Games you'd like to see remade

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
Kriken
FKA liberal

Games you'd like to see remade

Post by Kriken » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:08 am

Simple.

I want:

1.) Super Smash Bros. Melee - A HD remake with an online mode but with no changes to the game mechanics. A graphical overhaul beyond simply making it HD would be nice, too, but it's more important to me that they keep the game mechanics intact. Using the PAL version as the basis since the characters are generally more balanced than in the American NTSC version.

2.) Metroid II: Return of Samus - Given the Zero Mission treatment, except even better given the 3DSs capabilities. I'd want some really lush backgrounds. 2.5D maybe?

3.) Ocarina of Time - I know it was already remade for the 3DS, and it was a very good remake, but I'm greedy and I love this game. I want it on the big screen with an even more impressive graphical overhaul. Maybe some new dungeons this time as well? I really liked the extra worlds and stars in Super Mario 64 DS. I also liked how you could play as different characters in that game, so maybe they could let you play as someone else in Ocarina - maybe have some Sheik sections in the game, or have a Sheik segment after you pull the Master Sword from the pedestal and travel through time to cover some of the events in the intervening 7 years (without spoiling the spoiler, of course). Imagine how cool that would be, especially if you hadn't played Ocarina before - you'd wondering what happened to Link and who the person is you're suddenly in control of. When the segment ends after you complete it after say a couple of hours, you're then brought back to Link, now an adult.

4.) Metroid Prime Hunters - My primary reason is that the multiplayer mode was such a blast, had a surprising amount of depth to it and had some pretty cool maps. Would absolutely love to see it recreated on the Wii U. Hunters also had a singleplayer mode that was alright. One of my main criticisms of it is that the boss battles lack variety - apart from the last boss, there are basically two bosses repeated throughout the whole game with only slight variations. Replace these with new designs or some iconic bosses from the rest of the series like Ridley and, I don't know, maybe even Dark Samus so it actually ties the game to the Prime storyline. Also, glitches were also a bit of an issue - especially when it came to the multiplayer because it allowed for some pretty broken techniques. These days however, things can be patched. Out of all these game, Hunters is probably the least likely to be remade. I'd at least like a Hunters-style multiplayer to be once more a part of a Metroid game.

weakboson

Re: Games you'd like to see remade

Post by weakboson » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:03 am

I kind of agree with Metroid II. It's definitely an under appreciated game. But the thing is it does actually hold up really well in its current form - it's much closer to Super Metroid than the original in that respect. To give it the complete Zero Mission treatment could detract a little. The fact that you have to navigate the game with no map based on what different grey tiles look like is in part where the game's tension and atmosphere comes from. All in all it's a unique entry in the series and you wouldn't want to lose that by making it more like the others.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:25 am

I guess so.

I just remembered I still have a copy of the game, on my 3DS. Put it on. No idea where I am, where I've been and where I should start looking for Metroids. Going to have to start it again, but I think I'll try to complete it again if I don't forget about it again because I'm playing a few games at the moment. Playing it reminded me of a time where I only had a few games and no internet or anything to look stuff up on if I got really stuck - meant I made the most of them. Good times.

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:12 pm

I'd love a Sonic Battle remake, as I loved that game as a kid. I went back to it a year or two ago and still found it a blast to play.
I mean either on a handheld or console would work, they could make more variety/characters (though with the character list in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, maybe not...) and moves too

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:19 pm

GuitarHero wrote:they could make more variety/characters (though with the character list in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, maybe not...)
Are you saying you don't want to knock the eton mess out of Charmy Bee with Bean the Dynamite?
das a peepo

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:they could make more variety/characters (though with the character list in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, maybe not...)
Are you saying you don't want to knock the eton mess out of Charmy Bee with Bean the Dynamite?
It says a lot about the Sonic series that I had to look up Bean, and man, that is obscure! Though beating the eton mess out of Big the Cat with anyone (maybe even Froggy for true retribution) does appeal ;)

Bleachyleachy

Post by Bleachyleachy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:11 pm

A good remake is one that takes a diamond in the rough and transforms it into an outstanding game. Example, Resident Evil. A classic, incredibly cheesy, mechanically messy game let down by the limits of the PS1. Enter the GC remake, terrifying atmosphere, better production etc.

