Why do people pretend?

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5993
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Dig Dug wrote:The debate is pretty clear cut now though, PC's trash consoles because the PS4 and Xbox are just wannabe PC's. That's why it isn't relevant because the comparison is pretty easy to make.
Now comparing an N64 to a Windows 98 computer, now that would have made a fun little argument.
Specs always come second to games though. As long as consoles continue to have exclusive games then they will continue to compete and have a debate.

Relative specs and price matter for nothing if you are a diehard Mario fan, for example, because then you are going to want a Nintendo console.

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Thomas » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:42 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Dig Dug wrote:The debate is pretty clear cut now though, PC's trash consoles because the PS4 and Xbox are just wannabe PC's. That's why it isn't relevant because the comparison is pretty easy to make.
Now comparing an N64 to a Windows 98 computer, now that would have made a fun little argument.
Specs always come second to games though. As long as consoles continue to have exclusive games then they will continue to compete and have a debate.

Relative specs and price matter for nothing if you are a diehard Mario fan, for example, because then you are going to want a Nintendo console.
Or a PC if you're willing to ignore the WiiU and 3DS while you wait for an emu.

Dig Dug
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Dig Dug » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:52 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Dig Dug wrote:The debate is pretty clear cut now though, PC's trash consoles because the PS4 and Xbox are just wannabe PC's. That's why it isn't relevant because the comparison is pretty easy to make.
Now comparing an N64 to a Windows 98 computer, now that would have made a fun little argument.
Specs always come second to games though. As long as consoles continue to have exclusive games then they will continue to compete and have a debate.

Relative specs and price matter for nothing if you are a diehard Mario fan, for example, because then you are going to want a Nintendo console.
The thing is consoles don't really have that much game leverage anymore, certainly not on the Xbone and PS4 as they are now. The PS3 has a lot of exclusives but even that was a large step backwards compared to the PS2.

User avatar
Warmij
FKA Regginator3
Posts: 1475
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Warmij » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:14 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Specs always come second to games though. As long as consoles continue to have exclusive games then they will continue to compete and have a debate.
The debates never make sense though. The sheer amount of exclusives on PC absolutely obliterates the number of exclusives on console, so it isn't a fair comparison.

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5993
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Again though the number of games don't matter if there is /a/ game or a few games that you really want to play. You can say 'there are this many exclusives on PC so get that' all you want, but if you want to play the latest Mario specifically that counts for nothing.
Thomas wrote:Or a PC if you're willing to ignore the WiiU and 3DS while you wait for an emu.
If you're happy to not pay the people who make the games and wait a while, sure. That's clearly unsustainable for everyone to do.

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Thomas » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:17 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Again though the number of games don't matter if there is /a/ game or a few games that you really want to play. You can say 'there are this many exclusives on PC so get that' all you want, but if you want to play the latest Mario specifically that counts for nothing.
Thomas wrote:Or a PC if you're willing to ignore the WiiU and 3DS while you wait for an emu.
If you're happy to not pay the people who make the games and wait a while, sure. That's clearly unsustainable for everyone to do.
You don't necessarily have to not pay them. You should really buy the game either way if you want to stay legal. I guess some emulators will read straight from the disc too if you prefer. (Edit- and you're one of the increasingly rare number of people who have a disc drive in their PC).

Genericenemy
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Genericenemy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm

I've honestly gone off exclusives since I went PC, I really see that they gooseberry fool the consumer over and are a very bad thing for the industry as a whole. These days they either cater to me on PC or they can get lost. I have no desire to support what is essentially a glorified extortion racket any more.

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5993
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Depends what kind of exclusive it is. Look at something like Tearaway and it's obvious that it is a game only ever possible as an exclusive, and it's so much better for it.

User avatar
ABoxerWhoIsPacifist
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:24 pm
PSN ID: Riainjmp
Steam ID: B-Bomb

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Shooters and sports sims are far superior on console. Console should be fine for some time.
Image

barrybarryk
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by barrybarryk » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:06 pm

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist wrote:Shooters and sports sims are far superior on console. Console should be fine for some time.
Racing games and action platformers I'd accept alongside sports sims, but shooters? A world of nope

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5993
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:59 pm

But Timesplitters 2 isn't on PC

barrybarryk
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by barrybarryk » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 pm

I try not to hold that against Timesplitters 2, but it's difficult.

