150 Snes Games at the speed I can handle

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
Highlight

Re: 150 Snes Games at the speed I can handle

Post by Highlight » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:56 pm

I really like Cool Spot, I have the MegaDrive version and I especially think that the music is excellent. The sequel though... I'd avoid it. It's an isometric platformer, and I'm not a huge fan of isometric games.
ImageImage
Dig Dug wrote:Highlight nailed that.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:19 pm

If your going to have a version of it the MegaDrive is the one to have... Yeah the sequel is not as good at all, nowhere near so its not that big a shame the SNES missed it.

I intend to have my next SNES review done by the 3rd... Basically at the moment I am putting them up on my blog mixed in amongst other games related posts, politics posts, horror movie posts etc and the 3rd is when I have the next gap (If I have free time I will write stuff in advance and just click post on the day..) I have a post about the Film Hollow Man up tommorow.

If the horror and politics doesnt intrest you I have two other friends who just do games all the time and there both former ONM members from way way back

http://ds90gamer.blogspot.co.uk/

http://dstegameoveryeah.blogspot.co.uk/

SNES wise at the moment I have been playing a fair bit of Tiny Toons wacky sports so it might be that... possibly because its an interesting time to write about Konami made stuff and partly because well as I have already been playing it dont need to set aside hours to play it.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:46 am

SNES Game Review 97: WWF Royal Rumble

Well this is going to be my second WWF based SNES review (WWF the former name of what is now known as the WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment). So WWF Royal Rumble was a multiplatform wrestling video game based on the World Wrestling Federation it was the sequel to Super Wrestlemania which I have already reviewed. It was once again made by Sculptured Software Inc and released by the infamous LJN who other than mentioning just now I won’t really be talking about as it is ground I have touched before, but basically this game is made and developed by the same people who did the last entry in the series.

It was released for both the Super NES and Sega Megadrive. Like its predecessor but in this case the Megadrive version hit about 3 months later, once again despite being pretty much the same game it was decided that they would give the games different roster’s, I am not sure if this was maybe because they thought it might inspire some people to buy both or because of changes in the WWF and in who was important at the time, after all 3 months could be a long time back then with wrestlers moving to WCW or mid-carders moving up in to more main event status. Either way the two versions share seven wrestlers: Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Randy Savage, Crush, and Lex Luger. Then each version has 5 exclusive wrestlers. On the SNES people got to play with Ric Flair, Mr. Perfect, Ted DiBiase, Yokozuna and Tatanka. Whereas on the Megadrive/Genesis there was Hulk Hogan, IRS, Jim Duggan, The Model and Papa Shango. Who got the better deal kind of depends upon how much you value the individuals involved. I like the fact that the SNES version got Ric Flair, Mr. Perfect, Ted DiBiase as they were all excellent heel characters but I have to admit if they were removed I wouldn’t really miss either Yokozuna or Tatanka. As for the megadrive version well it’s kind of cool to see Hulk Hogan and Jim Duggan as strong hero types from that period, and I also have a lot of respect for The Model so it’s nice to see him in a game. The strange thing is that IRS and Million Dollar man found themselves on oppersit sides of the format.

Yes once again I am here pointing out that old wrestling games didn’t have the large amount of wrestlers we are used to receiving in a modern game so again the same question I asked before about Super Wrestlemania can be asked. If they were going to do the work on all those characters why split them between platforms but this could be due to all sorts of things such as the size of cartridge they were trying to fit it on or again offering unique reasons for people to buy it on more than one format.

So with this only coming out a year later than Super Wrestlemania lets stop worrying about format differences and look at what was done to improve the game over its previous entry, was anything changed or was it just a quick cash grab? Well while WWF Royal Rumble still has the old bang/tap the buttons on your pad like crazy with the faster person winning grappling style this time they added an on screen meter to show how it was going. As small as this sounds I think this was a great little addition, you could now see if you were going to win or lose a grapple and it would make you try that bit harder. Steel chairs could now be found outside the ring and used which as small as it might sound at the time was a cool addition. Also after knocking the referee unconscious, the player can now use illegal tactics such as choking to get the advantage. In the last entry in the series wrestlers could only enter the ring from the left or right side but now you can roll into the from the bottom part of the screen, meaning far less bouts being ended by count out. More moves were added to the basic move makes the game feel a bit less repetitive. It’s not a bad little list of additions even if some of them are quiet subtle.