With that said, I nominate Ty the Tasmanian Tiger for remake. Housemate and I played it together for nostalgia's sake on an emulator recently. Good fun, but boy are there things that hold it back. Too easy, floaty platforming that requires (at times) insane precision, redundant boomerangs that have little to no use in game, lack of variety in enemies, unimaginative bosses, unsatisfactory rewards (after finding the well hidden 25 rainbow scales you get... A bigger life bar. In an already fairly unchallenging game)

We both love it for what it is, but a total ground up remake with those problems fixed would take it to the greats

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:01 am

Shenmue needs to be remade at some point, unfortunately though, i don't see that ever happening.
ImageImage

IronHide
Steam ID: IronHide1981

Post by IronHide » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 pm

weakboson wrote:I kind of agree with Metroid II. It's definitely an under appreciated game. But the thing is it does actually hold up really well in its current form - it's much closer to Super Metroid than the original in that respect. To give it the complete Zero Mission treatment could detract a little. The fact that you have to navigate the game with no map based on what different grey tiles look like is in part where the game's tension and atmosphere comes from. All in all it's a unique entry in the series and you wouldn't want to lose that by making it more like the others.
Metroid II was brilliant but the lack of a in-game map made it unbeatable to 12 year old me.

I'd love to see remakes of:

Space Harrier
Phantasy Star IV
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Scud Race
Galaxian (in a similar way to the DS/PSP Space Invaders)
Ridge Racer Type 4

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Panzer Dragoon Saga, primarily because so few people had a chance to play it the first time around. Suposedly there were only ever something like 20,000 copies released in the west right at the very end of the Sega Saturn's life, so barely anyone ever got to try it. Couple that with the fact that the source code has been lost & that the last true Panzer Dragoon game (Orta on the original XBox) came out about 12 years ago and it more than deserves a remake. Plus given that it was from the 90s it'd benefit massively from the facelift. It's still stylistically one of the most distinct games I've ever played at all levels; the architecture, technology, biology etc; nothing else in any game really has the look of PDS. Giving it a lick of HD paint would make it look absolutely stunning.

Also you have your own laser-firing, armoured, transforming dragon, why would you not want to play it

Part of me wants to see it remade so much that I've considered whether or not it'd be feasible to somehow get it remade myself, but I have no idea how to even go about doing such a thing. Maybe if I win the lottery one day I'll bankroll it

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:39 pm

They already have those assets from Sonic and All-stars Racing Transformed, so they're practically halfway there right?

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Digimon World (PSX).

Translation was poor and the graphics were very dated, would love to see it get a remake at some point. Very unlikely but one can hope.

Persona 3. We don't have a definitive version of it unfortunately. Would love for them to slap all of the features from FES (including the answer) and all of the features from P3P, roll it all into a Vita game. Would be perfect. As it stands, if I want to play as Minako, I have to sacrifice my overworld, which stinks.

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:54 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:They already have those assets from Sonic and All-stars Racing Transformed, so they're practically halfway there right?
Not even close

That track had stuff from Panzer Dragoon, i.e. the first game in the series, rather than stuff from PDS. Also PD was a rail-shooter whereas PDS was an RPG, so there was simply more stuff in PDS than there was in PD.

There's actually a few things from the Saturn that I'd like to see remade now that I think about it (Nights got an HD remake which was really nice to see, and it was a good update to boot). Shining Force 3 is a great example. It's an awesome fire-emblem-esque tactical RPG that was supposed to be spread over 3 games; they'd all cover the same story but from the perspectives of three different characters, with all the stories interlinking and crossing over one another. Unfortunately only one of the scenarios ever got released in the west (due to the saturn dying on its angel delight), so I've only ever gotten a 1/3rd of the story. Sadly now the license seems to have degenerated into little more than yet another anime-styled Japaon-only RPG series, so there's basically no chance of it ever coming back it would seem, let alone getting a remake.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Id like to see a remake of Actraiser, it was an awesome game with its half god game half hack and slash, it only got one sequel and that dropped the ball by being a pure hack and slash game, seriously do an XCOM remake it and if it does well then do a new sequel thats not a remake of the second one but a new number 2..

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:35 pm

I always felt like Dark Cloud/Dark Chronicle were almost spiritual successors to Actraiser. But I agree - it's one of the few games I own on Wii's virtual console.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:41 pm

Yeah they are kind of in that vibe... I showed my daughter Dark Cloud the other day and she basically said it was 'like a zelda game with a bit of pokemon mystery dungeon and a pinch of sim city'' Have to admit I can see what she means.

I was going to say School Daze from the spectrum needs remaking but I guess Bully is kind of on those lines.

Psychopath

Post by Psychopath » Sat May 07, 2016 9:28 pm

My retro favourite game of all time, Gotcha Force~

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Thu May 26, 2016 1:20 am

I want Virtual Boy Wario Land remade or at least ported to VC. Goes for all the games really.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Thu May 26, 2016 9:01 am

D.J wrote:Shenmue needs to be remade at some point, unfortunately though, i don't see that ever happening.
I believe they are trying but there a few legal issues,

I would love Command and Conquer Generals, it is maybe my most played game ever and would like to play it again
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Played a bit of a fan remake of Metroid 2 (AMR2) and from what I've played it/heard it seems very impressive.