The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

What scares you more?

A Lynel in the distance
45%
The sound of a Guardian's laser lock on
36%
Electric god damn Keese
18%

Total votes: 33

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Nofes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Slowdown when moblins died was beautiful. Watching the game stutter as it flew off the side of a hill was my crack.
Bucket

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 am

So... apparently they was experimenting with the idea of including Alien invasion and Link on a motorbike, when developing what would later become BotW. https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/147827 ... s-gdc-2017 . To me (me being someone that liked Indiana Jones Crystal Skull [sorry], liked Hyrule was a track on Mario Kart 8, but didn't like you can play as Link on a motorbike) it all seems a bit eton mess and definitely a good thing it wasn't included in the final game.

Kind of a mute point, as it wasn't included in the game so presumably the developers also didn't think it was a good move in the end, I'm just interested in what they was thinking in the first place. Does anyone think it could-of-sort-of-maybe-worked-a-bit (before botw was released you might have said RObot Guardians were out of tone and I think Aliens were in MM weren't they?) ? Seeing that WInd Wakers cartoony design initially had a fan backlash pre-release it would have been quite funny if those concepts were leaked before we knew anything about what "the next Zelda game" would be :lol:

--------------------------------

In the interest of not wanting to finish BotW yet, I'm going to rest it for a bit when I get hold of the Snes Classic Mini and I'm going to finally play Link to the Past for the first time.
"soylent green is people"

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am

They created concepts with the goal of convention breaking. They weren't going to use them in the game, but they used it as an exercise to get people thinking outside the box when it comes to Zelda.
Bucket

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 am

Finally started this again on my Switch, this and Stardew Valley will do a very good job of filling my free time between now and when Super Mario Odyssey launches. While I'll probably still head to Kakariko first I'll probably do the Divine Beasts in a different order to mix it up. Definitely need to explore Lurein (something like that anyway) more this time, more or less skipped it completely in my playthrough of this earlier in the year.

Fisher
NNID: fisher87
3DS Friend Code: 1263-9353-5749

Post by Fisher » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:49 pm

i did 10 sidequests.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

New 3DS XL FC is 1263-9353-5749 If you add me then please PM me

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:49 pm

still doing sidequests.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:23 am

What did everyone think of the stranded on Eventide Island section - losing all my weaponary when I had quite a strong inventory was a bit it of a gem for me, something a bit different which came at just the right moment as my attention was starting to wain just a little.

One of my personal highlights of the game.
"soylent green is people"

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 am

Oh yeah, getting to that island and figuring out the best way to tackle that quest was great fun. Been a while so I can't remember specifics, but I know I went hardest to easiest with it.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah the island was great, presume the quest giver was located in Lurein Village? I went to the island but didn't explore Lurein so the quest giver was just '???'.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Oh yeah! So I beat this game! 140 hours, all shrines, all memories and 250ish Korok Seeds and almost all the side quests completed and I decided it was finally time to take on Ganon.

I actually put the game down for various periods because I didn't want to complete it - I always play Zelda through to the end until I'm fully done... but for the first time I was afraid of this game ending and not wanting to come back after - I like having an end goal and was scarred that I wouldn't return to this world after completion. I was dead wrong for feeling this way though, because although there is no post-game content (apart from the DLC's - sort-of) even though I'm done, I'm not done. There's always going to be something in this game to explore and find. I think that strength alone is probably what will make this the most renowned Zelda game of all time.

But yeah, taking on Ganon was about as climactic as I had hoped - even if if isn't the best final boss in the series (I still hold a torch for Wind Waker's Ganon's Tower Sword Fight and taking on Demise's final form in Skyward Sword).

The phase in which I had to destroy Ganon's ultimate guard before I could attack was a royal pain in the angel delight as well - and I know there are multiple solutions to this - and obviously I got some free parry's from my ultimate guard - but parrying in this game is not something I really practised much - and only by chance did I discover that 4 of my shields would REFLECT his goddamn beams back in his face without the need to parry. Gah! I also do wish the shadow of the colossus type showdown with the light arrows was longer too.

Overall, this is certainly is probably now my favourite Zelda title of all time. I've never had a game take my breath away and give me so many "moments" as this one has - in fact it felt like it was constantly impressing me. I think when Nintendo follow this up that whilst they need to stick to the open world & convention breaking formula, there are a few improvements to be made...

The shrines are a wonderful idea, but I did miss the larger Dungeons as well, the Divine Beasts sort of met us halfway... but it wasn't the same.

Also the fighting. THE FIGHTING. Because with battling - Bow and Arrow aside - this was probably the weakest element of BOTW, and certainly my least favourite battling system of all 3D Zelda games. I'm not talking about the weaponry and arsenal that you can collect or the ways in which you can take enemies on (because this WAS neat), it was the mechanics of battling that felt a little cumbersome compared to fighting with link in OOT/WW/TP/SS. It never quite felt as intuitive or as fluent as these games to me... maybe it's because of the multitude of weaponry? I dunno. I do understand that mastering parrying and dodging techniques go a long way to help you in battle, but even then the slow-mo of time feels... unearned to win, unlike with how this focus effect is necessary for the bow. As such I actually never really fought a whole lot in this game at all because I didn't really find it much fun. Probably why I haven't given much thought to Trial of The Sword actually...