Dig Dug
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Dig Dug » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:00 am

Genericenemy wrote:I've honestly gone off exclusives since I went PC, I really see that they gooseberry fool the consumer over and are a very bad thing for the industry as a whole. These days they either cater to me on PC or they can get lost. I have no desire to support what is essentially a glorified extortion racket any more.
You say that but I still think Nintendo justify it, especially with a large amount of the DS and Wii library.

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Thomas » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:43 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:But Timesplitters 2 isn't on PC
http://pcsx2.net/
https://dolphin-emu.org/

Genericenemy
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Genericenemy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:10 pm

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist wrote:Shooters and sports sims are far superior on console. Console should be fine for some time.
Mouse and keyboard is far superior for shooters, its so much better to aim. Also for sports sims you do realise you can probably just plug in a wired 360 or Xbone controller and play away?

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Thomas » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Genericenemy wrote:
ABoxerWhoIsPacifist wrote:Shooters and sports sims are far superior on console. Console should be fine for some time.
Mouse and keyboard is far superior for shooters, its so much better to aim. Also for sports sims you do realise you can probably just plug in a wired 360 or Xbone controller and play away?
I doubt he means controllers.
He probably means the fact that the console versions of FIFA and the like are generally far superior, or a generation ahead.

User avatar
JenovaPX
Posts: 6415
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:58 pm
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Genericenemy wrote:I've honestly gone off exclusives since I went PC, I really see that they gooseberry fool the consumer over and are a very bad thing for the industry as a whole. These days they either cater to me on PC or they can get lost. I have no desire to support what is essentially a glorified extortion racket any more.
No. Exclusives are absolutely necessary to the industry and thus, necessary to the consumer. They're one of the prime factors that drive people to buy specific consoles and are therefore a massive factor when it comes to promoting competition between not just Sony and MS but also individual dev studios. Console exclusivity also sees lots of money being pumped down the chain from Sony or MS whenever they buy a game for exclusivity providing a key part of studio funding. To consider it extortion is ridiculous, it's simply competitive provision of services unless you want to liverpool tart about features exclusive to iPhones vs Androids too?
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Genericenemy
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Genericenemy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:14 pm

JenovaPX wrote:
Genericenemy wrote:I've honestly gone off exclusives since I went PC, I really see that they gooseberry fool the consumer over and are a very bad thing for the industry as a whole. These days they either cater to me on PC or they can get lost. I have no desire to support what is essentially a glorified extortion racket any more.
No. Exclusives are absolutely necessary to the industry and thus, necessary to the consumer. They're one of the prime factors that drive people to buy specific consoles and are therefore a massive factor when it comes to promoting competition between not just Sony and MS but also individual dev studios. Console exclusivity also sees lots of money being pumped down the chain from Sony or MS whenever they buy a game for exclusivity providing a key part of studio funding. To consider it extortion is ridiculous, it's simply competitive provision of services unless you want to liverpool tart about features exclusive to iPhones vs Androids too?
I see them as locking the consumer out of choice and ultimately costing them more money in comparison.

User avatar
JenovaPX
Posts: 6415
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:58 pm
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Forcing the consumer to either make a choice or pay more money is just a part of every industry ever. You're not providing a decent argument here.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Genericenemy
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Genericenemy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:49 am

Well think about it, to play an exclusive title I would have to buy a new piece of hardware instead of buying it for a platform I already have. That is how it screws over the consumer, its either pay up for new hardware or you'll have to wait in some hope that an emulator comes round in around six or eight years time.

User avatar
JenovaPX
Posts: 6415
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:58 pm
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Yes. And that doesn't outweigh the many benefits for exclusivity for companies and consumers. Like I said, you have to get both or make a choice, that's always been how capitalism works, you get what you pay for. Not being able to pay for something and having to go without is just how capitalism works and isn't an issue of exclusivity 9.9 You going without something isn't you being screwed over, it's you not being able to pay enough to do what you want, do you complain that other things being too expensive screws you over too?
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

User avatar
Warmij
FKA Regginator3
Posts: 1475
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by Warmij » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:53 pm

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist wrote:Shooters and sports sims are far superior on console. Console should be fine for some time.
This is such a stupid post

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Posts: 5993
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon
Contact:

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:11 am

Yeah everyone knows shooters are best in arcades

User avatar
ミドリ
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by ミドリ » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:05 pm

PC gaming is fine and I was into it a few years ago but PC gamers are just about the most insufferable people on the planet.
あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。

User avatar
JenovaPX
Posts: 6415
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:58 pm
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Re: Why do people pretend?

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:15 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Yeah everyone knows shooters are best in arcades
But Square won't ever share Gun Slinger Stratos with us dirty foreigners </3
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests