Your Best and Worse Christmas Present(s)

Christmas forum 2015! Open for the entire festive season.
This subforum has now been archived, and is read only.
danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Your Best and Worse Christmas Present(s)

Post by danbish » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Pretty straight forward really. What was/is the best Christmas present you received? Did you ask for it or was it a surprise?

Instantly popping to mind as one of the best (although I'm sure there could be others) was the Christmas me and my brother opened up our ZX Spectrum +2 on Christmas morning and a few years later when we both found our NES left by Santa with TMNT & Rescue: The Embassy Mission.

The worst? Being totally surprised twice, one when I was around 16 when I opened up what I thought was a CD I wanted only to find my mam had bought me a Will Smith album (I had to fake a smile and a "oh thanks" reaction as she was looking right at me with a hopeful smile on her face) and another a few years back when I got a Voices of the Valley CD after I'd said a few weeks before they sounded 'alright' when I saw them on the breakfast news on morning. Mind you, I saw them for 20 seconds at the most as I was grabbing my stuff and dashing out the door for work.

What's yours?

Mr. EE

Re: Your Best and Worse Christmas Present(s)

Post by Mr. EE » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:15 pm

The Wii is probably the best one. The whole family ended up playing on it throughout the day.

Best bit was when nan got drunk and tried to play golf on Wii Sports
Edd ~ EE is a cool guy.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:09 pm

It's a tough one. Possibly my PS1, with Spyro yotd and Croc, possibly my Nintendo DS with Nintendogs and Pokemon Dash, possibly my Tortoise Jerry (Who sadly passed away last Spring).

The wii would also be a good one, Wii Sports and Wii Play was a blast with the cousins.

Also inclined to say my Gamecube, with Pokemon Colosseum in the bundle. To be honest, most of my Christmas's were full of incredible joy, our tradition would be open presents, play with them until lunch, eat lunch, play some more, and then at about 6pm we'd head over to my gran's house (literally the other side of the close like 5 minutes away), and meet up with the whole family. I'm really tight with my cousins, we'd all used to bring our Christmas presents round with us and play them together, like our GBA's and our DS's and the Wii, makes me kinda sad realising that we're all grown up now and we can't really replicate those times anymore. Man, those days were truly the most joy filled days of my life, I'm so lucky that I'm tight with my cousins and we got on really well.

Worst present? There's been an abundance of them, mostly gifts from my Aunt, she really tries bless her but she just can't buy gifts for eton mess. I've gotten dreadful gifts such as a Wii rip off that came with a load of emulated games such as Sonic and Knuckles (Not as great as it may seem, the controller was eton mess and the game was really laggy), a metal detector (seriously wtf), and a selfie stick.

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:44 pm

My PS2 with Tekken 4 and a Wii with Wii sports and eton mess. Bruh, what a Christmas.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:08 pm

PS2, PSP or Wii... but I'm going to go with Wii because Christmas Zelda game all of the hype

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:28 am

Best was probably when I got my GameCube, got the Double a Dash bundle alongside a great selections of games including Metroid Prime 2, Wind Waker, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. That was a fun week of playing those games before I had to go back to school. Also related to the GameCube was when I was sat there in complete awe, playing Twilight Princess thinking how great it was.

Worst is actually a but harder for me, as a kid I was always taught to accept presents gracefully and say thank you which I did and still do to this day if I ever feel slightly disappointed by a gift (which thankfully rarely happens). I'd say most disappointed I've ever been is when I opened up some of the awful games that were released on the Wii (I bought my Wii mid 2007 so the parents thought it'd be a good idea to get me some games), I gave them a quick play and thankfully my parents haven't tried to judge my gaming habits since! :lol:

Marmitecashews

Post by Marmitecashews » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:40 am

My first ever Hifi which I got one Christmas in the mid nineties. It's black with silver buttons and it was made by Amstrad. It was second hand so I don't know how old it is but it still works.

