Gamecube Wonders

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
kerr9000

Re: Gamecube Wonders

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Speaking of the Double Dash with the Zelda collectors disc in it Bix I have that....

I did have the collectors disc in the case on its own, but my X Wife stole it... yeah not satisfied with having traumatised my daughter and having assaulted me she stole a bunch of my stuff on top....

I hate loosing things so I spent ages trying to get this game again and in the end went in a retro shop one week they wanted 30 quid for the collectors disc in a plastic wallet with no box. Went in the next week and they wanted 20quid for one of the double dashes with the zelda disc included. So I replaced it that way

GAME resurface discs if they are baldy scratched it costs 3quid or they will do 3 for 5quid if you get a rare cube game cheap but scratched try it... you can only resurface a game so many times but its worth trying.. I occasionally do it If I see old games stupidly cheap but banged up.

My X was a stealing eton mess...luckily my new lady is a god damn goddess of wonderfulness who will happily look for retro stuff for me, play it with me and understands how much stuff means to me.. First Valantines togther she brought me Fire Emblem for the Cube because my original had been stolen... then it was either valantines or xmas she brought me a psp.

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 pm

woop kerr .. that one's a keeper 8-)

I really do wish I had that dd+zelda but I have to slug it out on ebay as there are no retro shops round here any more.

I also should say I wasn't expecting very much from:

But it was actually pretty fun. I had the GBA version too which changed the angle entirely but between the two versions I definitely killed some time.
Last edited by Bix on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 pm

If I ever see another copy thats not stupidly priced Ill let you know

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks to my post in the Retro thread and someone's reply to it, I've just been reminded of a question regarding the Gamecube.

Why is it that a lot of the multiplatform games from the time that came out on GC, PS2 and Xbox are almost always more expensive to buy on the GC? Because they didn't sell as many copies as the other systems, therefore there are less copies out there to be sold? It's weird, but there are a lot of games I ended up buying on PS2 due to the price that I would have preferred to have had on the Gamecube instead. Maybe it's the controller, or maybe it's just that I associate certain games with Nintendo consoles (mainly 3D platformers lol). Hell I've even put off buying Shovel Knight on the PC so I can get it on the Wii U when it's (finally) released over here next month. Just one of those games that to me NEEDS to be played on a Nintendo console (in this case mainly because of the games that helped inspire the game).

Missingno.
NNID: MIssingno.90
3DS Friend Code: 5257-9040-6805

Post by Missingno. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:17 pm

bigcalwv wrote:Thanks to my post in the Retro thread and someone's reply to it, I've just been reminded of a question regarding the Gamecube.

Why is it that a lot of the multiplatform games from the time that came out on GC, PS2 and Xbox are almost always more expensive to buy on the GC? Because they didn't sell as many copies as the other systems, therefore there are less copies out there to be sold? It's weird, but there are a lot of games I ended up buying on PS2 due to the price that I would have preferred to have had on the Gamecube instead. Maybe it's the controller, or maybe it's just that I associate certain games with Nintendo consoles (mainly 3D platformers lol). Hell I've even put off buying Shovel Knight on the PC so I can get it on the Wii U when it's (finally) released over here next month. Just one of those games that to me NEEDS to be played on a Nintendo console (in this case mainly because of the games that helped inspire the game).
I'd definitely say it's down to there being less copies for sale.
They also looked far better (or at least the ones I played) on Gamecube than they did PS2.
I just recently set up my Gamecube and there's still a few of the games that hold up well considering how old they are.
I'll break your pokemon! >;(

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:56 pm

probably fewer sales, making it actually rarer... some of it was proberbly produced in less number particularly towards the end of the machines life..

I prefer getting stuff on the cube but sometimes it gets as bad as 2 quid on the ps2 or 12 on the cube and you just think its basically the same game fudge it.

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Yeah that's pretty much my problem. Can get the game on PS2 for sub £3, but the Gamecube version is around £9-12 lol.

Silver light

Post by Silver light » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Pretty much, yeah. Iirc generally GC games got smaller print runs than their XB/PS2 counterparts, especially in the latter years, which considering the relative lack of success the GC had is pretty understandable.
kerr9000 wrote:I prefer getting stuff on the cube but sometimes it gets as bad as 2 quid on the ps2 or 12 on the cube and you just think its basically the same game fudge it.
I think the best example of that i've seen before was Resident Evil Code Veronica X. Like £1 on PS2, £20 odd on GC.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:11 pm

I kept looking at Killer 7 selling on the cube for bucket loads walked on a market and saw it on ps2 for 1quid .... yeah inferior port but I aint made of money

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:27 pm

So, after years I have finally the Prison of the Maw level on Rouge Squadron 2. For years I literally could not beat it.
Then today, after four tries, I beat it by the skin of my teeth.
Guess which level I'm stuck on now?

