What Are We Playing At The Moment?

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Re: What Are We Playing At The Moment?

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:53 pm

GuitarHero wrote:Been playing Sonic Adventure 2 for the first time and its... alright I suppose? I'm comparing it to Sonic Adventure DX but I think my nostalgia is blinding me as I revere the first game
DX is horrible. Open your eyes, man.

2 is a vast improvement, but still not actually 'good'.
das a peepo

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:00 am

I just remember being addicted to the Chao garden in the first game (despite having no clue what to do other than give them the right animals, something to this day I still do not know how to do), even when I went back to DX fairly recently I still thoroughly enjoyed it!

I do see the issues with it, like numerous bugs, glitches and the occasional random death that you had no control over but I still just have so much fun (apart from Big the Cat, the fishing just frustrates the hell out of me).

I feel like I need to give 2 more of a chance, so I will try and complete it as I haven't played much (I think, I can't really work out how far I'm through the game) yet

Chocolate-Milk

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:43 am

The animal icons have different coloured backgrounds depending on the stat they increase. Green for speed, red for power, etc. At least they do in SA2, I haven't played DX in quite a while.

The Chao gardens are the main selling point for me, too. I've spent far, far too long in the SA2 gardens. I can look past how bad the main games are, because I've gotten so much out of the Chao raising.

As for SA2's length, each side of the story has about 20 levels plus bosses.
das a peepo

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm using my Wii U to play Golden Sun. It seems like quite a sweet mix of Secret Of Mana and Dragon Quest but it doesn't half love the sound of its own text bleep. Sheesh! :roll:

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Final Fantasy 7. Oh boy.

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:03 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:The animal icons have different coloured backgrounds depending on the stat they increase. Green for speed, red for power, etc. At least they do in SA2, I haven't played DX in quite a while.

The Chao gardens are the main selling point for me, too. I've spent far, far too long in the SA2 gardens. I can look past how bad the main games are, because I've gotten so much out of the Chao raising.

As for SA2's length, each side of the story has about 20 levels plus bosses.
Yeah, I got the stat increases it was mainly the black market that I never understood nor like the life cycle of a chao (also didn't know it was pronounced "chow" until I heard it spoken in SA2, I always pronounced it "kay-oh" as in chaos). I mean I get that the flowers means its DTF but I remember having a Chao die on me randomly and wondering like "What have I done wrong, Chao gods?!".

The black market also confuses the hell out of me as I'm not really sure what any of the fruit and stuff do. I should probably look it up at some point or just mess around and see what happens.

Yeah, that puts me about half way through so I'll definitely try and finish it when I have a chance

Chocolate-Milk

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:54 am

If you're looking to delve deeper into it, you should check out Chao Island. It's a pretty extensive guide on Chao raising, with pretty much every minute detail about each version of the Chao Garden. Be warned, it's a huge timesink.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who said 'kay-oh', though.
das a peepo

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:54 am

Damn, I thought it was deep but not that deep! I will definitely have to check this out properly now, cheers. Eh, who needs to do work...

Yeah, "kay-oh" sounds more natural to me and I still say that even if I suppose "chow" is quicker to say

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Theme Park, Crazy Taxi and Dirt3 not sure if they count as "Retro" but all are rather fun
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:08 pm

chrono trigger snes version via vc

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:22 pm

earthbound via wii u vc

masofdas
PSN ID: masofdas

Post by masofdas » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:22 am

RichardUK wrote:Theme Park, Crazy Taxi and Dirt3 not sure if they count as "Retro" but all are rather fun
Two retro, one last gen.

Still FFVII and I'm really looking at picking up Super Mario RPG via VC
PSN, NNID, Gamertag, Steam, Twitter, Tumbler, Twitch: masofdas. YouTube: masofbiohaz. New 3DS FC 3110-7071-6098
Image Image

IronHide
Steam ID: IronHide1981

Post by IronHide » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:55 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who said 'kay-oh', though.
It can't be pronounced any other way, they're called Chao's because of the Chaos Emeralds aren't they?

I dread to think how many hours I wasted raising the little gooseberry fool.

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:23 am

Been playing God of War: Chains of Olympus on the PSP the last couple of days. Such a great game, and amazing that it was able to fit onto a handheld. Reminds me that I kinda need to finish playing the first 2 games on PS2 lol, and pick up Ghost of Sparta for PSP and God of War 3 for PS3 at some point lol.

Emperix
NNID: Emperix
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2926-3535
PSN ID: Shadowjojo
Xbox Gamertag: Emperix

Post by Emperix » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 pm

I've recently started putting my PSN PS1 games onto my PSP.

At the moment, I've been palying around with Resident Evils 2 & 3 and Kula World. It takes a bit of getting used to as the d-pad feels slightly different to the original PS1 pad, but it's not too bad :)

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Completed God of War: Chains of Olympus tonight. Great game but disappointed it didn't last longer, and disappointed that you never got to battle Atlas. I wanna battle a giant :(.

Just discovered that the 2 PSP games, along with the 3 main games in the series were released on the PS3 in a collection called God of War Saga, which from what I understand wasn't released over here in the UK. BUT, the good old PS3 is region free, and with my US PSN account I'll be able to access the DLC too... so now I just have to find a suitably priced copy of the game :P.

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:21 am

secret of mana snes. 4 hours in...

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Got back into The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on PSP last week. I'd already sank 12 hours into it, then for whatever reason stopped playing and moved onto something else. Well, I'm up to 30 hours now and I reckon I'm into the final few hours, since each chapter appears to take 8 hours each and there are only 4 of them. The story is perhaps the best I've ever played through in a video game. Gonna be sad when it ends :(.

Guess I'll have to pick up Trails of Cold Steel for the PS3 next :P.

Ploiper
NNID: ploiper
PSN ID: ploiper

Post by Ploiper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 pm

been playing through pokemon heart gold again recently. just training my team up for the pokemon league now, little under levelled from where I want to be.
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Skyward sword. Forgot how good the motion control is

IronHide

Post by IronHide » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Advance Wars 2 - Randomly started this again and can't stop playing it, it's such a great game that simply hasn't aged at all.

I honestly don't understand why Nintendo haven't made any more AW games since the DS ones.

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:02 pm

IronHide wrote:Advance Wars 2 - Randomly started this again and can't stop playing it, it's such a great game that simply hasn't aged at all.

I honestly don't understand why Nintendo haven't made any more AW games since the DS ones.
Same here - they're great and haven't aged a bit. It really is a testament how well they're still holding up. And also probably for the same reason we still haven't had any kind of F-Zero game in forever.

IronHide

Post by IronHide » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Pokemon Ruby

Having never actually been properly bothered by the games until fairly recently I haven't played this one before and to be perfectly honest I'm not particularly enjoying it, mainly it's the arduous task of levelling up the early 'mon that's frustrating as they're mostly useless/bland, I've caught a magikarp to eventually evolve into a gyarados but by christ it's a horrible boring process.

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:55 am

links awakening. felt like playing it after seeing it on games done quick last night

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:58 pm

I've been playing Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, but I've stopped because it got boring. I really enjoyed it as a kid but going back I know it's just not a spectacular game. It's alright. I might get back to it since I'm so close to the end, but I dunno. Not enjoying it too much.

Started Valkyria Chronicles yesterday and probably going to be playing that instead.
IronHide wrote:Advance Wars 2 - Randomly started this again and can't stop playing it, it's such a great game that simply hasn't aged at all.

They don't sell all that well. Especially not in Japan. The last Advance Wars game wasn't even released in Japan until 5 years after its release and on the 3DS virtual console.

I would like more AW games as well, but yeah.