For me the main draw of this game is in the title, basically it is the fact that there's a Royal Rumble mode. I always loved watching the royal rumble every year when I was young, thirty men enter only one man leaves the winner usually with the promise of a shot at the title at the next Wrestlemania. It wasn’t always the winner who was the coolest though, it was great watching who would eliminate the most people who would last the longest, who would be the quickest person eliminated. I could talk for hours about my favourite moments from Royal Rumbles over the years including the moment when one of the bushwhackers marched to the ring jumped in got immediately knocked out and then marched back to the dressing room without missing a beat. There are of course some amazing things about the rumble this game cannot hope to emulate. You never really knew who would run to the ring next in a royal rumble, sometimes it would even be someone you hadn’t seen wrestle in a long time, or a surprise guest but in this game it is obviously one of the 12 playable characters, and that’s the other thing it’s only a 12 person rumble not a 30. Also there is only ever a maximum of 6 people in the ring at a time. Once you hit that magic number no one else will enter until someone has been eliminated to free up a space. I can see why this happens and to some degree wrestling games still do it now. There are of course a limited number of characters the console can handle at one time without it either causing slow down or just making things far too chaotic to play. For those less versed in the way of the Royal rumble it’s basically a multi competitor event where instead of pinning opponents you eliminate them by throwing them out over the top ropes, the winner being the last man left in the ring. Personally I think this mode alone actually adds buckets more to this game than the past entry in the series. I remember as a kid playing this game again and again with my brother and I honestly think for the time it wasn’t too bad. Sure it has been surpassed now, there was the excellent Royal Rumble game on Sega’s Dreamcast and then of course pretty much every modern wrestling game has a rumble/battle royal mode now but at the time this was a really neat little addition.

The graphics are pretty decent for the time, and the wrestlers although some of them don’t look quite right, Yokozuna for example does not look anywhere near big enough in comparison to other wrestlers. The important thing though is that you can tell people apart and you never get confused about who is who so the graphics are at the least highly functional. The Sound is average, all of the expected wrestler grunting is here with probably the best audio being the wrestler’s theme tunes which are all here in accurate midi style.

Would I recommend this game? Well I certainly think that there are better efforts on the machine and I would probably try to push you to something like Saturday Night Slam Masters first, but I also recognise this as a big step up from its prequel, I recognise the strength of its royal rumble mode for short bursts of fun, and I recognise the effort they went to in order to improve it. I would give this game a 6 out of 10. Should you actually go out and buy it though? Well with all of the carts of it I can find hugging the £10 to £15 price range and how much this type of game has advanced I would find it hard to recommend a purchase unless you’re dying for a new SNES game. As I said before with Super Wrestlemania you would be much better served going in to a shop and looking for a modern wrestling game with at least 3 times the characters, additions we now have like create a wrestler, and online play. In fact you can walk in to somewhere like CEX and find a copy of something like Smackdown Here comes the pain, Or one of the other early PS2 WWE Wrestlers for under £3 and you would probably get a great deal more fun from them. So really that would be my recommendation in this case, although it’s certainly fun to see how much WWE/WWF games have changed and developed over the many years they have been released.

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Fun game for it's time, but kinda hard for me to get into today. Still the best WWF/E game named after the Royal Rumble event, because oh boy is the DC game utterly awful :mrgreen:.

Will you be playing WWF Raw at some point?

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:51 pm

I really liked the Rumble part of the Dream cast royal rumble game, played the heck out of it.. but my judgment on it is very much one of nostalgic house parties. I haven't actually played it since a year or so after its release, and maybe its more the friends and the vodkashots and skimpy dressed lassies I remember alongside it that give it a rosy glow.

