ARMS - Another Test Punch!

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

Still playing?

Yes
38%
Occasionally
50%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

Nintendonator3000

Re: ARMS - Test Punch: 1st Test Punch Complete! Thoughts?

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:21 am

I mean to be fair, nobody said Nofes you're not allowed to be part of it, they said you won't join in with it based simply on the fact you didn't enjoy the game.

As for the chance of a competitive scene, I'm not really sure. Playing this game I feel that there is a level of depth, learning to curve your punches right, choosing which combination of gloves and individual character abilities to use strategies with, the triangle of grab, block, punch. However I did often find myself flailing around a bit, not to the point where it wasn't fun and not to the point that I won by purev randomness, but enough to perhaps put off any competitive gameplay.

Either way, competitive or not, I had fun with it and I think it'll do decently even if just on that basis.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am

Lets not argue about or attack people over something that has yet to be proven one way or another. Reason why you think a competitive scene is or is not likely, sure, but it seems silly to be absolute about something that has yet to happen or not happen.

I was away this weekend so missed the chances to play so far, but hopefully I'll give this a quick go at some point.

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Tue May 30, 2017 7:10 pm

The game isn't out yet, so I will not comment on how deep ARMS really is. But based on what I've played from the Test Punch, it is MUCH more than simply throwing punches. When you're in a 1v1, reading and anticipating what your opponent is about to do and countering feels amazing. You can't just blindly attack, it's easy to oppose. It's comparable to a traditional fighter in that sense. Right now, throws feels overpowered, but that's because we aren't tuned to react and counter quick enough yet. Once the Meta gets past this first hurdle, I think the competitive aspects will start to shine even further. We also have more Fighters and Arms to be added after release. Keeps things fresh and will prevent ARMS from getting stale.

Tried the Server exploit last night which works like a charm. I might use it as a way to get better and more in tune with the Motion Controls before release >,> I love Button Controls, but realised one flaw in that you can't freely control each arm, which limits more creative approaches.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

ARMS - 2nd Test Punch Details

Post by GuitarHero » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:58 am

There's been an update to the Test Punch which prevents the server exploit as it reverts the game to its original state so you'll have to go through the training again next time.

However, the main addition with this update is... We're getting Min Min's stage the Ramen Bowl to play this time. We're also getting Hoops and Skillshot to play, which I assume will replace V-Ball for the next test punch. No news on the other 3 characters being playable however.

Anyway, glad they're changing it up a bit as I was more interested in the basketball game than the volleyball one from the start. Although I think I'm gonna be quite limited with what I can play this weekend unfortunately, so I'm pleased I got plenty in last weekend.

swarf
NNID: liam23

Re: ARMS - 2nd Test Punch - Sat 01:00 (AM)

Post by swarf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Excellent news :mrgreen:
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: Arms and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Might break it out again to see what the new match-types are like. I'll certainly also try some other characters that I didn't play if I do.

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:08 pm

We've been getting Character trailers for the new fighters which make me assume we will be able to play as them. I really can't wait to try Hoops tho, seems like a fun mode that sure to get pretty heated.

Also a bunch of Previews have started going up from various outlets. Should help ease the hype until the next Test Punch.
Twitter

GuitarHero

ARMS - 2nd Test Punch - Twintelle!

Post by GuitarHero » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:03 pm

Literally due to the popular demand for her to be in it, Twintelle is gonna be playable in the next test punch. Source.

So expect to see a lot of people enjoying Twintelle in the next test punch!

swarf

Re: ARMS - 2nd Test Punch Underway!

Post by swarf » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:37 pm

skillshot is great! and hoops is all about grabbing which i'm pretty good at!

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Having played it a second time, I've decided this game is definitely not for me. Beyond the fact I was plagued with loads of connection issues today (rather odd seeing as there were none in the last session), I too often found myself flailing around and completely losing track of what was happening - more frustrating than anything. This is likely just me not being good at the game, but it was enough to put me off - along with the lack of single player content - so I won't get the game.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:37 pm

I found things a bit easier this time, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm a little more used to it or because I was up against players of a lower skill level than last time. Maybe a bit of both. I didn't get to play Hoops, but I enjoyed skillshot and the 3-on-1 battles against the head-thing seemed interesting.

