The Legend Of Zelda Thread

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Nintendonator3000

Re: The Legend Of Zelda Thread : Twilight Princess HD

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:11 pm

I did it second try, compared to about 20 on the Wii version. Not gonna lie, it was complete luck.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:45 pm

That snowboarding song is legit tho.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:04 pm

I couldn't even focus on the song/music, was getting pretty fustrated with the rubbish controls!

FalcoPunch
FKA PaperMacheTheSecond
NNID: Thanks Pepsi Supreme
3DS Friend Code: for signature

Post by FalcoPunch » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Hyped if the Linkle rumors are real. Please make her have a seperate playstyle to Link and we can choose which style we want: sexy crossbows or retro swordplay. E3 can't come soon enough.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Wouldn't that defeat the point of it only being cosmetic?
Bucket

FalcoPunch
FKA PaperMacheTheSecond
NNID: Thanks Pepsi Supreme
3DS Friend Code: for signature

Post by FalcoPunch » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:39 pm

I don't want it only being cosmetic.

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Having two different characters would be interesting. What if choosing between both Link's gives us an option to play almost 2 different games? They could live in different areas in Hyrule. Each persons story could take you down separate paths but both to the same goal.
Twitter

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Actually having completely separate characters as opposed to being merely cosmetic would actually help with replay-ability, I always play through each Zelda game twice (at least) to get better value for money (don't tend to do this with remasters though), one to enjoy the game as is and then a second run to 100% it, so having two completely different story's and characters would improve the playtime of the game by quite a lot (depending on the length of it of course).

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:33 pm

If you can choose between a male or female Link then it should definitely be a cosmetic only choice. Link is the player-proxy and that shouldn't affect the game other than immersing you as much as possible.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:40 pm

I think if they give people the choice they'll need to make changes to the campaign. LoZ isn't Fallout, it actually has writing despite a silent protagonist. Story events happen to the character and whether people like acknowledging it or not gender is a part of a character and plays a role in how well a story works. If simply switching the gender has no effect on the story then you haven't written a particularly good story, you've written a setting and just plonked a character into it.

Personally, I'd rather they didn't even bother with the choice, if they want to have a female Link then just write a game with a female Link. Butchering the writing and story telling to appease children who think every game needs a character creator isn't a good trade off.

Blaxel411
NNID: Black-wolf209
3DS Friend Code: 4811-7239-6713
Xbox Gamertag: Not on my life

Post by Blaxel411 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Skyward Sword was moving the series forward in terms of story. Going to "insert gender here" will mean that the story will have to take a step back, so I'm against it. If they wanna go back to the generic stories, the ce la vi
I think we can all agree that i`m a great asset to the human race.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:21 pm

barrybarryk wrote:I think if they give people the choice they'll need to make changes to the campaign. LoZ isn't Fallout, it actually has writing despite a silent protagonist. Story events happen to the character and whether people like acknowledging it or not gender is a part of a character and plays a role in how well a story works. If simply switching the gender has no effect on the story then you haven't written a particularly good story, you've written a setting and just plonked a character into it.
You could switch Link for a female in most Zelda games without having to change anything (other than some pronouns).

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:32 pm

You could switch Link for a panda in most Zelda games and not need to change anything either, that doesn't mean the story would work as well with the Link panda.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:47 pm

I see the point you're trying to make but now I really want to play a Zelda game as Link panda

But also I disagree. In Skyward Sword, Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time I can see how the hints at romance would be effected (although the overall plot would still be little effected) but in other games like Wind Waker I can't see how it would make a difference at all.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:02 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:But also I disagree. In Skyward Sword, Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time I can see how the hints at romance would be effected (although the overall plot would still be little effected) but in other games like Wind Waker I can't see how it would make a difference at all.
I agree it'd change little about Wind Waker (though I'd hold that as a flaw in it's writing), but you still have Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword which obviously wouldn't work as well with a cosmetic gender flip.

If Nintendo want to do it fair play to them, I'll still buy it, but it will demonstrably negatively affect the writing as it takes a major aspect of the protagonist off the table for the story. If they want to do it, I think they should do it right, either write two subtly different stories or just double down and don't give people the choice. I've heard people arguing for games to be more everything for the last twenty years, but this latest bout of insanity is the first time I've seen people actually arguing for games to be more generic.

WithLoveAndSqualor
NNID: KingDanana
3DS Friend Code: 2320-6489-5789
PSN ID: KingDanana
Xbox Gamertag: King Danana
Steam ID: King_Danana

Post by WithLoveAndSqualor » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:27 pm

literally who the gooseberry fool cares if you play as a girl
UNTOUCHABLE
HAIL TO THE KING/FM\ twit

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Remove awkward romance hints. Look, you did it! You made a Zelda game where Link can be a girl!

Writing my ass. The whole point of Link is that he's a window into the story, not really part of it beyond some hero of legend eton mess. He influences it by killing great evils and having goals that are unrelated yet somehow make him do all this evil slaying eton mess. Zelda doesn't need much story, it just needs a vague reason for Link to do something, and then something that drags him into a bigger picture of saving the world. As long as it plays well, who the gooseberry fool cares? It's Zelda.
Bucket

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 pm

Nofes wrote:Remove awkward romance hints. Look, you did it! You made a Zelda game where Link can be a girl
Or how about just not removing things and instead tailoring them to suit?

I genuinely cannot understand why anyone is arguing in favour of half assing it, but I find it unsurprising your argument basically boils down to 'lol the story doesn't matter'

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Aonuma has stated on many occasions how he wants to challenge the conventions of the past. I believe he means to take that beyond of just gameplay aspects. Which includes how the story will be told and how characters are handled.
Twitter

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:17 am

You're not a bunch of 13 year olds speculating about videogames any more. You have to be realistic. Nintendo is not going to make a two campaign Zelda and you know damn well that's going to be the case. It's going to be a barebones story with no depth and no second character with different abilities and you're going to like it.

Whole point of female Link is to offer representation. They're not going to gooseberry fool that up by making her play differently so that gender is a play style choice.
Bucket

Blaxel411
NNID: Black-wolf209
3DS Friend Code: 4811-7239-6713
Xbox Gamertag: Not on my life

Post by Blaxel411 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:56 am

I'm not in favour of story taking a back seat to representation. Zelda games have a high focus on females already. 3 Goddesses, Legend of ZELDA, most sages are women, goddess hylia. Link is given a lot less development and personality than most of the female cast. Making him female does nothing but say "here, have a vagina on that blank slate of yours". Evolving the story to make Zelda a better series is more important. When Link starts being more of an actual character, then we can consider making him female, in order to play with personality possibilities.
I think we can all agree that i`m a great asset to the human race.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:37 pm

This game is going to put the story behind everything else. Everything we've seen and heard is pointing in that direction.

I'm not sure how you guys aren't seeing that.
Bucket

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Nofes wrote:This game is going to put the story behind everything else. Everything we've seen and heard is pointing in that direction.
Then it's probably going to be a poor Zelda game. Shame.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I said the idea was interesting,I don't actually expect it to happen tho. We are allowed to speculate and have imaginations you know. My last post was aimed towards the entire game. We really can't sit here expecting something we are already familiar with. To say it's just going to be another Zelda game is a bit insulting to Aonuma to be honest.
Twitter

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:31 pm

RainbowGazelle wrote:
Nofes wrote:This game is going to put the story behind everything else. Everything we've seen and heard is pointing in that direction.
Then it's probably going to be a poor Zelda game. Shame.
What? Story has only ever taken priority in MM, and even then not completely
Everything else has come before it, the story is generally just a means to an end, it justifies the game's events and mechanics

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17