Welcome to Super ONM! Forums are Live!

Welcome to Super ONM! Introduce yourself and read the rules.
OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Welcome to Super ONM! Forums are Live!

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:39 pm

*** Forums are now open! ***

Welcome to the Super ONM forums, the community-made, unofficial (but moderator backed) successor to the Official Nintendo Magazine forums. To everyone choosing to make the transition over from ONM, thank you! Hopefully you'll immediately feel right at home with the board's look and feel, and help kick this place off to a great start in this new chapter for our community. To any old members returning to ONM after hearing about the closure, welcome back! It's great to see you again, and we all hope you settle back in and that we see you around the forums. And finally, if you are a new member (how did you find us so quick, you wily person you!) then a very warm welcome to our little corner of the internet! We're sure you'll find SONM a great place to be.

We know you've probably got a lot of questions about all sorts of things, so we have put together a little FAQ that should hopefully answer most of them. If you are still wondering something about how the new forums are going to work after having a read through, go ahead and ask and we'll answer as best as we can.

Why can't I post anywhere?
You should now be able to post! For the initial transition period between ONM and SONM we have limited everyone to only being able to post in the Welcome and Feedback subforums. This is for two main reasons - 1) it helps us test the server load to make sure that everything works fine before opening the proverbial floodgates by letting everyone post everywhere, and 2) it eases the transition between forums by letting the majority of people sign up before all topics and discussion start moving over. Feel free to post inside the welcome subforum of course, and if you do come across any issues (be they with how the forum is displayed, the sign-up process or whatever it may be) please do bring up the issue in FF&T. In about a weeks time after we first open for registration we'll open up the entire forums for people to post in, so that should give you plenty of time to copy across any OPs or threads that you want to save from ONM!
What's with the name?
SONM stands for Super ONM. Because, obviously, it's just super. Also, coming from a Nintendo background, giving the next version of something the super prefix makes a lot of sense (we're talking about the SNES here, if you didn't figure that out). As you wisely noticed, we are also no longer related to the Official Nintendo Magazine, so the ONM in our name actually stands for "Online Nintendo Messageboards". But please, just ONM does fine.

Oh, and before someone says it (as they inevitably will), the S-word prefix to ONM is not indicative in any way of the forum quality - but well done, you comedic genius you!

Why didn't we consult with the entire community on the name? Most simply, it just wasn't practical. To open the name debate to the whole community would have meant weeks of discussion and voting - time we just didn't have. With the incredibly short notice we were on as a team to get a replacement forum up and running we had to come to a choice of name quickly and decisively, and SONM was the name that we as a team could all agree on. Also it makes for a super short url to type in to your browser, which is neat (see what I did there?).
Where is <x> forum? Can we have <y> forum? Can we get rid of <z>?
Deciding which forums to keep, which to bring in and which to lose basically came down to what was active on ONM and what we think the audience (that's you) wants. For example, we kept GNC because we know that GNC is a popular community, and we want to preserve that and keep it going! Not being under any official ONM rule now also means that we can have dedicated forums for non-Nintendo gaming, which improves greatly on the workaround of the old Tech forum. It also means that we are a lot more free to expand in new directions in the future! Here is a short break down of the major forum changes:

Wii U & 3DS forums - These were removed to fit all discussion about Nintendo into one place, and that place is the classic General Nintendo Chat.

Tech Forum - The Tech forum was removed and replaced by the Console Gaming section and PC Gaming sections. Any other Tech related discussion can go to Off Topic, like the good old days.

E3 2013 - This was the hardest decision for us but we ended up removing the E3 section as it was beginning to feel slightly out of date. Any E3 related discussion can go in the relevant gaming sections.

If there is enough demand for a new forum not here already, and it is one that will sustain itself in the long term with enough active topics to be worthy of it's own section, we will of course discuss adding it to the boards. Super ONM is run by the community, for the community, so your opinion really does count in things like this!

Likewise, we will only remove a forum if its activity is low and there's a suitable place for that forum's related discussion to move to. This will be a well thought out decision open to community input as we don't want to force any of our communities away.
Can I make <x> thread?
If you don't see a thread already here, go ahead and make it! Just bear in mind that if the thread already exists on ONM, the thread owner there has preference for ownership of the post here too, if they want it.
What's new with the forums?
Well, obviously, everything! But as you're probably asking about what new toys are available there are a couple worth mentioning.

First, you can now enter all of your relevant gaming IDs into your profile should you wish to, and this will make them appear both in your profile and next to your posts, underneath your post count. That makes it easier than ever to keep track of other people's online identities and add them on your console/service of choice, with no more worrying about fitting it into your signature!

Second, there are now some new BBCodes to help format your posts, should you wish to use them. These are as follows:

Code: Select all

[centre][/centre] - Centre text
[left][/left] - Left align text
[right][/right] - Right align text
[justify][/justify] - Justify text

[spoiler][/spoiler] - Spoiler box
[censor][/censor] - Censor text
[s][/s] - Strike Through text
[hr][/hr] - Horizontal rule
Who are the SONM mods/team?
You can check them out here! Essentially, we're made up of members from the mod team back on ONM, minus a few sadly lost to the mystical real world, so hopefully you recognise us all. As moderators we all want to see the forums continue to survive and even grow, which is why we have continued on our duties onto here. Also we all just like having our usernames in green like that - it would be weird to stop now.
Someone has taken my username! Help!
If you want to sign up with the same username you have on ONM, but someone else for whatever reason has already taken it, never fear! Contact one of the mods back on ONM, either by PM or by posting in the future forum thread over there, and we will sort it out for you so that you get your name.

If you have your name, but want to prove that it is you, for whatever reason, you can easily do so by posting both here and on ONM, linking both accounts together.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Re: Welcome to Super ONM!

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm

So, this is it huh?
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello, my name is Met and I am new here. I hope I get to meet a lot of new friends.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

MintChocChip
NNID: TSF
PSN ID: 4
Xbox Gamertag: LYF
Steam ID: thelethalgenius

Post by MintChocChip » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Hello Met I am new here too, shall we be friends?
fluffyKittan - He's used to sitting in teamspeak with us where people don't cry when somebody tells you to go drink some H2SO4 for being bad at what you're doing
regg - I entirely surrender to your superior wit.

ChainedTeapot
3DS Friend Code: 1392-5478-8699
PSN ID: Gill_91

Post by ChainedTeapot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Met wrote:Hello, my name is Met and I am new here. I hope I get to meet a lot of new friends.
asl?

Bes

Post by Bes » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Hello
Though my guards may sleep and ships may rest at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire

PiGreat
NNID: PiGreat
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5928-1641
PSN ID: PiGreat
Steam ID: PiGreat

Post by PiGreat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm back to mildly irritate you all. Hooray.
RichardUK wrote:I don't believe anyone is actually poor in this country
THE ADVENTURES OF A GUY ON HIS QUEST TO BECOME A WEEABOO | BONUS COMMENTARY | RANDOM eton mess[/centre]

Met

Post by Met » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:16 pm

ChainedTeapot wrote:
Met wrote:Hello, my name is Met and I am new here. I hope I get to meet a lot of new friends.
asl?
Enough/depends on the price/wherever I'm needed.
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

TamzehVB
NNID: RedGuard587
3DS Friend Code: 068855986231

Post by TamzehVB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 pm

Well, I'm here if anyone wants a mildly-obsessive Emolga fanboy to talk to. It's a very niche market.
Still looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
Sig by LightSamus
Inane Ramblings

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi I'm me.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm

I survived the changeover.

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm

but when can I make a thread?
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

Mr. Nintendo
3DS Friend Code: 457082120985
PSN ID: CJOM_
Steam ID: CJOM

Post by Mr. Nintendo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Nice place you got here.

LuiTheMinus
NNID: Luitheminus
3DS Friend Code: 147829577922
Steam ID: Lui_theMinus

Post by LuiTheMinus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi my name is Lui

I was inactive on ONM, maybe I won't be here I dunno maybe if Met allows it.

Cribs
Steam ID: Cribster18

Post by Cribs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:26 pm

its a revolution

Met

Post by Met » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:26 pm

As long as you continue the tributes, Lui.

Eddc15
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Eddc15 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:27 pm

I would like to congratulate chocolate-milk on managing to spell chocolate right this time.

pokemaniac212
NNID: onetruemaniac
3DS Friend Code: 506939914753
Steam ID: pokemaniac212

Post by pokemaniac212 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:28 pm

We're currently planning on opening up the full forum towards the end of the week, we'll keep you posted on that.

SamuriFerret

Post by SamuriFerret » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Exciting.

Pepsi Supreme
FKA Corin
Xbox Gamertag: Knight Corin
Steam ID: Corin

Post by Pepsi Supreme » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:29 pm

terrible

Tentacle

Post by Tentacle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Sup

Kaeetayel
NNID: Kaeetayel
3DS Friend Code: 3609-1396-4416
Steam ID: kaeetayel

Post by Kaeetayel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm

ohai

Ruari

Post by Ruari » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Last edited by Ruari on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elitist Pokeforum Scum
Hoyle: You aren’t particularly good at anything you do, but, bless you, you try.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:31 pm

Who the duck are you guys?
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad