Should old games be in any way restored

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
kerr9000

Should old games be in any way restored

Post by kerr9000 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Ok so I was wondering what other peoples oppinions where on the subject of Video game Restoration, where people print out new labels to stick on cartridges or try to reapint colour onto fadded booklets etc..

I wrote a piece about it for my blog so I will drop a link here but to be short I am not keen on it, how does everyone else feel?

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/ ... s-and.html

barrybarryk

Re: Should old games be in any way restored

Post by barrybarryk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:05 pm

Sure. I mean a big part of game collecting is purely so people can have a nice looking collection for a shelf, otherwise your collection would be a rom folder or a stack of digital titles.

Trying to pass them off as original for sale is a giant no no, but if you want to get a new manual or label printed up etc go for it (Though I'd seriously recommend paying the few quid and having a professional printers do it). I've had little mini SNES and N64 boxes printed up for my loose carts before. Same artwork, just a snug size for the game cart instead of the giant (And completely crap) boxes the games originally shipped in. They'd obviously never pass for original, but look tidy so that's good enough for me and I replaced the barcodes with a QR code linking to a digital copy of the manual on my NAS for browsing on my phone while I'm playing something. But it's the same with my hardware, from recapping to reprinting torn stickers (Hell my spectrums are barely original anymore!) they all get a bit of TLC.

My PS1 games too, a lot of those have been moved over to jewel cases with fitting artwork redone since the PAL boxes are awful quality. They're made out of the cheapest, most brittle rubbish Sony could get their hands on and I'd rather not having to worry about cracking eton mess boxes that get more fragile every year.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 pm

While i can see why people would want to do it, it's not something i'd choose to do.

But then, 90% of my old games are still boxed, and in some cases, mint.
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Most of my SNES games are unboxed although I have around 30 boxed games I have about a further 200 loose carts, I would love to make some little boxes for these games and I like your idea with the QR codes barrybarryk, and in fact when I was younger I did make a few plastic cases but its just having that I dont really have the room for them, but yeah I would deffinetly go for something which is more of a cool and practical replacment instead of a reproduction of the original. Dropping carts in something like this I would enjoy but I would leave the labels as they are etc.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:14 pm

For loose SNES and N64 carts some people have made little plastic protector boxes likes these:

I think I paid about £25 for 50 from some german place when I ordered them, then I made up the small boxes to fit inside them with the cart, but the plastic boxes alone will be enough to stop crap getting into the carts and protect them a little.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:30 pm

I made this, I got Alundra disc only for £5 and didnt want it to just get lost, I found a PC educational disc in a charity shop in a deep very PS style case for 25pence and so grabbed it and printed a cover etc , I am pretty sure its not even the original cover art for here but I like it and its just for me not to try and sell it on or anything

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:52 am

Looks decent to me!

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:05 pm

thanks OR :)