy at it to get anywhere!

Dev/Publisher of 2017
Nintendo. I am a fan of the Wii U but they have stepped things up with the Switch launch and subsequent software releases.

Right at the end of the year I decided that I need to cut back on getting new games and just enjoy the ones that I have. I hope that I stick with this!

I don't know if it'll happen but I hope we get Animal Crossing arrive on the Switch.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Game of 2017 + Best Game I beat in 2017:
Zelda BOTW. Only a short while into the game I felt that this was maybe the best Zelda game I've ever played. My opinion on it has cooled a bit since but I'd still say it's way up there. Not without its flaws but it's a pretty magical game and quite refreshing.

Honourable mention: Metroid: Samus Returns

Most disappointing game:
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon. Guess I was silly to get my hopes up, but I was caught up by the idea that the story might be radically different in some way. This is a pretty hastily done remake, a year after the original Sun/Moon calculated to be released before the 3DS becomes irrelevant. The game progresses incredibly similarly to the originals and even makes some changes I don't agree with. It felt a bit off. Also pretty disappointed with the Ultra Recon Squad:

I guess the 'twist' in the end was that they didn't end up being bad guys since they kind of had that vibe and were teamed up with the Aether Foundation, but I wish they had been. They seemed badass at first but they amount to very little. Ultra Megalopolis, though it was highlighted in the trailers, was particularly disappointing.

Some of the extra content is good but it could have easily been DLC this time around.

Actually playing some games I guess. Been getting around to a lot of games I've been meaning to try whereas in the past I've been a bit paralysed by all the choice.

Don't even have a Switch yet but off the top of my head...maybe Animal Crossing, if it ends up coming out this year. I've tried getting back into New Leaf a few times to no avail despite liking the series. I think something fresh would rekindle my interest. Apart from that, maybe the rumoured Melee HD if it's coming this year. A smash bros trademarked logo matches that of the gamecube game, and recently Gamecube controller support was silently made available for the Switch, so it could really be happening.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 am

Game of the Year 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Most Disappointing Game

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Nintendo - bouncing back after the failure of the Wii U

Most Anticipated Games of the 2018

Fifa 19
Forza Horizon 4: Bavaria
Assassin's Creed: British Empire
Mario Kart 9
Advance Wars:Switch Edition
Railway Empire
Tropico 6
Jurassic World Evolution
State of Decay 2
Telltale Walking Dead: Season 4
Overkills The Walking Dead
The Last Of Us Part II
The Crew 2
Tennis World Tour
Call Of Duty: Falklands War
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

samus_killer
NNID: samus_killer
PSN ID: samus_killer
Xbox Gamertag: SamusKiller

Post by samus_killer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:20 am

RichardUK wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 am
Most Anticipated Games of the 2018

Mario Kart 9
Advance Wars:Switch Edition
The Last Of Us Part II
Incredibly hopeful there, has to be said.
plsplsplsplsplsplsplsplsplsplsplsplsAdvanceWarsSwitch

RichardUK

Post by RichardUK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 am

I would even settle for a port of the advance wars game, they could release they all on one cartridge "Advance Wars: Complete Collection"

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 am

RichardUK wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 am

Taking down the British Empire as a lone assassin, or being a soldier defending the Falklands against the UK would be great!
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

RichardUK

Post by RichardUK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 am

RainbowGazelle wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 am
being a soldier defending the Falklands against the UK would be great!
I'm confused? who would be defending the Falklands from the UK? The island was uninhabited apart from a period of around six years when there were a few French and Spanish soldiers living on the island, apart from that its always been British