NintenPolls - Fire Emblem: Fated Favourite!

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Re: NintenPolls - Mario: Super Hub Worlds!

Post by bigcalwv » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:02 am

64 might be the most "iconic", being the first and all, but I adore Sunshine's hub world. I am a sucker for great looking water and beaches in games so that helps it a ton, plus it is great to explore the place and find all the hidden shines as well as hatching Yoshi and swimming out to sea to the little island lol. And its fantastic how it changes as you progress though the game, from being dark and gloomy at the start with ink all over, to getting brighter and brighter, to flooding completely and then back to normal as you get access to Mt. Corona. Oh how I want a HD remaster of this game lol...

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:54 am

Galaxy was pretty special with how you would unlock more areas over time. It always felt great when you did. But the way 64's castle was designed, every room was it's own character. It never gets old running through them. I'm a nostalgia freak so I'll have to pick 64.

If they ever make a Sunshine 2 I hope they open up the entire island. Since my favorite part of that place was how everything was subtly connected. "Open world" Mario sounds dumb but I think i could work with Delfino.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Easily the Observatory from Super Mario Galaxy, that thing is a masterpiece. It slowly opens up the more you play and the more you explore the more you discover. Plus it also houses the library where you learn how Rosalina came to be with the Luma's that I'll admit, did very much pull on my heartstrings. Its never been bettered since.

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:08 pm

mario 64 - b-e-a-uuuuutiful!
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: FIFA 18 and Rocket League

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Mario 64 for me - fun to explore, easy to access levels, and has some cool secrets to discover too.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Fabong

Post by Fabong » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Comet Observatory because Crisps disagrees.
#ff Garf

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:01 am

Delfino Plaza
Bucket

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

SONM's Favourite Mario Hub! + New Topic

Post by GuitarHero » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 am

I shall also go for Galaxy, as I had so much fun just exploring it and flying around it even if it is smaller than the others. However, 64 is an incredibly close second.

Wow, this was incredibly close. There was only one vote in between 1st and 2nd, and also 2nd and 3rd. Definitely the tightest in a while! Anyway, the winner is...
Super Mario 64 - Peach's Castle!
One of the very first hub worlds there was, sometimes the original is the best according to you. Surprisingly vast, being able to explore Peach's castle is a big point of nostalgia.

Here's what some of you said about it...
Kriken wrote:Tough choice between Super Mario 64's and Galaxy's. 64's is so iconic and I like the variety and scale. It never felt like a drag having to travel between the levels.

Meanwhile Galaxy's is cool because it's a space station and has Rosalina in it. I also like the small changes to it over time, like how the toad brigade and Luigi are added to it after you encounter them in the levels. Being able to fly around it later on is cool too.

However I think I'll go for 64's because of the personal touches like having the clock level portal actually be the face of a clock, and making it so the time on the clock as you enter the level determines its pace.

Props to Sunshine's hub world as well. The 3D Mario series really nails it with them. I can't think of another game series that has done them nearly as well - except for maybe Spyro.
Nintendonator3000 wrote:Mario 64 for me - fun to explore, easy to access levels, and has some cool secrets to discover too.
H. Kazuhira wrote:Galaxy was pretty special with how you would unlock more areas over time. It always felt great when you did. But the way 64's castle was designed, every room was it's own character. It never gets old running through them. I'm a nostalgia freak so I'll have to pick 64.

If they ever make a Sunshine 2 I hope they open up the entire island. Since my favorite part of that place was how everything was subtly connected. "Open world" Mario sounds dumb but I think i could work with Delfino.
I don't think I'm alone in wanting another hub world soon.

It has been a while since we've talked about consoles, so let's do that again. The question being...
Which console had the best launch?
This list about launch games seems to be pretty accurate, so if you want help remembering then have a look.
Your choices are: The launch of a new console is always an exciting time for a gamer. A new console brings a new leap forward and quite often with Nintendo, a new way to play. Fun times to be had, for sure.

However, for a console to gain life it has to have quality games. If there aren't any good games, you may as well hold off for something better, right? A tip-top launch is necessary to get the ball rolling for your console, otherwise the console may never truly take off.

Some launches are definitely better than others, as can be seen by the backlash towards some. So which console launch was your favourite?

Please just choose one remember.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Re: NintenPolls - Consoles: Leading Launch!

Post by Kriken » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:10 am

Lol Wii U

Tbh none of them look that stellar overall. Think I'll go with the Wii actually. Best memories from that time as well.

