How's Christmas season - when you don't celebrate Christmas?

Christmas forum 2014! Open for the entire festive season.
This subforum has now been archived, and is read only.
Riyuka

How's Christmas season - when you don't celebrate Christmas?

Post by Riyuka » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Now, being of a different religion to the majority here in England, I obviously understand the reason Christmas is celebrated and its whole story, everything that comes with it. But, what with everyone around me being in 'Christmas spirit' I can see why everyone finds Christmas as a time of year to just let everything go and have fun.

But, what I'm here to talk about is how Christmas impacts us of other faiths. Now, I'm not going to be disclosing my exact religious alleigance in this post, but I am going to talk about how Christmas is for me, as someone who does not celebrate it.

Now, as stated above, I know all the stories, and common traditions of Christmas, after all, I am bombarded with them every year. And, while it does seem to coincide with the perfect holiday time (almost too perfect) one thing that sometimes annoys me is the constant way shops go and decide to make everything Christmas themed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having fun, and festive decorations as much as the next guy, but when I'm just trying to find something normal - say a winter jumper, I just find Christmas design, upon Christmas design. I'd prefer something for all-year-round chilly days.

And that brings me on to the next point - Normal shopping coincides with others' Christmas shopping. Now, having nothing but Christmas items is bad enough, but when all the shops are packed with people buying things totally unrealted to you, it kinda gets annoying. I mean, I'm out doing a general weekly shop for my parents, when suddenly, BOOM! Christmas shoppers everywhere!

And when everyone around you is being happy and getting presents on Christmas Day, I wake up on Christmas Day, and, by the time I've eaten my breakfast and turned on the TV news, only then I see all the Christmas hype headlines. By that time, my reactions range from: "Oh. It's Christmas. OK." to "I'll ask my friends what they got, maybe go visit them idk."
And trust me, when all these hyped up people are talking to you on the phone with voices and octave higher then usual, it doesn't exactly give you the best feeling.

On the plus side, however:
- No post-Christmas lull or sluggishness
- Don't have to buy presents
- Have other celebrations of my own religion
- My birthday is a couple of weks before Christmas so I get presents anyway. Minus the Christmas spirit though.

I could go on and on about many more things, but I really don't need to. So what are your experiences on or around Christmas, whether you celebrate it or not?
Formerly NessPSI.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Re: How's Christmas season - when you don't celebrate Christ

Post by row101 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Is religion really that big a part of Christmas for most people? It's becoming increasingly less of a part, and TBH I don't see why people of other religions shouldn't get into the Christmas Spirit to some extent. Obviously I'm not asking you go to church or say the grace or anything, but is it really the end of the world to have a turkey or buy a jumper with a Reindeer on, e.t.c? I'm an atheist and I couldn't care less about religion at Christmas, I don't see why it has to be a religious thing if you don't want it to be (obviously it can be if you want it to be as well), and it's not a religious thing for me at all and I get the impression that's the same for a large number of households. I consider it just an excuse to have some fun and eat some turkey. Ultimately though I guess it depends on exactly how devoted you are to your religion.

(This is just my opinion, and I'm not going to pretend that I can even remotely sympathise with religious people. Sorry if I've offended anyone...)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Riyuka

Post by Riyuka » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 pm

row101 wrote:Is religion really that big a part of Christmas for most people? It's becoming increasingly less of a part, and TBH I don't see why people of other religions shouldn't get into the Christmas Spirit to some extent. Obviously I'm not asking you go to church or say the grace or anything, but is it really the end of the world to have a turkey or buy a jumper with a Reindeer on, e.t.c? I'm an atheist and I couldn't care less about religion at Christmas, I don't see why it has to be a religious thing if you don't want it to be (obviously it can be if you want it to be as well), and it's not a religious thing for me at all and I get the impression that's the same for a large number of households. I consider it just an excuse to have some fun and eat some turkey. Ultimately though I guess it depends on exactly how devoted you are to your religion.

(This is just my opinion, and I'm not going to pretend that I can even remotely sympathise with religious people. Sorry if I've offended anyone...)
This isn't about why some poeple don't celebrate Christmas, and it's certainly not about religion. It's about how those people are affected by said holiday season. Sorry if I got you a bit lost in my wording, just don't get the wrong idea.

But either way, yes, I know that Christmas is much less religiously-oriented than it once was, however, my point is, when, say in an Islamic country Eid occurs, or in a Hindu country Diwali comes along, you don't really get as much of it interfering with your life, yet you get the same sort of spirit.

I don't have a gripe with Christmas and what it is for most people, but the way it's being exploited and forced into some people's lives (OK, maybe that's worded a bit over the top) is what can really annoy me. It's just that all other celebrations similar are much simpler, what I most want to know is what sets Christmas apart.
Formerly NessPSI.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:44 am

I'm not religious at all and neither is Christmas.

It's the vegetarians and the people who don't drink who we should all worry about

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:11 pm

It's not being forced on people. It's just being celebrated and used as a commercial holiday, it's simply a facet of a gift giving holiday happening to be the primary faith of the Western world.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Cribs
Steam ID: Cribster18

Post by Cribs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:51 pm

we can love christmas if we want to

yeah it's all turned into a big money grab but so what

Meowmix
NNID: Parablegreg
Xbox Gamertag: Parablegreg

Post by Meowmix » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:34 pm

I'll take part in Christmas things with friends, but I don't really celebrate it. Easy enough to avoid, silly how much people get into it tho.

RJ Badman

Post by RJ Badman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:29 am

Christmas for me is a family thing, spending the time with parents and siblings, giving gifts and enjoying the atmos. :)