The Mario Kart Thread

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Re: The Mario Kart Thread

Post by DarkRula » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:46 am

Update 4.0 and the new DLC is out.
The tracks are interesting to race around, and Baby Park still has a bit of the madness from Double Dash. Not much, but it's there.
And I've found the best combination for 200cc mode already - Toad, Biddybug, Crimson wheels, Any Glider. Whoo, it is just absolutely crazy.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

DarkRula wrote:Update 4.0 and the new DLC is out.
The tracks are interesting to race around, and Baby Park still has a bit of the madness from Double Dash. Not much, but it's there.
And I've found the best combination for 200cc mode already - Toad, Biddybug, Crimson wheels, Any Glider. Whoo, it is just absolutely crazy.
:D cool, ill download it tonight !!! hopefully i can fit it onto the console so dont have to have the hard drive in all the time
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

TamzehVB
NNID: RedGuard587
3DS Friend Code: 068855986231

Post by TamzehVB » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:21 am

I've been trying to download the DLC and the patch, but (unsurprisingly) my internet connection doesn't want me to enjoy myself. I've spent most of the past 20 minutes shouting and wishing I could be somewhere where I can't get less than the MINIMUM speeds advertised for the area.

As it currently stands, I'm going to have to get the patch and DLC tonight, meaning I'll have nothing to do but sit around, wait, and grow tired.
Still looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
Sig by LightSamus
Inane Ramblings

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:30 am

Got 40mb Fibre broadband installed yesterday. Already worth the money as I downloaded the update in record time and have been playing it for the last half hour :P. SO DAMN FUN.

LostNoob
NNID: LostNoob
3DS Friend Code: 4313-1610-8457
PSN ID: thatlostnoob94
Xbox Gamertag: NlinjaNidoking
Steam ID: thatlostnoob94

Post by LostNoob » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:07 pm

Took me over an hour to download, its still not out though?
I've installed it, and I still get a message telling me to wait until release.
Bloody Nintendo -_-

Edit: 1GB for the DLC and it still needs a patch to make the DLC work, which doesn't even download immediately, I had to restart my Wii U before the 4.0 patch started downloading, about 150mb, so 15 minutes on my eton mess connection, I need a better internet connection, I haven't even touched the online mode yet for MK8 and its been out nearly a year.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:29 pm

I think my mind has entered 200cc mode itself, since after playing several cups in 200cc, I seem to expect everything in my life to go faster! :lol:

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Iv'e not attempted 200cc yet, but the two new cups are great. Animal Crossing is easily my favourite, closely followed by Wild Woods and Super Bell Subway. Neo Bowser City on the other hand is one that I'm not as keen on, but may grow to like over time.

In terms of characters and their associated vehicles, it's tricky to decide on a set-up that works for me but I'll find an overall preference eventually.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:26 pm

You should create a new thread where you review them more in-depth
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:51 pm

So excited to play tonight :mrgreen:
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: FIFA 18 and Rocket League

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:59 pm

New tracks are great - the Subway being my personal favorite with the unique track design and well implemented theme (really love the small details like the train announcements at the start and the signs to different courses). Baby Park is also pretty fun and chaotic especially in 200CC - speaking of which I generally think is a fun addition. It can get slightly irritating being knocked back so many places making s small mistake and some corners are just too awkward, however the better implemented brake feature helps a bit and I love how chaotic it feels. Whilst Bowser City is a pretty dull look, visually it's one of my favorites in the game with the rain oddly adding a lot to the course so I don't mind racing on it on that alone.

Also the Mega Man Amiibo suit is pretty awesome...
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Man, felt good to play some MK again. Forgot how gorgeous this game looks. 200cc is pretty overwhelming at first, but I really like it so far. Also the result sceen music on the Animal Crossing Tracks, thank you Nintendo.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

euan707
NNID: Cameron
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2551-9050

Post by euan707 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:12 pm

My thoughts of the new update, and Mario Kart 8 in general.
In the last few years, I've started playing video games less and less. Maybe it's because of school and exams, maybe it's just me "growing up", but the last game I really enjoyed, was Mario Kart 7. After putting around 500 hours into the game, and going through more R buttons than I care to mention, the game has gone into a special place in my heart, reserved for special things. Like cake. And, maybe also due to my increasing "maturity", I haven't really laughed at much in the way of Video Games.

But Mario Kart 8 made me laugh.

Trying the 200cc mode is one of the funnest things I've done in a while, and the game has, by far, been the most played on my WiiU. The original 32 tracks were good, a mix of different types and settings of tracks and playing through each grand prix took up a good while of my holidays. However, before even taking the DLC into account, the online modes are just as excellent as they were in the previous game. All this, and an... interesting character roster, sets the game up perfectly, for me anyway.

But what happens when you do take the DLC into account? Having bought both packs at once, not only have I the 6 new characters, but I've also now got the multicolored yoshis and shyguys and, although they're gathering dust, they're a nice touch.

