Yooka-Laylee

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Yooka-Laylee

Post by Jezo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:41 am

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/former-rar ... ual-succes

Read it and thank the heavens. Hyped as gooseberry fool for this.

Edit1: More details: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/0 ... ing_in_may

Edit2: Kickstarter with sample music and gameplay footage: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... rare-vival

Edit3: pre-alpha build footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=52&v=329VH0WW4_k
Last edited by Jezo on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: Former Rare staff to make spiritual successor to Banjo K

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:59 am

"there's a history of working with Nintendo so we'd naturally love to see our game on a Nintendo platform"

It's the second coming

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:45 am

I never got the hype for Banjo. But yay for those fans I guess.

Even though Rare is absolute garbage right now. How long have these guys been away from there? I see they're from the glory days but were they around when it started to sink? I'm too lazy to do my own research on this.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:52 pm

I saw this yesterday and was instantly stoked! The team so far is one of the best gene pools in game development I've seen in a long, long time (Nintendo aside) so coming across PlayTonic Games and the teaser for the spiritual Banjo successor yesterday made my whole freakin' year so far. Now, if they manage to convince a few other chaps from the old Rare days; Chris Seavour, Robin Beanlan & Martin Hollis to name a few.

And I've also just found out that Grant Kirkhope has joined the team! They could be my be favourite developer and they've not even released a game yet! I am absolutely stoked again!!

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Having loved Banjo Kazooie I will keep a watchful eye on this, I only hope they release it for the Wii U though, they sound like that's the platform they are aiming but still.

Cheeky Devlin
NNID: CheekyDevlin
PSN ID: Cheeky_Devlin
Steam ID: Cheeky Devlin

Post by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:47 pm

It's a promising start, but I urge caution. FreeRadical was made up of all the folk who did Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. They did a few Timesplitters games then disappeared up their own angel delight with Haze.

Hopefully they manage to capture that N64 3D Platformer feel though. Nothing else really managed it afterwards the N64 (Outside of the Mario games anyway).
Official GRcade Ambassador - In a good way though, not a Lethal Weapon 2 kind of a way.
Come visit us!

danbish

Post by danbish » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Hopefully they manage to capture that N64 3D Platformer feel though. Nothing else really managed it afterwards the N64 (Outside of the Mario games anyway).
True but I can't help but have a good feeling about these guys...

Cheeky Devlin

Post by Cheeky Devlin » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:20 pm

danbish wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Hopefully they manage to capture that N64 3D Platformer feel though. Nothing else really managed it afterwards the N64 (Outside of the Mario games anyway).
True but I can't help but have a good feeling about these guys...
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic as opposed to full out pessimistic on this one so we'll see how they get on.
Official GRcade Ambassador - In a good way though, not a Lethal Weapon 2 kind of a way.
Come visit us!

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:It's a promising start, but I urge caution. FreeRadical was made up of all the folk who did Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. They did a few Timesplitters games then disappeared up their own angel delight with Haze.
Your urge caution because FreeRadical went on to create the best FPS ever made in Timesplitters 2?

Haze was goddamn awful though
I think the Sly games managed it, the latest being Thieves of Time which only came out in 2013

Cheeky Devlin

Post by Cheeky Devlin » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:It's a promising start, but I urge caution. FreeRadical was made up of all the folk who did Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. They did a few Timesplitters games then disappeared up their own angel delight with Haze.
Your urge caution because FreeRadical went on to create the best FPS ever made in Timesplitters 2?

Haze was goddamn awful though
I think the Sly games managed it, the latest being Thieves of Time which only came out in 2013
Nah, I meant that Timesplitters were good but that Haze was a steaming pile of eton mess which ultimately destroyed the company (Or at least necessitated them being bought).

I will admit to not having played the Sly games, so I'll take your word that their good.
Come visit us!

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. So its a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie that won't feature either Banjo Kazooie. The picture in the link is so blurry it may as well be one of those ink blotches psychologist use for the Rorschach test, but call me crazy one of the characters in that screen shot looks a bit like Timber from Diddy Kong Racing ( www.mariowiki.com/Timber )...but maybe I'm just projecting :D

Most likely though, it will probably completely new characters.
"soylent green is people"

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:06 am

It will be completely new characters

Pineapple
NNID: Waddl.D
Steam ID: A Disaster

Post by Pineapple » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Definitely something to look forward to, hopefully it will have just as much charm as Banjo Kazooie did.

KameRule
NNID: KameRule
3DS Friend Code: 3711-7313-4406

Post by KameRule » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 pm

N64-Cruizer wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic about this. So its a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie that won't feature either Banjo Kazooie. The picture in the link is so blurry it may as well be one of those ink blotches psychologist use for the Rorschach test, but call me crazy one of the characters in that screen shot looks a bit like Timber from Diddy Kong Racing ( http://www.mariowiki.com/Timber )...but maybe I'm just projecting :D

Most likely though, it will probably completely new characters.
It's probably not too far fetched that some cameos pop up in the game.
"Mike, that computer is actually a time machine, and inside is ADOLF HITLER!"

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Met wrote:I never got the hype for Banjo. But yay for those fans I guess.
This thread has inspired me to replay the original Banjo, but I am playing it on the xbox360, which has caused me some cognitive dissonance. Whenever, I defend computer games, I say things like Final Fantasy 7, taught me to read or at least, got me to look up words I didn't recognize, which inspired me to get more into books when I was a kid. But replaying Banjo, I think its legacy for me was that it triggered my mild OCD.

I was ok collecting puzzle-pieces, that kind of thing where there was the right number of them to actually mean something was fairly standard in 3d platform/action games. But it was all the other bits and pieces which was scattered about all over the place. There's coins and things in Mario, but they didn't really get in the way, you could ignore them and progress the game. But in Banjo, the music notes opened the doors, the feathers were needed for Kazooie to fly, the voodoo skulls were for transforming Banjo etc, etc - you just spent the whole game collecting things that was so numerous and ubiquitous it was like currency in a failed state. So if I collected almost everything, but not everything it gave me actual anxiety. So I got a compulsion to collect every piddling thing in that game and I'm still a bit OCD about certain things (like if a piece of work is close to being finished but isn't finished regardless of when the deadline is that kind of give me a stress stomach ache).

For the most-part I enjoyed playing Banjo-K though. If I remember Banjo Tooie was kind of dark though. Wasn't the winch dead and skinless and wasn't Bottles killed and his grieving children were crying asking when there dad was coming back or something? Anyway I look forward to some new anxiety disorders when this new game comes out :D
"soylent green is people"

danbish

Post by danbish » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:55 am

N64-Cruizer wrote: If I remember Banjo Tooie was kind of dark though. Wasn't the winch dead and skinless and wasn't Bottles killed and his grieving children were crying asking when there dad was coming back or something? Anyway I look forward to some new anxiety disorders when this new game comes out :D
You're quite right. Gruntilda was dug up from under that rock and was a skeleton in clothes while her and her two sisters tried to take out Banjo. Bottles was killed and his ghost appeared at a couple of points throughout the game (but he was re-incarnated at the end) so move learning duties were left to his cousin JamJars. Of course it also introduced a side character that I still have a crush on to this day;

Humba Wumba

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:33 pm

They're holding a dev session at Rezzed on the 14th where they'll reveal new details on Project Ukulele

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:24 pm

So it looks like, due to the massive response they've received, that they will be taking the game to Kickstarter to let fans get more involved and get enough money to make the game as big and awesome as possible to live up to fan's expectations. Definitely a project I'd like to back if I can afford it at the time, ESPECIALLY if they can get a boxed N64 cart version too! http://www.vg247.com/2015/03/14/banjo-k ... ckstarter/

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:11 pm

If they're going to release it on Wii U I may be tempted to pledge some money, only if they release it on Wii U though!

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Why must everything be kickstarted

Saying that though I would totally pledge if it meant getting an N64 version \o/

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:31 pm

I don't even understand what they mean by a boxed N64 version, is it simply releasing it in packaging similar in style to the N64 era?

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:09 pm

So far as I know it means they release a version playable on the N64
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

danbish

Post by danbish » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:35 am

I've had PC issues the last few days and this is the first I've heard/read of their announcement. My reaction just a few moments ago.....

If/when this hits Kickstarter then I will back it, and dammit I will have an N64 cart!

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Added Nintendo Life article of Playtonic at Rezzed to first post for those who may have missed it.

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:03 pm

So happy the Rare team are back together. I first played Banjo in about 2005 and its such a big part of the kind of person I am. When I was younger my parents were divorced, but quite wealthy my dad wasn't around so I always got lots of presents and my mum felt guilty that my dad wasn't around so I got lots of presents from her too - if I done something wrong rather than being punished I seemed to get rewarded. So it I wanted something I only had to misbehave to get it. Looking back I really didn't have a bad childhood.

One day I decided I wanted a 64 with Banjo but I was told I couldn't have it until after my birthday which was about a month away.I tried misbehaving and emotional blackmail but it was no good. So for the first time ever I had to wait for something. So when my birthday finally came was it worth - YOU BET. Its one of the best games ever and I love it I feel happy just thinking about it.

I think Rare are overated though. Rare had lost it before Microsoft bought them, that's why Nintendo let it happen in the first place. The bosses at Rare made employees work crazy hours, causing the company to have an extremely high turnover rate. Nintendo were very unhappy with this instability and the ever increasing number of disgruntled ex-employees with inside knowledge about both companies, so they were happy to lose them when Microsoft made the offer. By that time almost all of the personnel from their golden age were gone, and having made so many games featuring Nintendo properties they weren't left with many valuable IPs of their own.