The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

What scares you more?

A Lynel in the distance
44%
The sound of a Guardian's laser lock on
38%
Electric god damn Keese
19%

Total votes: 32

Cruizer

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Cruizer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 am

Don't have much to add to what's being said - but nice couple of posts Sonicka. botW, is a game I enjoyed reading about almost as much as playing so it's nicehearing from someone at this stage whose just started and has fresh eyes. :D
"soylent green is people"

Fisher
NNID: fisher87
3DS Friend Code: 1263-9353-5749

Post by Fisher » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 pm

getting this august and nintendo switch too.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

New 3DS XL FC is 1263-9353-5749 If you add me then please PM me

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 am

The final trial of the sword got pretty tough there at the end, huh

I need to get better at parrying lasers

DLC is fun though, loving going back to the game. Halfway through collecting all the bonus armour now.

Hero's path is very cool, I've noticed a fair few areas I've never been to because of it. Playing back your path through the game fun to see - kind of weird that it counts reviving by fairy or mipha's grace as a death though. It means there is no differentiation between my two actual deaths and the numerous times I used revives.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:50 am

My hero's path showed me the time I tried to jump off the map.

Good stuff.
Bucket

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

At first I was enjoying searching out the new DLC gear, but after spending about 2 hours roaming Hyrule field for 'ruins where sinners were imprisoned' with no results, I'm getting slightly frustrated (trying not to use a guide).

I decided to move on by looking for the Korok mask but that's left me equally stumped.

Any hints for those without revealing the locations would be appreciated :)
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am

Nintendonator3000 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am
At first I was enjoying searching out the new DLC gear, but after spending about 2 hours roaming Hyrule field for 'ruins where sinners were imprisoned' with no results, I'm getting slightly frustrated (trying not to use a guide).
Hyrule field includes the areas surrounding Hyrule Castle too.

Another hint: "Imprisoned" is a pretty obvious clue

Final hint: West of the castle
Nintendonator3000 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am
I decided to move on by looking for the Korok mask but that's left me equally stumped.
It's somewhere in the lost woods, before you reach korok forest.

Another hint: Use magnesis to help spot chests inside trees, although it is hidden from plain view

Final hint: When you're supposed to turn to get through the lost woods, try carrying on straight

The one that gave me some trouble was the EX chest in Mabe village - took me several loops around (and going off to get other equipment in between) before I found it underneath the guardian wreck.

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks so much OR - I'll report back when I next play.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Targey

Post by Targey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Are the ancient arrows supposed to make enemies vanish? Like, rather than what usually happens, when the enemy dies and drops weapons and materials?

It's just that I fired one at a silver Lynel, and he was wiped off the face of the Earth. Like, there was nothing to suggest he ever existed; no item drops, nothing. (A bit annoying because I'm trying to upgrade my soldier gear.)

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Yep, that's exactly how they work. One hit and the enemy gets sucked into a portal never to be seen again. The fact you get no drops form them is the downside to them being so strong - you can use them to get out of a difficult situation, but you won't get rewarded for it.

The Trial of Swords makes great use of this as a mechanic

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Cheers OR - the first hints were enough for me to find everything. The Tingle gear was a place I hadn't yet been to so wasn't on my map, and I assumed was separate from Hyrule Field. The Korok Mask I just walked around randomly in the area til I found it which wasn't too long.

As for the one you struggled with, not gonna lie, I got lucky and found that one by accident.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Glad to hear you got them

Now you too can enjoy being a grown man who has become a fairy

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:32 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:15 pm
Glad to hear you got them

Now you too can enjoy being a grown man who has become a fairy
Kooloo limpah!

Fisher
NNID: fisher87
3DS Friend Code: 1263-9353-5749

Post by Fisher » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:49 pm

did you check The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild dlc reviews.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

New 3DS XL FC is 1263-9353-5749 If you add me then please PM me

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 am

Fisher wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:49 pm
did you check The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild dlc reviews.
I've seen a few - mostly positive it seems just nothing amazing.
I've mostly enjoyed hunting for the DLC, and the new gear is pretty cool - particularly as I'm still playing the game. Tried the Trial of the Sword yesterday and realised quite how bad I am at the games combat without the assistance of high defence and health recoveries as I was down by Floor 6. I shall persevere though and hopefully get somewhat better.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 am

I think the reviews are fair. It's a decent DLC and Trial of the Swords is definitely worth playing if you want more from the game. It's not the largest DLC though.

