150 Snes Games at the speed I can handle

Your link to the past. Talk about anything to do with games or consoles from years gone by.
kerr9000

Re: 150 Snes Games at the speed I can handle

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:32 pm

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (known in Japan as Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyūshutsu Emaki?) is an action adventure game for 1-2 players made by Konami. It was released for the Super NES in 1991 and was I would argue one of a kind.

It was the first game in the Japanese video game series Ganbare Goemon to have a western release. With its blend of action, humour, mini games and bizarreness it is kind of a small miracle that it ever made it out of Japan but even though this may be prematurely giving the game away I have to say it is one of my most loved Super Nintendo games.

The game has two main different styles of gameplay but then there is also a sprinkling of simple mini games and distractions. The first is sort of like a beat-'em-up as you as Kid Ying (aka Goemon) or you and a friend as Kid Ying and Dr Yang explores towns, fight enemies and visits shops. One shop see’s you able to seek employment, you can do a painting task which is basically an excuse to let you play snake, then there is whack a mole and if you can manage to do well at them you can make a nice little pile of money. This can then be spent in other shops where you can buy food to increase your energy or shoes to help you jump higher in the latter platforming-focused parts. The second part of the levels The platforming like sections attempting 2D side-scrolling stages that play in a way which will feel familiar to fans of other Konami franchises like Contra and Castlevania. You move from left to right, making jumps, hitting enemies and trying to make your way to the boss.

The games story is all about Kid Ying’s quest to save the kidnapped Princess Yuki, yes this may seem like an average boring plot but the game is just so fun and so silly that you can’t help but fall in love with it. Cut scenes are illustrated vibrantly, with large, comical characters bursting at the seams with the kind of personality not often seen outside of the very best cartoons. The soundtrack, in this game is also worthy of praise it is quite simply superb. You'd struggle to find many superior scores in the SNES library. It is up there with the likes of Mario World, F Zero, Zelda a link to the past and I believe that this is true of the game itself.

The game's greatest selling point without a shadow of a doubt is its co-operative play. Yes it is still a good game if you decide to attempt it on your own but with a friend it is so much more, you will laugh together compete while trying to earn cash at mini game but ultimately work together to try and beat the game. I played this game off and on for years at both home and at my friend’s house the little animations between levels had us in tears, kid Ying would be in a raft while Dr Yang swam behind him being chased by a shark for example, it was the brilliant little subtle bits the looks on characters faces, there is just such attention to small details.

The controls are so perfect that there is no real need to talk about them, they just work, you never feel like any hit or death was anything apart from your own fault, the game also has a great learning curve, it gets very hard latter but the first few levels help build you up and get ready for the challenges that will face you.
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is a brilliantly fun, wonderfully colourful, and extremely challenging in the latter stages adventure. It is a hard game to criticise, I could tell you of the hundreds and hundreds of times when I have played the early levels of it again and again and that I have only ever finished it once and that might sound bad, but it’s not. Every moment spent messing around on this game was a moment of pure joy. Unlike a lot of comedy games that are released this one is actually funny, and not chuckle funny, it is seriously laugh out loud funny at times.

I would give this game 9 out of 10 and strongly recommend it. If you want to play it then it will cost you about 30quid for a pal cart, about 20 for a usa one and more if you want it boxed. It is worth this amount but it is also available on the Wii virtual console which would offer some people a much cheaper and easier way to try it.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:41 am

I didn't realise there was a Goemon game on the Super NES, the first games from that franchise i was aware of were on the N64.
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:49 am

There were a couple of Goemon games on the snes but only the first got released outside of Japan. I think there were two direct sequels and then some side puzzle game type things on the SNES alone.

The Snes one is awesome though well worth looking up

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:20 pm

yeah great game. love the fact you can play the first level of gradius too

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 pm

RPM Racing (short for Radical Psycho Machine Racing) is a Super Nintendo Entertainment System racing game developed by a company which still exists but most people have probably never heard of Silicon & Synapse they are now known as Blizzard Entertainment a name most people will be a lot more familiar with. The game was published by Interplay (who many of you may know as the original creators of the fallout series).
A lot of people won’t have heard of RPM but even those who have will not realise the connections it has to other racing games. RPM was basically an enhanced remake of a Commodore 64 program called Racing Destruction Set which was developed by Electronic Arts in 1985. It also has a much more famous and well known sequel which quite a few of you will have at least heard of, if not played.