Yep I will be playing Raw at some point. I have a loose American cart of it. I think once I play Raw thats pretty much me out of wrestling games (Wrestlemania, royal rumble, raw, Saterday night slam-masters and Super Fire Pro Wrestling 3 Easy Type being all the SNES wrestlers I own as far as I remember) Raw will be a little bit intresting as I have never ever played it as far as I can remember. Wrestlemania and Rumble I played when they were out my Loose cart of Raw I got much much latter and I think I have only pushed it in the machine seen it works and turned it off.

Hard to believe I am drawing close to game 100.

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:32 pm

I think I own 10 wrestling games on the SNES now lol. And there are still a couple I know exist that I want, all imports. An then maybe WM: The Arcade Game, but atm it's the PS1 version of that I mainly want lol.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Yeah I never played that on the SNES myself I do remember playing it on the PS1.

Id like the WCW snes game and a few more fire pro's

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:43 pm

kerr9000 wrote:Yeah I never played that on the SNES myself I do remember playing it on the PS1.

Id like the WCW snes game and a few more fire pro's
The WCW game is one I definitely want, but I never see it. I have 4 fire pro games now, and another on the way in the post which is essentially fire pro but with the female Japanese wrestlers, and I still aren't sure how many more in the series I need :lol:. I know there is Super Fire Pro Wrestling X, but up until last week I didn't know there was a "Special" so god knows how many more versions there are!

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:55 pm

I know there are 2 versions of the Snes game Fire Pro 3. Basically fire pro 3 came out everyone over there said it was too hard and had issues so a revised version came out called Fire Pro 3 Easy type.

I have seen loose carts of the WCW game for £15 to £20 but its a lot just to try a game especially when you could spend the cash on other things (Other games you find cheaper).

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:23 pm

kerr9000 wrote:I know there are 2 versions of the Snes game Fire Pro 3. Basically fire pro 3 came out everyone over there said it was too hard and had issues so a revised version came out called Fire Pro 3 Easy type.

I have seen loose carts of the WCW game for £15 to £20 but its a lot just to try a game especially when you could spend the cash on other things (Other games you find cheaper).
Didn't know there were 2 versions of 3 lol. Just ordered the Easy edition :P. Hoping X is the last one I need to get now...

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:35 pm

The easy version was the version I reviewed way back when... couldnt tell you how much easier it is but apparently its more in line with the difficulty of the two previous titles. You ordering these boxed or loose? Have to admit I do tend to get most of my SNES games loose just because of the fact I try to hunt down the cheapest copy I can get of most things.

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Loose. Only own about 4 SNES games in box, and only got them because they were just as cheap at the time to get the boxed versions than the loose carts. That being said, Super Famicom games are pretty cheap even boxed, so if I wanted to I could have gotten all the Fire Pro's boxed, but still better to save more money and get em loose lol.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Strangely you just inspired me to grab a Japanese copy of the first Fire Pro, and the two cheapest copies I could find were the same price one boxed one not so I went for boxed lol

bigcalwv

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:54 pm

kerr9000 wrote:Strangely you just inspired me to grab a Japanese copy of the first Fire Pro, and the two cheapest copies I could find were the same price one boxed one not so I went for boxed lol
Haha, nice.

Like I said, love the fact the Super Famicom games are usually so cheap. It's actually cheaper for me to buy the Dragon Quest games for the SNES and send them off to be translated into English (aka the English translation ROM dumped onto the cart) than it is for me to get hold of a complete copy of the DS remakes of the likes of IV and V! Already got hold of V which cost me £3 (which seems to be the average price of the JAP SNES games lol), and in the next couple of months I plan in picking up the 1&2 cart, 3, and 4. Out of the first 9 DQ games, 7 is the only one I can't really get. Don't own a 3DS for the remake on there, and the PS1 version was only released in English in America I think, so it'll cost a bloody fortune.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:06 pm

Game 98 Asterix

Astérix is a 1993 platform game for the SNES it was both made and published by Infogrames, there was also NES and Game Boy versions of the game but as far as I know these were made by a Spanish company called Bit Managers (they were still published by Infogrames though). The games are based on the comic book series Asterix. An interesting little fact about This game is that it was only made available in Europe so it’s one of the few SNES games to be a European exclusive, basically because most of the other regions would have sat there going ‘’who the heck is Asterix?’’

Having grown up watching Asterix animated films I have a lot of love for the world that’s contained within them, I have always been a big fan of the characters contained within it especially Asterix’s best friend the big chubby but mighty Obelix. This is where the game gives me my first mighty kick to the testicles as the story for the game is basically that Obelix, has been kidnapped by the Romans, and it is up to you as Asterix to save him and bring him home to your village. This game came out in 1993 one year after Konami brought out an Asterix arcade game and arcade game that I was very fond of for many reasons. It was based on the same French comic series but you got to play as either Asterix or Obelix, in a final fight style 2d walk along beat em up filled with awesome graphics full of charm. Now it might seem harsh to judge a SNES game against an arcade machine but remember in 1992 we had seen an almost arcade perfect port of Street Fighter 2 the world warriors so we had seen what the SNES was capable of given the right people for the job.

So stick with me here, I turn on the game and find I have to be Asterix, it’s not so bad, then I learn it’s a 2D platformer fair enough there have been some darn good ones especially on the SNES but then I see the graphics and I am not exaggerating here this game could essentially be recreated on the master system graphics wise, the sprites are small and rather basic, the backgrounds are also pretty darn basic just enough colours and shapes to make out some sky with white clouds and grass and a bit of water, the foreground is better but once you’ve noticed how basic the background is you can’t really unsee it. Having played the Master System Asterix game from two years before this I actually think it has a better Asterix sprite.
To be fair to the games graphics there are a fair amount of different enviroments including the Gaul forests, the Swiss Alps, Egypt and of beign an Asterix game Rome.

The real problem with this game is that Infogrames did not bring a single new idea to the gaming table. So what you have here is a basic 2d platformer with basic graphics. There are cool little visits from characters like Dogmatix or Cacofonix, who will do something to help you against the Romans for example Dogmatix will bite the nearest solider on the bum taking him out of the action, its animated well and raises a smile
Asterix starts off easy as anything but as it goes on it can get quiet challenging in places, sometimes it is in fact a little frustrating, this can be due to the placement of enemies and the unsureness of how it wants you to proceed. Add on to this that unfortunately there are some occasions of flawed collision detection and you have a bit of a flawed game here. The music is pleasant enough but some of the sound effects are very basic. Overall this game feels kind of well like a budget title.

If you really like Asterix or Platformers then feel free to give this game a bash but there are a lot better games out there. I would give this game a 6 out of 10, it’s functional, enjoyable but was never going to set the world on fire. If you want to try this game a loose cart goes for around the £10 to £13 price range. I would add though that if you’re a multi format collector you could probably get a copy of the Master System Asterix boxed for this price and I feel it is in fact a much better more enjoyable game (Never thought I would be recommending a Master System title over a Super Nintendo game) I would happily give that game a 8 out of 10 and a heavy recommendation, actually talking about it is making me wish I still had it.

IronHide
Steam ID: IronHide1981

Post by IronHide » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:27 am

There were Asterix games for the Megadrive and Master System too, I have a vivid but not fond memory of trying to play the Master System version whilst ill with tonsilitus and almost fainting (my temperature was over 100).

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Yowser that is bad... I remember the Asterix arcade game and the Master system one, I cant remember ever playing a Megadrive one as far as I can remember but I do remember seeing one on shelves and such... best way to explain the master system one is its a bit like the built in Alex the Kidd game (miracle world).

IronHide

Post by IronHide » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Yeah, gaming with a fever isn't always the most sensible choice but I never learn.

Tried playing on my PSP when I had full blown Flu a few years ago and I was shivering so much that I dropped it.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Only time I had a really good really ill gaming session was when I used to work for a pub company... I was really really ill so ill I couldnt get out of bed, but playing and finishing Mario Sunshine managed to keep me focusing on something long enough for lots of pain killers to kick in and such.. other than that I usually just watch stuff and try to sleep if im ill.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:10 pm

SNES Game Review 99

So the game I have been playing is Family Feud, it’s based on a well-known American Quiz show, in fact you will have most likely have been watching the British version of it Family Fortunes on and off for years. The basic premise of the show for those who don’t know and therefore for this game is that two families compete to try to name the most popular responses given to survey questions in order to win. Now I have to admit that this is a bit of a weird one to review for a whole host of reasons. One being that it is an American game, asking you questions which might at times throw you culture wise for example ‘’Name a dish which you are sure to find at every PotLuck dinner’’ now I have heard the term before it’s basically a dinner where everyone brings something they have prepared to the hosts house but this just illustrates the fact that the questions are aimed at the market it was released for.

Ok so you are probably wondering at this point how you answer do you select from options or…? Well you answer by using your control pad to navigate a virtual keyboard and type the answer you want to give out, basically making the possibilities endless, add on to this that you need to spell the word or term correctly and that’s spell it correctly according to the Americanised spelling of the word. Now maybe I suck but I got my first five or six questions wrong even thinking and spelling American style for example I had to name something that someone would like as a present if they were an outdoors kind of man and I said Rifle as well we know Americans love their guns. Rifle wasn’t actually a valid answer knife however was.

So one of the important questions to raise about this type of game is how many questions is there, as with this kind of thing if the question count is low and starts to quickly repeat then the game is of very little worth well surprisingly this game has around 4,000 which is actually a lot especially when you consider the fact the latter Playstation one version only apparently has 1500. I guess they lowered the number to add in digitised speech and such. You won’t find anything like that here, sound wise you have some twee midi music in the background with a buzz noise for when things are wrong and a clap noise. The graphics well its largely static screens with your cartoon family just standing there, my personal favourite sprite is the Asian old man Harry Hill look alike, although I am also partial to the guy on one family who looks kind of like Chuck Norris. There is this clapping animation that I actually find really funny. Basically your sprites stay perfectly still there faces don’t change and they don’t move apart from their arms and hands which move backwards and forwards clapping erratically for some reason it makes me think they are all dead and being operated puppet style like the film weekend at Bernie’s.

Playing this on your own is as dull as dishwater, it is a little bit better with a friend but to be fair you’d probably have more fun just watching Family Fortunes and guessing along and seeing if your guesses are right or wrong. I basically knew going in to this that I wasn’t going to be blown away, I was just curious to see how they handled things, do I think it could be better? Well I guess I would have gone for offering a screen full of answers people could choose from instead of typing the answers out but maybe that would make it a little too easy and remove some of the pressure. This is one of those things where it’s hard to rate as we now have games like this which work better on modern smart phones. I have sat and watched my fiancée play all kinds of mobile scrabble and quiz show games which are free or cost literally pence which knock this out of the park.

This is most definitely a case where it’s only worth it if you just want to see what it is like or you are trying to collect any and every SNES cart you can get your hands on. I wouldn’t have bothered buying this myself if not for the fact that it was £3 including postage costs so I wouldn’t really recommend it as a purchase to anyone. I feel a bit mean giving it a score as it really is a product of its time but as it stands playing it now I would give it a 2 out of 10. If you desperately need this game I have seen a few copies on ebay selling from America where they want about £3.50 for the game and then £3.50 postage to the UK but remember you need either an American system, a convertor or a modified console.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Snes Game Review 100 Rainbow Bell Adventure

Ok so for my one hundredth SNES review what have I picked? Well I have picked Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures, or as it is known in Japan TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure. I had all kinds of ideas for what I should do for my one hundredth review if it should be specially or normal and in the end I think I just decided I should pick a game and get down to it or it would never happen. One of the interesting bits of trivia about this game is that it wasn't released in the USA at all, it was strictly speaking a Japanese and European exclusive, something which didn't really happen that often in terms of the SNES. Usually it seemed like a game would get a Japanese release which might then see it get an American release which would only then filter down to us if it had done OK in both of these previous markets. Why this game skipped the US I have no idea at all.

So other than obviously the Japanese version being in Japanese is there any differences between it and the version Europe got? Well actually there are more than you would expect. The level order in the Japanese version is a little bit more open allowing you to choose at poits what stage to do next, some stages have alternate exits, similar to Super Mario World allowing paths to be drawn that otherwise wouldn't open up. In the European version, though the order is laid out for you in a strictly linear fashion, you simply finish a level and then move on to the next one.There is dialogue between Dr. Cinnamon and the main characters Light, Pastel and Mint (the Pilots of Twinbee, Winbee and Gwinbee) at the level select screen in the Japanese version but this was cut from the European version for some reason. The European version uses passwords to save your progress where the Japanese one offers a battery back-up as well as the choice of using passwords. And last but not least the Japanese version has multiple endings depending on the player's performance (which the game rates) the European version just has one set ending. Now I might be wrong but to me I feel that a lot of this has to do with the way a bright colourful game like this was perceived in Europe, if its bright and silly looking here then its seen to be kids’ stuff, the Japanese are different though they tend to see a bright cartoony style as just one of several legitimate choices for how a game or animated film can be, I think they thought we would see the game as childish so they stripped out some of the more adult challenge and story based aspects and maybe they had a point in doing it. I got this game on release as a present I actually asked my parents for. A lot of my friends didn’t even give this game a second thought, they saw the graphics in magazine previews and pretty much straight labelled it babies stuff. I on the other hand have always been in to things like Anime and know that even with the brightest of colours and the cutest of looks sometimes there can be a lot more than just that held within.

Now there are probably three types of people reading this, the first will be those who already know about the game and want to find out my opinion, the next will be those who have never heard of the title or the characters leaving the last group those who will know that the characters belong to Konami, who will know who Twinbee is but will be going wasn't he that ship from those vertically scrolling shooter games. Well the quick answer is that yes Twinbee was from a series of shooting games in fact one of these games was on the Super Nes one year before Rainbow Bell adventures.

Pop'n Twinbee the snes game was in fact the sixth game in the TwinBee series and a direct follow-up to an arcade game The European version of this snes game was the first TwinBee related game to be localized for the European market. You might ask why I am not reviewing that game first, well there is a simple answer to that question and its the fact that I don't own it. Not to get too sidetracked but alongside sega's Fantasy Zone game Twinbee is pretty much the game responsible for the creation of the "cute 'em up" sub-genre of shoots. Its a shoot em up space ship shooting game with beautiful cute colours, upbeat cartoon style music and, snippets of voice acting I wont review it do to my rule of not reviewing things I don't own on the SNES but I will say its a delightful breath of fresh air that brings a smile to your face as you play it. I only mention it because this is one of the things that really made Rainbow Bell Adventures a surprise, you see with there being a whole series of shoot em up games featuring these characters it was a real shot from left field to see them suddenly release a platform game instead of doing what everyone expected and quickly rehashing a quick SNES sequel to the title from the previous year, you know minimum effort maximum cash style. So old Konami definitely get a bonus point from me here for doing something different.

Ok so let me play story teller here and give you a brief idea of the story (in game this is told to you via the intro sequence). So there are these ''Rainbow Bells'' right and somehow these bells keep the peace throughout the whole galaxy, they seem to do this by keeping a green haired princess alive. So all is good right? No as an evil scientist and his troopers steal the Rainbow Bells and take over the world. You play as the previously mentioned Twinbee, Winbee and Gwinbee and you have to stop him. Yeah its not about to win any book of the year awards here for story telling but its good enough to give you a reason for what your doing.

So you get to choose between the three character Twinbee the blue one, the pink Winbee the pink one, or the green Gwinbee the green one. They are all pretty much the same in how they move and how they control but there are some small differences. First and most importantly there is a charge punch move you can do and there is also the ability to charge your ship so you can shoot off at whatever angle your pressing at the time you release your jets, well the charge-up times are different Winbee charges her flying ability quickly but is slow to charge her punch, Gwinbee charges his punches quickly but takes a long time to charge up his jets, and Twinbee is the middle ground character his punch and flying ability have a medium charge making him the most rounded character. There is another minor difference between them but I will get to that in a little.

The game is absolutely chock a block full of different power-ups, something it takes from its shoot em up heritage. Your basic moves include both a punching attack and jumping, the jumping itself can be used as an attack as you will harm enemies by landing on top of them. Power-ups though come in the form of various coloured bells which appear after you have defeated an enemy. Obviously different colours give you different things. One coloured bell will give you a laser gun power-up another will give you a character dependant physical weapon with Twinbee getting a hammer, Winbee getting a whip, and Gwinbee getting projectile baby rattles. Then there is a bell which will give you a shield, a belle which gives you a mini ship which will follow behind you and a belle which will give you time limited invincibility.

OK so the basic idea in most levels is to find and enter the exit gate. This is no simple keep going right and you'll find it thing like in some games though or at least not all of the time, sure In a few levels, finding the exit is rather straightforward, but in others it can involve a whole lot of exploration. Then every so many levels you are met with a boss. There are the above mentioned bells to pick up for power ups but there are also score related bells which you can sort of consider the equivalent of Mario's coins. You will need to use your charge moves to either blow through a wall or to fly up in to the air. Something in this game I love but is actually pointless is the fact that if you charge up and rocket in to the air again and again eventually you can reach all the way in to space, there is nothing to do up there other than let go and see yourself plummeting downwards but the very fact they allow you to do this without putting some invisible ceiling in place or making you die if you go to high feels very liberating, its like they knew people would want to try it.

The graphics in Rainbow Bell Adventure are so darn cute but its more than that they are so full of colour that there a visual treat especially if you have played a lot of Xbox 360 grey chest high wall shooters recently, if you go from something like that back to Rainbow Bell it will just lay you on your ass and make you think back fondly to the good old 16bit era. The playable characters have lots of animation to them, they feel like they positively pop to life on the screen this coupled with the music just brings everything to life. The music is light and bubbly while also being fun and upbeat, I cant say that you will leave the game humming it but it certainly does put you in the right mood to enjoy this kind of game.

I think the game controls like a dream, its quiet simply awesome, it doesn't just control well its also so much fun to rocket around and bounce off walls and see what tricks you can do. The game is very fun but I also feel it works best in small bite sized chunks, I would advise you to play four or five levels jot down the password and then come back to it rather than trying to do all 33 in one sitting. I know that compared to the likes of super Mario World 33 doesn't sound like a very high number and well its not. If you were to attack this game with a I must complete it attitude you would knock it out of the way very quickly but that would ignore how fun this game is.

So what would I score this game? Well I think I would give it a nice solid 8. Its a nice fun game, its a bit different but I do think that it could do with being a little longer, I do think that some of the things that were removed from the Japanese version were removed to the games detriment and I do think that there are better games out there even if this is a darn fine game. How much are you going to spend if your considering this game though? Well the cheapest I could find at the moment was an English cart only copy for £20 with people asking up to £40 for a loose cart in some instances, a Japanese loose cartridge is closer to £10 but of course you'll need a modified system or a converter, its not like the in game text or anything is really needed so you could easily play and finish a Japanese copy. It might be worth looking at wrongly labelled auctions as I actually got my copy cheaper due to someone listing it as the previous Pop'n Twinbee game (they gave the name of that game but a picture of this cartridge).

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Congrats on reaching game 100 kerr!

I'm definitely in the group of people that have never even heard of Rainbow Bell Adventures

IronHide

Post by IronHide » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:47 pm

I played the original Pop n' TwinBee quite a bit during a holiday to Spain as there was an arcade next to the hotel which had loads of obscure games amongst the ubiquitous SFII, Outrun and TMNT/Simpsons 4 player machines of the early 90's.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks OR.. I have to admit there have been a lot of times I didnt think I would reach 100. It sounds easy in principle but then you sit playing a bad game not liking it but trying to review it and be fair, or there are games that you just dont know how to review because you think with the subject matter the review will end up as dull as dishwater...

I did have plans to hit 150 and then do the same for Megadrive/Genesis but 100 SNES games has me pretty warn out lol

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:39 pm

I remember seeing TwinBee being advertised in the old NMS, although because Manga was completely new to me at that time, I had no idea what to make of it.
ImageImage
Dig Dug wrote:Highlight nailed that.