Eurogamer drops review scores

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
jimbob555

Eurogamer drops review scores

Post by jimbob555 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:47 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... iew-scores
Starting today with our review of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Eurogamer is making the biggest change we've ever made to the way we review games. From now on, we will no longer be scoring games out of ten.

In place of scores, we'll have one-line summaries for every review, and a new recommendation system whereby some, but not all games will be considered Recommended, Essential or Avoid. As a result of these changes, we will no longer be listed on the review-aggregation site Metacritic.

We are also changing (or firming up) other areas of our reviews policy, with the intention of ensuring that we always review the same experience that you get when you buy a game. This means that we will only review from final retail versions and online games will be reviewed after they've launched.
Review sites not having review scores isn't a new thing but it's certainly an interesting step by eurogamer. I think they put some great points across saying that it's hard to give games a score in this day and age in this part of the article, bringing up the fact that 7's and 8's are to some people now thought of as "bad" scores. Plus games like the last Halo which from what I heard was a perfectly fine game but simply could not matchmake also puts the reviewer in a difficult postion. Eurogamer goes on to say on this subject:
How should we score an excellent game with severe networking issues? A flawlessly polished game with a hackneyed design? A brilliantly tuned multiplayer experience with dreadful storytelling? If you expect the score to encompass every aspect of a game, the task becomes an exercise in futility. Add an inflated understanding of the scoring scale in many quarters - whereby 7/10 and even sometimes 8/10 are construed as disappointing scores - and you have a recipe for mixed messages.
One thing worth noting is that went searching eurogamer reviews on google they will still have an out of 5 rating beside them, though eurogamer stated this was due to the importance of googles traffic.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Good/bad/average/anime?

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Re: Eurogamer drops review scores

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:19 am

Scoring systems have always been flawed for all sorts of reasons, the biggest has to be the fact that lots of people completely ignore the reviews and go with just a score which really carries very little meaning beyond just an arbitrary number that might as well just be "good"/"bad" for how people regard them.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

bort

Post by bort » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:49 pm

i think its a smart move, im not gonna lie and say that i dont just skip to the scores/overview most of the time, but since i tend to trust eurogamers judgement it gives me reason to actually pay attention to the content now. doesnt sound like a thing that other sites are gonna look into doing though which is a shame

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:54 pm

I tend to skip to the score quite a lot, but you're essentially just looking to see whether it says 'good' or 'bad'. The change then makes perfect sense, as not only will this still be possible, it will actually be easier.

xenoPB
Steam ID: xenoPB

Post by xenoPB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:43 pm

It's a great move and hopefully more websites follow; with any luck, review scores will get dropped from the industry altogether within a few years. There are some games that simply can't fall into such an arbitrary scale and the final score will always end up pissing someone off, so I'm definitely happy to see them go.
I'm Xenobladeperson btw

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Looks like videogamer.com dropped them too. I think.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Push Square also have ditched reviews scores too.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

LostNoob
NNID: LostNoob
3DS Friend Code: 4313-1610-8457
PSN ID: thatlostnoob94
Xbox Gamertag: NlinjaNidoking
Steam ID: thatlostnoob94

Post by LostNoob » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:22 pm

It's good that all these sights are dropping review scores.
Too many people just skipped the review and just looked at the score to justify their purchase, and then throw a paddy when the game doesn't get a perfect 10.

Hopefully more sights do this, especially the big ones like IGN and Gamespot, it gets pretty irritating when people liverpool tart about review scores, they don't even mean anything anymore.
Especially with IGN, they'll do the review and the score won't reflect what they've said in the review at all, it's like they just tack it on for some reason.