ChaosControl
NNID: jammydodger1985
3DS Friend Code: 270729914659
PSN ID: jammydodger1985
Steam ID: jammydodger1985

Post by ChaosControl » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:40 am

kerr9000 wrote:If I ever see another copy thats not stupidly priced Ill let you know
I was really lucky and got my Zelda collector's Edition from CEX for less than a tenner. I always keep my eyes peeled when I'm out and about.
I am functioning within the established parameters.

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:42 am

We need a CEX :cry: .. every city in the UK should have a CEX we've got like 3 or 4 GAME's ..People would go nuts for a CEX.
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Warning though... CEX can be cheap but they sell games so knackered other places wouldn't take them in... they also put them on the shelves for the same price as normal when they are missing manuals etc without putting anything on telling you.

I use them, its just something to bear in mind, especially if you consider buying from them online as you wont see how the game looks and they can arrived with cracked cases, cases with teeth marks in, discs that have been scrapped across the floor etc.

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:59 pm

I bought about 40 games from CEX a few months ago online (Wii, PS2, and one or two GC and Xbox games), and I was lucky as guess as all the discs are perfectly fine. A couple of the cases are a little dirty and some have pieces broken off (small bits), but overall for the price and knowing where I was getting them from, I was pleased. Do wish they'd say if games come with manuals or not though.

Seen some proper tatty boxes and whatnot for dvd's in the actual store though lol. In fact something I wanted was in there, a boxset of 5 DVD's, and was £8. The box was just cardboard and looked like it would disintegrate if you picked it up lol. Found the same thing online for brand new and sealed for the same price!

Wish my local CEX store had more Gamecube games though. They just have a small shelf with about 10 or so, and there haven't been any new ones since I first started looking.

Silver light

Post by Silver light » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah, Cex is nice in the fact they actually sell last-last gen stuff but the condition can be all over the place. As much as you have a chance of a great find, you've prolly got even more chance of it being a complete mess.

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:40 pm

CEX refused to take some of my PSP games when I took them in because they 'moved about in the case a bit'.
Seriously. Like - what? The boxes were still in great condition, the manuals were still there, and all because the games 'moved about a bit' in the cases, they refused to take them! Talk about only wanting top quality. Even though they were.
Can't say I ever saw any Gamecube games there though.

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Bix wrote:We need a CEX :cry: .. every city in the UK should have a CEX we've got like 3 or 4 GAME's ..People would go nuts for a CEX.
My city has a CEX and I pop in occasionally to see what it has to offer. I've yet to see anything half decent mind you and what they do have makes you wonder why they bother. There's around 6 GameCube games on the shelves to buy - a bit like GAME and Nintendo games. Plus it smells funny in there too.

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:54 pm

danbish wrote:Plus it smells funny in there too.
Lol, my local one is fine, but the one in Sheffield last time I went literally smelled like crap. I had to leave before I was sick lol.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:56 pm

My local is small and crowded Birmingham has a nice big clean CEX at least it was last time I was in there.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 pm

I don't like CeX at all, when i buy pre-owned, i always go elsewhere.
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 pm

The thing CEX is best for is offering you more cash to trade in than other shops... The good side is other shops will match CEX's prices... so I tend to go to places who sell there stuff in better condition and make them match CEX's trade prices... (I only trade things I have brought of facebook for cheap though 360 game and such... but will trade them for older stuff).

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 pm

I should really get around to completing Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia some time
Still chuffed as nuts that I got Path of Radiance and Twilight Princess for free though

Psychopath

Post by Psychopath » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:48 pm

I still have a Gamecube and about 40 games. I need controls though. The ones I have, have some dodgy buttons that don't press properly.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:51 pm

The gamecube controllers there brining out for Wii U should provide a sauce of good new Gameucube usable controllers. Have you tried going in the controllers cleaning the internals etc ?

Tentacle

Post by Tentacle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:42 am

Gotcha Force is by far one of my favourite games on the system.