Also I think I may be in love with Twintelle.
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

swarf

Post by swarf » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:23 pm

Majin_Nephets wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:37 pm
I found things a bit easier this time, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm a little more used to it or because I was up against players of a lower skill level than last time. Maybe a bit of both. I didn't get to play Hoops, but I enjoyed skillshot and the 3-on-1 battles against the head-thing seemed interesting.

Also I think I may be in love with Twintelle.
the battles against the boss were hard...especially when you were getting hit by some of your teammates... :?

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:37 pm

played a bit at 1pm

still not sure why people are so hot on this
Bucket

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Certainly was having more fun with it while my friend was here. We only stayed on it half an hour before a comm error struck. Certainly found skillshot to be my kind of thing, having won all matches of it we played. The head thing I'm sure is going to be a boss type mode, possibly found during the single player stuff, since it had a level. Lv5 was never beaten by anyone, though we got close. The only Lv4 we played against was beaten more easily. Never got to play the hoops game.
Still not sure if it's for me, though I'm sure reviews might sway me when its cheaper.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:58 am

It seems like a game that would benefit a bit from reaction between multiple players. I would consider getting the full game after that second testpunch but not at full price.

swarf

Post by swarf » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:41 am

DarkRula wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:50 pm
Certainly was having more fun with it while my friend was here. We only stayed on it half an hour before a comm error struck. Certainly found skillshot to be my kind of thing, having won all matches of it we played. The head thing I'm sure is going to be a boss type mode, possibly found during the single player stuff, since it had a level. Lv5 was never beaten by anyone, though we got close. The only Lv4 we played against was beaten more easily. Never got to play the hoops game.
Still not sure if it's for me, though I'm sure reviews might sway me when its cheaper.

You're right...level 5 seemed near impossible!

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Twintelle felt awesome to play as expected. Still gotta learn how to properly utilise her slow down mechanics, but It looks like it could be pretty op. Getting to try Headlock and Skill shot was pretty fun, but I never got a chance to play Hoops tho.
Twitter

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Some more fun modes to try out, but I'm beginning to feel more mixed about it.

The main thing is I'm not sure how long it will keep me engaged for my money's worth, which is a shame since it does seem like a nice, new and detailed IP that is certainly fun to play, but I think won't keep me playing for long enough.

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Twice in a row I was in a 2-on-2 match (one fight, one skillshot) and my partner disappeared straight away, so those weren't fun.

I think I'm getting more used to this game, and I can definitely see myself getting it in future, but I still don't think I'll pick it up right away.
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:03 pm

The testpunch has sort of made me feel like I already own the game when I don't. I think I'm along the same lines as Majin, I'll pick it up but not at full price, wait until it gets cheaper and perhaps by then the extra content they are supposedly adding to the game will also be all available by that point.

GuitarHero

Re: ARMS - Test Punches Complete! Will you get it?

Post by GuitarHero » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Only managed to get one session in this weekend, due to being away. Still had great fun though, although didn't get to try out all the modes. Looking forward to single player so I can hone my skills and work out the effective way to win some of the modes.

So I added a poll too, about whether the test punch has convinced you to get the game or not. Personally, I think I will get the game and just waiting on reviews to confirm this indeed should be a purchase for me. Looking forward to messing around with friends on this, along with some fun online.

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:48 pm

I decided skip the last Test Punch since I already feel more than satisfied with ARMS so far. It's rare I enjoy several aspects of these types of games that offer different ways to play. I won't just be sticking to 1v1 fights like I do in Smash.
Twitter

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 pm

I didn't get to try out the test punch at all sadly, still not sure if to get it or not
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 pm

well global testpunch has gone. was it any good then?

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 pm

H.Kazuhira wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:48 pm
I won't just be sticking to 1v1 fights like I do in Smash.
I can't even imagine playing smash like this