Super Mario Odyssey thread

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Super Mario Odyssey thread

Post by shy guy 64 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 pm

brand new 3D mario platformer get hyped people it looks glorious

ok i can't get the video to work

Added video for you :) - OR
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: Super Mario Oddessy thread

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I think it looks wonderful, and I love that the new york style city is called "New Donk City"

That is a glorious name

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Certainly the second best game of the show (first being Zelda), it looks amazing shame it isn't coming out till Christmas time.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:56 pm

nice to see them making an open world mario game. should have been launch title

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I think it looks tremendous although I'm not too sure about the New York mock-up setting. Mario just doesn't seem to fit with the more realistic style of that "level/world". The rest of the game though, stunning. Even down to his dance moves!

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:49 pm

ah thanks OR

have to say im liking the new races, the fork people, the robot watering cans and those skeleton guys
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:35 pm

new york city looks stupid, doesn't work with mario at all, it worked well with sonic in sonic adventure but it just doesn't fit with mario at all.

the rest of the game should be ok though

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:52 pm

This is pretty much my dream Mario game. Curious with how they'll handle the sandbox element. So far exploring they city looks fun as heck.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Looks great, glad there'll probably be a lot more exploration elements in the game judging from the trailer.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:08 pm

The realistic city setting is interesting. I don't particularly like it, but I don't hate it either. I think it'll grow on me, and otherwise the game looks very promising. A return to the sandbox style of 64/Sunshine is welcome, but especially welcome is the return to big epic 3D Mario games in general, something which I felt was absent on the Wii U whereas the Wii had not one but two. (Have to admit I still haven't played 3D World, but it looked to me like just a bigger 3D Land, which I enjoyed but was not blown away by).

LostNoob
NNID: LostNoob
3DS Friend Code: 4313-1610-8457
PSN ID: thatlostnoob94
Xbox Gamertag: NlinjaNidoking
Steam ID: thatlostnoob94

Post by LostNoob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 pm

It looks bizarre...
That blend of art styles will take some getting used to.

From what little gameplay they've shown, it does seem like my dream Mario game, sandbox levels, beautiful graphics, and it just looks so fun.
I'm disappointed that it's not coming out sooner, but too get a game like this in the first year of the Switch's launch is pretty cool.

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Scapegoat wrote:it worked well with sonic in sonic adventure
did it

did it
das a peepo

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:49 pm

Splatoon 2 at launch was a great start - much sooner than I expected in fact - but when they revealed Super Mario Oddessy, I became sold on the Switch for the holidays.

3D World was a fine game, but it's so great in and of itself to have another Mario on this scale to look forward to.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Looks great honestly, everything I'd ask for in a Mario game. All the locations look diverse and fun to explore. Makes me wanna dive in and play

also I thought the realistic city was jarring at first but I figured that's sort of the point

stevo26

Post by stevo26 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:20 am

the newyork city setting looks out of place its like that time you seen homer simpson in the real world it just didnt feel right, mario seemed really out of place among real world folk
i wonder if the new york setting is a sort of level hub? like peaches castle was in mario 64 from where you enter the real game worlds

cant wait to play it and zelda got my switch on preorder from shop to net

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 am

Kinda mislead myself to believe the City would be some kind of big hub world. Looks like it's going to be a part of many other locations you visit. Which makes since given the globe trotting theme of the game. Just gets me more excited tho. Just based on the variety of that trailer, we're in for a treat. GUYS, what if we get to travel back to Delfino???
Twitter

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:59 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:it worked well with sonic in sonic adventure
did it

did it
yes, sonic adventure 1 and 2 are 2 of the best sonic games in the series, next to the original sonic 1, 2 and knuckles.

exploring the city in adventure 1 was fun, there was a lot to do in there.
city escape and the other city levels in adventure 2 were gooseberry fool lit.

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:15 am

Sure they're good games, but Station Square and the other overworlds were total ass. Besides the Chao eggs and a few power ups they were completely barren.
das a peepo

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:34 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:Sure they're good games, but Station Square and the other overworlds were total ass. Besides the Chao eggs and a few power ups they were completely barren.
idk, I liked station square it was just a cool little overworld that wasn't the main aspect of the game anyway.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:37 am

Well it looks incredible.

I don't think we need to worry about whether or not it will be good - 3D Mario games are one of the most reliable, uniformly awesome set of games ever, so we can trust them whatever direction they take. I would have never thought having a New York-esq city as a sand-box overwrold was a good idea - but only judging by the trailer, it's looks like it works really well.

I love Mario 64, but I thought it was just a bit too open-world - that maybe because there was quite a lot of dead-space and whilst it's obviously technically impressive - I just feel it's a little visually unsatisfying. SO if Mario has to be open-world I think a city environment, where there's lot to do should work well. Also one of the things I love most about Mario is the tight controls and how fluidly he moves - so an urban jugle where there's lots of things for him to bounce, parkour and ascend to will be so cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Bit of side-note; I would love see a trailer of this game revealed to a live audience. I've always loved this video of TLOU 2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCmsgUTNLY0 being revealed to an audience - their initial enthusiasm when they've figured from the colour palet of the background that's it's probably something to do with TLOU, then a louder cheer when the fire-fly mark appears confirming it's TLOU 2, another cheer when Ellie's face come's into focus and another when Joel's sileothet comes into shot....it would have been awesome seeing an enthusiastic audience reaction when they saw that city-skyline, then realised it was a Mario game when he merged out of the sewer and start parkouring off.

------------------------------------------------
Chocolate-Milk wrote:Sure they're good games, but Station Square and the other overworlds were total ass. Besides the Chao eggs and a few power ups they were completely barren.
I love Sonic Adventure's but the city like overworld's didn't really do a lot for me - it just felt a bit bland and pointless and from memory (so I maybe mistaken), sonic was really out of scale with the people there and didn't react to Sonic in anyway.
"soylent green is people"

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 pm

H.Kazuhira wrote:This is pretty much my dream Mario game. Curious with how they'll handle the sandbox element. So far exploring they city looks fun as heck.

this ^^ :mrgreen:
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: Arms and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Cruizer

Re: Super Mario Odyssey thread

Post by Cruizer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:48 am

So this game is about him jumping out of the Mushroom Kingdom into a place that resembles Earth?

Thinking about it as cool as it is seeing M*rio in a real world city environment, it will be as cool seeing him manoeuvre around other photo-realistic environments - I'd like to see him run around a forest (so a more realistic one in the same vein that New Donk City is supposed to be a realistic city) and I presume the game will include that kind of stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------\\

Re-watched the trailler, That jump move where he spin throws his hat atop a skyscraper and bounces off of it to reach another skyscrapper looks fantastic.

------------------------------------

I mentioned elsewhere, I wonder if those eyes in his cap could be an indication the Switch will utilise some kind of VR functionality.
"soylent green is people"

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Cruizer wrote:Thinking about it as cool as it is seeing M*rio in a real world city environment, it will be as cool seeing him manoeuvre around other photo-realistic environments - I'd like to see him run around a forest (so a more realistic one in the same vein that New Donk City is supposed to be a realistic city) and I presume the game will include that kind of stuff.
I know what you're trying to get at, but it's definitely not a photo-realistic enviornment :lol: Sure, the city isn't as cartoony as usual Mario games, but it definitely isn't Mario in the real world (à la the recent Smurfs movies) which I'm thankful for!

This is my most anticipated Switch game, can't wait to hear more about it.

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:09 pm

I'll admit, only gripe are the NPC's in this area. It's just people in suits >,> But getting to the main point of this video, hot damn Mario still lookin' spry. Seeing new traversal methods gives me a lot of hope with how creative other worlds could be.
Twitter

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 am

Introducing Mario 06. Nintendo have made it to the Noughties.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!