Last year's Christmas present was a very good one it was a brand new Hifi. It is also black and it's made by Sony.

My first ever radio was also a great Christmas present and I still have it. It is bright red with blue on the front of the speakers and yellow top where the cassette tape goes. It has a blue handle and the name on it is Star sound and it looks like a mini Hifi.

Another great Christmas present I got was in about 2000 I got a 14 inch TV which I still have. It was made by a lesser known company named Harwood.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Worst: Metroid Other M.

I still very much appreciated the gift, however. We just didn't know what we were getting ourselves in to.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:21 pm

idk, I like what I've gotten
Perhaps the Wii U was best though
liberal wrote:Worst: Metroid Other M.

I still very much appreciated the gift, however. We just didn't know what we were getting ourselves in to.
Other M was a good game
the key being the game part
the rest can go and space dragon PTSD itself

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Unfortunately it's kind of hard to ignore the story and the poor characterization. The gameplay itself, which is alright - worse than the other recent titles though - is not enough to distract me from it.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Best: harmony and understanding, sympathy and trust abounding
Worst: the ills of mankind

I find the whole presents thing a little annoying to be honest. On Christmas morning, I want a good lie-in. I don't wanna have to wake up early so I can unwrap gifts and fake enthusiasm while everyone stares at me to see how I'll react to whatever it is they got me.
Same goes for my birthday, five days earlier.

I'd much rather the company of those who love and care about me than some presents which I'll probably never even use.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Ghost wrote:Worst: the ills of mankind
Bucket

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:52 pm

bruh

komistle toe

Post by komistle toe » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm going to order some ills in for my secret santa
the merriest lies of all. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY |

jimbob555

Post by jimbob555 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:11 pm

does dragonball evolution count as an ill for my secret santa?

Vtheyoshi

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 pm

liberal wrote:Unfortunately it's kind of hard to ignore the story and the poor characterization. The gameplay itself, which is alright - worse than the other recent titles though - is not enough to distract me from it.
"recent titles"
if by that you mean Prime 3 (which was great, yes), which was like two years before, then hunters which was four years earlier

MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:26 am

Best... probably the PS1. Was the first console I got that wasn't to share with my brother. It was all MINE. And I got Twisted Metal 2 with it, which is one of my all time fav games ever and I still play it every few weeks lol.

Worst... I dunno, any time I got clothes as a kid, I guess? :lol:

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:20 pm

Vtheyoshi wrote:
liberal wrote:Unfortunately it's kind of hard to ignore the story and the poor characterization. The gameplay itself, which is alright - worse than the other recent titles though - is not enough to distract me from it.
"recent titles"
if by that you mean Prime 3 (which was great, yes), which was like two years before, then hunters which was four years earlier
Recent was the wrong word. Modern is what I meant I suppose. So Metroid Prime/Fusion up until now. I still like Prime 3 and Hunters more though.

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:29 pm

bad rats

Vtheyoshi

Post by Vtheyoshi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:38 pm

liberal wrote:
Vtheyoshi wrote:
"recent titles"
Recent was the wrong word. Modern is what I meant I suppose. So Metroid Prime/Fusion up until now. I still like Prime 3 and Hunters more though.
idk about Hunters, I'm not too sure what to think

MAL

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:52 am

Well, gooseberry fool you.

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:39 pm

I really enjoyed Hunters too, they did an excellent job of making the Prime world work on DS but I will say it gave me a very bad case of the 'crab hand'. That ached for quite some time approaching the end of the game...

Vtheyoshi

Post by Vtheyoshi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:12 pm

liberal wrote:Well, gooseberry fool you.
shut up, you gooseberry fool frick
go and play other M

MAL

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:24 pm

For a moment there I thought of Project M instead. You know, Super Smash Bros. Project M. The best Smash game.

Vtheyoshi

Post by Vtheyoshi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:25 pm

nice one m8

you know the best smash game is playstation all stars

MAL