The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

What scares you more?

A Lynel in the distance
43%
The sound of a Guardian's laser lock on
40%
Electric god damn Keese
17%

Total votes: 35

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:01 pm

Not played any of the DLC yet, need to get round to completing the main story again before tackling the DLC!

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 pm

well finally got started on champions ballad and its a bit of challenge quite enjoying it
also kid sidon is adorable
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Fisher
NNID: fisher87
3DS Friend Code: 1263-9353-5749

Post by Fisher » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:49 pm

haven't played any of the DLC yet.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

New 3DS XL FC is 1263-9353-5749 If you add me then please PM me

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 pm

GuitarHero wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm
What do people think of it? As from the trailers they really underwhelmed me and didn't make me think it was value for money, but obviously I haven't played it yet so cannot judge it yet. Just wondered what others think?
I'd say it is - so far anyway.

There's a very fun (and tactical) challenge to start with on the Plateau which leads to 4 Additional Shrines which are in turn some of the best in the game - then there's additional Shrines afterwards and further Challenges to face down and a further 5 memories to unlock as well as an additional Dungeon too on top of other stuff - the endgame is the Master Cycle Zero (aka 'Van Eponus') of Course. And then there's all the additional treasures and costumes, and an all new horse equipment pack to track to upgrade your beast.

I'd say for £17.99 (as this includes DLC 1 as well don't forget with the Master Sword Trials et al - it's not optional to buy both separately) now makes this season pass worth it.

My one quibble... why only 4 Spirit Orbs Nintendo? Why must you troll my Hearts! Now I have 28... BUT IT IS NOT THIRTY.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 am

well finished champion's ballad earlier today, overall i enjoyed it
pretty cool extra boss
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Awesome for finished champion's ballad.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:44 am

Does anyone think we'll be able to play SS on Switch - I would quite like a HD remake
"soylent green is people"

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:38 pm

I reckon it'll happen in a year or two -and I'll definitely get it if so as I love SS.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 pm

I think there's a rumour that Grezzo (who remade OoT and MM for the 3DS) may be doing the same for another Zelda title - they were hiring recently for developers familiar with Unreal and Unity, but is that what they'd use for something like a SS remaster?
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:49 pm

awesome but hope the remake does happen.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:34 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am
Cruizer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 am
So... apparently they was experimenting with the idea of including Alien invasion and Link on a motorbike, when developing what would later become BotW. https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/147827 ... s-gdc-2017 . To me (me being someone that liked Indiana Jones Crystal Skull [sorry], liked Hyrule was a track on Mario Kart 8, but didn't like you can play as Link on a motorbike) it all seems a bit eton mess and definitely a good thing it wasn't included in the final game.
Nofes wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am
They created concepts with the goal of convention breaking. They weren't going to use them in the game, but they used it as an exercise to get people thinking outside the box when it comes to Zelda.
So uh about that
There is 100% no way they planned this before release.
Bucket

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Jumped back into this game for the first time since May. Felt absolutely surreal, but I was still able to kinda to pick up where I left off. Had two Divine Beast left to take care of. Discovering what makes this game so great again which is pretty amazing.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:49 pm

got 12 side quests.

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm

I left the Gerudo region last for many reasons, but I have to say it pretty much surpassed most my expectations. Vah Naboris might have become one my favourite moments in any Zelda game now. I do wish we got a little more of Gerudo Town but other than that I love everything about this place.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Well, that was definitely £17.99 well spent. DLC pack 2 especially, the opening gambit of the One Hit Oblitorator quest was just amazing and tense, and those additional extra missions to open the following 20 added shrines were great fun, the shrines I must say, we're probably the best of the games (now) 140 as well. Well done Nintendo!
I think the final trial of another Devine Beast was a brilliant way to top this out. I realised about a minute or two after looking at the map and from what I was doing that I was basically inside a giant version of THE ENGINE of the Master Cycle Zero - essentially the puzzle is fine tuning it and turning everything on, real clever! I even pooped myself when the Monk at the end started moving - certainly wasn't expecting him to be the final boss, but what a fun final boss - gotta use everything to your advantage here to take him down.

The additional new memories and cutscenes gave a bigger weight to the champion characters as well, so much so that I did tear up at the end for that last shot. I think if anything this game needed more time with them or a bigger focus in some way.

It's almost a shame there isn't going to be any more DLC, I would have quite liked to have explored Hyrule before ruin 100 years ago, having an opportunity to meet recruit the champions as Zelda, or even some post game content roaming and rebuilding Hyrule would have been quite interesting. Alas, not to be.

I think the only thing I'll likely never see through to the end is the Trial of the Sword (because the combat part of this game I quite honestly suck at) It's one area I hope Nintendo are able to improve upon for the next iteration, usually I'm a dab hand for swordplay on every Zelda, but I could never quite attune myself to mastering it here, probably because I was more interested in exploring I guess.

Ash
NNID: Ash_Harrison1
PSN ID: Ash_Harrison1
Steam ID: FightAshFight

Post by Ash » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 am

Went back to this following the AGDQ run of it on Sunday morning. Anyone who's seen me post about the game will have seen I wasn't at all struck on the game whatsoever, however after trying out the speed strats used in the GDQ run I think I'm finally starting to click with the game. There's still some things I'm not keen on (temperature control) and some things I completely hate outright (weapon durability) but I'm starting too see how there's something special in here. So thanks GDQ, I guess.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:35 am

160 Hours and BOTW still keeps on giving post game.

Motorcycling around hyrule has allowed for some fresh new exploration of some neat little nooks and crannies I never discovered before - still getting some kicks off new map location discoveries and figured I may as well do some korok hunting in the process whilst finishing a few side quests - gotta increase that map percentage somehow.

Let’s be honest, it’s never gunna let go - the world is too immersive. I’m trying to start Horizen Zero Dawn but keep getting drawn back. I really think they might struggle to topple this on a follow up...

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 pm

did 14 side quests.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Quite a boring question* - but this forum closing has made we think of ONM; what grade do you think ONM would have given BotW if it was still going?

I think it might have got the fabled 100%

*sorry

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I dunno... It could have been held back a bit by frame issues, but that was a non-issue in other games if I remember right, and something they didn't dock points for unless it was really bad. Either 98 or 99, 100 being generous. Both Mario Galaxy games got 97.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:11 pm

If I were a reviewer I'd find it almost impossible to award any game a 100% rating, as that means it's without flaw in any aspect and while Breath of The Wild is a superb game it's not 100% perfect and fault free.

As DarkRula said, it had frame rate issues at launch which probably wouldn't dock the overall score but you couldn't give it 100% in my opinion as that should mean it's fault free. There's also the weapon durability, all the early weapons wear out too quick with decent weapons few and far between and then it seems to do a 180, weapons last loads longer and you have a constant supply of Hugh damage weapons. Then there's the Korok seeds, personally I'd have wanted a different way to increase inventory space rather than the Korok seeds, keep them in there for completetieonists but have different rewards for getting a certain amount, like a cool weapon, different dye colour for clothes and so on.

I reckon it'd have definitely got 98%, maybe 99% but I don't think it'd have got 100% but who knows.

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Also remember, ONM never gave a game 100%, with the two highest rated games, conveniently enough, being Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword - both at 98. Breath of the Wild would certainly have been in that top tier of highest rated. I expect Mario Odyssey would have got at least the same as the Galaxies.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:06 pm

They might have gone with a sensational attention-grabbing 101%.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 pm

I totally get what you guys are saying.

I personally don't look at 100% as 'something for games to aspire to but is ultimately unatainable'. 100%, does imply perfect, as opposed to just the top score like 10/10 or A+, but I think of it as 'as good as a game came be in it's time'. That doesn't mean a game will never come along later and because of technology seem better than it (if you was going to be objective Zelda TP seems like a better game than OoT because it came along later. But OoT is really the better game in a way you can't quantify).

I don't think any other game that has come before or will come after has had the cultural impact or will change the landscape of gaming in that way BotW has. I don't think any other game has made people think this is the pinicle of gaming like BotW or get people as excited. It isn't perfect, but it's universally agreed it's as good as a game will be (it's not necessarily everyones personal favourite for example I like Mario Odyssey better but its no where as important as BotW). Everyone agrees BotW is so far ahead of whatever its nearest rival is. So I would give this game 100% even with as big of an issue as jumpy frame rate.

....but yeah, ONM definitely interpreted 100% in the way you are saying so at best it would probably be 99%.
Last edited by Cruizer on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Seems only fitting that I'm spending the final hours on SONM playing Breath of The Wild for the first time in ages (maybe finally kicking my re-addiction to Skyrim), it really is a stupendous game :D