Rhythm Game Thread

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
Zanreo

Rhythm Game Thread

Post by Zanreo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:56 pm

So who else here loves rhythm games? Discuss all kinds of rhythm games here!

Rhythm Heaven/Paradise is a great series and I can't wait for the new 3DS release
Last edited by Zanreo on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image My webcomic, check it out

Oathkeeper
NNID: MForward56
3DS Friend Code: 3523-2118-1902
Steam ID: MForward56

Re: Rhythm Game Thread

Post by Oathkeeper » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Rhythm games are some of my favourite things to play whenever I'm bored. Theatrhythm is really good and I should probably get the sequel sometime soon. My favourite rhythm game though has to be osu! considering it has unlimited content and can also be as hard as diamonds.

Zanreo

Post by Zanreo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Osu is pretty fun, yeah, and the games they're based on have some of my favorite gameplay

I'm still hoping for a new Ouendan/EBA some day...

Troggy

Post by Troggy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 pm

My personal favourite rhythm games are ones that take the core concept of rhythm and merge it with other genres or playstyles. As a result, I'm a big fan of the Rhythm Paradise games, along with Dedede's Drum Dash and Rock Band Blitz.
I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Zanreo

Post by Zanreo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Since you mentioned "take the core concept of rhythm and merge it with other genres or playstyles", have you tried rhythm platformers like Harmoknight or Runner 2? I love those games!

In other news I'm hyped for the Project Mirai DX localization (the Vocaloid game), and planning to get the new Taiko game for Vita :D

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:17 pm

Really looking forward to V version too. It's been ages since I've played a new Taiko game.

Stupid region locking...
das a peepo

Fubz

Post by Fubz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:20 pm

The only game I've played this year has been Crypt of the NecroDancer, it's amazing it being a roguelike and having so much randomness that all the gameplay is based on skill and it is almost never that it's the game's fault for giving you bad RNG that you take even a single point of damage. Also the music's by Danny B so it's pretty jammin', and two other great soundtracks just because why not.

But aye since it's still competitive and that the game changes up each run, you can play it forever. It's also easily modifiable and got level editing. It's perfect!

when a lion sees a sleeping antelope they eat it

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Rhythm Paradise was great. Also, Karaoke in Yakuza 4 was fantastic, I've spent a lot of hours in that mini game trying to get perfects scores on all the songs. There's a part in Pure Love in Kamurocho that is really hard to get the timing down for.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Vib Ribbon. PSX Classic - Got a ton of your favourite Music CD's to hand? Then you got potentially 10's of thousands of gaming hours.

I do love me some Guitar Hero, Dancing Stage, Quondam, Elite Beat, Rhythm Heaven, Theatrhythm Curtain Call, Harmoknight too (so essentially... anything with a beat)

lmao

Post by lmao » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Sonicka wrote:Vib Ribbon. PSX Classic - Got a ton of your favourite Music CD's to hand? Then you got potentially 10's of thousands of gaming hours.
I've got the game, longevity in theory, however the only CD I can find at the moment is Victory For The Comic Muse by The Divine Comedy. While it's a great album, it doesn't lend itself to Vib Ribbon at all.

My digital collection is much bigger however so I can play Audiosurf forever.

Chocolate-Milk

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:18 pm

God, I'd love a digital version of Vib Ribbon. I only own like five CDs and three of them are Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.
das a peepo

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:54 am

Turns out the PSN release still requires CDs, which makes the Vita version almost useless. That's upsetting :(

Meowmix
NNID: Parablegreg
Xbox Gamertag: Parablegreg

Post by Meowmix » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Wait there's a new Rhythm heaven/tengoku/whatever game on 3ds? WHEN?

Zanreo

Post by Zanreo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:44 pm

It's already out in Japan, no release date for the West yet but I just know we're getting it later
Either way it will take a long time because these games always take forever to localize

lmao

Post by lmao » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:23 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Turns out the PSN release still requires CDs, which makes the Vita version almost useless. That's upsetting :(
Why the hell did they release it for Vita then? Was it just a default thing where if it's on PSN it can be played on any sony console?

Chocolate-Milk

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Zanreo wrote:It's already out in Japan, no release date for the West yet but I just know we're getting it later
Either way it will take a long time because these games always take forever to localize
Which is really quite impressive, given how little text there is in them.
lmao wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:Turns out the PSN release still requires CDs, which makes the Vita version almost useless. That's upsetting :(
Why the hell did they release it for Vita then? Was it just a default thing where if it's on PSN it can be played on any sony console?
afaik it's just a PSOne Classic not a new port, so it works on all platforms as is the standard.
das a peepo

Troggy

Post by Troggy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Zanreo wrote:It's already out in Japan, no release date for the West yet but I just know we're getting it later
Which is really quite impressive, given how little text there is in them.
Well, Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise had one of it's games flat-out replaced, as it was entirely based on Japanese manzai comedy. They changed it to a dull stick figure metronome game for the western release. That probably makes up the bulk of the localisation time.
I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Zanreo

Post by Zanreo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:04 am

Been playing Taiko V for the last days and it's pretty great :D

Not sure if I'm gonna ever get the "clear 25 songs on Oni" trophy though, even with a mode where you can replay the same song for an extra medal I've only beaten 2 so far and can barely see myself beating most of the others - and the ones with reasonable notecharts leave too little room for any missed notes. BUT I CAN TRY