Yubel Reviews Bound (PS4)

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Yubel Reviews Bound (PS4)

Post by Yubel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 pm

ImageImage

When I first looked into Bound, what immediately stood out to me was it's art direction. I summed it up to myself as a simple, artistic platformer that offered more depth in it's aesthetics than overall gameplay. But upon starting the game for the first time, Bound suberted my expectations by opening not with the stylistic quirks that personate the majority but by putting me in control of a pregnant woman wandering onto an empty beach in the real world. Her goal - a house situated toward the other end - became immediately apparent to me, although it's purpose remained unclear.

I started to get an idea of it's significance the more she stalled, hesitant to reach her goal for reasons unknown. Each stop along the way opens one of 8 chapters, which you can play through in any order as you flick through her scrapbook. They're short and not all that complex, though these minimalist stages are designed in such a way that caters toward speedrunning.

Basic mechanics involve jumping between platforms, shimmying across ledges, climbing ladders, walljumping and the occasional roll. Slightly less typical are parts where you cling to dangling ribbons used to bridge large gaps or progressing by taking cover against different chunks of environment to avoid being rattled by the threatening roar of an evangelical creature. There are also collectible 'fragments' sprinkled throughout; mostly floating along the main path, certain others - one cluster may sit further out on an isolated platform requiring the rarely needed long-jump for example - ensure that some care goes into your approach, albeit not very often.

The way your character moves through the world is also unique and a core element in her character. This imagined ballerina is very expressive across both her forthright leaps and bounds and subtle responses to what she comes into contact with. That freeflowing movement paired with a similarly reactionary and flexible world makes Bound a fun and interesting experience. It's short (although if you've an eye for 'gameography' then it's an attractive subject to sink more time into thanks to the intergrated photo mode) but sweet in it's vivid backdrops and emotional story.

Speaking of which, Bound's dreamlike world and character's whimsicle movement through it isn't just for show - it's all there in service of a surprisingly deep narrative. Our titular ballerina is a projection of the woman walking along the beach; the world conceived as an escape from a difficult childhood and those that inhabit it - either to destroy or aid her in saving the'kindgom' - representations of those involved in said family drama. Further understanding of this concept ends up giving you more pause for throught as to how you progress, even informing subsequent playthroughs, giving further context to certain enviromental quirks and indeed dialogue that mightv'e just passed you by initially.

Overall then, Bound is something I recommend you experience at least once as an enjoyably slick platformer and visually unique indulgance and second as a more appreciable tragedy in motion.

Bonus screens below

Just thought I'd give my thoughts on Bound in more depth. Would be pleasantly surprised to find more than 1 other person has played this.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

Shio hime

Re: Yubel Reviews Bound (PS4)

Post by Shio hime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Please learn where to use its and it's.

kkthx
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 pm

consider posting to gaaw instead, that board could use some activity :D just helping out homie, they'll be able to give you a better critique than i can

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 pm

I'm confused by your description of the creature in the game. Is it preaching?
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 am

I really need to play Bound, it looks like exactly my kind of game.

Plus I own it through PS+ now

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Shio hime wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 pm
I'm confused by your description of the creature in the game. Is it preaching?
The creature (aka the girl's father) is the opposing force throughout her journey and as I interpret it he is more of an oppressor than a physical danger. It's all just metaphorical and I only used the word evangelical because it's appearance reminded me of an Eva Unit from the Evangelion anime.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.