What each system reminds me of

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
kerr9000

What each system reminds me of

Post by kerr9000 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Retro gaming the very concept means different things to different people, it's all about nostalgia and what your nostalgic for, what the computer or console and its games mean to you, what you associate with them.
I can take just about any machine and give you a story about it, about what it means to me, who I was at that time, what my hopes and dreams where, the friends I was playing the games with, the music I was listening to.

The first two machines I remember having were the 48k spectrum and the old wooden Atari 2600, this was at a very early stage in my life when my dreams didn't extend much further than to be like my older brothers. The first game I remember playing on the spectrum would have been a Mister Men educational software tape, I think I was about 3 my mum would be playing Beatles tunes in the background and id just be tapping away not really sure of what I was doing. Soon however I would be growing and as I did I would be playing tank and all manner of simplistic games on the Atari with the whining loading scream of the spectrum in the background, the spectrum games were usually better but the Atari had the instant use appeal to it. In fact I felt rather spoiled as a kid because I had both, when I would visit my friends houses they would have 1 of either an Amstrad, a Spectrum or a Commodore 64 and we would have to play board games or play with transformers while the games loaded. This makes me associate these machines with long load times but also with board games and friends, so no matter how crudy the graphics may be there is still a warmth to be had from seeing them, playing them or even reading about them.

The Master System and the NES I never owned when they were current I always played them at other peoples houses and typically they didn't seem to be owned by kids my age. My first experience of the Master system was a much older cousin had one, it was an original Master system and I cant even remember the games he had , the Master System 2 though I have memories of seeing them a lot id be with one of my older brothers and he would be at a girlfriend house and that's what her or her brother would own and basically id end up playing the Master System and they would disappear obviously now I know they were at least kissing if not screwing but back then I was so absorbed by the likes of chase HQ that I simply didn't give a toss where they were, so I guess the Master system 2 reminds me of sitting in strange houses shunting criminals off the road while loud music usually of a heavy metal persuasion hides noises not suitable for young ears. I seldom saw a NES, I remember playing them a few times at houses but it certainly wasn't a regular deal, I remember buying one for about £20 with a bunch of games once the Super Nintendo was out and I already owned one, I was so in awe of it yet everyone thought I was crazy for buying ''that old piece of junk'' it was the first time I really got a machine after its time, sure I got new things and I had old things laying around left over from when they were new but this was the first time I had made what you could call a retro purchase. I don't associate music or friends with the NES I associate total silence apart from the game, I took to the NES like some kind of art appreciator I wanted to hear every beep to see every pixel to study and admire them. It was the first time I really though of games as being beautiful in there own right. It was here in this moment that I became more than just a games player but a game collector and when I really began to appreciate them.

To Be continued

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: What each system reminds me of

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 pm

It's really interesting to hear the more personal experience of game consoles, rather than the more usual gaming memories. Thanks for sharing kerr!

Although "[The NES] was the first time I really though of games as being beautiful in there own right" makes me laugh because I would not describe most NES games as looking beautiful. I get your point though :p

Kriken
FKA liberal

Re: What each system reminds me of

Post by Kriken » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:48 pm

I think the Gameboy Colour was my first, though one of my sisters kind of owned it before me. For a long time, we pretty much only had one game, and that was Pokémon (Red). She'd never let me play it which, thinking back on it, was understandable considering there was only one save file and she didn't want my stupid child self messing everything up.

Except she did end up letting me play it, on her save file, because she couldn't figure out the victory road boulder puzzle. I had no prior experience of videogames and had just been watching her play the game, but I was able to do it for her and she was rather surprised by this when I handed the game back to her. Was pretty pleased with myself.

And then when she was finally done and bored with the game and let me play through it myself, I didn't even know how to get out of the house. I also remember for some reason having about 5 rattatas in my party by the time I was in S.S. Anne and was too afraid of depositing my squirtle/wartortle because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get him back.

Next would have been Nintendo 64. I spent so much time playing 64 games with my younger sister, and my cousin who would come to our house every Sunday and who was better at games than I was (she was a little older but that was only partly it I think; I bet she'd still beat me at Smash, whatever she does nowadays). While my mum and aunt talked downstairs we'd play games. Mostly vs each other on like Super Smash Bros (64) and probably Mario Kart 64/Diddy Kong Racing.

We'd then play with each other a lot on the PS1 but much more so on the Gamecube - and on that by far our most played game was Super Smash Bros Melee, which both myself and my cousin loved (not so much my younger sister, who'd probably have preferred Mario Party). I'd also almost never beat her, and I remember her saying that beating me was easier than beating a CPU. She'd play Marth and just swipe at me whenever I'd go near her as Fox. I could just not go in on her because she predicted what I did all the time. Funnily enough I did not see what was so good about Marth at the time and barely played him, but now he's my main character when I play the game competitively.

Despite losing all the time, it was some of the most fun I had as the kid, and I looked forward to my cousin's visits every week. And then suddenly, for whatever reason, they stopped happening. This girl I grew up with, who was like another sister to me basically. So it was a bit disappointing for me, to say the least. She was quiet and aloof, but if I suggested playing a certain game or playing it in a certain way, she'd be up for it.

Then years later, out of the blue, she visited again, both of us in our mid-teens now. I remember that we played Pikmin 2 multiplayer, and that she enjoyed it a lot, even saying so herself, and in a weird way that made me happy. But then that was it. I don't remember seeing her again after that.

That must have been maybe ten years ago now. I doubt we'd recognise each other anymore, or at least I wouldn't recognise her, if we happened to bump into each other again.

Nintendo DS (Phat) - Begging my mum to get one for me. She said she would if I hand-copied this children's bible I had (weird, I know) because she thought it would help the message sink in I guess. And of course I did it. At the gamestation there wasn't even any of the games I wanted at the time. Super Mario 64 DS was sold out. I got Yoshi Touch N Go instead which was alright but I was just so happy to have the console at the time.

Being so addicted I brought it with me to the toilet.

Wii - I remember selling my retro game collection to buy it, because as soon as Wiis became available at my local gamestation (they would sell out) again, my mum had to borrow money from me. I didn't mind having to do this. I might have missed a few games at a later time, but I would regrow my collection - and didn't really care about consoles in particular.

I remember being a little isolated multiplayer-wise: most of my friends mainly played on the 360; or PC/Playstation 3. But good multiplayer times were still had on Wii Sports, Brawl, WarioWare Smooth Moves and to a lesser extent Mario Kart Wii.

Binging harder on any game than I ever had in my life - Super Mario Galaxy - with 8 hour-long sessions.

Wii U - the first Nintendo console I didn't get/buy out of sheer excitement - I just had money to blow and was a little curious. I wasn't too interested in the other consoles of that gen because I already had a good gaming PC. This was somewhere in the middle of the console's life.

BotW restoring my faith in Nintendo. I remember thinking only a little way in, "This is the best Zelda ever." Now my opinion of it has cooled a little, but I'd still maybe rank it first. Top 3 at the least.