RPM was one of the first SNES games developed in 'High Resolution Graphics Mode. This mode was supposed to allow for sharper details but at the expense of the number of colours used. It was a very early release in general
The logic engine and track editor for RPM were apparently ported almost directly from the previously mentioned Racing Destruction Set with only some modification to get it running on the 16-bit SNES.

Graphically, this game just looks very basic. At first it doesn’t look to bad but you will soon notice that all the tracks conform to a basic kit format. You have green grass which represents the areas outside of the track, and then the tracks are made up of a mix of dark grey pavement, brown for the dirt sections, a bit of blue for ice, and light grey cement columns which prop up the raised areas. The repetitive scenery soon kind of grates on you, it practical but a little boring.

The Sound is so boring and unmemorable you will forget about it the second you turn the game off, the effects are passable but that’s the best I can say about them.

You are probably waiting for the point at which I say the game is saved by its story or its playability well in all honesty there is no real storyline at all, can’t complain too much as many good racers have had no story at all. You know you are supposed to win and in a good game that can be enough.

The game goes a bit like this you start the game with nearly $5,000 this is just enough to buy a car but this is ok as the first few races are free to enter. The payout for the free to enter races isn’t great but you soon earn enough to pay the small entry fee to other races which have much better payouts if you win.

You then spend your time managing your funds, how much do you spend on upgrading your car and how much do you hold back to pay entrance fee’s As you progress to higher and higher levels, the pay-outs become increasingly larger, but the game naturally gets harder and harder. In order to earn cash, you must finish in the top 3 or you won’t win anything meaning if you have paid an entrance fee you will in fact loose cash.

So where does the Psycho of the title come in to it you might be asking? Well as well as buying upgrades you can buy Nitro boosts, mines and oil slicks. If you use them well they might help you if used well but you will have to buy them again if you want to use them in a following race. Yes you can you lay mines and oil but so can your opponents. If you run over a mine, either one planted by the cpu or one of your own your car explodes. This doesn’t kill you though, you just wait a few seconds before your car reappears and you can continue racing. Oil slicks will cause you to skid out of control again wasting time.

One sort of different thing is that you don’t have to race every track. It is all about making enough cash to buy your way up the levels, so if you find one track per level that your unbeatable at there is nothing to stop you just hammering this one again and again for maximum profit.

The main problem this game suffers from in my opinion though is a complete absence of the feeling of speed. You literally feel like your crawling around the tracks when compared to other racers, but there is still something there, the hint of greatness. If the game could be just a little more exciting, a little more colourful, if it could just feel a little faster something in you tells you that it could be a darn good game.

This is where the Sequel comes in to play. If I was to tell you that at one stage RPM Racing 2 was in the works you would probably ask well why haven’t I heard of it? What went wrong? Nothing went wrong however it just got a new name and had heaps of colour and style thrown on to it… The Sequel was called Rock and Roll racing.

Should you buy RPM? That depends. Do you enjoy games even if they have faults? Are you interested in seeing the way that a game develops? RPM is an average game a 5 out of 10 but as a prototype for rock and roll racing it is a curious piece of video game history. RPM as far as I know never got a pal release, it only came out in America and Japan. The American version is seldom seen on these shores so you would most likely be looking at either importing it or waiting and checking ebay again and again until one comes up for sale. It is not on any download service as far as I know and this is very unlikely to change in the future. Take my Advice look for Rock and Roll racing instead it’s a much better game

D.J

Post by D.J » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:47 am

When it comes to the Super NES, i always found that unless mode 7 is used (like MK, Exhaust Heat, F-Zero, or the brilliant Street Racer), a lot of racers aren't really all that great.

You do get the odd decent non mode 7 title (such as Nigel Mansells World Championship), but i personally found back in the day, that once i tried a mode 7 racer, i didn't really want anything else.
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 am

I have talked about lot of games which happen to be on multiple platforms often this has either been a game which is on both the snes and the megadrive, or a game that originated on the amiga and then finally made its way to the SNES as well as just about every other machine known to man.

Now I am going to start with some clues/information about the game and see how quickly anyone who is reading this can guess what the game is.

The game I am going to talk about now was on the SNES and the Megadrive and it was one of those games which didn’t try to be the same on both system, no both versions were very different, it was also however on the NES.

The NES version of this game was the final game Konami released for the platform in both North America and Europe in 1994. The Nes version of this game was also the only version of this game to not be released in Japan.
The character roster is different in each of the 3 versions as is the story.

If you know this game then this will be the clue that defiantly lets you know what this game is. The game came out during the one on one fighter boom and has been referred to by some as a street fighter clone.

In case you haven’t realized it I am talking about Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles: Tournament Fighters as it was called in Europe. In the USA it was called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters, and in Japan it was known as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Warriors. Now with a lot of games the name will be the same in the UK and the USA but the reason for the change here had very little to do with the games designers.
Apparently those in control of the media in the UK decided that the term “ninja” was too violent, and ninjas were too violent of a subject expose children to. So the turtles became Heroes as this was much less violent. The censorship of the original cartoons didn’t end there though. Michelangelo one of the turtles chosen weapons were nunchakus and they were deemed to be too violent. The other turtles used a staff, a pair of swords and a pair of Sai which we all know are far less deadly weapons made from cotton wool and fairy kisses. It didn’t even stop here though. Eventually further editing would result in the loss of the turtles “Let's kick shell!” battle cry being removed as it was also apparently far too violent and we lost the use of the term “Bummer” due to the fact that in the UK, "bumming" is a slang word for anal sex and the term "bummer" was use by some as slang for somebody who likes to partake in this. Yes I have digressed a little in to a moan about censorship. Thankfully by the time we got to this game even though the term heroes was kept Mikey was allowed to use his nunchakus.

I grew up with the turtles, they were everywhere when I was a youngster, they had their own TV show, there on series of films, their own series of NES games, a whole line of toys and then the usual lunchboxes, sweets, pencils. They had a SNES game an amazing walk along beat em up which I wish I still owned but I had largely grown out of them by the time Tournament fighters was announced. Yeah I still knew who they were, still played the arcade game every chance I could get but they weren’t the center of my life anymore. The very second this game was announced people began talking about how it was just another street fighter 2 rip off, and that it would be a babyish piece of trash which could never hope to even approach any of the brilliance of Capcom’s classic title yet I saw the name Konami and I didn’t doubt for one moment that it would be something special. I remember getting it one year for my birthday, I didn’t wait for it to be cheap or anything I just said to my mum ‘’mum I need this game, I would like it for my birthday’’ without ever having played it, I don’t think I even waited for a review score and this is very not me, usually I want everything for as little as possible and only if I know what I am getting myself into. I got it for my birthday and immediately started playing it.

So yes it is a ‘‘Street Fighter II'' rip-off and if you want to rip into this game that would be one of the best places to start. It is a 2d one on one fighter, carton based graphics, there are moves which are basically this games versions of fire balls and dragon punches but once you get past the games origin there is not much to moan about at all. Back in the day you got fighter after fighter made by Capcom they were pretty much the kings of the whole genre, then you got Midways Mortal Kombat and of course there were the Neo Geo snk games. There was also a lot of broken fighters trying to ride on the back of this popularity wave but Konami really surfer over the top of all of this floatsam and jetsam so much so that I have to say that it is a real pity that they didn’t try more often as they could really have given Capcom some good competition.

You might think that the fact the turtles use weapons would change things but they don’t really, beyond how it looks they might as well be punching each other. There are plenty of modes such as Story mode, Tournmanet mode, Vs. Mode, ''Watch'' mode, basically everything you could hope for from a fighter at this games time of release.

The turtles themselves are all great to control, they kind of come across as the middle fighters you know the sort medium power, medium speed but other than this they all feel very different, which is a surprise as I was expecting them to be largely palette swaps with different weapons painted on top. From the point of view of a turtles fan some of the choices for other characters might be strange there is the robot turtle Chrome Dome, the Rat King and Shredder. Beyond this though some of the other characters seem slightly strange choices either having been made for the game or only having featured in the comics and not the TV show. You have the bat-like Wingnut, the Shark Armaggedon, a demonic long-clawed creature called War, a female Ninja who looks a bit like a SNK character who snuck her way in to the game. Some characters were held back and instead feature in the Megadrive and Nes versions (each version has a different roster) but you cant help but stop and wonder who the heck is this tit and where is Bebop and rocksteady, where are Casie Jones and Baxter Stockman. Yes other characters appear in the background street fighter 2 style but you would expect from a marketing point of view that they would slam the most well known characters in to the game not lesser known comic based ones.

