Why do people pretend?

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Warmij » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:14 pm

GameCube was NOT good though. It was a comparative low point for Nintendo, especially when compared with the successes of the SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS.
The reason both GameCube and Dreamcast are highly praised is because of a relatively tiny number of games which are admittedly extremely good in quality. But a platform needs more than 5/6 fantastic games to be considered good.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Regginator3 wrote:GameCube was NOT good though. It was a comparative low point for Nintendo, especially when compared with the successes of the SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS.
The reason both GameCube and Dreamcast are highly praised is because of a relatively tiny number of games which are admittedly extremely good in quality. But a platform needs more than 5/6 fantastic games to be considered good.
The buttons on the controller were really chunky and nice to press.
Don't forget that it gave Nintendo the opportunity to get the hardware R&D out of the way for the very successful Wii several years earlier than they needed.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:33 pm

GC controller is probably still my favourite controller for a console.

Dreamcast on the other hand, while very stylish and aesthetically pleasing, isn't the best pad for playing with. Much like the N64 pad (super iconic but very unwieldy)

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:59 pm

I still think the Xbox 360 controller did everything the GameCube controller did and better

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist
PSN ID: Riainjmp
Steam ID: B-Bomb

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 am

360 controller is on another level.

AdamAG

Post by AdamAG » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:45 pm

360 controller is the best controller of all time.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:51 pm

D-pad was rubbish, face buttons were very average, back triggers far too thin.

I've liked the Xbox One controller from the little I've used it much more than the Xbox/360 controller, but I still prefer PS pads.

I dislike the general trend of placing emphasis on the shoulder buttons when they are only really prominent in shooters.

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:51 pm

360 controller is alright bordering on bad

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:00 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:D-pad was rubbish, face buttons were very average, back triggers far too thin.
The D-pad made playing Dark Souls on 360 a pain in the angel delight
Such a bad D-pad

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:52 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:D-pad was rubbish, face buttons were very average, back triggers far too thin.
Basically this. I melted my D-Pad and I think it ended up being better than it was originally. The face buttons were all squidgy and the triggers were just average. Sticks and shape and aesthetic was nice though.

LuiTheMinus
NNID: Luitheminus
3DS Friend Code: 147829577922
Steam ID: Lui_theMinus

Post by LuiTheMinus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 pm

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist wrote:
Kesskuron wrote:
andymck wrote:Gamecube was not good
Leave
Stay
*eats his popcorn and shares with PacifistBoxer*
OrangeRakoon wrote:GC controller is probably still my favourite controller for a console.

Dreamcast on the other hand, while very stylish and aesthetically pleasing, isn't the best pad for playing with. Much like the N64 pad (super iconic but very unwieldy)
I think my favorite about the Dreamcast was the VMU, but that's really just all gimmick.

And as someone mentioned, the Gamecube really was just a R&D console for the Nintendo Wii. But tbf as a whole lack of 3rd party support is what killed sales on those consoles.(GCN, DC, and Wii actually, the wii stood above water because of its casual/shovelware and the amount of games parents bought for their 4-8 year old kids)

Wii U would be fine if 3rd parties actually developed for the system, but they're too focused on making games look pretty instead of making them run well on all platforms. But that blame really lays on the fact that major 3rd party devs want to release a big release game a year... so there's no time for actual debugging and such.

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:01 pm

*accepts popcorn gratefully*

AdamAG

Post by AdamAG » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote: I dislike the general trend of placing emphasis on the shoulder buttons when they are only really prominent in shooters.
You mean the most popular genre of game in this past generation?

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 pm

They're pretty important in racing games as well, especially ones closer to the simulator end of the spectrum

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 pm

AdamAG wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote: I dislike the general trend of placing emphasis on the shoulder buttons when they are only really prominent in shooters.
You mean the most popular genre of game in this past generation?
Yes
Kesskuron wrote:They're pretty important in racing games as well, especially ones closer to the simulator end of the spectrum
I often find myself switching accelerator to a face button anyway (i.e. X on a dualshock) if given the option. But yeah, I play kart and arcade racers as opposed to more sim-like games.

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:18 pm

The d-pad on the GameCube was gooseberry fool eton mess too though (seriously it was, are people not remembering how bad it was?), arguably just as bad as the 360's one. if not worse, actually, it's ridiculously tiny and doing diagonals is practically impossible

The 360's d-pad was fixed in various limited editions anyway, and the Xbox One controller fixes it entirely (though almost everything else about it is worse)

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:31 am

Exactly. Now every come over to Sony, we have cookies

Spilskinanka
Steam ID: Spilskinanka

Post by Spilskinanka » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm

The analogue stick on my 360 controller is like using arrow keys
WeAreHarbinger: who cates aobut jnvidoe ngmajesj

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I thought the Xbox 360 controller was damn uncomfortable to hold.

Dig Dug

Post by Dig Dug » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Regginator3 wrote:GameCube was NOT good though. It was a comparative low point for Nintendo, especially when compared with the successes of the SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS.
Regg, I've owned around 150 gamecube games, there are more than 6 fantastic ones.

Console vs PC is a pretty pointless debate, it had more relevance years ago when consoles where their own thing with their own unique custom software that was designed with that hardware in mind, basically every Nintendo and Sega console ever.

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 pm

150 GameCube games?

Right, and how many of them were exclusive? Yes, granted, it had third party games, and several good ones at that, but they were pretty much all found on Xbox and PS2, making it kind of an irrelevant platform.

Dig Dug

Post by Dig Dug » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:40 am

Regginator3 wrote:150 GameCube games?

Right, and how many of them were exclusive? Yes, granted, it had third party games, and several good ones at that, but they were pretty much all found on Xbox and PS2, making it kind of an irrelevant platform.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 am

Dig Dug wrote:
Regg, I've owned around 150 gamecube games, there are more than 6 fantastic ones.

Console vs PC is a pretty pointless debate, it had more relevance years ago when consoles where their own thing with their own unique custom software that was designed with that hardware in mind, basically every Nintendo and Sega console ever.
If anything the debate is more relevant now. The specs and hardware can be directly compared with relative ease, and the experience is far more comparable, with the process of setting up the console and installing games being roughly the same now.

Dig Dug

Post by Dig Dug » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 am

Thomas wrote:
Dig Dug wrote:

If anything the debate is more relevant now. The specs and hardware can be directly compared with relative ease, and the experience is far more comparable, with the process of setting up the console and installing games being roughly the same now.
The debate is pretty clear cut now though, PC's trash consoles because the PS4 and Xbox are just wannabe PC's. That's why it isn't relevant because the comparison is pretty easy to make.
Now comparing an N64 to a Windows 98 computer, now that would have made a fun little argument.

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Dig Dug wrote:
Regginator3 wrote:150 GameCube games?

It's not really moving the goalpoasts - for a product to succeed, it needs a noticeable USP. Multiplatform games are not a USP.