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:20 am

Kriken wrote:Lol Wii U

Tbh none of them look that stellar overall. Think I'll go with the Wii actually. Best memories from that time as well.
How you can laugh at the Wii U's launch line-up, then pick Wii is beyond me. I'm going with Wii U.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:49 am

Wii launched with a new Zelda game, that's pretty damn hard to beat.

Plus the other supporting wii games were solid too.

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Damn, there have been some terrible launch titles for consoles lol. Honestly it just comes down to 1 title for me with most of them, so I'll go with the SNES since it has imo the greatest game of all time in Super Mario World as a launch title.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:03 pm

In all honesty all these consoles didn't really have the best launch line-up, but even though it was full of ports of games that was between for a while, the Wii U had a decent line up.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Commandervideo

Post by Commandervideo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:41 pm

N64. It had Super Mario 64.

danbish

Post by danbish » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:01 pm

I have to side with the GameCube. I know later consoles had a lot more games within the launch period but the GameCube had the better quality overall in my opinion; Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, WaveRace Blue Storm, XGIII, ISS, Bloody Roar, Burnout & Crazy Taxi.

Sabrofra
NNID: GameBoySam
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5595-5668
Steam ID: Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm going to say the Wii. It had Zelda, Wii Sports and Wii Play. All 3 which were really fun launch titles.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am

They were all p eton mess but the Wii was the least eton mess.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:13 am

I forgot how poor the console launches have been, lets hope the NX has a better day one line-up, but I will go with the GameCube
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:46 am

None of them are actually that great, Wii probably wins for launching with Twilight Princess (which probably helped the consoles early sales figures).
RichardUK wrote:I forgot how poor the console launches have been, lets hope the NX has a better day one line-up, but I will go with the GameCube
As they have said they've pushed the NX launch to March 2017 (from, I presume Christmas 2016) so they could have more titles available at launch I'd hope it does have the best launch line up of games for a Nintendo system, it's got Zelda Breath of the Wild for a start!

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:08 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Wii probably wins for launching with Twilight Princess (which probably helped the consoles early sales figures).
Eh, with the Wii I think it was more Wii Sports and the motion controls than anything else that sold it.

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:19 pm

wii has to win...cmon wii sports and zelda!!
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: FIFA 18 and Rocket League

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:22 pm

GuitarHero wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Wii probably wins for launching with Twilight Princess (which probably helped the consoles early sales figures).
Eh, with the Wii I think it was more Wii Sports and the motion controls than anything else that sold it.
I imagine it didn't do any harm though ;)

GuitarHero

SONM's Favourite Console Launch! + New Topic

Post by GuitarHero » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:
I imagine it didn't do any harm though ;)
I can't argue there!

My vote is also for Wii, as among those games are some genuine quality games.

Quite a wide field of votes there, with only the NES failing to pick up a vote. However there was one console that had more votes than the rest combined and that winner is the...
Wii!
The Wii had a wide range of games on offer at launch, with games ranging from Zelda to the Wii's killer app Wii Sports.

Here's what some of you said about it...
Sabrofra wrote:I'm going to say the Wii. It had Zelda, Wii Sports and Wii Play. All 3 which were really fun launch titles.
OrangeRakoon wrote:Wii launched with a new Zelda game, that's pretty damn hard to beat.

Plus the other supporting wii games were solid too.
swarf wrote:wii has to win...cmon wii sports and zelda!!
With the NX (currently) launching with Zelda, hopefully it will be the best launch yet.

Right, let's do another more open-ended question as was trialled before. The question being...
Which Nintendo franchise do you think needs to be retired?
So any current Nintendo series that you feel has had its day, that should be stopped to make way for new series. Any series that hasn't had a game on the Wii U or 3DS is excluded, as it isn't current.

Plenty of Nintendo franchises have some of the best games out there, being joy condensed down into game form, an example to others on how to make a game and how to make pure fun. Some franchises can do this for one game, while others can keep it up for years.

However, each franchise has its zenith - a point where no future game can live up to these past successes. Sometimes the franchises just ride the coattails of this amazing game, copy and pasting its best bits: some might call it a rehash. It just isn't the same.

Some franchises should be stopped before they tarnish their once illustrious name beyond repair, so they can make way for new franchises. So which franchise do you think should be retired?

Please just choose one remember.

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Re: NintenPolls - Nintendo: It's time to put down...

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:54 pm

The Party games just aren't seeing their better days lately. Either put it down or revamp it entirely imo.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

danbish

Re: NintenPolls - Nintendo: It's time to put down...

Post by danbish » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:41 pm

The Mario Tennis games springs to mind. The last few seem to have gone further and further down hill and the WiiU version is just abysmal. They need a (semi) retirement for a while to really think about the franchise and how they can return to former glory.