Graphics look great they are bright colorful and full of detail, I would say that it is one area in which the game clearly gives the street fighter 2 games of the time a nice sound pounding. The Music is pretty good as well it fits within the game and gets you in the mood but there is nothing there which would rival the likes of street fighter tunes, nothing you will find yourself humming in the shower really it’s just fine functional stuff.
Overall this is one of THE best fighting games on the SNES

Apparently though despite getting mostly rave reviews due to certain factors such as bad timing it didn't sell anywhere near as well as it should have. Now I love street fighter 2 world warriors and I feel that with each version Capcom got better and better but I cant help but wonder what Konami could have achieved if this thing had sold like hot cakes. It was basically there first attempt at doing something like this and I think they beat world warrior and depending on the day of the week you ask me I might even say this is better than turbo (today I would), so what would we have got if they had carried on and perfected the formula with a sequel or two? I guess we will never know

I give this game an 8.5 out of 10. It is a brilliant game and if you want to play it then most likely due to licenses and such you will have to track down an original cart. Unfortunately the game seems to now be around 20 to 25quid on ebay just for a cart but if you’re a fan of one on one fighters I think it’s worth it.

I realise that with switching from one forum to another people might not realise this is game number 61 in my series of SNES reviews. So here is the link to my blog featuring all of the old ones. http://kerr9000.blog.co.uk/

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:42 am

I managed to get back on at just the right time. Turtles on the Snes was (and still is marvelous - imo). The brightness of the cartoon with all the fight action of the original film. Back in the day it wasn't expected to have a good game to go with a film you liked of the same name. This was one of a handful of games that bucked the trend.

(Now to play catch up and read the other reviews I missed).
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:09 pm

i thought this turtles game was a rip off of streetfighter too, how wrong i was! so much depth to this game,glad i still got my snes copy. i play it regular still, alongside un squadron

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:48 pm

I had planned to try and keep this positive. I had enjoyed the original arcade machine as a young child at the end of various peers and in the back of the occasional family pub, chip shop etcetera. I wanted to be fair but when I put it in the cartridge slot I noticed a sticker on the back of my cartridge a sticker for how much someone had paid for this game once upon a time in dollars, this sticker says $15 and bearing in mind the sticker is on the actual cart I am going to assume they paid this for just the cartridge. I was lucky in that I spent 1pound on it.

Pit-Fighter was originally a 1990 arcade game by Atari Games. It featured characters who were created by capturing the movements of real people and then putting them into the game and this was pre mortal kombat. Pit fighter as far as I know was the second fighting game to use digitized sprites the first being a game which never reached our shores. When I first saw it in the arcade it looked amazing now days it looks very choppy but the SNES version now that never looked good in the first place. If you take Mortal Kombats conversion from the arcade to the SNES and look at it for the moment ignoring the lack of blood on focusing on everything else then you will see that while there are some subtle differences which let you know that the SNES version is a slightly cut down version, you would probably note that if you were not comparing them side by side then most likely no reasonable person would really notice the difference. In comparison to this though Pit fighter on the SNES stands out like a sore thumb. The difference between them looks about as vast as it would if you tried to port Super Mario 64 on to the NES but at least that would probably still play well.

Now the arcade pit fighter wasn’t exactly a masterpiece. It was a fun violent little fighting game which was better in premise than it was in execution. I think I mostly enjoyed it because I got to play it with my brother and it reminded me of some of the films I had watched as a kid for example Blood sport starring Jean-Claude Van Damme. The SNES game as well as having inferior graphics, no real presentation or music seems to have far more hit and miss style gameplay. The arcade machine was tough but it felt beatable, you'd shove 20pence piece after 20pence piece into it convinced that you could reach the end. With the SNES version however you get no continues, you are expected to defeat the whole game on one credit which in a good game like street fighter 2 would be a challenge trying to do this on SNES Pit fighter though is like trying to punch your way through a solid brick wall, hard painful and an exercise in futility.

I try to not be an angry reviewer and to give everything its fair chance but this has to be the worst SNES game I have played so far I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it under almost any circumstances, if you’re a collector and you see it for 1quid and plan to throw it in the cupboard with some of your other games and just forget about it then yeah sure, but if you are looking for something worth more than this or which you plan to play save yourself the bother… 0.5 out of 10….

D.J

Post by D.J » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:38 pm

I have to agree with this review, Pit Fighter really was a grade A stinker.
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:21 pm

“I was also playing the Willow arcade game, which inspired me to push the visual quality on the SNES above other games. I wanted it to be as good a side-scroller as Contra or Castlevania, with the visual quality of arcade games such as Willow’’

Now the above quote is from one of the people responsible for the game I am going to talk about now and it seems rather fitting. When I first played this game it reminded me a little bit of a mix between Grazor (the spectrum version of contra) and Turrican (which I had played on the amiga). If you know these games then you will probably be able to see these connections as soon as I name the game the Willow factor needs a little bit of an explanation however.

Most of you will probably know that Willow was a fantasy film starring Warwick Davies. A lot of people though don’t even realise that it had an arcade game made from it. It was a side scrolling adventure game following the plot of the movie, it had nice bright cartoon style graphics which really showed off the characters, you could instantly recognise who was who and what was supposed to be what.

This is what they wanted to achieve they wanted to take a very famous film and turn it into a game, a game which would be full of action but have character models who were instantly recognisable, the game I am talking about is SUPER STARWARS.

The first thing I feel I need to talk about is the presentation. Thegame succeeds in recreating the atmosphere of the film remarkably well, it has all of the little touches you could possibly want such as the opening text crawl the Lucas-esque screen wipes and the wonderful 16bit rendition of John Williams’ classic music.

Super Starwars sort of follows the plot of the film the levels are based in the right places and there are story-progressing cut-scenes. Some things have been altered though but in ways which will make it work as a game. For example the Jawa’s holding R2D2 just happen for some unknown reason to keep a Lava Beast in the basement floor of their sandcrawler as a pet and you have to murder it. You can see why this was added though, it was to put a boss encounter into this stage of the game, in much the same way as a parts of a book will be altered to better suit the medium of film here the film has been changed to suit a video game. You can tell though that the team which worked on this game took a great deal of pride in it and really attempted to present something which would be both an authentic a Star Wars experience as well as just a darn good game.

The team used actual reference materials and photos from Lucasfilm’s photo library, and took pictures of the actual movie models from the Lucas Archives for reference purposes and I think this really shows in the final product. Nothing else on any console at the time seemed to show this level of dedication and with a few notable exceptions (Alien Isolation for example) you would be hard pressed to find a modern game which has this much attention to detail.

One of the things that people talk about a lot with this game is the difficulty. It is often called a hard game but I don’t really think it is necessarily that bad. I think there is a definite issue with its difficulty curve, the problem being that it gets far too hard to quickly for the average player. The difficulty seems to curve straight up into the air and into a brick wall in one far from smooth movement. Once you get past a certain point though it seems to get easier again, it goes from hair pulling to just a nice challenge. I guess someone needed to do a little more play testing on it to iron this blip out. There are a few moments where one tiny miss step can lead to you falling back to the bottom of a bunch of stuff you have been climbing and it’s not that it’s hard to get back up it’s just that if this happens to you a couple of times in a row it can be enough to make you invent new swear words, on playing this game for review I let scream with the term ‘’you god damn nerf turd burglar.’’

In conclusion, I love this game, it is one of the best movie games available on the Super Nintendo and after reviewing something as awful as pitfighter playing this was a real breathe of fresh air. I would give the game a 8 out of 10, I am teetering on the very edge of giving it a 9 but I can’t help but admit it has certain issues particularly with the difficulty curve which will provide a barrier from some people fully enjoying it. The game was released on to the virtual console on the Wii so that is one option if you would like to try it, as always another option is to try to track down a physical copy to play on the SNES. A cart of super Star Wars will cost around 10pounds which I feel is very reasonable for this game.

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:58 pm

I own the Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES (first 2 boxed, 3rd just the cart, got em all cheap cheap cheap lol), and I WANT to like the games... but dammit they are too hard for me and I can't get far enough into the games to actually start liking them :P.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:03 am

I own the first one boxed and I own the 3rd one as a cart.. I dont own the second but I have played it a lot. I completed the first one quite a few times, its not to hard a game it just has a bad difficulty curve, I think I struggled more with some early stuff than the end of the game.

D.J

Post by D.J » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:32 pm

The Super Star Wars Trilogy did gain my interest at the time, but sadly, it wasn't a series that i ever had a chance to try.
ImageImage

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:01 am

Fantastic thread, keep up the good work!

Pit Fighter is genuinely one of the worst games of all time. I remember seeing it for the first time in Butlin's where I used to take my family holiday every Autumn. It looked like garbage, it played like garbage. Thinking about it, the guy running that arcade must've known his stuff because it seemed like he split it into a "good games" and "dreadful games" section. On the left would be Pit Fighter and Moonwalker, and on the right was Super Mario World, Alien vs Predator and a 4-player Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles sidescroller. Speaking of which...

Tournament Fighters was a game I picked up because (to my shame!) I mistook it for "Turtles in Time", which I have been regularly informed is an amazing game. In fact, many have called it the best side-scrolling beat-'em-up of all time (although I would introduce such people to Streets of Rage 2 and then see what they say). As for Tournament Fighters itself, it's not bad, but performing many of the special moves is quite difficult, and it lacks the polish and crisp control of Street Fighter II. Also I find it amusing that the map screen guys and the stage designers definitely didn't liase with each other, as you can select "Texas" or "California" and have the stage look like Ancient Greece or a Japanese cherry blossom garden!

And didn't I tell you Super Star Wars was great, huh? Huh? ;)
ImageImage
Dig Dug wrote:Highlight nailed that.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 am

Star Wars was my first big collecting hobby, I have a bunch of the old figures including some still in packaging Including a still in pack 1985 Anakin Skywalker (how he looked as a ghost at the end of the original version of return of the jedi) So im very fond of it, and Super Starwars was the first home game that was amazing...to be fair some of the atari 2600 Star Wars games wernt to bad.

I havent even turned the Snes on since writing the last review. I started out with such an urge to do this but I as always seem to spread myself a little to thin. At one stage I had so many projetcs on the go I didnt know what I was on with, I was writing under my own name, under a pen name, writing these reviews, modding consoles. My health with my epilepsy is always an up and down thing... one day I will feel fine, the next day I will have a bad fit and then want to do nothing but sleep for a week.

I really need to get this back on track and really appreciate your post as its always good to know people read the reviews when I get around to them.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Game 64

If I was to tell you that the Snes Game I recently played and I am here reviewing for you was a light gun game, then you would most likely assume that I own a super scope and that I was maybe playing the super scope 6 cartridge, Yoshi safari or Battle Clash. I don’t own a super scope though, I have the receiver box, the super scope 6 cart and Battle clash but I have no memory of what happened to the actual scope itself. No the game I have been playing is Lethal Enforcers.

Lethal Enforcers is a 1992 light gun based shooting game released originally in the arcades by Konami. The in-game graphics consist entirely of digitized photographs. This game caused controversy when it came out basically got it allowing you to shoot photorealistic representations of bad guys. If anything though as is usually the case the controversy only helped it gain popularity and it was soon converted for home systems including the Super NES, the Sega Mega Drive and the Sega Mega CD. Rather than adopt the game to use the light guns which these systems already possessed though Konami decided to produce its own special bun and include it with the game. This was a revolver-shaped light gun known as the Konami Justifier, it was about as close as you can get to the gun used in the arcade machine, the only real difference being the weight (the home version is much lighter).

I don’t remember anyone owning this game back in the day for the SNES, in fact I don’t even remember seeing it for sale on a store shelf. The only place I ever saw it was on the shelves of a video rental store with the name Video City. Now Video city was a great place it was a sort of independent Blockbusters rip off which was on the border of the next small village from the one I grew up in. You could walk there if you had about an hour and a half to spare, so sometimes when there was nothing better to do me and a few friends would walk down partly just to rent something, partly for something to do. I got to experience quite a few SNES, Megadrive and latter PS1 games through this place because not only did it have very low rental prices and a great selection it also had some of the very best promotions. Every Christmas they would put up decorations and the decorations included a tree on the counter. Now this tree would be covered in small folded tickets and you could buy the tickets for a small price something like 50pence. Now every ticket was a winner. I remember winning a T shirt for the film blown Away, the novelisation of Basic Instinct, lots of other promotional things and a whole bunch of free rentals.
It was because of this place that I got to play Out to Lunch. The Firemen and countless other games I might otherwise have not experienced. On one fateful day though I turned up to rent a few games and they were selling off there Megadrive and Snes games to make way for Playstation games. I can’t remember everything I got but I remember getting both Lethal Enforcers and Out to lunch. Lethal Enforcers cost me about 10quid for the game and the gun.
As for the game itself the graphics are great. The game’s backgrounds look photorealistic, and are full of details even if you can tell some bits are repeated again and again (You can see the same few store/building names fly past again and again while your shooting from a car). The enemies in the game look exactly the same as the arcade’s cardboard cut-outs. It is a very faithful adaption of the arcade machine the only real difference being the typical Nintendo effect (the blood effects in the game have been changed to sweat just like in mortal kombat), and while this is a little disappointing ,it doesn’t really alter anything.
The game’s sound is pretty darn good. The gunhsot sounds are perfect, they are very realistic for a videogame particular for one of this age. The characters in the game all have realistic voices; but its more than that there is a real attention to detail the enemies sound like the bad guys you would expect, and the victims sound truly terrified this really adds to the games presentation.

The gameplay is as simple as can be. You shoot at the bad guys and try to hit them before they hit you while trying to avoid hitting any civilians. The gameplay is fast and frenetic. Enemies appear directly in front of you or in the distance, in window etcetera. You can shoot a bullet that is shot at you, or you can make sure you take out the enemy before they manage to get a shot off, get them before they get you it’s as simple as that.
The game is your standard arcade shooter you have a limited number of levels to complete each with a boss and this won’t take you long to do at all. You will see everything this game has to offer very quickly. Nothing has really been added to the arcade machine to give it any more lasting appeal once it’s in your home.
The game works very well with the gun but obviously you need to use an old TV. I had to go round to my brothers with the SNES in a backpack to play this again as I no longer have a CRT Television in my house and one day with them not being produced and parts becoming rarer no one will. The game does work with a pad but its just not the same what is a fast game of quick responses becomes rather slow and clunky.

It’s a crying shame that this game and its sequel never got either ported to the wii, I suppose there is already a lot of completion there with the house of the dead games and ghost squad, Mad Dog Mcree and all of the other various lightgun games but I would have loved to have seen this come out.

So should you buy this game? It’s a tough call there are very similar games available for the Wii as well as the PS3 (time crisis). Well the cheapest I have seen the cart and the gun go for is about 25quid but remember you need an old style TV as well this could get you a whole pile of Wii gun games. I would give lethal enforcers a 7. It’s a lot of fun but only in short bursts and you have to go through a fair bit of trouble to play it now.

D.J

Post by D.J » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:35 am

There was a time when i really wanted a light gun game, but the likes of this and (later) Time Crisis came and went without me having the chance to try them.

In the end, my first experience of the genre was actually Die Hard 2 (from the PS1 Die Hard Trilogy game), but the light gun available at that time was surprisingly heavy which made playing it a rather achey experience after a while.
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:09 pm

Bomberman can best be described as a strategic, maze-based battle game. I will mostly be talking about the first SNES version but it’s important to realise how long running the franchise is. The first Bomberman game was originally developed by Hudson Soft and was released in 1983 for the MSX, NEC PC-8801, NEC PC-6001, Sharp MZ-700 and FM-7 in Japan, and for the MSX and ZX Spectrum in Europe. Believe it or not we were not introduced to the game as bomberman though, it was sold in the UK under the title ‘’Eric and the Floaters’’, and in Spain as Don Pepe Y Los Globos (which translates to something on the lines of Don Pepe and the Globe).

Bomberman has featured in over 70 different games on numerous systems he has also been the star of several anime and manga series. The series is still doing well it had an impressive xbox live online game and has even more recently there has been a new iOS game released. His franchise is one of the most commercially successful of all time. It didn’t really enter my life until a Japanese copy of the original game graced the shelf’s of my local video game store. Now the cover was inviting but then very few games have bad Japanese cover art so I wasn’t going to let that sway me in to a purchase. I picked up the box and looked at the graphics on the back and liked what I saw but I did wonder if there would be any language barrier, sounds silly mentioning that now but at the time I didn’t know how simple a game it would be. I had also spent 5pounds on some Japanese Megadrive game a week or two before to learn that it was completely in Japanese and so text heavy that I couldn’t do anything on it. Bomberman was also a lot more, it was about 20pounds.

Now days I would go home and jump on the internet and been able to find out a whole pile of information on the game but back then this wasn’t an option. So I did what you used to do back then and that was looked hard at the box until I gathered my thoughts and feelings together and took the plunge.

The basic gameplay of Super Bomberman is pretty darn simple, I think this is one of the cases where you really can use the old chestnut ‘’easy to pick up difficult to master’’. The gameplay in this title takes place on a single non-scrolling screen. The gameplay happens in an arena and you can basically see the whole arena in a top down viewpoint, you can move horizontally or vertically around this arena but you won’t get far before finding your way blocked by a wall. Pressing the 'A' button will make your character drop a bomb at his feet. There will be a period of time in which the bomb will get ready to explode, you will get used to watching its animations and knowing how long you have left, so you drop it next to a piece of wall or an enemy and make sure your well out of the way before it goes off. The basic idea is to kill everything else whether this is other players in multiplayer or creatures in single player before you get killed. It is not quite this simple though, not only are there various icons to pick up which will either allow you to drop extra bombs or alter the radius of the bombs blast as well as differ your abilities in other ways but If a bomb explodes and the flame hits another bomb it will cause this second bomb to detonate early. This is where the game starts to be far from simple as with multiple bombs and power ups you can either intentionally or accidentally cause large chain reactions in an attempts to get your opponents.

The story mode in bomberman is playable and can be ok but really it’s not the kind of thing most people are going to invest a lot of time in. The story is a bunch of poor kiddy TV trash really, but I would tell most people to play a little bit of it, just enough to get used to how your character moves, get used to dropping bombs and seeing what there blast radius is, how to avoid the explosions basically just as a bit of practice to take you into the multiplayer with a decent foundation on how the gameplay works. The multiplayer of this game is the real game, this is what you want to buy the title for. You could either buy it with a multi tap or buy one separately either way it was possible to play this game with 3 of your friends and when you had all gotten a hang of the controls it could turn in to a wonderful game. It was a real edge of the seat competitive sofa based game. I can remember being in parties where there would be about 7 of us sat there 4 playing, the others waiting for their turn in winner stays on home tournaments. When people got good at it then it could become a real tense battle, person against person mind against mind reflex against reflex. This is where I have to mention the music, it was brilliant little tunes full of excitement which really went well with the on screen action.

So should you buy Super Bomberman for your SNES? Well it is a great game at least for multiplayer if you have friends willing to play with you I could happily give this game a 9 maybe even a 10 (it would score nowhere near as high as this as a single player game). Well its price changes wildly I have seen copies of the cart on its own go for about 10quid but then I have seen carts go for as high as 30. Then factor in the fact that if you want to play it with friends then you’re going to need a multitap, the cheapest available for sale I have seen is around the 15quid mark and then of course you need enough pads to fill the taps ports. Bomberman has had a lot of sequels and they are all very similar, and they are pretty much all brilliant Bomberman Live can be got on the Xbox 360 Live service for 6.75 and you will not need a multitap and your much more likely to have friends who can bring their pads around. So In this case unless you’re a die hard collector then I would go for a more modern version of this game.

D.J

Post by D.J » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Bomberman is one of the finest multiplayer titles of all time.

I had both this installment, the even better sequel, and a PS1 version i spotted one day for a tenner in Woolworths.

One thing i did find tricky though, was getting hold of the Super Multitap add on which allowed for 4 player gameplay, i first bought a third party one, but found that it didn't even work! Eventually, i managed to track down the official Hudson Soft one, and once i did, i never looked back (well, until my Super NES died on me in 1996 anyways).
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:58 pm

I have the official Hudson soft one, the long one (not the one that looks like bombermans face) ...most people I know had the Honest FSC5 tap though as yeah the real one didnt seem to be about that much.

D.J

Post by D.J » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:57 am

I didn't even know that they'd produced a different one until i looked it up just now.

I also found this, it's the third party multitap which i bought, set up, and found that it didn't even work with Bomberman...

Oh and on a seperate note, remember when Sony produced this for the PS1?...

I'm not sure if i ever actually saw one in the shops, but i do know that when the PS1 first came out, multiplayer games were rare anyways as Sony decided to implament a LAN system using a link cable (a very expensive method of play, which took the idea of online gaming and tried to adapt it for a non-online world, trouble is you needed two consoles, two TV's, and two copies of the game).
ImageImage

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:58 pm

I have a ps1 multi tap but cant remember what it looks like. I think Codemasters where the king of Multi tap technology with there J carts on Megadrive.. basically they put extra pad ports directly into the games cartridge which I thought was a really interesting way of looking at the problem.

I played a bunch of the PS1 Lan games back in the day remember playing a lot of Doom and Final Doom as well as a bit of some karting game. It was usually a case of id plug my machine up to the main TV then a friend would bring his ps1 round and we would grab a 14inch portable and plug them up.

D.J

Post by D.J » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:02 pm

The Codemasters J-Cart was a work of sheer genius, though on the only opportunity i had to use it with Micro Machines 2, my idiot friend brought round two master system controllers to plug into it.

Funnily enough though, they worked, though sadly, only allowed the cars to reverse, so we were sat there playing the game with 4 players reversing their vehicles around the track (harder than it sounds too).
ImageImage