The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

What scares you more?

A Lynel in the distance
44%
The sound of a Guardian's laser lock on
38%
Electric god damn Keese
19%

Total votes: 32

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 am

Depends wildly on how much of a completionist you are and how much you focus on getting to the divine beasts then ganon. I came in at 125+ hours according to the switch, with all 120 shrines complete.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 am

I totalled just over 102 hours, think it was 96 shrines complete, all Divine Beasts, 150 (ish, can't really remember and I stopped looking for them, this was the one aspect I just didn't like at all yet I loved the exploration of climbing mountains etc) Korok seeds, all memories and a reasonable amount of the sidequests.

Enjoy it while it lasts, however long that may be.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:05 pm

35+ hours with 3 Divine Beasts and 50 Shrines, feels like I've rushed it really.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Crash N.Sane Trilogy Top 10 games of 2017 so far Horizon
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 am
Depends wildly on how much of a completionist you are and how much you focus on getting to the divine beasts then ganon. I came in at 125+ hours according to the switch, with all 120 shrines complete.
I hit that point at around 100+

I feel like I got too good too fast.
Bucket

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 am

I thought you played on WiiU which doesn't track time played

I generally play games quite slowly because I normally play quite cautiously and methodically, I'm sure you can do all shrines/sidequests in a first play through in under 100 hours without feeling like you rushed it.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:55 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 am
I thought you played on WiiU which doesn't track time played

I generally play games quite slowly because I normally play quite cautiously and methodically, I'm sure you can do all shrines/sidequests in a first play through in under 100 hours without feeling like you rushed it.
I didn't, and it does.
Bucket

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:18 pm

I have no idea what I'm remembering then

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm pretty sure my time exceeded 200 hours just after I beat Ganon but much of that time includes no real play as such - rather I took time out (sometimes up to a couple of sessions) scouting around one particular area for recreational purposes. Guess what I'm trying to say is that when looking at the game through the lens of not just a player, but a content creator, effectively doubles the time spent.

Heck, why else would I spend more than 6 hours hanging out in and around Hyrule Castle...
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Finally got the Wii U version today after deciding I'm going to wait till next year to get a Switch, but having trouble getting it going since it says I need to do a system update first even though when I go into settings there is no system update. I'm guessing that they just made a mistake and meant there's a game patch, but do I absolutely have to do it to play? Not got much broadband allowance left for the month so I don't really want to be using it all up on a big software patch.
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:50 pm

I played the Wii U version on launch day with no issues, however I think there was a small patch to be installed but I don't remember what that was actually for, presume it's completely playable without the need to update.

Rik

Post by Rik » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:29 pm

I went ahead and did it anyway, I must have misread the update size since it doesn't seem to have taken up as much data as it was supposed to. Just waiting for it to finish installing now, much hype for Zelda funtimes

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:53 pm

The patch was small performance fixes and enabling the season pass to work if you purchased it, iirc.

Both versions.
Bucket

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:27 am

Just did pretty much all of the Great Plateau in one sitting (pretty sure I managed to get everything unless there are some koroks I missed). Jumped off at the north since there was a nice high ledge with another big rock to glide to ahead, was immediately set on by skeleton moblins who I ended up having to beat to death with one of their own arms since my own weapons were a bit weak in comparison. Then I shot some deer and a fox. Then I decided it'd be a great idea to drop in on the coliseum crawling with high level enemies, which I soon realised was actually a terrible idea so I ran and glided out of there PDQ. Then I spotted some weird goo on the floor, thought "hmm wonder what that is", dropped into it and found out it's evil death sludge and died very quickly which is when I decided I should probably call it a night.
All in all I'm loving it so far, plateau is a lesson to all game devs on how to do a tutorial section, it gives you so much to play with and learn the mechanics without ever shoving anything down your throat. Only way I think it could've been improved was a combat trial to teach how to dodge/parry/flurry since I only found that out through loading screen tips, but that's only minor I guess. Really looking forward to getting stuck in again tomorrow.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 am
Enjoy it while it lasts, however long that may be.
Well that's it really. I don't have any intention of rushing this - because it's a special game and I can only experience it for the first time once. I was thinking I'm quite lucky to play BotW and OoT [to completion for the first time] simultaneously / jumping between the two.

It enhanced my experience of both games, let me try to explain. Playing a bit of OoT was good practice for playing BotW as a lot of blue-print / essence of all Zelda games is laid out in OoT, but playing BotW also enhanced my enjoyment of OoT because I've never been particularly good at Zelda tbh (and also though SS seems to be pretty divisive it's how I've often thought of what a Zelda game should be - linear and story heavy. I usually don't like getting lost in Zelda games or wondering off what I think the main path should be and play because I want to watch the story unfold which does sort of mean rushing it through it a little) and I've always played Zelda games with a guide / walkthrough infront of me. But BotW is probably the least linear Zelda game and it's really encouraged me to just run off in any direction, get a bit lost and explore - it's made me want to see as much of it's world as possible more than it's made me want to beat the game (I've sort of been playing it like I would Mario Galaxy in that I'm not worried about getting to the end or rescuing Peach, I'm just having fun controlling my avartar, trigging set-pieces and doing cool eton mess in an interesting world). So from BotW jumping back into OoT, it encouraged me to not use a guide and explore the [much less vast but also much less daunting] world - years ago I read this really nice review (glad I managed to find it) - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -3d-review where it talked about how it reminded you of being a little kid and the sense of wonder you got from exploring around your own neighbourhood, I really got that this time round, I'm aware there's been a bit of backlash to OoT but I can reallly see why it got so much hype; it's a very well scaled and put together world - finishing it for the first time really was a very special experience and it's been a bit of a refrsher course about why I liked in the first place and still play video games.

With BotW If it wasn't Zelda, I would never attempt to start a game that's 100+ hours to complete (it's length is the reason I've never attempted Xenoblade Chronicles), but I'm sort of at peace with the fact it will probably take me 150+ hours to complete this game (much more time then I've ever spent on an individual game) and I'll end up putting it down and picking it back up again and probably won't finish it this year. I haven't really scratched the surface with BotW yet but it has evoked a lot in feeling in me in way not many videogames have - it's such an experience so I'm just going to take my time, stay immersed and really enjoy it. :D
"soylent green is people"

Rik

Post by Rik » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 am

Had another long play today mostly spent messing around in central Hyrule and dying lots of times (I badly underestimated how easily the Guardians around the tower would spot and shoot me on the glide down) . Did another few shrines including a long Stasis based one with lots of good loot, also rescued some adventurers from a Bokoblin gang. Think I'm going to head to Kakariko tomorrow for the sake of hopefully finding some actual decent armour since a lot of stuff seems to be nearly one-shotting me at the minute.

How quickly do you get a chance to expand your weapon inventory? Do you actively have to search it out or will I stumble on it fairly naturally? Got to a point where I'm full up on tools (torch, hammer, axe, leaf) and fairly good weapons I don't want to waste on mooks so I either need somewhere to drop eton mess off or more space for expendable weapons.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:32 am

You get a couple of chances to expand your inventory (first one of them is on the way to Kakariko so you'll be heading in the right direction) in the wild before there's a permanent place to go and upgrade.

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Think my break has lasted long enough with the first part of the DLC coming out this Friday. I still have a pretty good idea of where I am so I shouldn't feel too lost lol. Taking on my 3rd Divine Beast. Saving the Gerudo Region last since that's what I'm most excited to explore.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 am

Rik wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 am
How quickly do you get a chance to expand your weapon inventory? Do you actively have to search it out or will I stumble on it fairly naturally?
Follow the story beats, you've been guided towards it already.

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:26 pm

breath of the wild DLC out this week

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm currently gearing up to fight Ganon, getting in some final shrines and other items. Just finished clearing up Gerudo Desert, and am thinking of heading to Zora territory next as I haven't explored there since early game.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm

more details of the DLC, majoras mask DLC where you wear the mask and the minor foes wont attack thinking your part of their gang. photos galore then i imagine

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm

i do like how they made quests for finding the dlc items
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:53 pm

I've finally had time to purchase and play this over the last few weeks. Don't get me wrong - I've wanted this since Day Dot, but life circumstances and such...

Anyway, I'm mesmerised. I can't believe my WiiU is chugging out something of this level sometimes. The Draw distances, the scenery... the way the light hit individual blades of grass during sunsets as I climb a valley or a hill - I haven't felt such immersion in a game in such a long time - and that's where this title really wins - it's main attraction/gimmick/focus is the world, the wild and the surroundings and what you can explore. And Link can JUMP and CLIMB at my choosing. THANK YOU NINTENDO!

I thought the Great Plateau was an incredibly huge and varied world in itself for the most part (and probably has the same size map as any past Zelda Game. But after this is complete (and although you are marginally guided) deciding on where to begin exploring... and zooming out to see how big the map is and how little you've covered is nothing short of a WOW moment. It feels this (and the announced Pokemon Switch Core Game) is the definitive version of a series title I have literally dreamed of since childhood. I remember the days when Hyrule Field in OOT was impressive... then we got excited because Twilight Princess takes Hyrule's Map and makes it so much bigger in ways you never thought (back then). But this... this is really something. It feels like Wind Waker was a prototype in a lot of ways - for as much a people bemoan about Travelling The Great Sea, I always found it to be somewhat of an adventure on the open blue - discovering isles and whatnot at your leisure... seeking out treasures... etc... Breath of The Wild takes that to a whole new level - and then some.

It's unbelieveable how difficult this game can be (in a good way) - and this really challenges your typical expectations for a Zelda game - I rarely die when playing a Zelda game, yet i must've been killed a good 50-60 times already... you really have to plan your treks out carefully when you wander or submit to battle scenarios.

The fact that this tools you out with your most useful abilities and items from the get go is rather weird but wonderful, and finding the usual dungeon specific items just in chests on the field (and sometimes just lying around on the floor) is at first really bizarre. But then you come to learn about weapon durability, so it all fits into place... you really have to plan your treks out carefully when you wander or submit to battle scenarios. And cooking - a feature I wasn't particularly bothered about, has now become a favourite of mine in game trying to figure out the best recipes and concoctions from my ingredients - no more hearts laying around in the grass anymore after all.

Anyway... you all know this already.

In my play through so far I've explored maybe 3-4 sections of the map (and still not fully). Done around 20 shrines so far... I barely completed a Moderate Test of Strength against a Guardian and died a good 5 times in the maJOR teST just off the Sea Coast... I'll come back to that. Last night I spent hours embracing the Zora Quest and embarking on reaching their domain and saving their people, even following the route laid bare was an epic struggle and so much fun. The most frustrating part was trying to get the shock arrows from the Lynal on Shatterback Mountain. I died a good 10 times attempting to defeat him, thinking... HOW can I beat this guy?! How is he so tough this early in my game... did I come to the right place so quickly...
...Then I realised I didn't have to even fight him, and wore my stealth gear to grab 20 shock arrows. What a scary experience that was... well before jumping off shatter back anyway XD
Taking on Ruta with Sidon has been one of my highlights so far - it's like Shadow of the Colossus mixed with a mini Dungeon at the end. Epic.

Now, the Zora are safe, and I actually feel like a hero rather than a completionist collecting something towards an end goal. The world really makes you care about it, and that's the ultimate reward I'm getting from this experience.

So. Where to venture next...

Rik

Post by Rik » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 pm

I must be at least 20 hours in and I've barely touched the story, after going north for a bit I went back to the plateau and kind of looped around the southern edge of the map, through the dragon river woods (got a load of shock arrows and strengthened Lizal bows there when I did the shrine quest which was nice), past Lurelin Village, up the mountain with the Three Brothers shrine quest and finally down to Hateno again. It keeps surprising me just how much there is to do, I think one of the major advantages it has over other open worlders like Skyrim is that all the random loot you find along the way feels properly earned since you have to solve a puzzle or fight to get to it rather than just picking it up along the way.

Having all the abilities unlocked at the start is a great change as well, it means instead of marking stuff off to come back when you have the right gear then not bothering/remembering to, the only limitation on getting stuff/beating shrines is your own ability to work out how to do it.

More than anything I'm just struck by how fun it is. I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed playing a game this much, possibly my first time playing Fallout 3 but even then it was more the fact that it was such a new experience for me having never played an open world game before it. While a big part of BotW is that it all feels so fresh on top of that it's such a joy to get lost in. It's definitely challenging in areas but it never feels unfair, any difficulty in straight fights you can work around if you're clever enough with the environment and stealth. Only area I've felt slightly frustrated was trying to get to the peaks in the southern forest when it was continuously raining for days on end, and even then it felt good to get round it by using Cryosis to climb the waterfall then using some stamina meals and a well-picked route to get the rest of the way.

Think after I tackle Eventide Island tomorrow I am going to crack on with the story for a bit rather than wander aimlessly though, at the very least I'm going to go memory hunting now that I have the camera. Dread to think what my average play time is, think most of my sessions so far have been 2.5/3 hours at a time which is pretty hefty considering I haven't really played anything properly since I finished Xenoblade a couple of months ago.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Agreed. This is a game you cannot put just 30 minutes into - over the last few years I've been playing games mostly in spits and spats for short periods of time. Sometimes because of lack of time (such is life) and other times because nothing holds my attention for very long. Not with this.

You can see how Nintendo took 5 years to work on this game. The world and everything in it begs to be explored, every nook and cranny... there's nothing you go wandering towards that isn't pointless or worth it - you will always find something... and as this game is so vast, well, that's impressive.

I ended up spending more time around Zora's domain and the surrounding mountains tonight just to search through some nooks and crannies. Completed some side quests for the villagers and through complete and utter luck of exploring and messing around with the Magnesis Tool... tonight I managed to find me a complete Zora outfit set. I'm ecstatic!

I haven't fist pumped so loudly over something like a moron in forever. XD

I have to say, despite not getting specific items in dungeons like in Zelda of old that every now and then - and I'm guessing this happens mostly through following the story - you will get gifted... additional abilities... these appear to help make life a little easier/fun through exploration and battles to some degree.