Games That Hold Special Memories

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Games That Hold Special Memories

Post by RichardUK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 am

I was looking at my games last night (current gen) and realized a lot of them i have either never played or only played for around a hour and then they have gone back on the self, and was thinking about all the hours i have spend on games in the past and if it was simply because i was younger ?, or the games were better back then ? or i picked games more carefully ?

Anyway what games hold special memories for you ?, here are mine in no particular order

Super Mario Kart (SNES) i chose this game becouse it was the first game i remember playing with a adult (my then brother in law - Phil) and i used to say at Phil and my sisters house every weekend and loved playing on the snes with him, mario kart, super mario and a tennis game were my favourites, i never seemed to get board with mario kart we would play it for hours

Command & Conquer Generals (PC) me and 2 or 3 mates would play this every single Thursday, i bought a good (at the time) laptop specifically to play this, the battles we had were fantastic and went on for ages with no one backing down, the rest of the week id spend training and preparing for Thursday !!

Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast) when this game came out i was in hospital after getting ran over on the 14th of Feb 2000 so i couldnt play it straight away but kept looking at the case and reading about it in my Dreamcast magazines, when i was finally able to play it, it blew me away with just how fun it was, one of my friends would come over and we would take it in turns and also play the mini games and beating each others scores, another game that was great for the mini games was super monkey ball, the flying levels where you had to land on the score things

Shenmue (Dreamcast) doesnt really need explaining if you have played it but my reason is that up until this game id never of completed a game, i was more into arcade, sport, racing games and any game like this id normally get stuck or get board and give up, this game kept me entertained to the very end

Walking Dead 1&2 (Xbox One) i chose this game because it was the first and only game that the story got me completely hooked and all day id look forward to playing another episode to find out what is going to happen, there were moments in the game and story that i found better than any film or tv series,

Fifa 98 (Playstation) there have obviously been loads of Fifas and i have had them all or at least most of them, but this one stands out for memories of having massive tournaments with friends

there are more games that i can think of but i think my post would be a little to long and boring if i kept going on and on !!
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Re: Games That Hold Special Memories

Post by Bix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 am

This may be best suited to the retro section ..

I have many games that trigger many happy memories:

Sensible World of Soccer [Amiga] - way more than 12 hour sessions (several times) and thousands of hours of spare time in my youth with my local pals. Gone are the days that 3 or 4 friends can spend 12 hours or more playing and taking it turns to make food etc .. that aint happening ever again for me anyway and I'm not sure it'll happen in my son's generation either (they cannot sit still for long enough!)

Fort Apocalypse [Atari 800XL] - my earliest memory of completing a game and taking it in turns with my brother without actual fisticuffs and jibes all the time.

Kick Off - [Amiga] round a distant and old best friends house, creating brilliant kits for our teams .. and scoring and recording insane wonder goals.

Donkey Kong Country - [SNES] obsession with Platformers had properly begun .. I enjoyed Mario but this was something else entirely and DK felt so natural to control. My most memorable SNES game without a doubt, not my best though.

A bad memory ? - I won't forget Gran Turismo 3 A Spec - [PS2] - I spent ages earning money and suping up a Gold Toyota Yaris .. this thing flew .. gold alloys, finely tuned engine it was a veritable lump of solid gold with a jet engine. My wife lent our nephew A spec for a weekend. What happened? when my game returned with its memory card all my vehicles had been sold (including the pocket rocket) and replaced with a standard AC Cobra :o .. The feeling of annoyance at the time !.. I couldn't bring myself to play it again and haven't done since.
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Digimon World: All time favourite game, one of my first games ever, I can still go back and play it to this day, I've played it at least 50 times through by now and still not 100% it. The monochrome shop and gear savannah in particular have some fantastic memories tied to it, memories of me collecting the cards and doing the work in the Monochrome Shop. The music in this game is superb and I will never tire of hearing it.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon: Great memories of playing this with my dad when I was younger, we ended up finishing it 100% together and I used to love taking it in turns with him even though he was by far better than me.

Dr Robotnic's Mean Bean Machine: Again, used to watch my dad play this when I was younger. He didn't really like the game, but he knew I loved it so he tried his best to play through the levels as much as possible. It ended up giving him headaches, but he still continued to play it for me.

Toca Tour Racing: Again, watching my dad play this was really fun. He was good at this game as well, he knew all the shortcuts and the best routes to take.

Rugrats in Paris: Got this when I was about 6 or 7, and played the eton mess out of it. I managed to 100% this by myself, I used to play it with my brother.

Smash bros Melee: Used to play this a lot with my brother and cousins when I was young. Can't believe how long it's been since those days.