As for the first pack, the 8 tracks are excellent. While I can't name all of them, rather than being a sign of how boring they are, for me it's a sign of how well they've fit into the original 8. I wish I could say the same for the characters but, while Link became my main character, the other two have escaped my mind completely, and this is just having played the game half an hour ago.

Moving onto the second pack, I think the tracks highlight my favorite things about Mario Kart. The retro tracks have been revamped and rebooted and recolored and resomethingelsed. But the main attraction is the new tracks. Fresh new ideas combined with tried and tested oldies can only end in perfection in this series, and a prime example of this is Big Blue, the new FZero track. The water-slide feel really shines here, and when stuck together with anti-grav and an extra long 3-section track has to be my favorite of the new tracks. That's not to say the other tracks aren't great - they are (bar maybe Neo Bowser, but that's just personal opinion) - but Big Blue has to be the best.

And I'd also like to say that Villager is actually the cutest thing I've ever seen and if you disagree you're wrong and that's a fact.
Those are my thoughts, and I'd like to say that if anyone wants thoroughly thrashed to pieces, then drop me a PM, my Villager and I are waiting...
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:30 pm

euan707 wrote:In the last few years, I've started playing video games less and less. Maybe it's because of school and exams, maybe it's just me "growing up", but the last game I really enjoyed, was Mario Kart 7. After putting around 500 hours into the game, and going through more R buttons than I care to mention, the game has gone into a special place in my heart, reserved for special things. Like cake. And, maybe also due to my increasing "maturity", I haven't really laughed at much in the way of Video Games.
>"growing up"
>increasing "maturity"
>Like cake

kek

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:34 pm

love it all tracks new and old, karts, racers, mii suits
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:38 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:love it all tracks new and old, karts, racers, mii suits
Hey m8, Toad's in this one.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Wow.

The guy who thought of 200cc has a very special place in hell. It's hard as gorram' nails.

New courses are awesome, 200cc is awesome, new characters & karts are awesome, everything is awesome.

Nintendo are doing DLC right.
Thank you.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 pm

As everyone's said, new tracks are indeed awesome!

But I've been thinking: now that we have DLC set 2 for Mario Kart 8, do you think its possible that we may see a DLC pack 3 and 4? It could be a surprise announcement at this years E3, and I wouldn't mind seeing another couple of DLC packs as long as we get some more vastly different characters, although maybe not branch out into a more "Smash Kart" vibe. Rather, have some obscure characters from the Mario Universe, say Fawful or Wart.

But I highly doubt that will happen

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Not had much chance to play it (just an hour over the afternoon/evening) but what I have played is just great, although the Animal Crossing track feels very short, the new F-Zero themed track is really good as well. Also I've never been a fan of bikes but for some reason seem to do ok with the Animal Crossing bike.

I've tried 200cc very briefly (like one race) and didn't find it bad but it was on Baby Park!

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 pm

I've been on 200cc, what - three hours or so now - and I'm getting into the groove of it. Then I find a track I haven't been on gives me a challenge, like Bone Dry Dunes, where the gliding section needs forceful handling to not end up crashing into the wall. Or off-road physics and bumps. Really throws you off. It ain't half a load of fun though.
But is anyone else getting the feeling the CPU have the advantage for some reason? They just seem to be able to turn easier on occasion.

euan707

Post by euan707 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:19 pm

I played the first grand prix in 200cc and I had no problems, and didn't need to brake once. Although that might just be the courses...
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Time to organise that tournament 8-)
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: FIFA 18 and Rocket League

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:29 pm

swarf wrote:Time to organise that tournament 8-)
My Daisy is ready.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

euan707

Post by euan707 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 pm

My villager will thrash you all without batting an eyelid.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

Wiimote
NNID: ToadLucy
3DS Friend Code: 451105775238

Post by Wiimote » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:12 pm

DarkRula wrote:I've been on 200cc, what - three hours or so now - and I'm getting into the groove of it. Then I find a track I haven't been on gives me a challenge, like Bone Dry Dunes, where the gliding section needs forceful handling to not end up crashing into the wall. Or off-road physics and bumps. Really throws you off. It ain't half a load of fun though.
But is anyone else getting the feeling the CPU have the advantage for some reason? They just seem to be able to turn easier on occasion.
My CPU must be different as I saw about 3 of them fall off one course on 200cc on Wild Woods. Was funny.
Check out my Super Mario Maker levels https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... e/ToadLucy

New 3DS fc: 4511-0577-5238
NNID: ToadLucy

3DS XL fc: 5343-8571-2369
NNID: Toadsie

Thank you Evil Ted for my awesome avatar

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:31 am

Well, I've seen that too. Loads of times. But sometimes, every once in a while, I'll have messed up a corner that was tight or difficult to navigate, and while I'm recovering about three or four CPU would just pass me with not a care in the world how tight the corner is.