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:30 am

So I've got 2 shrines, 8 side quests and 1 memory left to find, and a... whoooole bunch of bosses and korok seeds, etc., but gooseberry fool them for a minute. I legit have no clue on where to go about finding these last few things. (Memory spoiler)
gooseberry fool Impa showing that damn 144p picture, like, where the gooseberry fool is it? I thought I found the place and walked around for like an hour trying to find the exact damn spot, but nothing.
I'm not the kind of player to use guides or anything, but god damn does this seem a little too much. Like, 8 side quests? That seems like enough for me to still be able to just stumble upon some guy with a side quest, but I guess not.

[/rant]

Oh and I don't have the DLC yet, will probably get it when the other DLC comes out
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:34 am

Some of the sidequests can only be got at certain times of day in settlements.
Jezo wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:30 am
I thought I found the place and walked around for like an hour trying to find the exact damn spot, but nothing.
Where did you think it was?

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 am

The pink circle

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 am

That's not the place 8^)

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:25 am

REALLY!? I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED WHEN I DIDN'T FIND IT

but thank you that helps a lot

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Obscure hint then :)

Chances are you'll have passed through the area unless you opted not to head to Kakariko when you first jump off the great plateu, unless you went adventuring in a different direction meaning you potentially accessed Kakariko from a different angle.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Working my way around the north of the map now, cleared out all the shrines in the Lost Woods but don't have enough hearts to get the Master Sword yet so I carried on west and got to the ravine just before what I'm assuming is the Rito region. Spotted Dinraal but he was out of range so couldn't grab his scale for the Spring of Power quest so instead I checked out the Forgotten Temple and promptly had all my shields destroyed from failed laser parries, rip
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 pm

53 Hours in. 48 Shrines. At least 70+ Korok Seeds...

I've almost uncovered half the map.

Holy mother.

So, Went around Akkaka after Zoraville, (I say I went around - but this generally means I saw 5-10% first time looking) and as I was near Death Mountain decided this would be my next port of Call - AFTER going on a Master Sword Hunt. Those lost woods man... I mean I figured it out (follow the trail of ashes) but when you make it through and see it first time, and The Great Deku tree... and the Koroks... and the beautiful Music... I thought for a moment I was inside Mayazakis Masterpiece Princess Mononoke - that's the vibes this place gives me.

Turns out I wasn't strong enough (even after the trials... 10 hearts are NOT enough?) - so I figured this may be endgame material to return to later - worth a shot though and I know where it is.

Spent a good long while on Death Mountain, usually this is the least interesting area of a Zelda Game for me - not that I don't love the Gorons, but this place was awesome with so much to do (and lots to mine if you find the correct equipment hidden).

Managed to topple my 2nd Devine Beast - not quite as impressive as taking down Van Ruta but still good fun all the same. I then went shrine hunting and exploring for a good 10-20 hours in the regions I'd already got up on my map - which is the Akkakka Region and Lanryu areas mostly - I can't believe I hadn't explored some of these places properly - the ruined walkways, the icy mountains (TAKING DOWN A SPIRIT DRAGON!) - and still there's probably so much more to find. This game is amazing.

I randomly came across the shrine of power as well, but how do I get to the Spirit Dragon of this area? It was laid out for you on the mountains... but this guy seems too far away to tackle. I may have to come back to this later. Speaking of shrines... I'm almost certain The Shrine of Power is the earth shrine from Skyward Sword... it's almost identical. I've seen other little things like this about as well which are really nice callbacks to previous games.

Oh... and did I mention I just got The Master Sword - just a few more hearts did it! Woohoo. It makes me happy having this item halfway in. That's a Zelda Tradition for me. XD

It's time to explore some new areas now I reckon - although there's still loads to see where I'm currently at... but I want to move forwards and meet the Rito next - that's my next move.

I think overall if there's one downside to this game... It's finally finding that invisible wall at the end of the map XD It was always going to happen at some point - but whats over that chasm? I want to know and I can't get there! I think if Nintendo do ever create a bigger world than this next time... loop it. Loop the game-map where possible - this will keep the in-game immersion stronger than ever.r

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 pm

85 hours in now, had barely enough hearts for the Master sword but I just about got it at the 75 hour mark, this game is becoming easier as a result which makes it a bit less fun but whatever
The entire south of the map is pretty much unexplored for me, will probably head to the south east or desert today

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Damn, the Trial of the Sword really is a challenge. Took me over an hour to compete the fist section (not including my failed attempt), survived with 3 hearts and one fairy in backup. I'm scared to face the next part but man I want that powered up sword.