Pikmin 2: Played through it with my brother. I miss the days when we would play games like this together, now I just play on my PC and he plays on his Xbox One :/

Pokemon Ruby: My first proper Pokemon Game, I maxed out the clock on this when I was younger and I still remember the moments when I would see a rare Pokemon, such as a Slakoth or a Torkoal. This is the game that got me fully invested in Pokemon, the music, the monsters, the game was fantastic. Took me ages to complete as it was my first real strategy based game, and I still remember the joy I felt when I beat the twins for the first time, and the memory of me defeating Drake for the first time, and then the realisation that there was one more fight, feels like yesterday.

Family Trainer: yep, a little odd but this is that party game that came with the weird mat that you used to control it. I have fond memories of playing this game with my cousins and brother, again, those times were precious and I'll never re-live them. My cousins are both 19 and 21 respectively now, so I'm pretty certain we'll never play like we used to.

Animal Crossing: Wild World: Got this game when I was in Year 4, fantastic times, I spent so long playing this game in the summer fishing for sharks. I still remember some of the eton mess that went around the playground, including the biggest load of eton mess ever, and something I actually attempted - apparently, if you spoke to Sabel every day for an entire year, on the 365th day she would ask you if you wanted to work at the shop. You would then go upstairs into the storage room and be able to instantly get any item you wanted, and you could work at the shop. You'd also get full costumes of Nintendo characters such as Link, Mario, and Olimar, trousers included. Looking back I can't believe I ever believed that myth, so much so that I actually spent a good few days skipping ahead in time, talking to Sabel, and then skipping ahead again.

This is just a select few of my memorable games. There are many more, so much more that I'd say who I am today was shaped by video games. Sounds sad, but it's probably true. They've been a huge part of my life ever since I was born.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:20 pm

I'll add to this as I think of them but right now,

Mario 64 because it was one of the first games I completed. As an inexperienced gamer at the time, it took me ages and when you completed it, it showed clips from all the levels over the closing credits. I recently completed it again and then when those credits with the highlights came up on the screen I remembered that sense of accomplishment I got as a little kid. This was the game that would later turn me into a gamer, and still gives me a little lump in my throat when I play it.

Captain Toad - I spent Chrismas with my then girlfriends family. I played that game whilst drinking wine as my girlfriends mum prepared the table and there was chrismas music playing in the background and remember feeling just very happy and content. Captain Toad is just such a happy up-beat lovely game and is pretty much the perfect game to play to get you in the festive mood. Also my girlfriend really enjoyed watching it because its a game that's as nice to watch as it is to play. I think Captain Toad will become part of my festive tradition - playing it just brings back happy memories.
"soylent green is people"

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Sonic The Hedgehog

My first ever console game, i still remember opening the Megadrive sized parcel on Christmas Day to find it also contained both Sonic games, and a Mega Games compilation cartridge.

Final Fantasy VII

The first time i ever shed a tear when playing a video game, yes i admit it, i blubbed when that moment happened.

Shenmue

During one of the toughest times of my life (Dec 2000), i had Shenmue to help me take my mind off things, wonderful game.
ImageImage

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist
PSN ID: Riainjmp
Steam ID: B-Bomb

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:44 am

Mario Kart DS
In primary school, the excitement for the last day of the year was fueled by one evEnt; the mass playing of Mario Kart DS. Everyone would be huddled into groups of eight and the games would begin. In 6th class we even started putting money on it. I made 15 euro that day.

RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Ghost's N Goblins I used to go to the local chippy most evenings to find most of my friends huddled around this one arcade game and watching the best player get super far then trying to beat him when my turn came. Must of spent a crazy amount of time in that chippy. Game and food all in one place lol

Space Invaders The first arcade game I played I think back in the day 10p a pop, loved it!!

Street Fighter Not sure what one but again would watch school friends doing some special moves on the arcade machine then try to pull them off myself
Nintendo = Style And Quality Over Quantity

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - MEGA DRIVE
Not my first Sonic, but locking on Pts 1 & 2 and eventually finishing this epic in one go at a young age with all 14 Emeralds will forever be etched into my mind.

Pokemon Yellow & Pokemon Silver - GAMEBOY
Special for holding my attention of every hour after every school day. I think Yellow is still the only Pokemon I managed to catch/obtain all 151 pokeman's. Silver was the icing on the cake a few years later, especially getting to return to the Kanto region. *Nostalgia*

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2/3 - PLAYSTATION
Back in the day when Tony Hawk was simpler, easier and the craze of sports titles. Special because I used to compete in 2 minute runs to get EVERYTHING against my mate after school everyday.

Mario Kart 64 - NINTENDO 64
I never owned an N64, so it was just glorious to play this Kart Racer round other peoples houses...

Crash Team Racing - PLAYSTATION
...But I had this beast. Which I actually think is better. Not mention has a robust Single Player Campaign which was a rarity for racing games of that time.

Final Fantasy VIII - PLAYSTATION
Everyone goes on about VII, but I loved all the teenage melodrama of VIII, which reduced me to tears multiple times. plus it was a real stunner for it's time. Square were causing a stir with their FMV sequences. And it was my first FF game as well which is probably why i hold it to high regard.

Sonic Adventure 2 - DREAMCAST
I don't know if it was the cheesy storyline, the arcade style of play or banging my head along to Crush 40 - but this game hooked me for well over 70 hours (incl multiplayer)

Super Smash Bros Melee - GAMECUBE
I've never had as much fun sitting round a screen playing tournaments against friends on this game as I have with the sequels. So much fun.

The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker - GAMECUBE
Just because it was my first proper 3D Zelda. Such a highlight with it's toon-shading. Really drew me into the world, i LOVED crossing the great Sea. And I remember this game for it introducing me into the series properly (plus it came with the bonus Ocarina Disk on Gamecube) so win.

Skies of Arcadia Legends - GAMECUBE
Memorable for me because of the scope, not to mention that final freaking string of bosses took me hours to complete. I should never have started at 8pm to finish it. Because trying to tell your mum you can't save and begging a stay up until the early hours of the morning was nearly the death of me.

Super Mario Galaxy - WII
Just because this was a magical instalment. I remember once coming home from Uni drinking wine and relaxing into the late hours of the night flying around the cosmos in this wonder. I always get tingles when certain themes are played for certain galaxies.

Zanreo

Post by Zanreo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:27 am

Pokémon Crystal
This was my first (real) game, and what got me into gaming. A few minutes into the game, I thought "man, games are awesome" and it just continued from there. I also remember playing Pokémon a lot with a friend, battling and trading exclusives (she had Silver and Gold), I still remember the summer vacation where we'd visit each other almost every day to play Pokémon. Still got the cart, though the battery died some years ago... Should replace it some day.

Warioware: Mega Microgames
And this is the game that made me think "man, games are weird. And still awesome." Got this as a kid and loved it. Still do.

Pokémon Trading Card Game
Actually my brother's game, but I borrowed it a lot (and recently got it for VC to replay it). Imakuni is my favorite Pokémon.

Animal Crossing: Wild World
My first Animal Crossing game, and had some great times. I got it just a few days before New Years and spent some of my first days in the game watching the in-game fireworks. So much to do in this game, and I really liked watching the changing seasons, finding new bugs and fish each month and making sure to get the ones that would disappear next month in time... Trying (and failing, and giving up) to get a "perfect" town... Watching neighbors come and go... Only "issue" was online play - I'd love to play online with others, but DS Wi-Fi only supported WEP connections, and we used WPA. I also knew the final shop upgrade could only be gained if you got someone from another town to buy stuff from your shop... so I made my dad swap the connection type temporarily for this.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I spent a lot of time in this unlocking stuff, battling, collecting and having fun... lots of great times spent with this game. Also the first game where I played online with friends.

Splatoon
hell yes.

Probably some more but those are what I remember now

As for the first part of OPs post, I did indeed spend a lot more time on each game as a kid, but I suspect this has something to do with not only having more free time, but also having fewer games and not that much of my own money to buy more games. I had to do with what I had, playing the games I already owned for hours and hours, only getting more on birthdays and Christmas and after saving up my allowance for months. During the past years, I've had much more money... so more of it went into games, resulting in an ever-growing backlog and less time spent on each game because I got so many games to play and gotta move on to the next one already!
Last edited by Zanreo on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image My webcomic, check it out

Blaxel411
NNID: Black-wolf209
3DS Friend Code: 4811-7239-6713
Xbox Gamertag: Not on my life

Post by Blaxel411 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Pokemon Platinum/blue rescue team-
My first pokemon games, and the games that marked my entry into the world of gaming. I was 11 at the time, and the feeling of going on such a great adventure, complemented with the pokemon themselves cemented my love of the series. Even till this day, I gaurd my original team in platinum like my children. Sadly blue rescue team didn't have that much replayability, but I reignite my love for it every time a new mystery dungeon is released.

Fifa(series)
Although I've lost interest in the sport, the Fifa games always made for a good night of competition and banter in my household. My uncle still buys all the games, and I still partake on occasion, even though I'm not a fan of the yearly releases.

I think we can all agree that i`m a great asset to the human race.