Future Retro Holy Grail's

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
Silver light

Re: Future Retro Holy Grail's

Post by Silver light » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:25 pm

I still need to get a copy of W101, myself. Deeply regretting not biting when it was £20 new.

As for a suggestion of my own...Suikoden Tierkreis? It's no Suikoden II, but it's still pretty good and EU copies seem extremely uncommon.

Pariston Hill

Post by Pariston Hill » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Suikoden Tierkreis would definitely count, the prices on amazon UK are ridiculous . It would be a game I would certainly interested in getting it at reasonable price but no way at £80+ price people are asking for.

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Not so much a game but: Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Little Mac & Sonic amiibos. And I could probably add at least another 10 or so to that list.

Oh, and Bayonetta 2's First Print Edition which is already commanding the £100+ price point on Amazon. So very pleased I pre-ordered mine. :D

laughingjumpman
NNID: Duncan2501
Xbox Gamertag: Duncan2501

Post by laughingjumpman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:27 pm

What about Baiten Kaitos (spelling might be a bit off, there) for GC? Remember it getting high praise in NGC mag back in the day, but I've never seen a copy, then or now. Well, outside of eBay anyway.
Are we all Super now?

Twitter

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:55 pm

I have an American copy of Baiten Kaitos, brought it while over there for about 20dollars new.. started playing it and its a pretty good game.

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:41 pm

PS3 wise these are some that may end up being hard to obtain, brilliant classics, that I have been seeking out.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (black box, not red /essential box)
Ni No Kuni (black box version not red/ essential box)
Uncharted all 3 of them

These weren't extremely easy to track down and very important to my PS3 collection. In the future they may prove even harder to obtain as they are very likely to be held onto, I know I'll hold onto my copies of them.

Wii wise, even only a few months after release I had some difficulty tracking down:

No More Heroes 2
Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat - New Play Control
Pikmin 2 - New Play Control

They all play really well and are fine examples of Wii games, possibly less obvious than say Xenoblade Chronicles or The Last Story. If for some reason you don't own a wii and buy one in future you should buy all these games, XC and TLS included.
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:44 pm

I've been after No More Heroes 2 for a while now. Got the first one for like 50p, but the second one is always expensive and I'm poor :P.

I envy anyone who lives anywhere with decent game shops (aka ANY THAT SELL RETRO GAMES lol) or car boots/second hand markets that actually sell retro games too. I pretty much have to go online for all my retro needs :(.

Saw Pikmin 2 with the new play controls brand new and sealed for £5 on a site a couple of weeks back, but I didn't have ANY money to buy it :(. By the time I did (maybe a week later) it was already gone.

danbish

Post by danbish » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Bix wrote:Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat - New Play Control
I'd actually say the GameCube original that was shipped with the bongos would be more of a holy grail.

Bix

Post by Bix » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:15 pm

danbish wrote:
I'd actually say the GameCube original that was shipped with the bongos would be more of a holy grail.
Well maybe they both are .. in terms of difficulty to obtain; the quality of gameplay contained within & the obscurity now that the Wii U has replaced the Wii.

I did manage to acquire some bongo's with Donkey Conga, so I may embark on a mission for the original Jungle Beat at some point 8-)
TIME !

danbish

Post by danbish » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Bix wrote:
danbish wrote:
Well maybe they both are .. in terms of difficulty to obtain; the quality of gameplay contained within & the obscurity now that the Wii U has replaced the Wii.

I did manage to acquire some bongo's with Donkey Conga, so I may embark on a mission for the original Jungle Beat at some point 8-)
I was lucky/fortunate/sensible enough to buy both on their release, with their bongos. They're in the loft and are part of the collection that will never be sold.

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:14 pm

I've seen one of the Donkey Kong games compatible with the bongos for £10 WITH the bongos still in the box. Box looks to be in tatters but hey, I ain't fussy about that kind of thing for accessories anyway. However I passed on buying it because for £10 I was able to buy about 8 other games instead :P.

Maybe one day soon I'll have another look and see if I can pick em up cheap for my collection.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:30 pm

I have Donkey Konga and 3 sets of Bongo's , I remember looking at Jungle beat but cant for the life of me remeber If I ever got it.

danbish

Post by danbish » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:30 am

The thing I remember most about it, other than what an amazing game it is, is how sore my hands were after playing it. I remember having to cut the playtime down a tad and testing how light I could hit the bongos and still be able to play it properly. My hands have never been so red.

Bix

Post by Bix » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:36 am

kerr9000 wrote:3 sets of Bongo's
TIME !

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:49 am

the last set I got was from a charity shop for 5quid with a gamecube microphone... 3 is the sort of ideal number for me to have for any gaming controller as if I am playing things multiplayer its usually me my fiancée and my daughter.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:09 am

Well, looks like PT definitely will be a rarity now.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Wed May 06, 2015 12:56 am

Xenoblade, it's already very hard to come by, even with the popularity it gained from chuggaaconroy's LP of it it's still scarce. I luckily grabbed a copy for Christmas for £25.

Possibly some of the Yakuza games, at least, the English copies of them. It's a very under appreciated series in the west so SEGA didn't bother too much with localising them, Yakuza 5 is only now getting localised 3 years after it came out in Japan, and only as a PSN PS3 exclusive. SEGA didn't even dub over them, just added subtitles and cut some gambling content from 3. I can see it being decently tricky to find, especially the older ones. There are only 4 copies of Yakuza 4 in CEX at the moment across the whole UK, and I'd imagine it's one of those games that not many people would even consider.

Chibi Robo is also already very rare, I've never actually seen a copy in the flesh, even when it was first released it was scarce. Also Chibi Robo: Park Patrol is looking very rare, a game I actually own by some lucky chance.

Okamiden will be rarer than Okami, as the PS3 version sold decently.

Kororinpa for the Wii as well, a nice little game that seems to have been forgotten. Especially rarer as the US version is called Marble Mania, so the EU titles called Kororinpa should be much harder to come by.

Finally, Super Mario Sluggers. I remember hearing loads of news on this game when it was first revealed, only to have it fade out completely, and by release it was nowhere to be seen! I'd almost forgotten entirely about this game myself, I haven't actually even seen anything on the game aside from the title and an article ONM did when it was first announced. I'd be willing to bet it would be pretty rare in the future, what does everyone else think? Did anyone here actually buy that game? It was only released in Japan and the US, and I can't even find any copies of it on ebay!

Bix

Post by Bix » Mon May 11, 2015 1:14 pm

I have a feeling Tatsunoko vs Capcom (wii) maybe become quite sort after .. largely due to Battle of the Planets cartoon and combined with the fact that some copies came with large arcade sticks like some of the beat em ups did. Was it just the Japanese versions that had the sticks ? probably :roll: knowing Nintendo Europe ...
TIME !

Silver light

Post by Silver light » Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is also probably never going to get a rerelease due to the licensing.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Wed May 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Zack & Wiki would be a good shout. I seem to recall that it didn't sell particularly well when it came out.

danbish

Post by danbish » Thu May 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Ape wrote:Zack & Wiki would be a good shout. I seem to recall that it didn't sell particularly well when it came out.
Had that, sold it on eBay. Stupid, stupid boy.

Silver light

Post by Silver light » Wed May 20, 2015 10:05 pm

danbish wrote:
Ape wrote:Zack & Wiki would be a good shout. I seem to recall that it didn't sell particularly well when it came out.
Had that, sold it on eBay. Stupid, stupid boy.
Isn't it still really cheap right now, though? Just quickly nab a copy before it jumps up, if it does.