But yeah. I was an explorer first and fighter second in this game. And for an exploration game, Nintendo absolutely nailed it and gave a pinnacle open-world Zelda experience that I have sought after since finishing The Wind Waker.
Robbo-92 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm
Yeah the island was great, presume the quest giver was located in Lurein Village? I went to the island but didn't explore Lurein so the quest giver was just '???'.
He is indeed. I don't think a lot of people find Lurelin before discovering Eventide really - everyone i know that made it there generally has discovered Eventide after exploring the coastal areas that surround Hateno Village.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 am

Good to hear your thoughts. I think the quality of the combat depends quite a bit on how the player wants to play. It's easy to make it boring if you play it in certain way, but there are so many ways of approaching combat.

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am

I now have 7 shrines left to find - determined not to use a guide but progress is definitely slowing. The Hero's Path feature is quite helpful at least. May find a few more this week but progress is likely to be swiftly halted by Mario Odyssey.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 am
Good to hear your thoughts. I think the quality of the combat depends quite a bit on how the player wants to play. It's easy to make it boring if you play it in certain way, but there are so many ways of approaching combat.
Yeah, that's true. I mean I wasn't all about the battling in this game and never really took the time to really hone my skills with particular weapons. That is a whole structure of the game to spend time and explore in itself really. To me it sort of felt like they simplified the combat ever so slightly to be able to maintain the way a player can approach situations, especially with the sheer amount of weapon variety on offer - and we have to consider considering nothing is durable - so you're constantly switching weapons or saving weapons.

I dunno, It did work. But i think because I could skip or run from battles (where most of the time this wasn't an option in previous Zelda's) - I did. I favoured stealth and exploration. If a saw a Lynel or a new mountain to climb I'd always choose the mountain. Perhaps a Lynel is a poor choice for an example there, but you get what I mean. XD

But then that's another factor towards what makes this game incredible because it is truly at your own leisure to discover and find what the game has to offer since everyones experiences in how they play it will always be different. We'll all still share some classic moments in this game to talk about for sure... but there are thousands more that will be really personal to the player.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:49 pm

how many sidequests have you complete.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 am

i haven't complete any sidequests because I don't own the game

how many side quests have you complete fisher

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Sidequests were probably the weakest aspect of the game imo, the problem with not having heart pieces anymore plus the durability system was that there was never any meaningful reward (apart from shrine quests).
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Rik wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm
Sidequests were probably the weakest aspect of the game imo, the problem with not having heart pieces anymore plus the durability system was that there was never any meaningful reward (apart from shrine quests).
Also, a full 3 stamina circles or 3 extra hearts?... the choice is yours. Gah!!!

But you know what I'll go for obviously Nintendo... and now I have that eyesore of a complete set of incomplete hearts in the corner makes me just feel ='(

I know I can exchange for it, and I know meals will temporarily increase my heart health to the max... but it is NOT THE SAME.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:04 am

Sonicka wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:59 pm
But you know what I'll go for obviously Nintendo... and now I have that eyesore of a complete set of incomplete hearts in the corner makes me just feel ='(
This is why I went for a full set of hearts, even though stamina would probably be more useful. Although I never came across anything I couldn't climb with less stamina than that still.
Rik wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm
I liked the sidequests - I just wish there were more of them. Following the message in a bottle back down Zora's river was one of my favourite parts of the game, and I really enjoyed building up Tarrey Town.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 pm

12 sidequests i complete.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am

Cruizer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 am
So... apparently they was experimenting with the idea of including Alien invasion and Link on a motorbike, when developing what would later become BotW. https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/147827 ... s-gdc-2017 . To me (me being someone that liked Indiana Jones Crystal Skull [sorry], liked Hyrule was a track on Mario Kart 8, but didn't like you can play as Link on a motorbike) it all seems a bit eton mess and definitely a good thing it wasn't included in the final game.
Nofes wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am
They created concepts with the goal of convention breaking. They weren't going to use them in the game, but they used it as an exercise to get people thinking outside the box when it comes to Zelda.
So uh about that

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Seeing the 'Master Cycle Zero' in the trailer, I don't think it looks especially out of place. Didn't realise they were adding several new shrines on top of the new dungeon either.

Pretty deep into Mario Odyssey currently so this DLC is on the back burner for now.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:31 pm

i ended up sepnding way more time on rouding up the new gear than i ment to, so ill be leaving it til tomorrow to give the ballad itself ago
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Currently knee deep into 100% Odyssey but I plan to finally finish off this game after I do now that both DLC are out. I'm still sitting on around 100 hours with only 2 Divine Beast taken down >,>
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Sander
NNID: sandereo
3DS Friend Code: 4639-9667-5361

Post by Sander » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Just started playing the DLC. It is quite hard, because when you get hit, you die. I couldn't even defeat one group of enemies. Probably because it's been so long since I played this game.

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm

What do people think of it? As from the trailers they really underwhelmed me and didn't make me think it was value for money, but obviously I haven't played it yet so cannot judge it yet. Just wondered what others think?