Formula Mario Kart - Reliving Glorious League Racing Pastime

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Erti147
NNID: erti147
Xbox Gamertag: Erti147
Steam ID: erti147

Formula Mario Kart - Reliving Glorious League Racing Pastime

Post by Erti147 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Mod move to whatever forum you think is relevant

Formula Mario Kart - one of the best if not the best league the original ONM forums ever had.

Competitive on the track and heated discussion on the forums, it last the best part of a year. Starting in May 2009, races took place at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, very unconventional when you look at league race schedules these days. Every week we would race on the same track, 4 times. This took about 15 minutes. Drivers were in a chatango chat room as this happened.

I was 14 at the time, spending basically all the free time I had on time trial, perfecting racing lines and trying to get the bragging rights of having the fastest time of the week, which I think awarded you extra league points, not sure.

But you're probably wondering, anybody could of won with all the weapons and all the commotion, but no, there was some seriously skilled players around back in the day where if you were fast enough, you could deal with the blue shells, green/red shells etc.

For the first season, we raced the on the new 16 tracks. So, obviously a 16 week long season. In the end somehow, I won. 7 years ago to the day, 26th September 2009.

I printed off a victor avatar that TheAPERSON made me on a bit of paper and stuck it on my wardrobe, been there ever since lolllllll

Season 2 wasn't quite the same in terms of glory, but it did result in making a friend, of whom was my teammate. I must have had chats with him for the next couple of years before that naturally came to an end

And Season 3 I think ended a few weeks in because of all the arguing on the forum lol

And I think there was a 4th Season on 3DS but I had fallen off the Nintendo bandwagon by then.

What am I doing now? 21 years old... being PC gamer, being a mod person on AOR, where I've been for 4 and a half years. Every time we''re sat on the grid, seeing the 5 red light alight as a race is about to start in an F1 league race or whatever game, I'll never forget the classic 3...2..1 countdown....Oh and remember to start pressing down the acceleration button as the 2 is about disappear from the countdown so you get the start boost. ;)

I even told everybody at school I was the 2009 British Mario Kart Champion, and they all believed me. Those were the days.

Erti
Hamilton fan boy. TRIPLE WORLD CHAMPION

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: Formula Mario Kart - Reliving Glorious League Racing Pas

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:13 pm

I was never involved with this, but it does sound like it was good fun. Or at least as fun as pre-8 Mario Kart can be :b
Erti147 wrote:Mod move to whatever forum you think is relevant
Mario Kart is a Nintendo game, so moved to GNC :)

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:34 pm

I was never involved either, only joining the ONM forums in mid 2010 and never really being an active member but as OR said it does sound like it was a lot of fun, fellow F1 addict (well I'm guessing you are considering your sig) here as well if the avatar didn't give it away :)

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:37 pm

I remember this taking place, though sadly i never got around to competing in it.
ImageImage

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:40 am

Oh boy, I created a monster all those years ago ;)

Ever since I got a Wii U and Mario Kart 8, and more importantly a good online connection I had considered bringing back Formula Mario Kart sometime since I could actually take part in it but I no longer have the appetite for forum games or online competitions as much anymore as I used to and certanly don't want to be organising anything which could get in the way of important parts of real life. But if anyone wants to organise their own version of Formula Mario Kart on MK8 then go right ahead.

The MK7 one had an incredible ending from what I can remember.

Erti147
NNID: erti147
Xbox Gamertag: Erti147
Steam ID: erti147

Post by Erti147 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:52 pm

Ape wrote:Oh boy, I created a monster all those years ago ;).
Oh ya sure did big man, good to see you're still around :)
Hamilton fan boy. TRIPLE WORLD CHAMPION

euan707
NNID: Cameron
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2551-9050

Post by euan707 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm

I'd be happy to take part in a Mario Kart tournement thing if it were to happen, although I'm a little too busy to organise it. I'd be up for doing it during Christmas or something though.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU